Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

It has the same 'merits' (rightly or wrongly) as this existing thread surely?
    Half-baked Fruitcakes + Conserves

Perhaps jank has highlighted that just as you have read this thread as installing the inference "left wing = atheist" and rightly pointed out that this is unfair, the "right wing = religious" inference of the other thread isn't fair?

The thread title "Religious influence on Politics" doesn't have as good a ring to it though.

Yes, I think the link with the other Republican thread is obvious. Only, the OP of the other thread mentions that Michele Bachman has said that god wants her to run for president. There is constant mention of Republicans' appeals to god's will throughout the thread, it may descend into discussions of other topics, but religion and the Republican party is a constant theme right through. The connection between "Christian" and "Republican" in the US is not absolute, but there is certainly a connection.

In this OP, there is zero mention of religion, zero mention of atheism, zero reference to any of the usual themes discussed in this forum. People are imputing rationale to Jank, - "perhaps Jank has highlighted.."... "I think that is the point Jank is making..." etc. though this is giving the OP too much credit. In the "fruitcake" thread, there are constant references to Republicans and god, in this thread there is nothing of any relevance to A&A. He is not making any kind of point, he is simply trying, clumsily, to score points, and utterly failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,059 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robindch wrote: »
    Fruitcakes was originally for religiously-inspired silliness from the republican side in the 2012 US presidential election. After the election, the thread title changed to Republican fruitcakes, as there were few if any reports from religious silliness from the Democratic party. Then after that, the thread expanded to cover international right-wing fruitcakes in the widest sense as there were fruitcakes from outside the US too . . . I don't think the terms "left" and "right" contribute to any useful debate anyway.
    See, there's your problem. The US Republicans have a distinctive and explicit religious character - or, at least, they have a highly visible wing with such a character - but this is much less true of the corresponding movements elsewhere - UKIP, the Front Nationale, etc. Once the thread "internationalised" the right-wing = religious equation was untenable, and as matters turned out it choose to focus on right-wing nuttery, whether religious or not, rather than religion-related nuttery, whether right-wing or not. For a thread hosted in A&A, a focus on religion-related nuttery would have been more appropriate.

Perhaps the way forward is to kill off both the current threads and open a new one with a more conscious focus on religion-related nuttery. If there are to be two contrasting threads, they they probably should be nuttery inspired by religion, and nuttery inspired by antipathy to religion. (Though, FWIW, probably better just to have one thread.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

fisgon wrote: »
    In the "fruitcake" thread, there are constant references to Republicans and god. He is not making any kind of point, he is simply trying, clumsily, to score points, and utterly failing.

'You guys are just as bad'.

As you say this thread is little more than a failed attempt at point-scoring by trying to draw parallels between college students being all studenty, in a non-religious kinda way, and Religious Republican fruitcakes who are in the halls of power and who get to vote for wars and against marriage equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mod:

This thread is currently the designated thread for all things lefty that could be considered fruitcakes. This is of course subject to change. Any discussion on the legitimacy of this thread should happen in feedback.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well it would seem that the reporter in this Spectator article has an unlikely ally in Chris Rock (and indirectly George Carlin who is often mentioned here)

http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/chris-rock-frank-rich-in-conversation.html
    What do you make of the attempt to bar Bill Maher from speaking at Berkeley for his riff on Muslims?

Well, I love Bill, but I stopped playing colleges, and the reason is because they’re way too conservative.

In their political views?

Not in their political views — not like they’re voting Republican — but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.

When did you start to notice this?

About eight years ago. Probably a couple of tours ago. It was just like, This is not as much fun as it used to be. I remember talking to George Carlin before he died and him saying the exact same thing.

So, what has happened in the last 10 years or so that has brought about this religious devotion to political correctness where the biggest modern sin is to offend someone or a group of people. Are we just more sensitive or just more tolerant whereby we are actually more intolerant to people who don't share our view points?

• Advertisement

In short, people's conformist nature haven't changed. The requirements of their culture has and they expect others to fit neatly into that culture.

That is very simplistic way of looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

So here are a couple that i have trouble with...

I always though the NUS were fairly left leaning and liberal, so what is this all about?

I am not particularly familiar with the 'New Left Unity' party, but surely this is a little nutty?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 26,059 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The NUS are following the old Sinn Fein line of rejecting the "politics of condemnation" - remember that one? It's not that they support IS; it's just that they don't see much being acheived by condemning them. Or something like that. To be honest, that's not a bad way of thinking if you're trying to break out of cycle of mutual recriminations which is intensify confrontation rather than resolving it, but you do need to have some alternative strategy for addressing the confrontation.

As for the New Left Unity party, it's very new - last week was it's first conference - but I think it basically aspires to be to the UK Labour Party what UKIP is to the Tory Party - a ginger group which, by taking a stance to the left of the Labour party and providing a voting alternative for disillusioned Labour supporters, will force the Labour party leftwards. From that point of view its policies don't have to be workable or even intrinsically rational; they just have to be visibly to the left of Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

A black students' officer?

The SU has 0 power anyway, at most they will say they are against their actions, maybe arrange a few buses and pints to a protest.

Hozier's misogynistic now apparently.

(Shamelessly stolen from After Hours.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Turtwig wrote: »

There's some sort of dumb saying about nature abhorring a vacuum or some-such, but it really does seem that there *has* to be some group in society at all times tut-tutting and trying to enforce their morals via censorship and shunning on everyone else.

It's been a shock to me, that with the internet, and real freedom of speech and expression for billions of people that a small group of shrieking left-leaning "progressive" agitators have decided to use that power to attempt to silence others.

When you think of how something like Victoria's secrets would have been impossible in Catholic, conservative Ireland, it appears we have had only 15 years since ann summers opening its doors in Ireland, possibly signalling the end of a group of people who knew how to keep the Irish safe from themselves, before the eruption of a new group of tut-tutters, fighting the same old "evils" but this time for the "right" reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What was the Irish pop star thinking performing at the Victoria’s Secret show?

'Invite to the party after, wahayy' I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

OK, the only song of his that I've heard was "Take Me To Church", but surely his music would be a bit too dreary for something like a lingerie show?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been trying to work out why I get riled up by leftist nonsense even more than right-wing nonsense.

I think it's something to do with (rightly or wrongly) dismissing the right-wingers as poorly educated crazies from the arsehole of nowhere. If your culture firmly rejects science as a dangerous distraction from religion, it's no wonder you're going to believe bollocks like Creationism.

The stuff from the left, on the other hand, seems to be exported straight from universities - centers of learning. It feels like they should know better.

One explanation could be that, despite large numbers of people getting third level education these days, the rates at which they're taught critical thinking, skepticism and generally more science-based disciplines is still relatively low.

I think we're superficially "educating" our populations in the western world but there are still huge gaps in people's knowledge and that has lead to a large anti-intellectual and anti-rational bent on the left of the political spectrum that causes the same kind of politicisation of empirical issues as can be seen with climate change, evolution and so forth.

So the far right rejects the premise of science from the off (at least when it suits them) in favour of fantasy.
    The far left superficially accepts logic and reason but, through the Dunning-Kruger effect, miss the point and commit the same logical fallacies.

Forgive the rambling. It's almost certainly more complicated than that but it feels like that's at least part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Gbear wrote: »
    I think we're superficially "educating" our populations in the western world but there are still huge gaps in people's knowledge and that has lead to a large anti-intellectual and anti-rational bent on the left of the political spectrum that causes the same kind of politicisation of empirical issues as can be seen with climate change, evolution and so forth.

That kind of thinking is far more prevalent on the right than on the left. As you rightly say the anti-reality left is generally (with one major exception) on the wacko margins of left-leaning groupings, whereas anti-reality is safely ensconsed in the centre of right wing goups.

The left's biggest problems at the moment are two-fold, 1) the naive belief that renewables like wind &c. are the only solution to global warming while keeping power levels up. Without massive improvements this doesn't hold, we really do need nuclear power, and 2) the "four legs good, two legs bad" idea that any enemy of the US is automatically a good guy, for example the widespread (but thankfully not majority support) for the neo-Nazi regime in Russia, simply because the US is backing Ukraine.

I've been trying to work out why I get riled up by leftist nonsense even more than right-wing nonsense..

I watch Criminal Minds (Well, I did for a number of seasons anyway!) so I'm clearly very qualified here. You identify with left wing ideas and you perceive the bizarre arguments proposed by the more extreme left wingers as threats to the possible implementation of your ideals in society. It's your typical struggle between two alphas of a species. What one alpha wants for society isn't what the other wants but because they're alphas they perceive each other as the biggest threat facing them. Even if, objectively, there are far greater threats.

Now if someone can put that in the Reid Vernacular I'd be chuffed.
    :)

We'll have our PhD's in bolloxology in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

pH wrote: »
    When you think of how something like Victoria's secrets would have been impossible in Catholic, conservative Ireland, it appears we have had only 15 years since ann summers opening its doors in Ireland, possibly signalling the end of a group of people who knew how to keep the Irish safe from themselves, before the eruption of a new group of tut-tutters, fighting the same old "evils" but this time for the "right" reasons.

What's pathetic is that these are products sold to women by women, yet somehow men are to blame as ever.

Frightening that Turn Off The Red Light - an unholy alliance of nuns (after all the horrors they've perpetrated) and extreme feminists can get their agenda onto the legislative programme with hardly a murmur of opposition permitted to be aired. Apparently women who choose to sell sex don't know what's good for them, and men who choose to sell sex don't exist.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The author isn't getting a lot of support in the comments.

MrP

I've been trying to work out why I get riled up by leftist nonsense even more than right-wing nonsense.

I think it's something to do with (rightly or wrongly) dismissing the right-wingers as poorly educated crazies from the arsehole of nowhere. If your culture firmly rejects science as a dangerous distraction from religion, it's no wonder you're going to believe bollocks like Creationism.

The stuff from the left, on the other hand, seems to be exported straight from universities - centers of learning. It feels like they should know better.

One explanation could be that, despite large numbers of people getting third level education these days, the rates at which they're taught critical thinking, skepticism and generally more science-based disciplines is still relatively low.

So the far right rejects the premise of science from the off (at least when it suits them) in favour of fantasy.
    The far left superficially accepts logic and reason but, through the Dunning-Kruger effect, miss the point and commit the same logical fallacies.

Forgive the rambling. It's almost certainly more complicated than that but it feels like that's at least part of it.

I must agree with a lot of this. For me personally I do not see the extreme right as much of a threat than I do with the extreme left as the extreme left's moral arguments and value system are becoming the norm. We are moving away from faith based superstition regarding race and homosexuals (well in the western world anyway, lets leave the Muslim world out this as we will upset some people) into a more open and 'live and let live' society. The Puritan society of say the 1950's is well and truly gone. However, we seem to be slowly frog marching ourselves into a new age of liberal totalitarianism where groups who take offense to matters get on the airways/web and shutdown debate, pass moral judgement and create a veil of silence where openness, debate is curtailed ushering in an era of conservatism (in the name of equality) which many of us thought was behind us.

As mentioned, take the new Sex bill that is before the Dail that will criminalise men who pay for sex (women don't pay for sex apparently!). Ivana Bacik has an impressive CV no doubt yet she is the classic looney feminist. One on hand she would use the argument that a woman has a right to do with her body as she pleases in the abortion debate, yet on the other hand she wants to curtail this right that a woman cannot sell her body for sex. One one hand she says that women and men are equal in all matters especially when raising a child (the sex of parents do not matter) given the debate on gay marriage on the other hand she will argue vehemently for women quotas in boardrooms and politics (I thought sex did not matter? :confused:). It does not take someone to have a PHD to see the glaring hypocracsy in her own moral compas. I suppose this is why she is un-electable given the multiple times she has tried.

Yet, she (and others) like her would see themselves as the bastion of enlightenment and intelligence, steering society into an age of truth, logic and reason.

Take the Victoria Secret issue that emerged yesterday. The Irish Times would see itself as the national newspaper of record and reason and would claim to have a certain standard. It would certainly look down on the tabloids as rag tag publication and would definitely think itself superior than say the Indo and Examiner. The journalists who work there would think the same. "We are the best of the best!" Yet, when you read that tripe that Anthea McTiernam wrote one has to wonder if the emperor has no clothes. She is not the only one. Fintan O'Toole, Una Mullaly and of course how can we leave out John Waters yet he comes from the other side of the same coin.

Just take a read if you may at some of the tripe that Una Mullally regularly comes out with. Its god awful.

So why is this? Why do journalists who went to trinity, who did their BA and MA in journalism, maybe went on to do some fancy PHD in something or other continiously get it so wrong. People don't really think through the issues anymore. Critical thinking of a subject or coming to an argument about a subject rarely happens.

Take this youtube clip from the start until 2:30.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuGdlhKT5-M

This is not really a clip about David Starkey (even though I do agree with what he says), it is about the reaction of those who hear him e.g. @1.00. They just cannot believe or even contemplate the words coming from his mouth, yet on clear reflection after a few minutes they make perfect sense. These people in the screenshot are a Labour MP and representative from the Professional Footballers Association. Sure they speak well enough a sign of a good education but can they think?

The Labour MP in question is Rachel Reeves who went to a private girls school, is a graduate of Oxford with a major in Politics, Economics and Philosophy and also has a Masters in Economics. Pretty impressive, yet she cannot even entertain the point that David Starkey was trying to make, instead she pulls a face... I thought it was very illuminating personally which illustrates how detached many of our 'leaders' in the press, universities, NGO's, politicians are from day to day life. Many people like this exist in this enlightened bubble where their views are rarely if ever challenged and when Universities then take the stance that some topics cannot even be challenged on campus then what hope do we have to educate people in critical thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh, the faces they were making while he spoke uncomfortable truths... :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg's approach (ban) to large sized sodas always struck me as fairly moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg's approach (ban) to large sized sodas always struck me as fairly moronic.

Bloomberg is a Roosvelt Republican, therefore not even remotely left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

jank wrote: »
    One one hand she says that women and men are equal in all matters especially when raising a child (the sex of parents do not matter) given the debate on gay marriage on the other hand she will argue vehemently for women quotas in boardrooms and politics (I thought sex did not matter? :confused:).

I agree with a lot of what you have to say about the creep of a repressive anti-offence culture, and I strongly oppose it too, but you lose a lot of credibility when you say something like the above. You can't honestly think the above paragraph is the result of rational thinking?

Zillah wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you have to say about the creep of a repressive anti-offence culture, and I strongly oppose it too, but you lose a lot of credibility when you say something like the above. You can't honestly think the above paragraph is the result of rational thinking?

I am not sure I follow. The sex of a person matters in some instances yet in other instances it does matter. I am sure people can try to make a rational argument regarding that but its just blatant hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I am not sure I follow. The sex of a person matters in some instances yet in other instances it does matter. I am sure people can try to make a rational argument regarding that but its just blatant hypocrisy.

I don't think the dichotomy you are suggesting exists in the two instances you used to illustrate it tbh.

Saying that men are equally capable of parenting has no conflict with saying we need more women in boardrooms, or if it does you haven't shown it very well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Her position is that gender doesn't matter and people should stop acting as if it does. So when there is a glass ceiling on women getting into board rooms she objects because someone is acting as if gender was a limit on capability. If someone condemns same-sex parenting she objects for the same reason.

There is no appearance of hypocrisy if you understand the underlying principle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The journalists who work there would think the same. "We are the best of the best!" Yet, when you read that tripe that Anthea McTiernam wrote one has to wonder if the emperor has no clothes. She is not the only one. Fintan O'Toole, Una Mullaly and of course how can we leave out John Waters yet he comes from the other side of the same coin.
    from what i've heard (especially in relation to john waters) a lot of the columnists in the times would not regard themselves as a 'we'. i don't know if you can impute any collectivist thinking on their merits.

anyway, back to the topic at hand. many years ago, when i was in UCD, there was a move to ban nestle products from the SU shops on campus, in protest at their marketing of replacement breast milk products in third world countries. i voted against it; i reckon a boycott by those interested would have been more representative and justifiable than an outright ban.
    a lot of the above issues are driven by student politics rather than by student opinion per se, and student politics is a funny game at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

In a segment to make the FFRF guy look like a tool, the succeed completely. :D

Greenpeace activists did some bad damage to a Peruvian historical site. All in the name of the Earth and environment, oh the ironings.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102266065

To be fair, Greenpeace said it was shamed and sorry by the stunt.

• Advertisement

Greenpeace activists did some bad damage to a Peruvian historical site. All in the name of the Earth and environment, oh the ironings.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102266065

To be fair, Greenpeace said it was shamed and sorry by the stunt.

I was going to post about this. Seriously how stupid do you have to be.
    "Lets unfurl a large sign over a historical site and tremble all over the place while we are at it, all in the name of environmentalism."

Greenpeace have been known for this type of behaviour and its well known that they have been highjacked by extreme leftish elements.

The Co-founder wrote an open letter to the Wall Street journal titled 'Why I left Greenpeace' which exposed a large anti-science element in many environmental organisations today.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB120882720657033391

Advertisement