Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diagnosing depression

Options
  • 04-10-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

The mind is such a hard thing to understand. I'm not a person who believes in taking pills for every ills. Anyway, recently I've had a lot of stress in my life and had a bit of a breakdown of sorts. Now after going to the doc, he says I am suffering from moderate depression. I'm also getting therapy sessions and my therapist told me I could do with a course of pills.

I know that in the medical industry that professionals are quick to throw drugs at you, but I just wondered if anyone has any insight into the difference in being depressed or just fed up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

Everybody gets fed up from time to time. Life events can get you down. However if all is well in your personal environment, ie no financial or family worries, no problems at work and you still feel down, then you may be suffering from depression. Symptoms may include difficulty in getting to sleep, early morning wakening, loss of libido, loss of interest in work and hobbies. Doctors are blamed for being to quick to prescribe antidepressants when "talking" therapies should be the first choice. Unfortunately talking therapies, at least for medical card patients, in some areas have waiting lists running to months. No worthwhile doctor would risk not treating a patient with depression while waiting a long time for a counsellor/therapist. The suicide rate in Ireland runs at twice the rate of death on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It may in part be linked with the time of year also. I go downhill from late August onwards with SAD and by December am running on fumes but I know it will ease after Christmas. Some get relief from Light Boxes etc. Worth a thought

Advertisement