Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Class areas and the annual race to get the tacky Christmas lights up first.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ah the old Irish and British tradition of being class obcessed, killjoy, curtain twitchers.

I really thought we'd moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The arbitrary fickleness of the internet.

You polish up a perfectly decent proletarian bashing thread for AH, sit back and wait for the blizzard of thanks to roll in but it mystifyingly goes down like a lead zeppelin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What question are you asking?

Why the rush to get the lights up six weeks before Christmas?

And why is this determination to get the lights up so early a predominantly notable attribute of working class areas.

Thats not me being snobbish or insulting to anyone as some of the respondents on here are quick to claim. Why would it be? Its a couple of simple questions based on my own observations.

Perhaps if people actually addressed what I'm saying rather than just attacking it because they can't see past the words 'working class' and automatically go into insulted mode, we might get somewhere.

Also I'm beginning to wonder if many of the posters on hear can actually read. There is an assumption that I don't like Christmas or Christmas lights.

Both are untrue. I enjoy Christmas and love lights. At Christmas.

Lapin wrote: »
    Why the rush to get the lights up six weeks before Christmas?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

anncoates wrote: »

See what I mean about people who can't read?

From my original post...

Two houses in particular have had theirs up for almost a fortnight now.

As for this....
    anncoates wrote: »
    The arbitrary fickleness of the internet.

You polish up a perfectly decent proletarian bashing thread for AH, sit back and wait for the blizzard of thanks to roll in but it mystifyingly goes down like a lead zeppelin.

Oh please. I learnt long ago that AH isn't the place for me to win popularity contests. I tend to challenge the conventional thinking of many people around here and they are uncomfortable with that. Thats why I get the usual insults in reply. But I can live with that as there are usually one or two capable of reasoned discussion.

If I wanted to go thanks whoring I'd open a thread about lighting farts, pissing contests or something along those lines. The kind of simple 'humour' that keeps so many around here amused.

• Advertisement

I tend to challenge the conventional thinking of many people around here and they are uncomfortable with that.

We just can't handle it, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, OP is right. I don't assume everyone in social housing is unemployed, but why should welfare go towards supplementing the stratospheric ESB bills for Christmas lights for those that are, not to mention the purchase cost?

It used to be in Ireland that people were brilliant at making ends meet, stretching a pound, saving and budgeting, and that was in a time when money was properly scarce, with very few external supports.

Now, the welfare suite has become so extensive, that people have no incentive to make responsible decisions and judgments of their own.

The Priority list seems to be - 1. Sky TV 2. Smartphones 3. Drink and Going out 4. Holidays 5. Toys 6. Food. 7. Medicine 8. Education

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

First world problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I don't have any on! Sexist! Are you assuming I wear make up because I have lady features?! :mad:

Things aren't going well for you....Gowlawhatever: Blacklisted.

I have no proof you have lady features. I was just trying to cheer you up because obviously you are self conscious about your eyes if you only go out in the night wearing sunglasses.

You on the rag or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I thought working class meant those who were working....not on the dole. Oh gawd, I'm so confused! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I thought working class meant those who were working....not on the dole. Oh gawd, I'm so confused! :(

No, working class means not working, middle class means working. Keep Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Why do you say working class when you talk about people who don't work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, working class means not working, middle class means working. Keep Up.

So all working class people don't work. Oh the deception!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭recyclops

I love when people complain about there electricity bill in jan/feb and complain that its the companies fault.

absolutely no sense of responsibility on their part for adding the electrical equivalent of a runway in their garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

There's a couple of working people's dwellings near the entrance to the manor that are adorned with the very 'ilumitatty' you've highlighted. I used to have my driver stop at the gatekeeper's lodge so that I could leave stale bread and tins of peas on their tiny little lawns to help them through this time of year.

One year one of the uncouth brutes that resides within chased the Benz and tossed a tin of peas right through the rear windscreen! No more help from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And why is this determination to get the lights up so early a predominantly notable attribute of working class areas.

But it's not! This is where you went wrong. You probably need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Whether on a council house or a Celtic Tiger mansion, either way, can't we all agree it looks like shit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Whether on a council house or a Celtic Tiger mansion, either way, can't we all agree it looks like shit?

No. I kinda like it, and not in an ironic cider-can-hipster way.

Oh mother of sweet divine jesus a thread about Christmas lights turns into a dole scroungers thread.

Yis are a shower of Bah Humbugs.

I hope all yizzer curtains fall down and yis have to see ALL THE LIGHTS ALL THE TIME.

Yiz.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Could we get some pictures of the offending houses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

IBTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I love driving around at Christmas with the children in the car looking at the lights. They love it too and some of the houses collect money for charity so that's good too. Why not have a bit of colour and sparkle in our lives.

The best light display I've ever seen is in Ballyfermot.. The house and even the garden is bedecked.

I've often swung by there to have a look even though it's out of my way.

If they have kids, they have won Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Oh mother of sweet divine jesus a thread about Christmas lights turns into a dole scroungers thread.

I hope all yizzer curtains fall down on real lighting candles and yis have to see the lines of fire engines with the blue flashy lights clashing with your orange glow ALL THE LIGHTS ALL THE TIME.

Yiz.

Just a minor tinkering with your post in a corrective manner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

What harm, if they like it, let them get on with it.

Some of you deserves nothing but soot and coal for Christmas. Miserable shytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

I hate these threads. Young middle-class people (or the ones who aspire to be) post about how they hate some signifiers of 'working-class culture' (certain clothes, pyjamas in public, now christmas lights). The poster looks like a narrow-minded tool lacking in self-awareness and doesn't realise he's just using a piece of culture to vent his dislike for a whole group of people. Then a few posts later you have people fighting about and focusing on welfare fraud, disability and those lazy bast*rds we're all paying just to sleep all day and watch telly, reinforcing the OPs prejudices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I hope all yizzer curtains fall down and yis have to see ALL THE LIGHTS ALL THE TIME.

Yiz.

Turning a thread on Christmas lights in to a dole bashing thread must almost win first prize for stretching the most tenuous link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Maybe its just me but what's wrong with it?
    Its been a tough year for a lot of people and xmas is a time to ENJOY.
    To see friends, have family return from abroad, have a couple of days off work for some folks where you can sit about all day watching shyte on the telly while eating entire tins of sweets in your pyjamas, and no-one bats an eyelid as well, its xmas.
    I love to see people put up lights and decorate their homes and gardens.
    Doesn't matter a jot to me if it is done in an entirely white and totally tasteful theme or if the strings of multi-coloured, flung up lights look like a very unfortunate trip to a drunk dentist. Its the entering into the spirit that I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

No Christmas lights here, my house looks like Dracula's castle (fun sized version)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yiz.

Couldn't agree more. 'Specially for you Whoopsie, have one of my favourite Christmas carols:

:D

Advertisement