Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaiming Dental Expenses

Options
  • 25-10-2014 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

I got braces in 2013 and was looking to reclaim 20% of the expense.

I didn't work in 2013 and paid no tax, does anyone know if I can still get 20% back or is it only if I paid tax, that I get a tax refund??

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

You can claim back dental expenses up to 4 years after the expense. Get a med 2 off your orthodontist and send in the completed med 1 to the revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You can claim back dental expenses up to 4 years after the expense. . Get a med 2 off your orthodontist and send in the completed med 1 to the revenue.

Unfortunately Fitz it is, the tax is reclaimed against the taxable income in the year you paid/had the treatment (if you had the treatment in one year but paid for it in another, you can claim for either) You do have up to 4 years (I think that changed from 7) to submit the forms. I have had people come back to me asking to change dates on receipts because they were not eligible for tax relief in a particular year, the reason being they did not pay any/enough tax in that particular year to be entitled to a refund.

OP read between the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Not sure if changed, but you have an option to claim for the work by reference to the year the work was done or year paid for (which might be later). And it is a relief against tax paid only.

Also, the person paying for the work can make the claim, so e.g. if a parent paid for it on behalf of a son/daughter they could claim the tax through there return (assuming they have paid tax).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thats true Davo, rules always changing. With braces it must have been over a few year. According to revenue

"How is the tax relief given if I incur a Health Expense in one tax year and pay for it in a later tax year?
    In these circumstances you have two options, you may claim the relief in the year in which you incur the expenditure or you may claim the relief in the year in which you pay for the expenditure."

There must be one year you were paying tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

"Who can I claim tax relief for?

You may claim tax relief in respect of any qualifying health expenses paid by you in respect of any individual."

Did your parent pay for the work? and therefore get the tax refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Sea The Starz

Grrrr, I paid for the work myself. I worked all of 2012, I was in college in 2013 and have been working since last October but I paid for and got the treatment in 2013. I wish the orthodontist had told me you could only claim against taxable income, I would have got parents to pay or delayed the treatment a couple of months.

Even though I paid for it throgh my bank a/c, if I get my parents to reimburse me, so that they ultimately pay for it, can they then claim the tax back. I'd normally let something like this go but it comes to 600 quid and seems a bit unfair that I won't get it back due to timing.

Edit: the treatment wasn't officially completed till 2014. Is it only when expenses was incurred or paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Grrrr, I paid for the work myself. I worked all of 2012, I was in college in 2013 and have been working since last October but I paid for and got the treatment in 2013. I wish the orthodontist had told me you could only claim against taxable income, I would have got parents to pay or delayed the treatment a couple of months.

Even though I paid for it throgh my bank a/c, if I get my parents to reimburse me, so that they ultimately pay for it, can they then claim the tax back. I'd normally let something like this go but it comes to 600 quid and seems a bit unfair that I won't get it back due to timing.

Edit: the treatment wasn't officially completed till 2014. Is it only when expenses was incurred or paid?

You can choose either. So if you didnt pay until 2014 you claim against tax paid in that year.

Advertisement