Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours lean to roof sitting on boundary wall - planning needed?

Options
  • 21-11-2014 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I live in a small estate and have come home from work to discover that my neighbour has built a wooden lean to roof from the side of his house and sitting on the boundary wall between our properties. This roof is about about 10 feet wide at the front and runs along the size of the house for probably 20-25 feet.

I don't want to be officious but this thing is unsightly and all the run off water just runs onto my side of the boundary wall. Ideally, I'd like it taken down completely but seeing as my neighbour didn't bother telling me before it went up, it's unlikely he'll agree to tear it down just because I don't like it.

Would a structure like this usually require planning permission or do I just have to learn to live with it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pics?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Civil issue here. He is not allowed build on or over the boundary without your consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Basically you're allowed no more than 25 sq m total of covered area and not less than 25 sq m uncovered area remaining without requiring planning permission.

Has he any other additions to the property such as a garden shed or an exempted extension, garage conversion, car-port or even a porch? Many people incorrectly think that limit doesn't include the space covered by 'temporary' structures such as wooden garden sheds and lean-tos doesn't contribute to that area but it does.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Basically you're allowed no more than 25 sq m total of covered area and not less than 25 sq m uncovered area remaining without requiring planning permission.

Has he any other additions to the property such as a garden shed or an exempted extension, garage conversion, car-port or even a porch? Many people incorrectly think that limit doesn't include the space covered by 'temporary' structures such as wooden garden sheds and lean-tos doesn't contribute to that area but it does.

Would all be irrelevant if he has encroached on someone else's property?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kceire wrote: »
    Would all be irrelevant if he has encroached on someone else's property?
    No wouldn't be irrelevant at all, all the neighbour needs to do is move it back from the boundary. However the OP also stated he also preferred if the lean-to didn't exist and queried if it was legal.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No wouldn't be irrelevant at all, all the neighbour needs to do is move it back from the boundary. However the OP also stated he also preferred if the lean-to didn't exist and queried if it was legal.

Yeah totally true. The Neighbour needs to pull back the work to their side of the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 King Kong

All, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like my neighbour is definitely in the wrong. I guess from Kceire's reply saying that its a civil issue means that I'd have to contact a solicitor to look for the removal of the structure?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

King Kong wrote: »
    All, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like my neighbour is definitely in the wrong. I guess from Kceire's reply saying that its a civil issue means that I'd have to contact a solicitor to look for the removal of the structure?

Basically. The local authority cannot do anything about this (if it is a development exempt from planning permission).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 King Kong

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Pics?

Hi Syd - sorry, no idea how to attach a pic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

King Kong wrote: »
    Hi Syd - sorry, no idea how to attach a pic.

Unfortunately with less than 50 posts boards.ie account won't allow uploads. But if you leave out www. I'll update the post
    See below for how to upload
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq#faq_bie_faq_how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Contact local council about the building... ( don't mention run off water or it being on your boundary wall as they're civil matters ) . If neighbour gets contacted by council he may just remove the lean- to rather than risk the fines -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Markcheese wrote: »
    Contact local council about the building... ( don't mention run off water or it being on your boundary wall as they're civil matters ) . If neighbour gets contacted by council he may just remove the lean- to rather than risk the fines -

Contacted by the Council on what basis? What Department?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

kceire wrote: »
    Yeah totally true. The Neighbour needs to pull back the work to their side of the boundary.
    What size is the boundary?
    Is there a set size, like the width of a wall or something?
    How far from it would you need to be?

PeteK* wrote: »
    What size is the boundary?
    Is there a set size, like the width of a wall or something?
    How far from it would you need to be?

So that the structure and any rain water run off can be discharged on their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Does that mean they're only being unfair when it comes to the water running onto their neighbour's property?
    I know someone who covered their drains in tarmac and removed their downpipes and just used the neighbour's pipes! Cheeky if you ask me.

Still all a civil matter and nothing the Council can really do.

If you have the agreement of your neighbour you can drain anything you want into their property and/or build anything you want on a shared party/boundary wall...if you don't have the agreement of your neighbour, its simply trespass...that's why it's a civil matter.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You do not need a neighbor's permission anymore to build on a shared boundary.
    The law changed a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If you can do something about it I would. I know of an elderly lady (have only heard her side of story) whos neighbor did the the same and put a washing machine and tumble dryer alongside the wall. After a few years the neighbors asked her to repair the wall (perhaps to pay half not sure). Anyhow the old limestone wall came down she refused to rebuild it and they successfully sued her.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

The natural boundary is typically the center of the wall between the two properties. If your neighbour is over the boundary towards your property then he is in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭DvB

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You do not need a neighbor's permission anymore to build on a shared boundary.
    The law changed a few years ago.

Correct.

However, the discharging of surface water onto an adjoining property does require consent, therefore as already pointed out by a few posters this is a civil matter. Unfortunately for the OP the local authority in these instances tend to not get involved if there's no breach of planning and/or building control regulations (at least none of the ones I've dealt with anyway)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
Advertisement