Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of 2014: Best Deals on Bargain Alerts?

Options
  • 11-12-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

As we're coming to the end of 2014 I thought it would be good to look back on what you thought the best deals advertised on here were?

I'll start by saying the €370 flights from Dublin - Oz with Emirates were my best deal of the decade, not alone year!

How about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Not sure if it was on here but Flights from Dublin to Toronto return for €280 wins it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

LD Lines - The Ferry to Saint Nazaire.

Saved over €800 plus 3 hours diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Gillette Fusion razors we never received were a great bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

I agree. Got a free beard with mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭KrakityJones

The o2 clearance back in January

Got myself a htc one x+ 64Gb

On a 6 month contract for 30 quid (€180)
    I would have been spending 20 quid a month anyway on topup (€120) so that meant the phone cost me €60

Then sold my old iphone for €120

So all in all that bargain alert got me a new phone and 60 quid cash.

Now that is a bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Cloyne man

Steam mop- getting the better model and free kit as well

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Putting travelling aside I think the best physical deal this year was the recent Nikon D3200 for €250

I managed to get that this year and also last years best deal, the €25 SAD light.

Thanks BA and everyone on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

40 inch Samsung Smart TV for €365 back in February/March was a serious bargain. Super TV

Also got the 70% off Pandora with in store delivery which worked out great for presents for the missus.

The only other big deal I got off this was the Xbox One with 2 copies of Destiny for €379. I know there's been lots of good Xbox One bundle deals since but I sold the 2 copies of Destiny for 80 so only spent €299 on the console in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Dublin to Oz for sub €400 was an absolute beast of a deal.

Didn't have the wherewithal to jump on it at the time, but was glad to see a few Boardsies took the opportunity to head South at hell of a price.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057169354

• Registered Users Posts: 20,212 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Cipango wrote: »
    As we're coming to the end of 2014 I thought it would be good to look back on what you thought the best deals advertised on here were?

I'll start by saying the €370 flights from Dublin - Oz with Emirates were my best deal of the decade, not alone year!

How about you?

I remember looking at those and wondering would i pull the trigger and just go for it. by the time i had asked a few people if they fancied it , they were gone as the were too slow making up their minds. I should have just booked myself, as it turns out a friend is getting married in Victoria over the Christmas, but the grooms family is from perth , and most would be heading back there after the wedding to perth again. so all i would have to pay for was the 2 internal flights :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

+1

Still waiting for mine!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lots of small ones for me this year, nothing in particular stands out that I can remember

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Speaking of small ones, the deals love bullet best not be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The Setanta Sports for €1 in December and all of the deals that people reported following that. And the latest €99 for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Masala

[QUOTE The Setanta Sports for €1 in December.QUOTE]

Ya... that was wicked value!! And the craic we had all worrying about no-one in Setanta answering calls on the 30th/31st when we all trying to cancel!!

My Bargain was the 'beast' of a D-Lock from Amazon for my bikes....the ONGUARD PITBULL 8005 Lock...I got for £16 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

I got codes that someone posted up here and got efibre with eircom for eighteen months for 30 euro a month rather than having to pay fifty a month. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭onform

The Delonghi Magnifica bean to cup coffee maker for £200 on Amazon, have used it at least daily, super bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DeLonghi for me too - working great used it for 4-5 times a day every day for the last 8 months without any trouble. Paid half of what they go for in B&M shops in Ireland. Shipped to my door :)
    frash wrote: »
    LD Lines - The Ferry to Saint Nazaire.

Saved over €800 plus 3 hours diesel

That was 2013 - I booked just before Xmas myself and missed out on the very, very cheap opening offer for the first few customers.
    Time flies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Even though it wasn't on here (I mentioned it on the 11/11 Ali express sale thread) I got a beautiful flight leather jacket reduced from 377 to 37 quid.

It's really high quality and have lots of compliments. Well happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Even though it wasn't on here (I mentioned it on the 11/11 Ali express sale thread) I got a beautiful flight leather jacket reduced from 377 to 37 quid.

It's really high quality and have lots of compliments. Well happy with that.

Sounds interesting, happen to have a link for something similar? Looking for a retro tan leather jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I can't remember if it was this year or last year, but that little Le Creuset dish for €7 was brilliant.

I also have gotten loads of codes from the Tassimo thread. I only buy pods with a code now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Quite liked that Philips electric shaver from Argos (think that was this year)

The O2 fee phone on the six month contract was a doozie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

€404 for the Nikon D3300 in argos was the deal of the year for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

A recent BA for me. The 50% saving from Collins Press. Got several really beautiful books for a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Sounds interesting, happen to have a link for something similar? Looking for a retro tan leather jacket.

This is the item, still on sale. They have other colours, check the store.

It's lovely soft leather and has a warmish lining on the inside.

Fricking bargain as it's really nice, just make sure you get the correct measurements as they don't do returns and Asian sizes are different. I would recommend getting a tailors measuring tape.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-hot-sell-2014-new-winter-leather-jacket-Men-s-leisure-standing-collar-short-motorcycle/1296220_1912553635.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get any rope this year. Still, two weeks to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

This is the item, still on sale. They have other colours, check the store.

It's lovely soft leather and has a warmish lining on the inside.

Fricking bargain as it's really nice, just make sure you get the correct measurements as they don't do returns and Asian sizes are different. I would recommend getting a tailors measuring tape.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-hot-sell-2014-new-winter-leather-jacket-Men-s-leisure-standing-collar-short-motorcycle/1296220_1912553635.html

If I was a medium here would I go for large there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭emo72

i love this forum. reddit, imgur and bargain alerts. and BA way too often for fear of missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I got one or two decent Argos Deals at Black Friday, few small things throughout the year too.

I don't know if Bargain Alerts saved me any money in the long run though, I bought so much stuff I didn't need/couldn't afford because of this forum :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    If I was a medium here would I go for large there?

When I'm in China I always buy 2 - 3 sizes larger. I've a nice xxxl coat that would barely register as a large here for example.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement