Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Does anyone know if there's a bus run from Maynooth to Cork (Friday/Sunday service) so as you don't have to go to Dublin to get the train/bus?
    :pac:

As far as I know you have to head into Dublin. You can get a student train return inc Luas from Maynooth for about €38 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Cool_CM wrote: »
    As far as I know you have to head into Dublin. You can get a student train return inc Luas from Maynooth for about €38 though.

What? I haven't been away from Maynooth THAT long???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Cool_CM wrote: »

You mean to say you don't get the free Luas and exit stage right as needs be? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Thanks for the feedback guys, though I was kinda hoping there might be an option that doesn't involve going into town, as it adds like an extra hour each way.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Know what RTE use one the "Error 404 – Page Not Found" page for their sports news site?

story_22756_RTE_sport_404_page.jpg

Yup, that's Shergar. This is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

banquo wrote: »
    Know what RTE use one the "Error 404 – Page Not Found" page for their sports news site?

story_22756_RTE_sport_404_page.jpg

Guy in the background looks like Lord Lucan, that's two mysteries solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Saw that a few years back, its still not as good as Github's 404 page

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Saw that a few years back, its still not as good as Github's 404 page

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Was Moodle acting up today for anyone around lunchtime? Wouldn't let me log on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It was acting up for me too, and it was slower to load after it was back online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Ha!

As good as this? (Enter in some random passwords in the prompt...you can move the "windows" around too!)

http://nouveller.com/404/

As good as this? (Enter in some random passwords in the prompt...you can move the "windows" around too!)

http://nouveller.com/404/

256 Internet points for their efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

256 Internet points for their efforts.

"You can say thanks and you can say thanks a million, but any number in between.
    'Hey man thanks 256.'
    'What?'
    'Yeah you gave me a ride that’s not worth a million. You know what 255 for questioning me. Keep it up stupid, we’re headed for thanks 0. And that’s no thanks.'" - Demetri Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

thelad95 wrote: »
    Was Moodle acting up today for anyone around lunchtime? Wouldn't let me log on :(
    It was acting up for me too, and it was slower to load after it was back online.

The Computer Centre has a service window for most services around midday on a Monday where they can do unscheduled upgrades/fix things. I got a down for maintenance notice around that time when I tried to log on.

The old CC website actually had this information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

When do the exam timetables generally get put out?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Usually mid-November, so this week or possibly next week :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Pudsy33 wrote: »

The timetable was out on the 15th of November last year, which was the Friday. So the timetable could be out this week and if not it should be out next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Anyone know why lecturers take attendance at their lectures when it doesn't count for any sort of CA or anything? Just a general blank sheet with student's name and student number?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Westeros wrote: »
    Anyone know why lecturers take attendance at their lectures when it doesn't count for any sort of CA or anything? Just a general blank sheet with student's name and student number?

Some want to see who's there and will use it towards final marks. I.e. they'll try bring you up a bit if they see you've been in most classes. I don't know if they're officially allowed to but they will.

Some want to see who's there and will use it towards final marks. I.e. they'll try bring you up a bit if they see you've been in most classes. I don't know if they're officially allowed to but they will.

I've heard this but wasn't sure if it was actually true. Thank you!
    I guess it'll be of some help so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Definitely true for some departments/lecturers. I think it's more a case that they'll correct your exam the way it's supposed to be corrected. But if you've been to most of your lectures and tutorials, i.e. if you've shown you actually give a damn, then if you get a 49/59/69, they may well go over your exam again, try and get you an extra percent or two to bump the grade, which they technically don't have to do. So showing up, whether or not you like the subject, is in your best interests. If you haven't bothered showing up, they're hardly obligated to bother correcting your exam more than once.

At least that's how I assume this is going on. Never heard an official word on it. Though I did once hear that some History modules you'll fail if you skip a certain percentage of classes/tutorials. Not sure if true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

mickstupp wrote: »
    Definitely true for some departments/lecturers. I think it's more a case that they'll correct your exam the way it's supposed to be corrected. But if you've been to most of your lectures and tutorials, i.e. if you've shown you actually give a damn, then if you get a 49/59/69, they may well go over your exam again, try and get you an extra percent or two to bump the grade, which they technically don't have to do. So showing up, whether or not you like the subject, is in your best interests. If you haven't bothered showing up, they're hardly obligated to bother correcting your exam more than once.

At least that's how I assume this is going on. Never heard an official word on it. Though I did once hear that some History modules you'll fail if you skip a certain percentage of classes/tutorials. Not sure if true.

That's sort of what I meant by being marks up.

It's true for all history electives. Happened to a friend of mine. Because he missed over 50% of classes they wouldn't mark his essay and he failed. They let him take a second module in second semester to make up for it though. Unsurprisingly he made every class!

So I had my first MCQ today. Will I ever actually find out the result or is it just included in my final result in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So I had my first MCQ today. Will I ever actually find out the result or is it just included in my final result in January?

That's up to the lecturer. Generally you will get results back soon enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Economics? We got our results last year a week or 2 later I think. We definitely got them anyway.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Economics? We got our results last year a week or 2 later I think. We definitely got them anyway.

Yeah it was easy enough. I think I got them all right except one so it's really bugging me now. That's why I want to find out!! :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yeah it was easy enough. I think I got them all right except one so it's really bugging me now. That's why I want to find out!! :P

Yea youll get the percentages for it on moodle! I wonder was it the same test we got last year lol

Yea youll get the percentages for it on moodle! I wonder was it the same test we got last year lol

Probably :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I hate the inbetween weather. Too hot for a proper jumper. Too cold for just a shirt. I'm either freezing or sweating buckets.

• Advertisement

Probably :P

What Economics module was it for? EC101A or EC102? :p
    Anyways, yeah you'll get your percentage and the answers on Moodle soon enough. They'll upload a file with all your CA percentages later on too, with the marks for tutorials, assignments etc. so you know exactly what percentage you have under your belt before you sit the exam :)

Advertisement