Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Resort Recommendation

Options
  • 28-11-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

We are looking for advice on a Ski resort for late January in Europe for a beginner / better beginner standard.

We went to Zermatt in this year in January, did the ski school for a day and found most of the runs around the resort difficult.

We did manage the Blue runs on Sunnegga and the glacier run close to the Matterhorn and enjoyed both, but virtually all of the reds (stockhorn and Gornergrat) runs were very steep, and to be honest off putting for beginners / skiers with 1 week skiing.

We are in the mid 40's and don't mind spending a bit, on hotels, food etc...

Any and all recommendation welcome !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Saalbach or Westendorf could be nice. Both have lots of easy blue runs and are nice little villages, not too rowdy from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm a BIG fan of Morzine, especially good for learners and the main piste that goes down to the village, from the ski area, is a really nice, long blue, perfect for learning on. Gorgeous town, close to Geneva airport, good pubs & restaurants. I stayed in The Grand Tetras, basic, clean, accommodation, very reasonable and amazing food, you could certainly find better and more expensive though, if you wanted. Isn't 100% snow-sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

+1 on Morzine/Les Gets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Saas Fee, similar to Zermatt, but easier runs and terrain.

Saalbach in Austria or Chatel in France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Alpe d'Huez is a good place to learn or improve as there is a lot of easy wide open runs low down near some accommodation.
    Or try Cervinia in Italy, lovely wide open piste and some great restaurants in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

couchevel 1650, lovely handy runs and plenty of scope for progression if you wish.
    it's not the cheapest resort in the world though......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

maddness wrote: »
    Alpe d'Huez is a good place to learn or improve as there is a lot of easy wide open runs low down near some accommodation.
    Or try Cervinia in Italy, lovely wide open piste and some great restaurants in the town.

Alpe d'Huez is where I went on my first snow holiday :D

Only thing I'd say against it is, the bunny slopes are so close together and so close to the town, it gets very repetitive after a day or two.

If you've outgrown of the green slopes, and are happy to leave the nest, it's a great place.

Advertisement