Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking contraband into the cinema, what's the forum's position

Options
  • 30-10-2014 12:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Wife brought ours & 2 neighbours kids to the cinema yesterday as a mid term treat.
    Anyway, they stopped off at a local Centra to pick up the contraband before going in.
    One of the kids refused as his parents had taught him it was stealing.
    Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

What's the forum's opinion on smuggling food into the cinema ?, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a consensus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Reverse Cowgirl

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I haven't bought food in the cinema in years. Never had an issue bringing it in.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Any sheep person who pays those ridiculous food prices in the cinema are gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Cormac... wrote: »
    Doggystyle

Ninja ninja ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I'm guessing that kids folks probably own a Cinema

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

cant see an issue with it, why would you pay the high prices in cinema when you can get it cheaper in a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

I used to go out with a girl who would go to 4star pizza before the cinema and eat the thing in front of everyone. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I hear TV3 are exposing this part of Irish society's seedy underbelly in their next hard hitting documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

It'll be a cold day in hell before either of my kids gets anything bought in the cinema.
    Humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

jaysus, what a little dork

should have left him in the car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Fine to bring in sweets, crisps, popcorn etc.

I draw the line at fast food and alcohol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I always buy my popcorn, minstrels and bottle of coke in the shop before hand as I really don't feel like playing a couple of grand for the same in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Wait, he actually taught it was stealing? What the hell are his parents teaching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Best part of going to the cinema is the warm popcorn drenched in butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wife brought ours & 2 neighbours kids to the cinema yesterday as a mid term treat.
    Anyway, they stopped off at a local Centra to pick up the contraband before going in.
    Rather than buy him his 1000% markup popcorn combo my missus let him go hungry while the other munched into their Manhattan & Haribo.

What's the forum's opinion on smuggling food into the cinema ?, I'd be interested in hearing if there is a consensus.

Did your wife steal the goodies from centra ?
    If she did , she's a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

I don't scarf sweets at home and I don't do it in the cinema either. I'm there to watch a film, not listen to people rustling packets, masticating and slurping diabetes fuel.

I think if you feel compelled to eat a bag full of crap just because you're at the cinema you need to have a think to yourself as to why. You could have a proper meal afterward for the price nearly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

Why do we need food in the cinema anyway? It's only a couple of hours, you could eat beforehand or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Somebody give that child a medal.

Then take the medal from him, then point and laugh at him for having no medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

This is totally outlandish and off the wall, so forgive me in advance if some of you are taken aback by this.

If I think someone is trying to rip me off, I don't go anywhere near them. I wouldn't give anyone the satisfaction of knowing that I want to use their product/service without paying for it, extortionate price or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I don't scarf sweets at home and I don't do it in the cinema either. I'm there to watch a film, not listen to people rustling packets, masticating and slurping diabetes fuel.

I think if you feel compelled to eat a bag full of crap just because you're at the cinema you need to have a think to yourself as to why. You could have a proper meal afterward for the price nearly.
    Scannal wrote: »
    Why do we need food in the cinema anyway? It's only a couple of hours, you could eat beforehand or after.

Ohhhhhh look , an AH couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Personally, I don't understand the cultural tie between watching a movie and stuffing ones face anyway. Just sit down and watch the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We usually bring a bottle of wine and a couple of wine glasses. It makes the whole experience seem more civilised.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I sneak in some turkey and ham with sage & onion stuffing and a side of mash + vegetables.

And a bib too, I'm not some sort of low-life animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Tasden wrote: »
    Best part of going to the cinema is the warm popcorn drenched in butter.

Good luck getting that anywhere anymore.

Only popcorn ive seen in cinemas is that awful sweatened and salted rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Don't some cinema's check bags for such stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Aren't you lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

I blame the Americans, it's their fault we're all turning into fat people.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

But what about the signs that say

Only food bought on the premises may be consumed on the premises

Surely nobody would disobey such a clear instruction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Good luck getting that anywhere any more.

Only popcorn ive seen in cinemas is that awful sweetened and salted rubbish

Odean still do buttered popcorn, the sweet stuff is rubbish but they seem mad for it whenever I went in the UK. There would be an equal split between it and regular salted stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

PucaMama wrote: »
    Aren't you lovely.

He makes a great point.

Advertisement