Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I know the 3 champions I named are very high level bjj guys way above Conors standard but all I'm seen is wrestler this and that give him lentz blah blah

As someone has said its MMA not a wrestling competition they can shoot all day but elbows will rain down on them imo,

people making big statement about lentz being a challenge with his wrestling well why not turn it around and say Conor is in a whole other league when it comes to striking for lentz its pure nit picking trying to find a way of him losing and its just not going to happen any day soon wrestling wont stop him becoming champ.

As his coach says its a sad day when he has the perfect fight an answers these questions because there wont be as much interest then.

Your way missing the point!
    all the challengers are people who fight him at his game, It's unknown how he will do against a wrestler who actually tries to wrestle, Hopefully he can stuff everything and use his striking but until it is seen it is all speculation

Before he get's a title shot it would be great to see him beat a really good wrestler who tries to wrestle, would be a serious statement, Beating Siver is just keeping him busy

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Conor giving both guys respect, one less thing the haters can take a dig at now. I do think hes right in saying Aldo or Mendes if they fight wont get away as easy standing there to bang with him. Mendes does have fairly big power but his angles are so predictable, Conor with his unorthodox style will cause problems imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That's the Conor I like. Very confident as ever but not insulting, repetitive or over the top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Aldos leg kicks and wicked knees could cause serious problems for connor imo

Bit worried about aldo making connor look silly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

anywhere i can catch the fight from last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

That's the Conor I like. Very confident as ever but not insulting, repetitive or over the top.

Exactly. I could listen to him speaking like that all day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mellor wrote: »
    Well that's what they say, the best attribute for a fighter is hair on top

Can hear Goldie on the new clip about the points system..

"Judges will be awarding points based on effective striking, effective grappling, aggression, hair thickness and octagon control"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Axwell wrote: »
    Can hear Goldie on the new clip about the points system..

"Judges will be awarding points based on effective striking, effective grappling, aggression, hair thickness and octagon control"

Maldonado works furiously in camp with his comb over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Of the several key findings from last nights brilliant fight, you picked out that as the most telling thing? :D

What AA when he cut his hair? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

mate asking me to go to Boston, very tempting however mid Jan is terrible timing for spends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Fair play to him, Conor played that well. Gotta love the royal wave at the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

kcbQ2sS.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm new to UFC but really enjoying this year! I think getting a few scalps under the belt should be Conors priority now, i was looking at mendez/aldo there and it's not the type of fight you'd rush into. The hype has been working for Conor so far, but aldo looks like he'd enjoy it! Will Siver be a decent test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm new to UFC but really enjoying this year! I think getting a few scalps under the belt should be Conors priority now, i was looking at mendez/aldo there and it's not the type of fight you'd rush into. The hype has been working for Conor so far, but aldo looks like he'd enjoy it! Will Siver be a decent test?

Siver ia a step down in competition (they are saving him from wrestlers and keeping him busy until his title shot).

Siver is a decent striker so it might make for an interesting contest but a first or second round finish for Conor is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Siver ia a step down in competition (they are saving him from wrestlers and keeping him busy until his title shot).

Siver is a decent striker so it might make for an interesting contest but a first or second round finish for Conor is to be expected.

Yeah Conor could have sat out, made a scene after the Aldo fight and build hype. maybe interrupt the presser like Tito did to get fight with ken Shamrock

Conor deserves respect taking unnecessary fights, he walks the walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Siver! 35 year old Siver. Wow. That's a terrible match up for Siver.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree that Siver is stylistically a good match for Conor. But I think people are going over the top with regards to how "easy" it'll be for him.
    It's almost undermining the scalp before he's earned it.

Siver is no walk over, he'll be the toughest opponent other than Porrier. At one point, before losing to Cub (and his layoff) Siver was ranked in the top 3 at FW. And before Conor passed him out he was number 8 or so.
    Look at it this way, if Siver stepped in for Cole Miller in July, or he fought Siver directly after Brandao people would talking about the match in a different tone.

Obviously I'm expecting a soon kick KO like everyone else. But I think it's wrong take it as a given. All this talk of whose next us premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anywhere doing a package deal for Boston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

srumball wrote: »

Why bother probably paying more for a package when you could book it all yourself?

• Advertisement

seen somewhere 649 direct flights and accom for 4 nights

no ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

seen that deal also.

you would be talking serious cash for a decent ticket id say.

dave1982 wrote: »
    seen somewhere 649 direct flights and accom for 4 nights

no ticket

Thata not a bad price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Thata not a bad price.

It's based on 4 sharing. But certainly not a bad price.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

akelly02 wrote: »
    seen that deal also.

you would be talking serious cash for a decent ticket id say.

Check the prices for last years boston event for ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

It is scheduled to be broadcast on Fox Sports 1 directly after the NFC Championship Game which is one of the biggest games in NFL. Should generate a lot of exposure for McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

This Siver fight is scheduled for Jan 18th. Aint that a sunday? If its in boston that would be what 3am here for main event??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Siver! 35 year old Siver. Wow.

I had completely fogotten that Siver was one of the fighters on the first UFC Dublin card in 2009. McGregor was probably sitting in the stand watching and thinking "I could beat that German midget". :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement