Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional feedback companies

Options
  • 12-12-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Has anyone used a company to look at their novel and give feedback. Just wondering if they are worth it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Well, I know Inkwell/writing.ie do a manuscript service, which seems to be good value for money.

I had a full novel assessed by Emma Walsh, which was not cheap, but I think it was worth it. I got seventeen pages of all the things that were wrong with my novel, and she was right about all of them, damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

EileenG wrote: »
    I had a full novel assessed by Emma Walsh, which was not cheap, but I think it was worth it. I got seventeen pages of all the things that were wrong with my novel, and she was right about all of them, damn it.

Look on the bright side Eileen. It was ONLY seventeen pages. I'm not a professional but I could find more than that wrong with many novels I've read.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

If you're going to that trouble why not just get an agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

catallus wrote: »
    If you're going to that trouble why not just get an agent?

Ah, sweet innocence. Because it's harder to get an agent than a publisher. An agent will not take you on unless you have a book that is already very close to being ready to publish. And if she does not accept you, she is not going to give you a crit of what's wrong with your novel, it's just, "Thanks, this is not for us."

Advertisement