Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

any ideas what time the fight will be on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

zweton wrote: »

I think Brazil bout 2 hours ahead of us providing they fighting at normal and not to suit American fans starts bout 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

zweton wrote: »

Main card starts at 2am so I'd guess around 4ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

No, I'm pretty sure the main card starts at 3am. So Aldo won't be on until closer to 5am probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Cub is respectful though, he never said anything insulting about Conor. Conor has bashed Aldo a lot in the media so he was always going to get a hostile reception in Brazil, same as Chael. The guy commenting about his mother was crossing the line though.

Defo agree with this. If Cub had decided to strut across the stage in Dublin saying how he was going to destroy Conor because like all Irish fighters his style and technique is outdated, there would have been a very different response. As it was, Cub was humble and respectful throughout his trip here and there was nothing for people to react against. I'm saying nothing against Conor, he is a legend and I thought he did brilliant in a difficult Q&A given the distractions going on around him. I think he got the exact reaction he was looking for. But people complaining here about the reaction of the Brazilian fans is a bit much. McGregor fans trolling Brimage on social media in the run up to that fight was considered a bit of craic. Would it be the same if it was the other way around against an Irish fighter. I'm not so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

No, I'm pretty sure the main card starts at 3am. So Aldo won't be on until closer to 5am probably.

Clocks go back at 2 tonight :D

dave1982 wrote: »
    Clocks go back at 2 tonight :D

Woohoo! About a 4am start then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

Woohoo! About a 4am start then?

oh man i didn't even think of this, sucks

the conor Q&A has brightened up my saturday no end, my brazilian gf wasn't so pleased though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TimRiggins wrote: »
    If Aldo hits the same hard shots why does he only have one legit knockout in the UFC? He was knocking out guys for fun in the WEC. Similar to GSP who won his last what, 7 fights? through decision.

If Aldo hits as hard as Conor, why has Conor 3 knockouts in 4 fights (Granted against far weaker opponents, but Poirer is probably better then Lamas)
    You've answered your own question. Aldo has fought far tougher guys. Porrier is not better than Lamas.

Suggesting Conor would rock up and KO Aldo no bother is really belittling the achievement it would be if he ever wins the belt.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    I think you're completely missing the point.

Conor has the right to try win a fight in the UFC whatever way he wants.

Whether he wins by not submitting or defending himself on the ground or knocking someone out and keeping the fight on his feet that's his choice.

Its up to the other fighter to try beat him in wrestling if that's his strong point.

It's called mixed martial arts and you win in whatever way you can.

Dear lord.
    How can you still not grasp this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Mellor wrote: »
    Dear lord.
    How can you still not grasp this.

No need to pray.

You said Connors defensive wrestling hasn't been tested so questions are been asked of him.

I say does it really matter once he is winning.

Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That Q&A was such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

So who's travelling to Boston!!
    TD Gardens is ten mins by taxi from Logan airport! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What channel is the Aldo Mendes fight on in Ireland. Is it BT Sports or Setanta Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

BT

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

I only watched a few minutes of it but I think it is ridiculous that the UFC would let something like that go on, it came across as really very unprofessional on the part of the UFC. I thought that Conor took it very well, I honestly don't think that there are many people that would take that level of initimidation at all, there was something about it that went over the line for me. There is a time and a place for winding up rivals and I don't think a Q & A is the place for it. Around the 11 min mark shut them up fairly quick didn't it? Honestly though I found the Q&A really weird to look at, can you imagine any other professional athlete standing up and being basically abused for 18 minutes? I have lost a bit of respect for the Brazilian fans as well through watching that. I really think the UFC should look at that Q&A and be wondering how they are looking after their fighters.

But this event will make the title victory all the sweeter for him when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

crybaby wrote: »
    I only watched a few minutes of it but I think it is ridiculous that the UFC would let something like that go on, it came across as really very unprofessional on the part of the UFC. I thought that Conor took it very well, I honestly don't think that there are many people that would take that level of initimidation at all, there was something about it that went over the line for me. There is a time and a place for winding up rivals and I don't think a Q & A is the place for it.

But this event will make the title victory all the sweeter for him when it happens.

Is their a video of it anwyhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

califano wrote: »
    Is their a video of it anwyhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

How difficult would it be to get tickets for Boston in January? Very tempted if I thought I'd get tickets

How difficult would it be to get tickets for Boston in January? Very tempted if I thought I'd get tickets

I was tempted myself. Return flights to Boston, direct, under €500 is not a bad price. I think I'll just use the accumulative costs to go front row in Croke park.

Tickets will sell quick, but with a near 20,000 capacity it shouldn't sell immediately. If you're buying flights, it could be worth fight club though.

• Advertisement

You said Connors defensive wrestling hasn't been tested so questions are been asked of him.

I say does it really matter once he is winning.

Simple.
    If he was choosing to stand and KO wrestlers, the above would make sense.
    But he hasn't fought a wrestler yet, so it doesn't.

Dominick Cruz says on the @FOXSports1 pre-fight show that he would move to 145 to fight Aldo, Mendes or McGregor. “Money fights,” he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The bromance continues

10731974_1506188232973434_1473598053_n.jpg
    @danawhiteufc

Workin hard today with @thenotoriousmma getting ready for Aldo vs Mendes!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Mellor wrote: »
    If he was choosing to stand and KO wrestlers, the above would make sense.
    But he hasn't fought a wrestler yet, so it doesn't.

Last time I checked brandao is a black belt in bjj??

Yeah not really a "wrestler" I suppose.

Oh and poirier is a brown belt.

Last time I checked brandao is a black belt in bjj??

Yeah not really a "wrestler" I suppose.

Oh and poirier is a brown belt.

And Dennis Siver is a purple belt, :eek:

Seriously, none of those guys are wrestlers. You know this. You know exactly the type of opponent we are talking about. I can't believe it's even debstable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Wouldn't really call it debatable..its a one sided 'debate'. The fact is the Siver fight suits Conor, its another pay day thats all. Its an easy fight for him, in so much as you can call any top 10 fight easy but its just there to bring in the numbers for the UFC at the end of the day. The reality is a fight against Bermudez would have been a better match up to convince people Conor is the real deal. He hasn't fought a wrestler yet and this is something he needs to do to silence the critics and show he deserves a title shot. Personally I dont think he does at this point and a fight against Bermudez with a win there would have justified it. But its pretty clear the UFC are using him as a promotional tool and he brings in the numbers and gets under the skin of other fighters so he will get his shot. A fight against a top wrestler would give him more credibility and shut people up all at once, the fight with Siver does nothing but increase his bank balance. Either way its great to see him making a name for himself and getting his money and taking names but its just a shame they didnt give him a fight that made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dominick Cruz says on the @FOXSports1 pre-fight show that he would move to 145 to fight Aldo, Mendes or McGregor. “Money fights,” he said.

would love to see cruz v aldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov

The most telling thing about last night was the fact that Aldo's hair was notably thinning on top, the stresses of a long gruelling career showing.

McGregor will be well able for his straight line muay thai.

The most telling thing about last night was the fact that Aldo's hair was notably thinning on top, the stresses of a long gruelling career showing.
    Well that's what they say, the best attribute for a fighter is hair on top

• Advertisement

Of the several key findings from last nights brilliant fight, you picked out that as the most telling thing? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement