Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jehovah’s Witness dies after she refuses blood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We're not vampires!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Interesting that you consider no religion a religious grouping. Nevertheless you have your figures completely wrong.

What i would like to see fr.o.m. Both you and hotblack, self-proclaimed freethinkers Both, is a list of the opinions you hold that aren't consensus views in your respektive societies.
    It's classed as a religious grouping by the CSO and where exactly are my figures wrong?

I never proclaimed myself a freethinker. I'm an atheist if you feel the need to label me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

branie2 wrote: »
    We're not vampires!

speak for yourself! vampire2.gif

here's more of it, except much worse imho as a parent (and a judge) are preventing the child from receiving proven, effective medical care, essentially sentencing the poor girl to death. :(

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/11/16/with-judges-ruling-in-favor-of-traditional-healing-a-child-may-soon-fall-victim-to-faith-based-treatment/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

It does in this forum :)

Only 21 years ago, male homosexual acts were still illegal in Ireland, and wide social acceptance has only really arrived within the last ten years or so, wide agreement with marriage equality later still, so anyone who grew up in a climate that homosexuality was unacceptable/wrong/a 'sin' and who doesn't hold that view today has rejected that value of the society (And probably family) they grew up in.

In general though, do you think people have similar - I am not saying exactly the same - values to the people that they grew up with.
    Just because you rejected you parents views on homosexuality does not mean you rejected their views on stealing, killing, obeying rules, charity etc. you didn't reject every value they taught you, you still shower, are polite to people. You did not come up with every single set of values you have right now by yourself and 'by magic' fit into Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Jehovah's eh, funny lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

vibe666 wrote: »
    here's more of it, except much worse imho as a parent (and a judge) are preventing the child from receiving proven, effective medical care, essentially sentencing the poor girl to death. :(

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/11/16/with-judges-ruling-in-favor-of-traditional-healing-a-child-may-soon-fall-victim-to-faith-based-treatment/

When the child dies the parents should be charged with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Definitely.

Again, I'm all for people over the age of 18 doing what they want. You want to do drugs? Off you go. You want to follow some stupid religion that could kill you if you need a blood transfusion? Go right ahead. It's your life, you're entitled to do what you want with it as long as it doesn't harm others. However, anyone under the age of 18 should be under the care of the state (i.e. all the under-age laws we currently have) and that includes receiving life-saving treatment regardless of whether the family consent or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Religious belief would be a reasonable grounds for discrimination in the workplace, a reasonable grounds to have social services take their children from them etc.

And so it should be, depending as I said on what the beliefs are, how they are applied, and what the effects. If for example the parents are of that type, that we have seen in the media before, that watch their children die slowly and painfully of perfectly treatable conditions.... solely because they think medical intervention is a religious sin...... then damn right we should be taking their children off them on religious grounds. Try and stop me.
    Yet you'd deny this right afforded to you to Jehovas Witnesses?

You know disagreeing with people and denying people rights are two entirely different things right? Because it does not seem you do from how you write.
    And they don't have to agree with you and we can all get on with our lives (or deaths) protected by equal right for all. Right?

Depends what it is they believe, how they are applying that belief in reality, and what the effects are. You are not going to get a straight answer to this bait and switch question. The answer is clearly to be contextual each and every time.
    drkpower wrote: »
    It's easy (and lazy) to spout 'delusion' over the internet, but those who do run away very quickly when it comes to elaborating on the policy consequences of such a position.

That, or the political implications of it were never the point they were making, so they simply refused to be dragged off on a tangent. Let us never confuse refusal to be derailed as a retreat.

As I said earlier in the thread it is merely an interesting question to explore as to why, when two people present with unsubstantiated nonsense, that we react to each of them differently just because what one of them has is called "religion" and the other not.

And if there are implications and "tips of icebergs" for exploring such a question then so be it, that is a different conversation. But we as a society should bring it on and not retreat from "ooooo implications".

When you say for example "some on this thread are suggesting that JWs, by virtue of their beliefs, should be deemed incapable of making a decision" that might be accurate for some, but for others like me I simply strongly suggest we would do well to explore WHY when two people present with unsubstantiated delusions that we react to those two people differently, just because ONE of those delusions is called "religion" and the other not.

To me it is simply an interesting question, indicative of the special privilege religion has managed to carve out for itself. And speaking of people running away, in my experience the ones who run away are the ones who simply have no answer for why we treat two entirely unsubstantiated delusions differently when substantially they are the same in every way. While other people run away when they step in, try to steer someones conversation away from where they have it.... and simply fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

As I said earlier in the thread it is merely an interesting question to explore as to why, when two people present with unsubstantiated nonsense, that we react to each of them differently just because what one of them has is called "religion" and the other not.
    It certainly is an interesting question, and the distinction (at least the one accepted by law and medicine) boils down to 'process' versus 'outcome' (see above for further detail). Now, dont get me wrong, there is a debate as to whether and why that distinction applies, but i havent seen you join it (which seems unusual for someone who claims he wants to explore the matter). As i said earlier, if you do have something to add on that point, i'm all ears, but otherwise im just wasting my time on you.

Of course, while it is interesting to discuss whether a religous belief amounts to a genuine psychiatric 'delusion', it is effectively pointless without also considering the policy consequences of an affirmative answer. Even if you are right, what becomes of that position? Do you genuinely believe that those with delusional religous beliefs should have their medical, financial and social decision making interfered with by the courts or the state? (because that - or something like it - is the natural consequence of your holding such a position).

If you fail to address the second question, you are really just the kid who runs up to a religious person, points, laughs and calls them 'crazy' or 'delusional', and runs off again giggling. It may be good for kicks, but it doesnt achieve anything!

• Advertisement

i'm not even sure that would be possible after a judge has basically sanctioned what they are doing. :(

i havent seen you join it (which seems unusual for someone who claims he wants to explore the matter). As i said earlier, if you do have something to add on that point, i'm all ears, but otherwise im just wasting my time on you.

And as I said before no one is forcing you to spend any of your time on anything. You can worry about who you reply to in your own way, and how you invest that time. Choosing to invest it and moaning about it has nothing to do with me.

But you mention "outcome" and to me the outcome appears the same. Two people under two delusions, each of them with exactly the same amount of substantiation (that is to say: None) refuse treatment, and die. So I am merely exploring what the distinctions are between how we treat those two people and why we do so.

Yet our reaction to both of them as a species seems, on the whole, to be different and I am not seeing any meat being added to that distinction except people worry about what the implications and effects might be if we open that pandoras box and explore ways to rectify it.
    Of course, while it is interesting to discuss whether a religous belief amounts to a genuine psychiatric 'delusion', it is effectively pointless without also considering the policy consequences of an affirmative answer.

I prefer to deal with what is right, or what is true, first. And deal with the implications of that later. What is true or real remains true or real regardless of what the implications of it might be. Which is why I have not been dragged down that tangent of discussing the implications where you want to bring me, but am sticking to the point I originally made about it, in and of itself, where I started. If I wish to discuss the distinction and you wish to discuss the implications of making the distinction or implementing it, then we are talking past each other and your fear of wasting your time is well founded.

The fact is that the two examples I gave are equally unsubstantiated. Therefore they are both equally delusional to my mind. At least no one has offered me a useful distinction or methodology of distinction that I can employ except that one is "religion" and the other is not........ and the former deserves some special treatment unknown and contextually labile.
    Do you genuinely believe that those with delusional religous beliefs should have their medical, financial and social decision making interfered with by the courts or the state? (because that - or something like it - is the natural consequence of your holding such a position).

I never expressed or implied such a belief per se. What I AM saying is that where there IS a policy of over ruling a patients medical choice to refuse treatment because we deem them to be deluded in their reasoning for making that choice.......... and GIVEN religious belief in a god is no less delusional or offers no level of substantiation any different to any other delusion.......... then other than "the courts" being scared of the can of worms it will open........... where is the distinction? What is the _actual_ difference between the two deluded people...... that we as a species are pandering to........ not the implied distinction in law or the effect of employing law...... but the actual difference to which we are responding in the first place.

If the only distinction that can really be argued coherently is that including religion delusion in with the other delusions will cause turmoil then so be it, I accept that this is the argument, but it does not sit well with me as anything more than a cop out with an all too human moan of "I know we should do the right thing but its so haaaaaaaaaard".
    If you fail to address the second question, you are really just the kid who runs up to a religious person, points, laughs and calls them 'crazy' or 'delusional', and runs off again giggling. It may be good for kicks, but it doesnt achieve anything!

Not an accurate analogy of anything I am saying or doing on this thread at all, no.

You still havent actually addressed the distinction that the medical and legal professions have made between religous beliefs and other delusions!

Im not sure if you are doing that deliberately or not but i'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Just to expand things out a bit:
    Say the patient refused 'conventional' medical treatment and instead preferred to put their eggs in the quack medicine basket - say homeopathy for example. I doubt very much that the courts would be comfortable over ruling them and taking their medical decisions out of their hands on the basis that they are delusional. So perhaps it's not crazy versus religious, but crazy versus 'other recognised beliefs', be it religion or quack medicine.
    People are entitled to believe whatever they like, and make life decisions accordingly. It doesn't follow that they are crazy and unfit to make autonomous decisions. The only instance I'd really be in favour of overruling would be in the case of a dependant where decisions not based on evidence were being advocated.

Just to expand things out a bit:
    Say the patient refused 'conventional' medical treatment and instead preferred to put their eggs in the quack medicine basket - say homeopathy for example. I doubt very much that the courts would be comfortable over ruling them and taking their medical decisions out of their hands on the basis that they are delusional. So perhaps it's not crazy versus religious, but crazy versus 'other recognised beliefs', be it religion or quack medicine.
    People are entitled to believe whatever they like, and make life decisions accordingly. It doesn't follow that they are crazy and unfit to make autonomous decisions. The only instance I'd really be in favour of overruling would be in the case of a dependant where decisions not based on evidence were being advocated.
    Precisely.

And the critical difference is that the homeopathy enthusiast has capable and working cognitive functions. They may make bad decisions, but they work. The court/state/you or I have no right to overrule such decisions.

On the other hand, The person with, for instance an intellectual disability or a psychiatric illness causing a 'true' delusion does not have capable and working cognitive functions. And the court must protect them.

Nozzle misses the point by referring to the 'outcome' (look, they both made 'crazy' decisions!) rather than focussing on the important bit. If we focused on the outcome, many more than the religious would be deemed incapable of making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sheesh wrote: »
    In general though, do you think people have similar - I am not saying exactly the same - values to the people that they grew up with.

They would start off with broadly the same influences, but where they go from there is up to them individually.
    Just because you rejected you parents views on homosexuality does not mean you rejected their views on stealing, killing, obeying rules, charity etc. you didn't reject every value they taught you, you still shower, are polite to people. You did not come up with every single set of values you have right now by yourself and 'by magic' fit into Irish society.

No but (a) I never said that I did and (b) it's irrelevant anyway. There is nothing whatsoever hypocritical or contradictory about finding oneself in agreement with some values of one's family/religion/society while rejecting others. In as much as their actions are not to the detriment of others, nobody has to justify their values or beliefs to anyone else except themselves.

Life ain't always empty.

You still havent actually addressed the distinction that the medical and legal professions have made between religous beliefs and other delusions!

The only distinction I am being offered is the implications of MAKING That distinction. I am not being offered a basis for actually making such a distinction in the real world. If two people come before me, each espousing unsubstantiated nonsense that is leading them to choose to refuse life saving medical treatment..... exactly what distinction is available _to me_.
    Im not sure if you are doing that deliberately or not but i'm not going to waste my time trying to figure it out!

You seem to keep obsessing textually over how you invest your time, while investing it anyway. I long ago with tongue firmly in cheek coined a phrase I call "Nozzferrahhtoo's first law of internet forum posting" which states that the probability of any user posting on a thread seems to increase in proportion to the number of times they have indicated they will not do so, or do not want to do so. :)

And you still ignore/cant see the critical difference, the difference that the medical & legal communities recognise. I have posted it a number of times now. If you are unable to counter it, thats fine, but at least have the intellectual honesty to say that.

And you still ignore/cant see the critical difference, the difference that the medical & legal communities recognise. I have posted it a number of times now. If you are unable to counter it, thats fine, but at least have the intellectual honesty to say that.

Nozzferrahhtoo's rule strikes again it seems. Anyway as I said the only meat and substance I have seen on this thread about a distinction is some (likely well founded) concerns about what it would mean to attempt to implement that distinction (or not) in law.

Which, while I am sure is an interesting topic, is not really what I am asking about at all. Snide and unwarranted comments about intellectual honesty in place of discourse certainly does not do it.

^^^^Pretty dishonest, but to be expected.
    - first and foremost, the courts believe that a necessary condition for depriving a person of their decision making power is some form of 'mental impairment and malfunctioning'. They do not accept that religious belief - however 'bonkers' we might find it - amounts to a form of mental impairment. Legal incapacity can arise where the functioning of the mind is impaired, but not where the mind is capable of functioning, but does so in an unwise or even irrational fashion; it has long been accepted in law that otherwise competent adults are entitled to refuse life saving treatment for any reason, including an irrational reason. [i think that even most atheists would accept that the 'religous', even those at the fringes, fall within the latter category (ie. they have functioning minds!)],
    The crux of the matter (and the bit you havent addressed) is whether the person is capable of making a decision. If not, the courts offer protection. If they are capable of making a decision, but make a crazy one, the court doesnt offer protection. It is about process, not outcome. That distinction is a sensible place to draw the line, and these matters have been considered over decades by courts, doctors and ethicists all over the world, and all have come to a broadly similar view.
    The difference is that typical medical issues that cause legal incapacity stem from a dysfunction/malfunctioning of the mind (the mind is not capable of working properly). With religously (or belief system) motivated decisions, the mind is fully capable of working properly, even though it comes to what most people consider to be an irrational decision (ie. i wont accpet a blood transfusion because god told me not to/god told me i would get better without one).

The courts feel that it is not their job to qualitatively assess the decision making of others. If people - who are fully capable of making a decision -choose to disregard medical evidence in favour of a decision based on a 'hunch' or unsubstantiated superstition, it is not for the courts to protect them against their own foolishness. The courts - instead - choose to protect those whose minds are not capable of working, as the latter are in need of protection. They fear - rightly - that if they get drawn into qualitatively assessing the decision making of those who make 'crazy' decisions based on religous reasons, they will logically have to do likewise for those who make 'crazy' decisions for other reasons.

And the critical difference is that the homeopathy enthusiast has capable and working cognitive functions. They may make bad decisions, but they work. The court/state/you or I have no right to overrule such decisions.

On the other hand, The person with, for instance an intellectual disability or a psychiatric illness causing a 'true' delusion does not have capable and working cognitive functions. And the court must protect them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

But in Canada, a court rejected doctors' wishes to treat a child for lukaemia because the kid concerned is "aboriginal" and her parents have a constitutional right to have the child treated by "traditional medicine" and this right has been judged more important than the conflicting right of the child to remain alive:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/treating-a-childs-cancer-is-not-an-abuse/article21614519/

robindch wrote: »
    But in Canada, a court rejected doctors' wishes to treat a child for lukaemia because the kid concerned is "aboriginal" and her parents have a constitutional right to have the child treated by "traditional medicine" and this right has been judged more important than the conflicting right of the child to remain alive:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/treating-a-childs-cancer-is-not-an-abuse/article21614519/
    Wow.

That is a very strange decision, especially for Canada. Thankfully, the irish courts have been quite firm when it comes to kid's cases; any parental decisions (whether they be religously or othewrwise motivated) adversely affecting the life and health of their children will be set aside. And thankfully, refusals by parents are generally more straightforward than adult refusals. The former, if they adversely affect the life and health of the child will be set aside regardless of the parents legal capacity. The latter all depend on the level of the patient's capacity to make the relevant decision.

That Canadian decision is one to watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Wow.

That is a very strange decision, especially for Canada. Thankfully, the irish courts have been quite firm when it comes to kid's cases; any parental decisions (whether they be religously or othewrwise motivated) adversely affecting the life and health of their children will be set aside. And thankfully, refusals by parents are generally more straightforward than adult refusals. The former, if they adversely affect the life and health of the child will be set aside regardless of the parents legal capacity. The latter all depend on the level of the patient's capacity to make the relevant decision.

That Canadian decision is one to watch though.

I think it's important to relate the Judges decision in the Canadian case though to an Irish context. The decision in that case wasn't made on the grounds of religious beliefs, but on ethical grounds. The aborigines (or in this case - First Nation Canadians) would be akin to an ethnic group such as travellers in Ireland. They have their own way of life, customs and culture which the Canadian Government are reluctant to interfere with, in the same way as the Irish Government are reluctant to interfere with the way of life, customs and culture of travellers in Ireland.

^^^^ Still throwing out the insults when things do not go your way. But let us see which is really being honest here.

Take the first paragraph you just pasted to start with.

1) The first sentence just talks about the grounds for contravening a patients decision making power. Not what I asked.
    2) The next bit says they do not consider religious belief to be mental impairment. AGAIN not what I asked.
    3) You then finished up with the statement that in law irrational reasons are not used to mediate whether adults can refuse treatment. AGAIN not what I asked.

So basically I am saying your answers are not answering what I actually asked, and you are throwing out insults at my honesty despite the fact your answers are not answering what I actually asked.

So who is the dishonest one really? Shall I purchase you a mirror? I really do not need someone pretending to be a lawyer telling me how the courts view the decision making process about when to impinge on a patients right to choose... because it is simply not what I have been talking about.

You say "The crux of the matter (and the bit you havent addressed) is whether the person is capable of making a decision" and that might be the crux of the matter for you, but it is NOT the crux of anything I have been talking about.

I think it's important to relate the Judges decision in the Canadian case though to an Irish context. The decision in that case wasn't made on the grounds of religious beliefs, but on ethical grounds. The aborigines (or in this case - First Nation Canadians) would be akin to an ethnic group such as travellers in Ireland. They have their own way of life, customs and culture which the Canadian Government are reluctant to interfere with, in the same way as the Irish Government are reluctant to interfere with the way of life, customs and culture of travellers in Ireland.
    Fair point, but i could not imagine the irish courts making a similar decision.

There is an accepted 'zone of parental responsibility' where parents are allowed to make decisions that wider society believe are detrimental to the welfare of their children. But that zone is very tightly drawn. The famous legal case is the 'PKU case' where the court held that the parents could refuse the performance of the PKU test (which is a simple test on a newborn that seeks to determine whether the baby has a metabolic disorder). The court were swayed by the fact that the level of risk to the baby was minimal (although clearly not non-existent; if the baby had PKU, the opportunity to treat would have been lost).

But if the level of risk was similar to the kid in the canadian case, the irish courts (god bless their souls...) would have decided differently (unless there is some real scientfic merit to the parents' chosen treatment, which certainly doesnt seem to be the case).

.......telling me how the courts view the decision making process about when to impinge on a patients right to choose... because it is simply not what I have been talking about. .

And yet more dishonesty....
    Given the patient refusing treatment solely on religious grounds is under the delusion of unsubstantiated nonsense, is not then a case to be made, or at least to be argued by better minds that yours or mine, that they are similarly incapable of making "the correct" decision given they are under the delusion of unsubstantiated nonsense?.

.... oh i wonder where such a case might be made....? But no, you havent been talking about the courts. They are totally irrelevant to what you have been talking about!!!

And yet more dishonesty....

Nice of you to preface your post with such an accurate description of the content to follow.

But again my position is clear. I am discussing what basis we as a species have for reacting differently to two equally unsubstantiated delusions. Quoting my own posts back at me does not change that this is what my position has been all along.

And once again: Telling me that, for example, the courts only step in for mental impairment is not even remotely close to answering that question. So you are simply talking past me, and have the gall to call me dishonest when I point this true and accurate fact out.

I do _not care_ when and why the courts step in. My point/question once again is simply to ask that when two people present with unsubstantiated delusions.... why is it we react differently to one, and not the other..... simply because we call one "religion" and the other not.

And once again: Telling me that, for example, the courts do not consider such delusions to be a "mental impairment" is.... you guessed it.... once again not even remotely close to answering that question. I do not care who classifies them as "mental impairment" or not. I am merely asking why we treat them differently _to each other_ regardless of whether they are considered "mental impairment" or not.

It is like I am asking for the difference between oranges and apples and you are insisting on ignoring the question and telling me that scientists consider them both to be fruit.

^^^

It is quite sad. You ask a question:
    Given the patient refusing treatment solely on religious grounds is under the
    delusion of unsubstantiated nonsense, is not then a case to be made, or at least
    to be argued by better minds that yours or mine, that they are similarly
    incapable of making "the correct" decision given they are under the delusion of
    unsubstantiated nonsense?.

I answer it and provide the distinction the courts, and medical professions have made. You flatly refuse to address, counter or give your view on that distinction.

And then you whinge and whinge and multiquote and post for page on page pretending that you never asked the question in the first place!!!

It is quite sad.

Again lovely that you preface your posts so accurately with a summary of them.

I will make it even simpler for you.

When I ask "What is the difference between X and Y" an answer to this question is not "The courts do not use X or Y to do Z".

That is what I am doing in the text you pasted twice now, but somehow you do not see it. You are answering something I am simply not asking and rather than listen to me tell you what my own question is, you insist on pretend it is other than it is.

Who knows what I mean by my own words best? Me or you? Clearly you think you, but it is not so. You are simply misreading what it is I am asking, and then acting like this failure is my fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

No need for that kind of language

Advertisement