Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

The 'let him go hungry bit' there - Jaysus, he's only a child. Ostracising him for the sake of a few extra quid is a bit harsh imo. Granted it's pretty full whack to buy food in the cinema but she could have purchased him something, the cheapest thing on the menu even. Despite the glaring oddity from the little fella he still shouldn't have been excluded.

I don't think it's harsh at all, he was offered food but he turned his snotty little nose up at it. He wasn't excluded, he chose not to take what he was offered. I think the OP's wife did right. I wouldn't treat him to overpriced cinema popcorn just because he wont eat peasant popcorn from centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i like to sit on both sides of the fence on this one, our local cinema is in the same center as a tesco, so i will buy the drinks, jellies and chocolates in Tesco and then go to the cinema and buy the popcorn....

i just LOVE cinema popcorn and would eat a large bag by myself,

in saying that though i get my cinema tickets for free so i can't complain about the price of the trip overall

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Cinemas make almost no profit on ticket sales. Shame on all of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Got stopped when I wheeled in the buffet, had the whole family as well. :/

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't think it's harsh at all, he was offered food but he turned his snotty little nose up at it. He wasn't excluded, he chose not to take what he was offered. I think the OP's wife did right. I wouldn't treat him to overpriced cinema popcorn just because he wont eat peasant popcorn from centra.

He was only doing what he was taught by his parents. If your parents teach you something is very wrong and you try to be good and not do that thing, how is he a brat?

Its the parents who are morons here. And they should have given the kid pocket money going to the cinema to get treats. So not only are they morons, but they are stingy too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

no bother sneaking in anything apart from the popcorn, yes its maaaaaaaasivly over priced but its tasty,

ps i used to work in a cinema and while the staff never had a problem the management did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For the sake of once a week or two, I just buy the large popcorn, large drink and ticket. It's not bad value. Provided the movie's a good one, that's two hours of solid entertainment with some good snacks for €18 a person or so. Hardly criminal, all in.

My local cinema always does a deal on Wednesday, ticket, popcorn and drink for a tenner - better again.

Have to laugh at the people who blank point refuse to buy it on principle - do you smuggle cans into your local pub/club as well? The amount of people I see complaining about popcorn prices and refusing to buy it, who think nothing of spending €5 per pint on a night out, all night - far more regularly than they'd go to the cinema!

I must be one of the few who think for what they offer, most cinema's aren't as massively overpriced as they're made out to be.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

FutureGuy wrote: »

:rolleyes: My sympathy meter is still reading zero despite this information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Packrat

FutureGuy wrote: »

So fcuking reorganise your business model. Charging 4-5 euro for a bottle of water which I can buy in the shop for 1.20 is bullsh1t and I'm never going to pay you that for it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I used to work in a cinema and we never had an issue with people bringing in their own food. I do it all the time myself.

I draw the line at takeaway and alcohol though.

OP's wife was right not to give in to him and buy him food in the cinema. Then all the other kids would have wanted it from there too and it would have cost a fortune. It's expensive enough just to buy the tickets without having to fork out for the overpriced food too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Cinema popcorn is just way better than store-bought stuff, who knew that apparently it's positively decadent to eat cinema popcorn now.

Saying that though, the soft drinks prices in cinemas are ridiculous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I usually buy a coke and a popcorn. The drink will be chilled and the popcorn is nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Don't really go that often so when I do, I just buy something in there if I'm hungry rather than trying to save a few quid by smuggling in bags of cheap sweets stuffed down my jocks.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

The 'let him go hungry bit' there - Jaysus, he's only a child. Ostracising him for the sake of a few extra quid is a bit harsh imo. Granted it's pretty full whack to buy food in the cinema but she could have purchased him something, the cheapest thing on the menu even. Despite the glaring oddity from the little fella he still shouldn't have been excluded.

Should have seen the look on his face when we told him he was being sold to the traveller family & that's why he was in our car, oh the fun we had at his expense.
    Kids can cry for an amazingly long time before they pass out due to lack of fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

But what about the signs that say

Surely nobody would disobey such a clear instruction

I suppose you think people shouldn't photocopy cinemas either?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I treat the nephews and nieces to the cinema once a year, I'd do it more often but it costs a bomb. wtf cant they share a large popcorn and drink. When I was their age, it was a bottle of orange and 5 straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Have to laugh at the people who blank point refuse to buy it on principle .

I can just picture them on a date persuading their date to smuggle a pack of fun-size twix bars down their jocks to save a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

My uncle makes a point of overtly and proudly displaying the contraband he's bringing with him as he passes the ticket checker. The signs are merely perfunctory. The teenager checking the ticket ain't stopping nobody.

Anyway, I don't go to the cinema anymore. Too many gobshites there nowadays annoying me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I'm not sure if you're actually serious. How many films are you going to see?

Just going to see one and I'm totally serious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I haven't been to a cinema in years, but I'd have no problem bringing in 'contraband.'

Unless I was with my kids though, I wouldn't be bringing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Have to laugh at the people who blank point refuse to buy it on principle - do you smuggle cans into your local pub/club as well?

No. I go to the pub to drink. Bringing my own drink would undermine the entire point of going there. However, i don't go to the cinema to drink or eat. I go there to see a movie. My drinking and eating are ancillary to that and I've no interest being held to ransom over it.

Neyite wrote: »
    He was only doing what he was taught by his parents. If your parents teach you something is very wrong and you try to be good and not do that thing, how is he a brat?

Its the parents who are morons here. And they should have given the kid pocket money going to the cinema to get treats. So not only are they morons, but they are stingy too.

You have a very fair point there, the kid was just doing as his parents thought him & the parents are morons. I didn't look at it from that angle.

I still think the OP's wife did the right thing, TBH what annoys me about this is the cheek of the situation, when I was a kid if any adult brought me out for a day, they were in charge and I did as I was told. I said please & thank you and treated them with respect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You have a very fair point there, the kid was just doing as his parents thought him & the parents are morons. I didn't look at it from that angle.

I still think the OP's wife did the right thing, TBH what annoys me about this is the cheek of the situation, when I was a kid if any adult brought me out for a day, they were in charge and I did as I was told. I said please & thank you and treated them with respect.

What cheek?
    Would you like popcorn from the shop? No thank you

?!?

If the adults told you to *actually* go in and steal stuff I doubt you'd have been so compliant - because your parents taught you it was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'm 36, not exactly skint... But I f-ing hate paying stupid prices for cinema grub (or anything for that matter) that can be got elsewhere for a fraction of the price.

We rarely go to the flicks nowadays, unless it's a 'big screen' type of movie. But when we do, we go on the discounted day, and stop in tesco for munchies. Usually it's a pick of what's new on the XBMC box.

This past week I've bought parts for the car on eBay for 20-30% of what the dealer would charge.

Bought a scanner that will read all fault codes for less that the cost of ONE scan at the dealership.

Taken the links off the OH's new Michel Koors watch (bought online for half what it is here).

Fixed the das car radio (thanks google for the info).

Took delivery of 2 months of dog food from Germany. Again, half what it is here!!!

My point?

People know the 'value' of stuff these days - and are very reluctant to hand over hard earned cash for products and services that are on par with, but far more cost effective... elsewhere.

Or maybe I'm just a tight Cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Don't some cinema's check bags for such stuff?

They still doing cavity searches?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Tasden wrote: »
    Best part of going to the cinema is the warm popcorn drenched in butter.

Used to work in one. The 'butter' is Stork. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

We usually hit Tesco for the PixNMix and popcorn and never pay the high prices in the Cinema - food in the Cinema is part of the treat of going there for the kids.

However, now that I think of it; how is this different from bring a bottle of vodka to a pub or even food into a pub. You'd be fecked out pretty quickly.
    Still, I won't be paying Cinema prices anytime soon.

bluewolf wrote: »
    What cheek?
    Would you like popcorn from the shop? No thank you

?!?

If the adults told you to *actually* go in and steal stuff I doubt you'd have been so compliant - because your parents taught you it was wrong

Did the child not expect expensive cinema popcorn bought for him?
    I may be picking it up wrong? but if he did I would find this quite cheeky.

If it was, as you say - Would you like popcorn from the shop? No thank you. That's absolutely fine.

I understand why the child refused but to refuse and expect something else that is more expensive, in my book is cheeky (even if intentional)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I dont know if it was said in a bratty way though. A kid that young would likely blurt it out innocently. In his mind, this is a Bad Thing We Are Not Allowed To Do, so it was probably shocked innocence. Much like when I was young, swearing was forbidden in our house - even saying words like 'feck' because they were so like the word they were subsituting. So when I would hear a friend say 'feck off' to their sibling and not get into trouble, I was a bit shocked. I probably would have said that 'feck' was swearing, because that's what I was taught. I didnt know any better, and I was never a smartarsed child, always polite and mannerly to adults.

Another point to consider is that its very bad form to change a parenting preference without consulting the parent first - that could be on a range of things, for instance, if you had a toddler and have a no-sweets rule, you'd be pretty pissed off if Granny stuffed them stupid with cakes, fizzy drinks, and chocolate bars behind your back. Or if you are rearing them as vegetarian and someone insists on feeding the child a burger. Or bringing the child of an atheist to church. Parents all have different house rules and values and as bonkers as they may be to another, you try to abide by them, even if you cringe inside.

This would have been a non issue if the parents gave the child a fiver to get popcorn and a drink instead of expecting the hosts who were probably paying for the cinema ticket and transport there. In fact, if it were my child, I'd be giving him enough cash to treat the other children to a bar or ice cream too as a way of thanking the parent for bringing them to the cinema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Little dude was just doing what his parents told him. That said, his parents should have given him the few bob so he could at least offer to pay for the ticket and get some cinema munch in.

Advertisement