Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 28-08-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched this and it rips off so many things from other sources like the short lived tv show New Amsterdam and also Unbreakable and Highlander, with a bit of Sherlock thrown in for good measure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

It certainly looks derivative alright but could be worth a watch. I like that the creepy guy from Bones is in it and the rest of the cast look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,466 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have always liked Judd Hirsch so I'll give it ago.

But I can't see it getting past one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

the preaired pilot is available on usu source

pretty enjoyable :cool:

mafaa wrote: »
    the preaired pilot is available on usu source

pretty enjoyable :cool:

Agreed I enjoyed it quiet a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,694 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If it is similar to New Amsterdam and Highlander, must have a look

Ioan Gruffudd is very likeable, surprised he never made it big in Hollywood in movies especially

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Honestly it felt like Sherlock Holmes ala Elementary (police investigation, knowledge about really odd subjects, eye for details like no one else etc.) with a bit of Highlander for the "live for ever" theme thrown in (i.e. side kick etc.).

Not that I'm complaining as it was enjoyable enough and I'll give it a season to let the characters evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Had a look at the promo a few mins ago & then found this thread - sounds like it could be worth a watch

Honestly the trailer looks like the show is the kind of easy to watch trash that will be perfect to throw on while having a bite to eat. The cast is good, the writing should be strong and honestly, something a little light and easy to relax too can be far preferable to some dense, dark, adult drama.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

3 episodes in and it's losing me I'm sorry to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

I think it's OK actually. It's not fantastic but it's not terrible. Ioain Graffud (sp) is dong a fine job. It's a new Elementary but lacking the spark that made that show hang on though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its a grand little show. Needs a bit more Highlander and a little less Law and Order crap to it. Speaking as a Sleepy Hollow fan, I can stomach daftness done well - just not Gods Gift feeling sorry for his immortal self. Have him do what any immortal would do - chainsmoke and have tequila for breakfast.

Agreed! He need's a bit more Gregory House to be believable. I know that's what I'd be if I was immortal. I guess they're not really going for edgy though. I'm guessing they're going for the Elementary factor, edgy just enough to look like it might be edgy but not edgy enough to actually offend anybody because it's edgy! :)

squonk wrote: »
    Agreed! He need's a bit more Gregory House to be believable. I know that's what I'd be if I was immortal. I guess they're not really going for edgy though. I'm guessing they're going for the Elementary factor, edgy just enough to look like it might be edgy but not edgy enough to actually offend anybody because it's edgy! :)
    But that's the problem; Elementary had persons who were intelligent enough with big enough personal issues to actually draw you in and being unlikeable. Forever is a very watered down version of it; if he had been played like lets say Dr House (brilliant but an asshole) it would be one thing but he's played like every womans perfect man who just happens to be immortal with a cast of people around him to make him look even nicer...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Ive seen 2 episodes and i like it. Its easy watching

If I get to look at Alana De La Garza for 40 mintues every week I'm happy enough with it.

The former Law and Order ADA's need to be in more shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Partway through the Pilot, I'm quite liking it so far. I'm also getting some Groundhog Day vibe off of this: if Henry is "every woman's ideal man", it's because he's had a lot of time to practice.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I'm really warming to this show. This week's episode with the investigation of the murder of the wealthy old woman was great. There was quite a nice twist to it but, more importantly, the episode had a warmth, sense of empathy and heart that you don't see that often. I was quite surprised. I've gone from being on the sideline to now rooting for the show. It's really settling down into something that could well be quite decent!

The lead character Henry Morgan has a nice charm and wit about him like Patrick Jane from The Mentalist

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Agree, I'm finding that I enjoy this show much more than I'd expected

I have to say I am surprised that I enjoy this show so much.

Another good episode and the mystery of the other immortal stalking Herny is really intersting.

• Advertisement

I have to say I am surprised that I enjoy this show so much.

Another good episode and the mystery of the other immortal stalking Herny is really intersting.

Yes, its actually starting to look like a "realistic" take on Highlander. At 2000 years + our mystery man has lived through the Roman Empire, the Dark Ages and into medieval times. Of course he's killed. Surviving through those times it was as much a part of life as taking the dog for a walk. Our hero is just a 200 year old toddler in comparison. Who occasionally needs his throat cut to stop embarrassing resurrections.
    The Ripper thing has been done to death but at least its out of the way early on.

Half way through the pilot and really enjoying the show, it's Highlander with a procedural twist and the kind of easy to watch 42 minutes that I can see myself looking forward to each week. Ioan Gruffud plays the role as a more likeable version of the unorthodox genius and there's a nice melancholy to how he plays things.

Watching episode 2 and the show really is growing on me, the scene with Abraham's eharmony picture gave me the heartiest laugh I've had in quite some time, certainly far more so than any comedy has this year.

I can see this quickly becoming a show I look forward to each week and one that much like Elementary could really defy expectation though hopefully I don't fall behind with this one as I've yet to finish up series one of Elementary, a show I really, really like.

Each episode just gets better and better and I'd go so far as to say that Forever is the best new show of the year. It may not be cutting edge or original but it has something that so many shows lack, there's a lot of heart to it and a warmth that is infectious. It examines death without being cynical or dour and treats the dead with respect. It really is just the kind of heart warming and empathetic show that is more concerned with telling a story than it is trying to be dark or so called adult.

Henry is a really great character and he plays the tortured soul brilliantly, there's a melancholy behind the character and he really does convey the tortured soul of one who has lived for so long yet never truly lived. Martinez at first comes across as a little one note but the writers know just how to play here and they way they've peppered her back story in nicely played.

The scene in episode five where Hanson refers to the dead body as "ADJ" and Henry instantly calls him on it is what separates the show from most. It's a scene which reminded me a lot of Longmire, another show I love where death is not something to be joked about.

ABC has given the show a full season order

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Watching episode two, and I'm seeing parallels with his style of not shutting the hell up talking when he catches the foe with how Sherlock natters on in Elementary.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The latest episode was very good. Kind of a shame that Henry didn't come clean to Jo, but maybe it's too early. Good scene at the end too.

The reveal of who "Adam" was - not surprising and a little underwhelming. I did like the Highlander reference though. At least they know that we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just caught up on this and oddly the thing I wonder the most is where do his clothes and belongings go? They can't just disappear since he always has the watch.

Also I wonder if he's actually immortal or if he just resets to the age he was the first time he died since he seems to die so often that he wouldn't even age a year. :) I know he probably is actually immortal.

Think he'll tell Jo by the end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just caught up on this and oddly the thing I wonder the most is where do his clothes and belongings go? They can't just disappear since he always has the watch.
    I'm on Ep.11 (Skinny Dipping) now, the episode in which
    his Nemesis stabs Henry's cab driver, hijacks the cab, "kills" himself" and the cab plunges in to the East River. Henry loses his watch in the process, and only gets it back when they pull the car out later. My take: Henry's Nemesis has some power over time.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement