Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping grave diggers?

Options
  • 21-11-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

A little advice needed please - a friend mine told me that it is customary to give a tip to a grave digger. Where I am the undertaker pays the grave digger. Has anyone come across this practise? How much would a reasonable tip be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Traditions vary greatly around the country. Ask the undertaker looking after the funeral in question. Anything here would be based on local practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭brian_t

That custom probably comes from a time when mini-diggers didn't exist.

In our funeral expenses there was a €200 charge included for the grave diggers. I wouldn't feel the need to tip on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some undertakers do all the tipping and, of course, charge it to the client as an outlay. They have the advantage of knowing the local custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Where I am from the Undertaker tips the Gravediggers and then lists it in the funeral expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 big tommy

i also dig graves and a tip would be nice kind of an appriciation from the family for doing a good job as it is very hard work

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you now tip the digger driver

most times they are at lunch,so just leave an envelope at the grave site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

big tommy wrote: »
    i also dig graves and a tip would be nice kind of an appriciation from the family for doing a good job as it is very hard work

Is this hard work paid for in the first place?
    I've no doubt it exists, but is probably a tradition from a time when people weren't paid and were recognised for helping by doing such a thing.
    How good of a job can be made of digging a hole?
    Not that I dont think its hard work, Ive dug a few trenches by hand, aren't there usually mechanical diggers involved?

correct i have a digger and went to alot of expence so ya a tip would be nice or maybe get the rate up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I gets hired in to dig graves with the digger from time to time, undertaker pays me. Get the odd tip.

well digging a hole as you say for the first time the ground is very hard and not always can the digger be put in a position to dig the whole hole it can only be done with a very small digger cause graveyards were not layed out to occupy diggers. a grave opened for the first time can be dug to 7feet .id like to know what kind of trenches youv dug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

correct i have a digger and went to alot of expence so ya a tip would be nice or maybe get the rate up.
    €200 to dig a 6' hole with a mini digger. 20 ton excavator is €45/hour that's 4.5 hours work for an excavator. Somehow I don't believe you are underpaid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Sam Kade wrote: »
    €200 to dig a 6' hole with a mini digger. 20 ton excavator is €45/hour that's 4.5 hours work for an excavator. Somehow I don't believe you are underpaid ;)

I actually studied grave digging in sociology in University( I know its random). But was a prime example of the standardisation of Irish society. How Grave digging is no longer done by locals, but by professionals. Grave diggers require regular training courses, they have to be approved with certain councils and need insurance. That €200 is significantly less after taxes and expenses/

well whats the grave digger to do for the rest of the day and also its common practice to dig the day before so its really a 2 day thing to ensure that everything goes according to plan .also in my kneck of the woods we would only get maybe 1 or 2 graves a week on average

What size machine have you big tommy?

hfallada wrote: »
    I actually studied grave digging in sociology in University( I know its random). But was a prime example of the standardisation of Irish society. How Grave digging is no longer done by locals, but by professionals. Grave diggers require regular training courses, they have to be approved with certain councils and need insurance. That €200 is significantly less after taxes and expenses/
    20 tonne excavator drivers wouldn't need any of those courses or insurance of course :rolleyes:

hfallada wrote: »

you are so correct 200e wouldnt cover the cost at all at all because i now what you are talking about i have all courses done and public liability 2.5million cover required etc etc

20 tonne excavator drivers wouldn't need any of those courses or insurance of course :rolleyes:

ya right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭brian_t

.also in my kneck of the woods we would only get maybe 1 or 2 graves a week on average

Is grave digging your only source of income?

you are so correct 200e wouldnt cover the cost at all at all because i now what you are talking about i have all courses done and public liability 2.5million cover required etc etc
    Why would you need public liability isn't that only for land owners?

What size machine have you big tommy?

shes a 1.5 sir

• Advertisement

Why would you need public liability isn't that only for land owners?

in county council property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

well digging a hole as you say for the first time the ground is very hard and not always can the digger be put in a position to dig the whole hole it can only be done with a very small digger cause graveyards were not layed out to occupy diggers. a grave opened for the first time can be dug to 7feet .id like to know what kind of trenches youv dug

Didnt say it was all done by digger, and I admit its hard work.
    I'm just asking if you get paid for it, if so, I dont understand the need for the family to expect to tip also.
    I think the tipping part may have come from a time when people werent paid and did this as a local.
    I dont know for sure, but I thought the gravediggers were either on the payroll of the council or did other maintenance work around the graveyards.

I just feel its the kind of thing, putting out the hand to someone in a time of bereavement isnt nice (where they are paying for things at the cost they expect to be charged) to then effectively guilt someone into maintaining a tradition and having a few pieces of silver cross their hand too.
    well whats the grave digger to do for the rest of the day and also its common practice to dig the day before so its really a 2 day thing to ensure that everything goes according to plan .also in my kneck of the woods we would only get maybe 1 or 2 graves a week on average

I can appreciate that, but thats hardly the deceased family's concern, their concern is they just buried a relative.
    I'm not saying it isnt hard work, or you dont deserve a fair pay for the job you do, tipping on top of it, theres something that bothers me about tipping at times that are any landmark occasions in a person or familys life, the idea people should be made feel obligated to tip for fear of besmirching their dead relative or their own name because its a tradition, doesnt sit well with me.

edit, out of curiosity, what value are we talking here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

brian_t wrote: »
    Is grave digging your only source of income?

Jeez folks ja want to know what he eats for breakfast?

Pay the piper, call the tune and be on yer way.

Dunno about other areas but we usually have 3 local fellas with shovels... no courses, no insurance... just shovels.

Undertaker pays em and family might or might not tip (sometimes ive seen a bottle of whisky produced after its over!..)

Anyone says digging a grave is like digging any hole has obviously forgotten about the contents.... hence the whisky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

My family were recently charged €500 to dig a grave for a deceased relative, the charge was listed on the invoice received from the funeral director.

I personally thought it was daylight robbery. :(

bluemartin wrote: »
    My family were recently charged €500 to dig a grave for a deceased relative, the charge was listed on the invoice received from the funeral director.

I personally thought it was daylight robbery. :(

Diggers cost money to maintain and digging a grave ties them up for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Diggers cost money to maintain and digging a grave ties them up for the day.

It took them exactly two and half hours to dig it, they were just reopening an old grave.

There was no digger involved just a few lads with shovels.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Jeez folks ja want to know what he eats for breakfast?

Pay the piper, call the tune and be on yer way.

Dunno about other areas but we usually have 3 local fellas with shovels... no courses, no insurance... just shovels.

Undertaker pays em and family might or might not tip (sometimes ive seen a bottle of whisky produced after its over!..)

Anyone says digging a grave is like digging any hole has obviously forgotten about the contents.... hence the whisky.
    Not all graveyards are owned by the council a lot of them are still owned by the church I suppose the regulations would be more relaxed in those graveyards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

But sure you are getting paid to do the work by the undertaker which he includes in his bill to the family why do you expect more from the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Thanks be to god in my parish we still have locals digging graves. I know it is being phased out but I really think it's another step on to the road towards losing old important traditions.
    It is the very last thing that you can do for a family to show your respect and support for them. Why did it have to be changed? How many people were seriously injured digging graves!!!? I know it's really to do with insurance, health and safety etc but still. Sad when good enough just can't be left alone

• Advertisement

bluemartin wrote: »
    It took them exactly two and half hours to dig it, they were just reopening an old grave.

Ok but the machine could have been on a job miles away, take into account the cost of moving it to the graveyard and back.

Advertisement