Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a primary teacher in Ireland

Options
  • 18-12-2014 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,

I am living in Korea. I have a wife and a young baby. I want to move back to Ireland and train to be a primary school teacher.

There are a couple of issues I have though. One is that I need to study Irish. My Irish results in the Leaving Certificate don't meet the requirements meaning I need to study. With that in mind, here's
    Q1: Will I categorically have to sit the Irish Leaving Certificate in Ireland, or can I apply to teaching colleges after having studied by myself (or along with Kilroys College or the like) and prove oral/written ability during the interviewing process?

Q2: Sofar I have not found something like the equivalent to a PGCE primary that one could study in the UK. Are there any one-year full time courses to be trained in primary school teaching in The Republic of Ireland?

Cheers,

Niall.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do you want to work as a teacher, or just train as one?

I know, flippant response. But I really wouldn't bother. Feckall jobs. Thousands applying. Pay crap for new entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Hello,

I am living in Korea. I have a wife and a young baby. I want to move back to Ireland and train to be a primary school teacher.

There are a couple of issues I have though. One is that I need to study Irish. My Irish results in the Leaving Certificate don't meet the requirements meaning I need to study. With that in mind, here's
    Q1: Will I categorically have to sit the Irish Leaving Certificate in Ireland, or can I apply to teaching colleges after having studied by myself (or along with Kilroys College or the like) and prove oral/written ability during the interviewing process?

Q2: Sofar I have not found something like the equivalent to a PGCE primary that one could study in the UK. Are there any one-year full time courses to be trained in primary school teaching in The Republic of Ireland?

Cheers,

Niall.

You can do the Hibernia online one, I think it's 2 academic years though...but with regards to the Irish question...their website states

http://hiberniacollege.com/courses/professional-master-of-education-pme-in-primary-education/#Entry-Requirements
    The following will also satisfy the minimum Irish language requirement:

Diploma in Arts (Applied Irish) from University College Cork
    Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, level B2 from NUI Galway
    Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach from University College Dublin
    Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge from NUI Maynooth
    Diploma in Irish from the University of Ulster
    Dioploma sa Ghaeilge (An Ghaeilge sa Saol Comhaimseartha) of Aonad na Gaeilge from the University of Limerick
    A pass in a First Arts exam in Irish, NFQ Level 8
    Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge (TEG) Leibhéal B2 (Meánleibhéal 2)
    Minimum grade C in the NUI matriculation exam (pre-1992)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

hard to get a job as a teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NiallMcRobert

braddun wrote: »
    hard to get a job as a teacher

How hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NiallMcRobert

endacl wrote: »
    Do you want to work as a teacher, or just train as one?

I know, flippant response. But I really wouldn't bother. Feckall jobs. Thousands applying. Pay crap for new entrants.

I liked your response, flippant or not. It was humorous.

On "feckall jobs. Thousands applying." Do you have the stats on hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I liked your response, flippant or not. It was humorous.

On "feckall jobs. Thousands applying." Do you have the stats on hand?

Only anecdotally, I'm afraid. I know lots of teachers... Difficult to get a foot in the door, even subbing. Teaching allocations are being cut. Any post advertised will have dozens of applicants, many of whom will be very experienced. And, under the new regime, the pay and conditions just ain't what they used to be.

Don't let me put you off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The only statistic that I have is that a Principal of a primary school told me that a job application for a maternity leave cover contract will attract an average of 600 applications.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Hello,

Cheers,

Niall.

Do you have a Level 8 degree? If not, you'll need to do the 4-year course instead. Irish requirement will have to be completed first though.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Got out of college in 2010, still working maternity leave positions despite a good CV with lots of XP and skills. Work is hell to get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's quite expensive to do the Hibernia post grad.The other issue is that, having a wife and baby will tie you to a geographical area and limit the subbing you can do.

Advertisement