Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Ireland launching on Saorview 1st Jan 2015

Options
  • 01-12-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Confirmation that UTV Ireland is launching on Saorview on the 1st January 2015.

Press release from the department of communications below.
    The Minister for Communications, Alex White, T.D., today signed the order designating the new UTV Ireland television service for carriage on SAORVIEW. The decision means that Irish television viewers who rely on the SAORVIEW platform will be able to view the new service when it launches on New Year’s Day 2015.

The designation was made following a determination that UTV Ireland “is a television service having the character of a public service.” The designation was made under section 130(1)(a)(iv) of the Broadcasting Act 2009.

Source: http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2014/Minister+designates+new+UTV+Ireland+channel+for+carriage+on+SAORVIEW.htm
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Always knew it would................question is HD or SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends on ROI (Return on investment). If they think it won't make much difference to viewing figures they may be in SD. But still better than nothing and may provoke TV3 to actually try to be a decent Irish TV station, or close down, either would be good.

If Tv3 go HD, then they will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

The shame is that most of their source material (ITV network) will be in HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I asked Saorview through their Facebook page what epg number will UTVI be allocated they said they will announce the epg slot for UTVI before the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I asked Saorview through their Facebook page what epg number will UTVI be allocated they said they will announce the epg slot for UTVI before the end of the week.

Some info on EPG numbers:

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/12/psb-utv-ireland-announces-sky-cable-and.html#more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Always knew it would................question is HD or SD?

A reply by UTVI on their Facebook page earlier today. Not sure though from the answer, on what platform will it be in HD.

330367.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/UTVIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

On the UTVI mds blogg:

" We also announced our platform partners and, where possible, our channel numbers for UTV Ireland. If you have Sky we'll be in HD, also HD on UPC and eVision. Our EPG numbers on UPC will be 110, on Sky is 116 and on eVision is 108. Our position on Saorview will be announced shortly. We said we wanted to make UTV Ireland universally available and we've delivered that. There's also a UTV Player for catch-up on the move... and OnDemand services will follow later in the New Year."

No mention of HD on saorview. (Yet)

givecredit wrote: »
    On the UTVI mds blogg:

" We also announced our platform partners and, where possible, our channel numbers for UTV Ireland. If you have Sky we'll be in HD, also HD on UPC and eVision. Our EPG numbers on UPC will be 110, on Sky is 116 and on eVision is 108. Our position on Saorview will be announced shortly. We said we wanted to make UTV Ireland universally available and we've delivered that. There's also a UTV Player for catch-up on the move... and OnDemand services will follow later in the New Year."

No mention of HD on saorview. (Yet)

Hopefully it will be, since all the other platforms it's on are going to be in HD. Wouldn't look great for Saorview I think if we have another channel in rubbish 544x576 resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Wouldn't look great for Saorview I think if we have another channel in rubbish 544x576 resolution.

If that is the case then a reminder to UTV that their programming is available elsewhere for free and in HD might sway them further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭StreetLight

UTVI promo card now on Saorview Channel 6 in SD, replacing RTE News Now.

• Advertisement

Where are RTE News Now moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

One of the test channels has also been re-named "SAORVIEW Information" and is carrying a notice about re-tuning for the new channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

UTVI is now live on Sky too. Cant remember than EPG number but came across it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Where are RTE News Now moving to?
    My TV has it as LCN 21

UTVI is now live on Sky too. Cant remember than EPG number but came across it last night.

Sky HD 116
    Sky SD 267

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Sky HD 116
    Sky SD 267

Or the other way around if you do not subscribe to HD pack. (And as such you can't view the HD version...)

Piece added to the UTV Ireland Facebook page on how to tune in on Saorview.

330532.png

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

How ironic - the YouTube instruction video on how to add UTV-Ireland is 1080p HD, but the channel itself is SD.

UTV have been a complete disaster and embarrassment in NI since I can remember - there's no reason to believe they will be anything other than that in the South sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭corm500

330532.png

Well, If we are going by that it means we will not have UTVI in HD on Saorview. Which means if you want to Watch our newest all Ireland channel in HD you will have to pay for it. ITV HD on Freesat for me then. They dont charge people in the UK for the privelege of watching HD. Maybe UTV Ireland could learn a thing or two from them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

not too pushed either but will scan it into my combo box but as above it is always be iTV HD for me.

• Advertisement

Awful decision by UTV Ireland not to broadcast in HD on soarview, had they done this they would have blown TV3 out of the water. As it is TV3 now don't need to worry about having to upgrade to HD to stay in the game.

corm500 wrote: »
    Well, If we are going by that it means we will not have UTVI in HD on Saorview. Which means if you want to Watch our newest all Ireland channel in HD you will have to pay for it. ITV HD on Freesat for me then. They dont charge people in the UK for the privelege of watching HD. Maybe UTV Ireland could learn a thing or two from them:mad:

Terrestrial overspill alone will ensure that many on both sides of the border will be able to view both versions of it (UTV NI up North) via an aerial and scratch their heads wondering why UTVI is in SD while it's Northern cousin is in HD.

Answer from Saorview on their Facebook page re UTVI not being in HD on the platform.

330550.png

https://www.facebook.com/saorviewirl

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I notice an HD colour test card up on Saorview 'PT2102' maybe UTV Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Awful decision by UTV Ireland not to broadcast in HD on soarview, had they done this they would have blown TV3 out of the water. As it is TV3 now don't need to worry about having to upgrade to HD to stay in the game.

You are assuming that they couldn't be bothered with HD on Saorview, maybe it's not being offered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You are assuming that they couldn't be bothered with HD on Saorview, maybe it's not being offered

The capacity is available (2 HD test channels LCNs 12 & 14 already there), maybe SD until launch with new Saorview tariffs from Jan 1st for 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There is a seperate guide available for those who have a Triax TSC 114 combi-box as I found additional instructions on to how rescan UTV Ireland on that receiver.

http://www.saorview.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/TSC-114-guide.pdf

There was a notice about this below the Saorview rescan video on the Saorview webpage about rescanning for UTV Ireland.

http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/add-utv-ireland-to-saorview/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The Cush wrote: »
    The capacity is available, maybe SD until launch with new Saorview tariffs from Jan 1st for 2015?

Hardly.... its an SD test card. ..

It'll be an SD broadcast come January 1

If it was gonna be in HD. I'd image that it would be decided by now. ... It's only weeks to go.

UTVi would have had to arrange distribution rights for content, be it in HD or SD , long before its launch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just posting in the wrong forum just to say UTV Ireland is slotted for HD on 116 on my Sky box. Further details are available on the Satellite forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Switched over to RTE news now last night to see it had been replaced by the UTVi test card and RTE news now bumped down the channel list to 21.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement