Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Need to host a 1 page site quickly

Options
  • 30-10-2014 2:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing this thing in work promoting a series of webcasts - its getting a lot of traction and going well but there is a problem. The way my company's system works is that the landing page we designed for the events is hidden behind a kind of firewall - where you have to put in your email to get to the actual landing page. This is done for tracking - very annoying - I cannot change it. I understand why, but the firewall page actually looks like an error page and would turn a lot of people off - thinking the url was wrong or site was down or something. It has happened many times already. Also when i share it on social media it does not pull in the images or any info from the landing page, just the ugly firewall page.

So, I think the obvious way around it is to copy and host the landing page somewhere else. The landing page is only a front that points to other sites for registration for the events. But I need somewhere to host it. I do have my own personal website on shared hosting but I dont want to put it on my domain. Is there anywhere else I can host this, or can I mask my domain behind an ip address or something? I'll be using a bitly url anyway.

Can anyone help or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

<mod hat on>

Discussion of hosting companies is forbidden, as per forum charter

</mod hat off>

With that said, you could use gh-pages if it's just a temp solution one-pager.

Or stick it on a sub-domain - their sub-domain url, with your hosting providing the page (so nobody has to see it's you).

Or just pick up another hosting package from the various providers and host it there?

Or again, you could host it on drobox for a quick solution

Depends on the situation and what kind of traffic it'll see, but you've tonnes of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I may be able to help. Send me a PM. I even have a few spare domains hanging around that you could use temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If it's for a business they should just get some hosting for it and be done with it ..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's a very large multinational organisation with so much red tape you would not believe. I would love if it was that simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Zascar wrote: »
    It's a very large multinational organisation with so much red tape you would not believe. I would love if it was that simple!

If that's the case then shoving the page somewhere random will cause you headaches also - we see people doing this all the time and then we get rather amusing security audits - amusing from our perspective, but not so much from the big company's ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement