Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi issue since Eircom installed f1000

Options
  • 15-11-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

We had no problem with our Linksys WRT54G and not long before the WiFi from our Netopia 2247. Yesterday evening webpages started alternating from loading slow and intermittently to not loading at all. I have pinged the routers IP and there is 70% packet loss, Sun-Times sometimes no packet loss and sometimes 100% packet loss. I disconnected the cordless phone from the mains power and found a phone emitting a portable hotspot WiFi signal which I turned off. We also have a wireless doorbell which is now powered down. I have scanned using an app and there are no other WiFi signals. I have changed the router chamber channel as a precaution but this made no difference. Router is not near a fridge. Router has been reset.

The damnedest thing is that the packet loss is observed on two laptops, one around two years old, the other a week old, but at the same time there is zero packet loss from my tablet!

Could it have anything to do with the wireless standard the router is using? Seems unchangeable.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

The packet loss started occurring on our tablets also. Switching the wireless standard from mixed b/g/n to just g in Network Settings >> Wireless >> Others resolved this, across all devices. The specifications for my laptop show it does have 'Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n' as has our Google Nexus 7 (2013 edition) tablets.

If anyone has any experience with this please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Only packet loss when 802.11 b/g/n mixed is selected. No packet loss when individual bands are selected, including n. I think it may be a faulty modem or that there is a general fault with all of them.

Can anyone else test?

Advertisement