Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Fares

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MissKittenfire

petronius wrote: »
    Bus fares (and DART and Irish Rail) should not be increasing, they should be used to encourage people to use public transport not discourage them. CIE should be more efficient and more commercially minded in some cases to make best with what revenue and subsidy they get, and actually get more passengers by being more dependable and client friendly - which they seem to have no plan or inclination to do so since their solution is always ah sure we will put in for a price hike!

This is PISSING me off right now.

I agree with your post entirely.

'''My 10-Journey is valid for months, I can choose to use it or not use it for days or even weeks and it is still valid. A weekly capped 27.50 leap charge is not comparable at all.

Say I use my ticket twice in one day to get from Shankill to Blanchardstown and back; that'll cost me 5.50 in total, it'd be 6.90 using leap.

If I'm only going one way, it'd cost me 2.75, compared to 5.00 with leap.

They are attempting to make it appear that leap is good value by hiking up the cost of other tickets or straight-up discontinuing them. '''

I have a leap card ...I have tried oyster etc. It does not actually make THAT much of a diff ...that's the annoying thing.

Also my area is not actually served well by public transport really only the 16 gets you into town. It has improved recently.

I unusually work from home. But last week I was traveling to do some work in a small publishing house. It makes such a dent in your wallet and for not a great service. The petrol is not much more.I guess if you had a car and had no parking it would make a difference. The thing is they put people off using the bus for on off journeys or a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

wages have fallen at dublin bus???

not according to their annual reports.
    The wage cost per employee has never been higher than it was 2013.

even if the total wage bill has fallen due to staff number reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    wages have fallen at dublin bus???

not according to their annual reports.
    The cost per employee has never been higher than it was 2013.

even if the total wage bill has fallen due to staff number reductions.
    i'm sure it is. the wages have fallen

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

i'm sure it is. the wages have fallen

Only until next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Anyone know why it takes 24/48 hours for your top up to appear on the system?

Most likely IT related. The updates for the top ups are probably done using a batch job at night. I haven't used public transport in Dublin for a long time. Does the Leapcard cover the bus and train now or are they still separate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

Are you saying the published annual reports are wrong?

where is your proof that average wages have fallen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

At some point people will wake up and realize the price is not worth it. I did. I stopped using Dublin Bus and now I smile everytime I hear about a fare increase.

Screw 'em. Stop using them.

Protests and complaints are never going to change things. You need to vote in the only way that matters, your money. If you continue to pay, you are supporting their system. And Dublin Bus does not deserve your financial support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

Bus ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OSI wrote: »
    The bus cannot access your account though. Your card is a local replica of your account.
    Exactly. The card is just an identifier, it doesn't have to access your account.

So you scan your card, the bus makes a note and if it can't immediately charge for the journey it does so later. In fact, this already does happen, doesn't it? You can view your leap card balance online, so presumably at some point they sync the activity on the buses with a central database.

Granted, in some cases it'll mean that people will go negative and be able to travel for a while on a negative card because the bus is unaware that it is negative, but in my mind this preferable to the complicated situation we have at present. Blocking an overdrawn card is a relatively trivial thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

What's with all the fumbling on here?!:)

I never fumble, so dextrous I am, and always have me few shillins' a ready for Mr or Mrs Bus Driver I do! A great lad altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Am I reading it right? Only cash fares go up, leap card remains the same. Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

My Leap fare is going down, bizarrely. Anyone who pays €2.15 one way on Dublin Bus currently will be paying €2.05 soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

cloud493 wrote: »
    Am I reading it right? Only cash fares go up, leap card remains the same. Why is that?

They want people to move to Leap cards.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Only until next summer.
    wrong. they have fallen and will probably continue to do so

Scannal wrote: »
    Bus ****.
    boaring, grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

You're reading it wrong, Leap has (stupidly) gone up too. My fare has gone from €2.50 to €2.60 each way.

They are (rightly) increasing cash fares at a higher rate than Leap because they want more people to use Leap instead of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hard to blame Dublin Bus, if someone was willing to give me more money every time I asked for it even though my work output was sh*t, I'd keep chancing my arm.

This. We already subsidise them through taxes. Not as bad as a car isn't good enough for a public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say the buses I got in Kenya were more reliable. I was waiting on the N11 (the main road going towards the country's capital) for an hour the other day. That's not god enough for a public service. We really have to expect more from our taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

UCDVet wrote: »
    At some point people will wake up and realize the price is not worth it. I did. I stopped using Dublin Bus and now I smile everytime I hear about a fare increase.

Screw 'em. Stop using them.

Protests and complaints are never going to change things. You need to vote in the only way that matters, your money. If you continue to pay, you are supporting their system. And Dublin Bus does not deserve your financial support.

Sure what else can we use? No parking in Dublin city centre and Dublin Bus offer a far better commuter service than Irish Rail which says a lot about Irish Rail. They have us by the balls and they know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    My Leap fare is going down, bizarrely. Anyone who pays €2.15 one way on Dublin Bus currently will be paying €2.05 soon! :)

My fare has gone up to €2.05 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Is the smell of sweaty balls included in the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Bus Eireann average wage: €50,623
    Irish Rail average wage: €53,108
    Dublin Bus average wage: €52,656

Aircoach : €37.713
    Lothian Scotland: €42,765
    First Manchester: €30,470

Interesting. Cost of living comparison now please.

I wouldn't mind paying extra for the bus if it wasn't so rubbish. Where I'm from in england isn't a capital city by a long shot, and the bus service was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would also be very interested to know if they're comparing like-with-like. i.e. does the aircoach figure include all of the top-level staff too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Scotland: way lower than Ireland
    Northern England: way lower than Ireland

Even in urban areas for both of the above.

I wouldn't mind paying extra for the bus if it wasn't so rubbish. Where I'm from in england isn't a capital city by a long shot, and the bus service was much better.
    i bet it was payed for in full/subsidized in full by the local council?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

OSI wrote: »
    So every bus stop now needs dedicated power and internet connection. Should be easy enough to do right :pac:
    There already are a lot of bus stops with power and an internet connection, thanks to the RTPI system.

I think at the very least there should be top-up points at several locations in the city centre and at other busy bus stops.

Having to go to a Luas/Dart station to activate a top-up, so that you can use it on a bus is daft.

i bet it was payed for in full/subsidized in full by the local council?

Far as I'm aware the company is private.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There already are a lot of bus stops with power and an internet connection, thanks to the RTPI system.

I think at the very least there should be top-up points at several locations in the city centre and at other busy bus stops.

Having to go to a Luas/Dart station to activate a top-up, so that you can use it on a bus is daft.

Jervis, Abbey St and Stephens Green aren't city centre any more? :confused:

The issue isn't with "Activating" the topup, it's with receiving it and the machines currently used by Dublin Bus aren't capable of allowing a leap card to so. Word is they are due to start getting new machines next year, so I expect they should be able to with them. However the Auto Topup feature may make the need for it redundant.
    There is no reason why the system cant have a dedicated connection,credit and debit card machines seem to work fine.

There's no reason also why leap card users should have to go near the driver either.With a tag on and off system.

Or maybe some sensible alternative like a top up point at the bus stop. But sure that's investment,what good does investment do...

Tag on/off can't really be used on the bus as that validator generally doesn't know where it is.

• Advertisement

Far as I'm aware the company is private.
    they would be, but that doesn't mean they can't or don't receive a subsidy.

Advertisement