Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heat getting to radiators

Options
  • 23-11-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

No heat getting to 3 of the rads in my system. Had to drain entire system to fit a new rad in bedroom so thought that would have cleared any air lock but didn't work. Pipes feeding those rads aren't heating at all. Is this a sign of air lock or sludge or something else? How to fix? Power flush? Chemicals? Anything I can do diy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

No heat getting to 3 of the rads in my system. Had to drain entire system to fit a new rad in bedroom so thought that would have cleared any air lock but didn't work. Pipes feeding those rads aren't heating at all. Is this a sign of air lock or sludge or something else? How to fix? Power flush? Chemicals? Anything I can do diy?

Were they working before you drained the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

2 of them were not working now I have a third not working since I added the new rad yesterday. balancing maybe. Will have a go at this today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

well bled i presume ?

2 of them were not working now I have a third not working since I added the new rad yesterday. balancing maybe. Will have a go at this today.

Turn off the ones that are working first. Also close the balance valve in the Hotpress

Is the balanc valve the feed into the water tank in the hot press or the return feed at the bottom of the tank?

Yeah well bled.

• Advertisement

So turned off the feed to the tank. Turned off all working rads. Still no feed to the 3 ( it's not that the waters getting there, the feed is cold at the rads).

Tried opening all rads again and balancing by closing the returns and opening a half turn. Still no warm feed to the not working rads. Lost at this stage. 1 of the rads is downstairs. 2 upstairs.

So turned off the feed to the tank. Turned off all working rads. Still no feed to the 3 ( it's not that the waters getting there, the feed is cold at the rads).

Tried opening all rads again and balancing by closing the returns and opening a half turn. Still no warm feed to the not working rads. Lost at this stage. 1 of the rads is downstairs. 2 upstairs.

Sorry, yes close all working rads and the balance valve. It's the red wheel on the bottom of the cylinder in the return. When you took off old rad was there much black sludge in it?

Good bit of sludge all right. That's why was wondering can I add chemicals myself, leave for a few days and drain system again or does it need to be flushed.

Good bit of sludge all right. That's why was wondering can I add chemicals myself, leave for a few days and drain system again or does it need to be flushed.

You could do it that way but it's not great. nothing beats a proper powerflush to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

one thing to add if need be have a handy drain off fitted to nearest outlet when system is down.got that fitted in hall rad.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    one thing to add if need be have a handy drain off fitted to nearest outlet when system is down.got that fitted in hall rad.

I Fitted same thing a few years ago for that very reason. It's how I drain the system. :)

I Fitted same thing a few years ago for that very reason. It's how I drain the system. :)

Any luck with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You could do it that way but it's not great. nothing beats a proper powerflush to be honest.

What does a proper powerflush entail?

Triboro wrote: »
    What does a proper powerflush entail?

Ideally 3-4 days before I'd add my chemical to the system. Then on the day I'd hook my machine up, flush one rad at a time. When all the sludge has been collected by my magnets I'd flush fresh water through the system until the water in each rad is within 10% cleanliness of the mains. Then add inhibitor, turn on boiler and balance system

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Good bit of work so!

Triboro wrote: »
    Good bit of work so!

Yes, if done correctly.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes, if done correctly.
    co

I drained it again, refilled, bled system, balanced half turn all returns, switched off balance feed on hot water tank, no resolution. All rads burning hot but not the problematic 3. Still no hot water feed to them.

Here's a question if sludge is stopping the feed. if I drain the system how is water getting back into the 3 cold rads? I must check this actually to make sure it is draining from them.

co

I drained it again, refilled, bled system, balanced half turn all returns, switched off balance feed on hot water tank, no resolution. All rads burning hot but not the problematic 3. Still no hot water feed to them.

Here's a question if sludge is stopping the feed. if I drain the system how is water getting back into the 3 cold rads? I must check this actually to make sure it is draining from them.

More than likely sludge is your problem. They're refilling through the return pipe I'd imagine

update on this. So called the local plumber and he said he couldnt get out for 7-10 days to do power flush as so busy so as I know him and its not urgent I said ok. Missus silver gave out ****e to me and said too cold for her at home during day so gave this one more go myself.

Drained the system again, added a system cleaner and let it sit in the system for 3-4 days. Drained again from bottom valve and water was running clear. Rads still not heating. Grrrr.

So was looking at the boiler and the return feed has a release valve, I ran some water out of that and it came out solid black! I didnt have a fitting to go on that valve so ran 25-30 buckets of water which got steadily less black.

I thought all water would have ran out of the system from the lowest valve point but apparently not, the return feed must be either so gunked up it couldnt run out or this is by design that some water would always sit there in the return system.

Anyway, refilled system, rads still not heating but got a brainwave that if the TRVs had a lot of sludge in them which is a near certainty then they may need cleaning, drained system again, took all TRVs off and sure enough all the rads that werent heating up had their TRVs blocked with sludge, a lot of gunk came out of the valves, I refitted, refilled and success, all the rads that werent heating now are.

I ran another 15-20 buckets of water out of that return valve and whilst not black is still very murky, I dont know how many more Id have to do to clean it out completely using the bucket method and I doubt whether I ever would, so I suspect I could be doing that for days but it looks like Ive gotten past the worst of it as all rads are working now.

I didnt put inhibitor in because
    A) plumber doing powerflush next week to properly clean out
    B) new water softener going in next 2 weeks, I'll wait til I get that in and refill with softened water

2 questions

1. my boiler (Buderus G 105) has a temp range of 50 - 90 degrees. Is there any reason why it should be at one or the other? 5 bed semi, 4 rads downstairs, 7 upstairs. Or is it just pump up to the max

2. Should all the water in the return feed have drained off at the low point valve (off the rad in the hall) when I was draining or is it expected that some would have remained?

Advertisement