Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi site Clonsilla road

Options
  • 08-02-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Aldi bought the site and paid a fortune for it. That was during the boom. They wanted to build a supermarket there. They also wanted to build loads and loads of apartments.

The density was too high and they were turned down. The last i heard they were appealing the decision to turn down their application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

So does that mean nothing for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Yep thats gonna be like that till things pick up (if ever) ALDI has the old school in Mulhuddart now for there next D15 location
    Starting work on it in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Yep thats gonna be like that till things pick up (if ever) ALDI has the old school in Mulhuddart now for there next D15 location
    Starting work on it in the next few months.

Not the Aldi site, but the one in that advert (ie. the narrower land directly beside the church) - Ive seen a bit of work in past two weeks with that land being cleaned and new gates going up - there might be a push now going on to try sell it.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

That's just around the corner from me, such an eyesore. There was formerly a house there owned by Miley Caldwell, who I believe ran for election in the 1990's. There was also quite a large (for the area) field behind the house where he had a couple of horses over the years. The "hoarding" now just shields some fairly unsavoury youths from view, I've seen all sort of scrotes coming and going through the gaps in the boards. Every time the gaps are fixed they are broken again, and the lock has been broken quite a few times.

I actually saw a horse in there a few weeks ago through the gap in the boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Looks like the eyesore has got worse!!!!
    They have replaced the wooden boarding with high level mesh fencing. You can now clearly see the derelict houses, which are now in much worse condition that before the hoarding was put up. Lots of graffiti, etc.

Does anybody know where we can make a complaint on this?
    I had though a condition of the planning permission ruling was that the site be kept secure and well maintained.
    The houses should be knocked down at this stage!

Does anybody know where we can make a complaint on this?
    I had though a condition of the planning permission ruling was that the site be kept secure and well maintained.
    The houses should be knocked down at this stage!

They were bricked up but the houses have actually been modified by someone with hammers to be stables... Hopefully these new fences wont have their locks cut off like the hoarding had.

Its scheduled to all be demolished at some time in the future acording to Fingal cc- real pity as its nice seeing the row of cottages reinstated- if only they hadnt been destroyed.

I sent a message to Aldi Ireland (via facebook as they are very active on that) - asking them if they would paint out the grafitti in the meantime- they replied they are thinking about it.

Maybe If a few sent the same request....

https://www.facebook.com/AldiIreland

“Roll it back”

Only up a week and its all bent up - looks like someone tried to climb over it and the posts used were so light they just folded.

291313.jpg

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

ozmo wrote: »
    Only up a week and its all bent up - looks like someone tried to climb over it and the posts used were so light they just folded.

I noticed that last night. That fence will come down without easily with a bit of brute force, hopefully the local shams will leave it alone...

It looks pretty bleak from the roadside and detracts from the character of the existing cottages in the vicinity. I would be of the view that the site will not be developed any time soon, perhaps reverting to hoarding would be the preferred approach in terms of maintaining visual amenity in the medium term (although that may attract graffiti, go figure).

• Advertisement

Looks a state alight - the old cottages were in fine condition until they removed the hedges and boarded it all up. Aldi have totally ruined the village.

Fingal meeting minutes said "Carew Kelly" Architects prepared the drawings / specification for the contractors to erect the paladin type fence. They were also tasked with preparing drawings / specification for both the demolition of the buildings *or* the erection of a fence to their rear in order to prevent access to the buildings.

Looks like they might have under-spec'ed the fence and went with the No Demolition option
    as there is now fence at the back - also there are now Huge gaping holes in the foot-path that the fence just passes over and would have been easier for the vandals to just go under the fence at these points rather than over.

“Roll it back”

I think the only solution at this point is to demolish the houses. At least that will expose the nice green space behind, and certainly be easier on the eye.
    Anybody got any idea on what the best way to progress this? Fingal CC, Aldi, Local counsillors?

Anybody got any idea on what the best way to progress this? Fingal CC, Aldi, Local counsillors?

My view would be local councilors in the first instance. If any of members of the Dublin 15 Community Council are listening, you may want to consider tabling this point for discussion at the next executive committee meeting, perhaps with a view to making a representation to Aldi directly.

Slightly off topic but Aldi paid way over the odds for this piece of land and its worth remembering that they sought approval to build a number of apartment blocks at the back of the store with a view to maximising their investment. High density apartment complexes are 2 a penny in D15 these days so the chances of a similar development going ahead in the future are slim (not withstanding the impact such a development would have on traffic volume in the immediate area).

I had expected them to submit an amended application minus the apartments, however on reflection, the site is too big for a standalone store and it wouldn't provide a sufficient rate of return to justify the investment. They may choose to shift the asset off their balance sheet and sell it off a reduced rate to generate some cash, that said they're doing pretty good right now and working capital is likely not an issue for them.

In the short term, my view would be that they would have no interest in demolishing the existing buildings as to do so serves no purpose from a commercial standpoint and may complicate subsequent planning submissions. The question is, does 'Like Aldi, Love Ireland' extend to Clonsilla?

In the short term, my view would be that they would have no interest in demolishing the existing buildings as to do so serves no purpose from a commercial standpoint and may complicate subsequent planning submissions.

It seems I spoke too soon, I note that demolition work has started in earnest on the cottages on the site. It will be interesting to see what happens next...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It seems I spoke too soon, I note that demolition work has started in earnest on the cottages on the site. It will be interesting to see what happens next...

Looks like that have started but is been two weeks or so since they have been back :confused:

They did two or so days work - progress but now there are several half torn down buildings - then left - nothing has happened with it in over two weeks now - it looks like they want to leave the front wall of the cottages standing - easier for future planning permissions I would imagine that leaving a nice green field.

“Roll it back”

oblivious wrote: »
    Looks like that have started but is been two weeks or so since they have been back :confused:

Aldi were served with a derelict site notice by Fingal Co Co, and ordered to demolish and make good the site or repair and paint the housed.
    So I would assume they'll fully demolish all the buildings.

I had assumed the lack of progress over the past two weeks was due to builder holidays. Hoping they'll start again soon.

Aldi are suppose to be submitting revised plans in the coming month.......

Work started again this week. Will be great to see the graffiti gone. Looks like they will be removing all the houses.

Interesting to see the new Aldi plans now.
    Still holding onto hope that they'll come up with a supermarket with a nice row of restaurants/independent retailers and low rise housing leading onto a new canal embankment...... Won't be holding by breath! :-(

I had assumed the lack of progress over the past two weeks was due to builder holidays. Hoping they'll start again soon.

There was also asbestos on the site according to a counciler news letter

New 2014 Aldi Planning application???

This notice was found on the canal path by a friend - Im not sure exactly where it was found but its likely the Aldi site - Ill ask tomorrow exactly where he took it.

Looks like could be just more houses rather than a shop?

2evrej9.jpg

Can anyone find the full plans online?

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

It's not the Aldi site.

Here are a couple of map links along with the planning information on Fingal Co. Co.

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00473520.pdf

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00473525.pdf

Planning Reference:
    FW14A/0081
    Date of Application:
    04-Jul-2014
    Date of Registration:
    04-Jul-2014
    Application Type:
    Permission
    Case Officer:
    Nicholas OKane
    Applicant:
    Denver Valley Developments Ltd
    Weaver's Walk, Clonsilla Road, Clonsilla, Dublin 15
    Proposal:
    The proposed development will consist of 21 no. two storey dwellings View full text
    Fingal Co Co Decision:
    Date of FCC Decision:
    Final Grant Date:
    Current Status:
    Registered application
    This application was received by Fingal County Council on 04-Jul-2014 and registered on 04-Jul-2014. Please note that in cases where the Registration date differs substantially to the Date of Application - this is usually as a result of the submission of Additional Information. This application is currently under consideration.
    Submission/Observation:
    Please Log On in order to submit your observation. Submissions/Observations to this application may be made on or before 07-Aug-2014

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    It's not the Aldi site.

Ahh - thanks - I see - its the land closer to the train station behind the Petrol Station.

Shame they couldn't have done anything to keep anything of that long line of tall trees
    - but the extra access from Clonsilla road to the canal would be nice though.

“Roll it back”

Looks like site notice has gone up with a planning application but there are no document associated with the appellation (site pans date 14/11 and online 19/11).

http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/apply-or-search-for-a-planning-application/search-planning-applications-online/searchplanningapplicationsonline/

oblivious wrote: »
    Looks like site notice has gone up with a planning application but there are no document associated with the appellation (site pans date 14/11 and online 19/11).

Here is the notice anyway - seems to be a Double floored building (previous it was 1 floor I think?) - 2 big signs

- offlicence as expected; but not looking forward to this bit as it cannot be a help to the underage drinking and the hassle it causes in the village and local housing estates :( )

and what could be an improved housing block - 3 bedroom units rather than lots of 1 bedroom bedsits.

v7y6f4.jpg

Would like see the full plans though.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Aldi are v good at looking for ID

Link to planning application here, one can expect maps and plans to be available online soon after submission.

I'm particularly interested to see the traffic study when it becomes available, increased volumes was one of the reasons why the original application was turned down. However, 20 houses versus 4 (or was it 6?) apartment blocks, as per the original application, will have a lesser impact. Original plan from 2008 below:

small-0_websize.jpg

Source: http://www.carewkelly.ie/projects/commercial/aldi-clonsilla/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The scale of that is way too ambitious for the road infrastructure. My educated guess is traffic considerations will scupper it.

Theyll probably be back in year for the houses only....

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The scale of that is way too ambitious for the road infrastructure. My educated guess is traffic considerations will scupper it.

Theyll probably be back in year for the houses only....

Traffic would be mine to, the spar-Ravellos is getting bloody dangerous will cars just pulling out into on coming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

Is this just going to be an annual event where Aldi keep submitting revised plans until they finally get planning permission? The simple fact is that the site is not suitable for a supermarket. Even the increased traffic from a residential development will have a large impact on traffic on Clonsilla Road, so I dread to think what it would be like with an Aldi there.

• Advertisement

Advertisement