Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue cyclists set to face on-the-spot fines MOD WARNING in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

check_six wrote: »
    The plan with the on the spot fines is not to create or fix laws. The fines will be for breaches of existing laws.

Currently, the format is as follows:
    - You are stopped for some transgression.
    - The guard may or may not send you a summons. This could take many months. You won't know it's coming till it comes into your letterbox.
    - Day in court. Day off work. Guard has day off the street.
    - €200-€300 fine depending on the mood of the judge.

New format:
    - You are stopped for the same transgression as above.
    - Guard fines you.
    - €50 fine. End of story.

Much neater. And you get much better value for money on your rampage!

This to me would *promote* red light jumping. The time I would save jumping lights. Assuming caught once a month its probably worth the €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Falcon L wrote: »
    Silver. Not the best colour for visibility, I know. But during winter, I keep it well lit.
    And my bike and most of my cycling clothes are black, but likewise I keep myself well lit.

The point here is that saying that cyclists who wear black are being irresponsible is exactly like saying that people who buy black (or silver, grey, red or blue, apparently) cars are being irresponsible.

Intellectual honesty would dictate that if high-vis were to be required for cyclists, then only white, yellow, or gold cars should be legally allowed on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just on the clothing issue: I came across 2 cyclists in Dublin the other day. They were dressed entirely in black from their helmets to their shoes. Even their bikes were entirely black. Now, these guys were probably part of a club or something as they were identical.

Are there clubs that have entirely black garb? If so, isn't this being irresponsible?

While it was daytime, it was a very dull day and visibility was poor.

And yet you managed to see them, look at them from head to toe and judge that they were wearing the same gear. Just out of interest, were you driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just on the clothing issue: I came across 2 cyclists in Dublin the other day. They were dressed entirely in black from their helmets to their shoes. Even their bikes were entirely black. Now, these guys were probably part of a club or something as they were identical.

Are there clubs that have entirely black garb? If so, isn't this being irresponsible?

While it was daytime, it was a very dull day and visibility was poor.

No its not irresponsible. My car is Black, the seats are Black, the carpets are black. So at night..I turn on the Lights, Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

tunney wrote: »
    Bet as a motorist you complain about "cyclists not using the bike lanes". you know the ones that are on shared footpaths? that vunerable, less aware, pedestrians are on?

As it happens I don't - I do however complain about the short sighted answers that planners/councils came up with that give us all useless cycle lanes that don't actually help anyone.

Critically, for me it comes back to the point that each of us has a role in road safety and that comes down to understanding the impact you can have on more vulnerable road users - and at no point can we let our desire to make progress override that.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Jabel wrote: »
    Well Holy God…I turn my back for 5 minutes and there's a lights/hi-vis/pedestrians/rules/laws/enforcement/no I'm right, you're wrong/well if that's the way you're gonna type I'll.../I didn't say that, I said this/what? he wore black on a bike? tut tut..
    debate going on… it must be 2015!
    Happy new year folks

Wouldn't have happened if we were wearing helmets and high vis while browsing boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This to me would *promote* red light jumping. The time I would save jumping lights. Assuming caught once a month its probably worth the €50.
    Only if the level of enforcement remains the same. There'll be blitz initially (if it ever comes in), but after that I'd expect more enforcement as it won't waste as much of the cops time to process cases as it does now.

The cost to cyclists, and the costs to the state, is totally disproportionate as things stand, compared to motorised vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Fines on Spot for cyclists

From Today's Irish Indo.
    Finian will be pleased

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/rogue-cyclists-set-to-face-onthespot-fines-30884855.html

As is expected in such a rage drenched car dependent culture, a lot of the posters on the comments section coming up with some innovative road safety ideas like vrt for bikes, "road tax" for cyclists, mandatory insurance and flat fees and even chipping cyclists like dogs (have to say a first for me hearing ths one).

On the light jumping and no lights at night, I'm with it 100% but I'm sure it won't be enforced - was travelling the quays early this morning when a garda jeep in the bus lane ignored motor cyclists in the bus lane and the odd car slipping through a red light. Similarly, cars travelling in the dark with fog lights or partially working head lamps were ignored.

There'll be a blitz every now and again to tweak the statistics, but other than that business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

logically wrote: »
    Hopefully all kids with bikes will be chipped so that their owners can be traced and the owner of the kid can then be fined for the errant behaviour.
    FYI, children have parents or guardians, not owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Ya....but assuming if you're breaking every red light the odds of you getting run over by a car are pretty high, so getting hit by a car once in a life time maybe enough to negate any time you've saved up until that point by breaking the lights...might be worth the 50 euro but probably not worth a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I wear this Jacket: http://store.bicycle-line.com/eng/catalog-long_sleeve_jersey_impeto_blue-c1638.html

It has reflective strips which IMO is more than adequate, as long as you have descent (working) lights on your bike.

Definitely no need for This: http://www.hivis.net/20/High-Visibility/Hi-Vis-Vest/

Although a lot of people seem to think that wearing a hi viz vest is a suitable alternative to lights! I think those people should be fined.

I have the same jacket in red, my only complaint is that it doesn't have the headphone access to the rear zip pocket the older version had. Perfectly adequate cycling attire mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I am all for it, hope it is enforced and harshly. Start on the N11 please Garda. Cycling on footpaths should definitely be hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I hear there's a 1000 euro fine for breaking a red whilst commuter racing. About time this heinous act of civil disregard is addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Deedsie wrote: »
    I am all for it, hope it is enforced and harshly. Start on the N11 please Garda. Cycling on footpaths should definitely be hammered.

The foot path is the cycle lane. Seriously where do cyclists cycle on the footpath on the N11. I use it twice s day and have never seen a cyclists on the path outside the cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I am all for it, hope it is enforced and harshly. Start on the N11 please Garda. Walking in the cyclelane should definitely be hammered.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I have the same jacket in red, my only complaint is that it doesn't have the headphone access to the rear zip pocket the older version had. Perfectly adequate cycling attire mind you.

Actually its not the exact same as mine. Mine has a pocket specifically for an iPod which I use for listening to headphone while cycling*

* but that's a subject for another thread! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I would consider it the responsibility of any road user to make themselves as visible as possible. I would consider myself irresponsible if I walked on the side of a road dressed entirely in black, especially on a day with poor visibility.

When I drive my car on a dull day, I feel it is my responsibility to have it as visible as possible, with headlights on etc.

Maybe it's just me.

Well there's a difference between being a pedestrian on an unlit country road and in a well lit urban area.

Plus if you are unfortunate enough to clip someone while driving a car try the "they should've been more visible" defence with the judge and see how far you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

I would consider it the responsibility of any road user to make themselves as visible as possible. I would consider myself irresponsible if I walked on the side of a road dressed entirely in black, especially on a day with poor visibility.

When I drive my car on a dull day, I feel it is my responsibility to have it as visible as possible, with headlights on etc.

Maybe it's just me.

Is your car a yellow car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah while there at it cars parking on footpaths, disabled spaces, yellow lines and cycle lanes. The list goes on.

All joking aside I cannot condone cycling on footpaths - it's illegal and dangerous. Although I can see places around where I live where it's almost unavoidable - like at castleknock college, where the traffic can be backer up for around 500 metres at the lights. Or cycling up near Christchurch in the city centre - 2 lanes of traffic and no space for bikes. The road is so narrow that there's no space to pass on a bike. It's the lesser of two evils cycling along the path which some do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

The bit about "not wearing appropriate safety gear that identifies a cyclist in the dark" is the most worrying aspect of this. Will you be getting a €50 fine because your pedals don't have reflectors on them (even if your shoes and leggings do)?

The real problem with the obsession with hi-viz and helmets is that it distracts from more effective (but more difficult, more expensive, less populist) safety measures. The jurisdictions that have the best safety records for cycling do not enforce hi-viz or helmets. Cyclists in those places tend not to feel any need for them anyway, and are still safer because the more important legislative and infrastructure steps have been taken.

If all this proposal does is improve enforcement of shoddy legislation for cyclists trying to use shoddy infrastructure, then it will only make things worse.

I suspect that Fine Gael will require all cyclists to wear Patriotic Irish Freedom Fighter Lighting Equipment (PIFFLE):

333856.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ted1 wrote: »
    The foot path is the cycle lane. Seriously where do cyclists cycle on the footpath on the N11. I use it twice s day and have never seen a cyclists on the path outside the cycle lane
    I can't think of any section either. There's 100% shared sections around Stillorgan, with not even a line seperating pedestrians and cyclists, but it is definitely shared not footpath. I regularly encounter pedestrians in the cycle lanes though, although probably not as much as parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I regularly encounter pedestrians in the cycle lanes though, although probably not as much as parked cars.

I've never encountered pedestrians in parked cars. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Lumen wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing cars wearing their mandatory hi-vis vests.

They do. They're called headlights.

Long overdue to make cyclists wear some form of high viz clothing after dark. I always do when I take to the bike in winter. Doesn't have to be a "dorky yellow mac". Just an overall with a reflective strip that you can pop into your pocket or hand bag.

It's not like it's a helmet that you would have to carry round with you all day. I would oppose a move to make helmet wearing mandatory as much as I would warmly welcome compulsory hi-viz after dark.

Actually, I wouldn't even make hi-viz compulsory but I would make a poorly illuminated cyclist who gets hit by another vehicle after dark ineligible to claim against the other party's insurance. Ditto for traffic light jumpers who get hit. Instead of cashing in on their death, if such is the case, their bereaved widow/mother gets the bill for damage to the car's paint.

That would concentrate minds admirably.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so cars need lights but not reflective strips, whereas cyclists need both?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Another money making racket is all this is. Be hard enough for the gardai to enforce though when demanding names and addresses etc. Will cyclists be required to carry ID to prove who they are? Next we will be required to stick number plates on our bikes and pay road tax!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

eoz wrote: »
    Another money making racket is all this is. Be hard enough for the gardai to enforce though when demanding names and addresses etc. Will cyclists be required to carry ID to prove who they are? Next we will be required to stick number plates on our bikes and pay road tax!!!

Ihre Papiere bitte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

This is just scare mongering I think. It's not gonna be very easy to enforce. €50 fines hmmm. Will we have to carry ID to provide proof of our name and address when this comes in so they will not have John Frank or Mary giving micky mouse addresses to send fines to?

What's the age restriction gonna be? Can they fine a 10 year old on the foot path on his BMX?

No lights at night definitely should be an offence though. Breaking red lights I get that as well but since bikes are not mechanically propelled vehicles they will have to change the rule book to enforce those ones.

I'm quite new to cycling so excuse my ignorance if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

In early days of free state and up to increased car numbers, Gardai, especially in country areas, spent a lot of time and effort enforcing the absence of bike lights(when they were expensive and useless).

A neighbour, now long deceased gave his name and address to Garda on being caught without a light.

The address was Clashavougha(pronounced locally as Clash-a-woka).

After multiple demands to spell it which was countered each time by "your the man with the pen, Clashawoka boy Clashawoka" the guard gave up.

*Humour may be lost on non culchies :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe it's just me.

I had a similar debate in the running forum before Christmas, before being called a troll by some eejits because of my opinions on this.

But there's a feeling by some people that even in cities you should be wearing high viz when out running on a footpath, otherwise you're putting your life at risk if you don't. I just throw back the question that should you wear it if walking to the shop at night ?

There was even the scenario thrown at me that what if someone was driving and something appeared on the road, if you're not wearing high vis the driver is likely to aim for the footpath to avoid it and kill you.

Advertisement