Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People sticking notices to car windows query

Options
  • 25-10-2014 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

hi

looking for some assistance. I park my car on a public road causing no interference or danger to either pedestrians or other road users and some individual in the estate has taken to sticking A4 sheet of paper to the passenger window giving out about it.

I have taken photo's of the attached sheets and I'am eagerly trying to track down the person and have a discussion with them regarding the definition of what a public road means.

I even left a note on the window with my phone number asking the person to ring me so we could discuss the matter but got no call ( not surprised )

In the meantime, here's my question is the person commiting any offense by sticking these notices to my car and if so what can i do about it legally ?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Had similar trouble myself which resulted in my back wiper being pulled off. Too much hassle to get proof so I park elsewhere now. Another type that grinds my gears are the ones that put the traffic cones outside their houses.. Again I prefer to not run the risk of leaving my car in places where it can and often will get damaged so I park elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Litter act?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

We lived close to the city centre some time ago and had on-street parking which happened to be permit free( which was unusual so close to town) We were in a corner house which had double yellow lines outside so had to park elsewhere on the street. There was one house which was great for sticking paper on your window with lots of exclamation marks 'do not park here again!!!!' Or 'private space!!!!' We had a few verbal altercations with the guy, his wife, his son but sometimes if there was no one else to park we had to leave the car there. I understand someone wanting to park outside their own house and would park further along the street if there was a space available.
    I used to post the bits of paper back through his letterbox.

At the time I vowed that if I ever had a spare few hundred euro I'm was going to buy the cheapest taxed bangernomics car around and park it outside his house for a few months and let the notes accumulate...,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Had this issue once park out side a guy house who verbally threatened to damage the car. I said go ahead I know where you live. Car was never touched but some have the mentality of a dog marking their spot and barking at everyone passing by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

v240gltse wrote: »
    hi

looking for some assistance. I park my car on a public road causing no interference or danger to either pedestrians or other road users and some individual in the estate has taken to sticking A4 sheet of paper to the passenger window giving out about it.

I have taken photo's of the attached sheets and I'am eagerly trying to track down the person and have a discussion with them regarding the definition of what a public road means.

I even left a note on the window with my phone number asking the person to ring me so we could discuss the matter but got no call ( not surprised )

In the meantime, here's my question is the person commiting any offense by sticking these notices to my car and if so what can i do about it legally ?

thanks in advance

Tell us what the note said? What are they upset by exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Thats very annoying, I would sugggest not parking there in future because the nutter who gets that worked up about parking also owns a key which could potentially run along your bodywork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

jay-me wrote: »
    Had similar trouble myself which resulted in my back wiper being pulled off. Too much hassle to get proof so I park elsewhere now. Another type that grinds my gears are the ones that put the traffic cones outside their houses.. Again I prefer to not run the risk of leaving my car in places where it can and often will get damaged so I park elsewhere!

I've a few places that I use regularly because i know they will have cones outside. It gives me great pleasure to **** them onto the path and park there.
    I had one guy saying I'd want to be careful that things happen to cars around here. I said that's fine, things are also likely to happen to this house then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

A lot of residents are getting fed up with strange cars being parked in estates. An estate I visit regularly is a pain to get into with commuters parking their cars, legal I know, at the entrance of the estate.

OP, I am guessing you commute after driving closer to a bus stop / train station. I would also guess you are not alone in parking in the area. While you are probably not the one causing parking issues, someone else is probably parking like an ass which is winding up the residents more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I wonder do those residents never park anywhere outside someone else's home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

OP were you parked illegally? i.e. on the main road but on a double yellow line?

I understand people putting notes on cars when they are parked illegally or are blocking an entrance however no excuse for threatening to damage someone else's car (I know yours wasn't damaged just referring to what others said)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OP, park the car there and stick a note on it that says "Suck it!"
    And in small writing "you're on camera".
    Other than that, once you're legal the other guy can just, you know, suck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

OP, park the car there and stick a note on it that says "Suck it!"
    And in small writing "you're on camera".
    Other than that, once you're legal the other guy can just, you know, suck it.
    Better still write smile and in small print "you're on camera" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Better still write smile and in small print "you're on camera" :)

Great idea. Then follow through with a dashcam and a 64 gb memory card for long duration recording

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

OP - don't know if this helps but here goes : anything done to the property of another which requires to be removed is classified under the law as : 'Malicious damage'......i.e. the property has been altered without authorisation from it's original true form and therefore has been damaged. An example of this would be spraypainting on walls such as 'adorns' so many walls just about everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 forrest gump

Have the same problem where I live and my opinion is a road is used to drive on, and a driveway and car park are used for parking your car there. So use them first where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

All people should park with due care especially if in around a housing estate you do not live in.

Ask yourself these questions....

Are you blocking a persons clear view while they try to exit their driveway?
    Are you parked on a bend?
    Are you blocking a crossing on the pathway?
    Why are you parking here? Dodging payments for parking? Visiting someone in the estate?
    Are been a general pain in the hole for residents?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

I work in Glasnevin. There is a parking shortage and a primary school nearby. A residential street has sought and been refused permit parking several times. Some of them have taken to putting these cones outside. They have even sent in a note to our place of work instructing us not to park on "their" street. It drives me mad! They live in the city, on a bus route. They have free on street parking but they want no one else to park there? The perils of city living people - suck it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Autonomous wrote: »
    All people should park with due care especially if in around a housing estate you do not live in.

Ask yourself these questions....

Are you blocking a persons clear view while they try to exit their driveway?
    Are you parked on a bend?
    Are you blocking a crossing on the pathway?
    Why are you parking here? Dodging payments for parking? Visiting someone in the estate?
    Are been a general pain in the hole for residents?

Eh, seriously, none of your business. Assuming I'm parking safely and legally what business is it of anyone why I'm parking anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

veetwin wrote: »
    Eh, seriously, none of your business. Assuming I'm parking safely and legally what business is it of anyone why I'm parking anywhere?

Totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Couldn't it be that the Litter Act was a small short hand for Litter Pollution Act 1997? I'm not a big poster on boards.ie and I've heard that the moderation is strict, but is usual to be so particular when meaning is obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

veetwin wrote: »

One question to ask.

Am I parked legally on a public road?

engol wrote: »
    I work in Glasnevin. There is a parking shortage and a primary school nearby. A residential street has sought and been refused permit parking several times. Some of them have taken to putting these cones outside. They have even sent in a note to our place of work instructing us not to park on "their" street. It drives me mad! They live in the city, on a bus route. They have free on street parking but they want no one else to park there? The perils of city living people - suck it up!

Glasnevin ?.....isn't that where they allow parking (opposite Bot Gardens) on a busy main road and allow the carspace markings to encroach out onto the single lane along which the citybound traffic must drive ? As a result citybound traffic is forced over the white line & broken white line into the path of cars travelling in the opposite direction. As a result of this way of putting down roadmarkings, it is impossible not to drive over the broken white line effectively endangering yourself and the other drivers travelling in the opposite direction.

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Glasnevin ?.....isn't that where they allow parking (opposite Bot Gardens) on a busy main road and allow the carspace markings to encroach out onto the single lane along which the citybound traffic must drive ? As a result citybound traffic is forced over the white line & broken white line into the path of cars travelling in the opposite direction. As a result of this way of putting down roadmarkings, it is impossible not to drive over the broken white line effectively endangering yourself and the other drivers travelling in the opposite direction.

Yeah, that was me, I did that.

Glasnevin is a big place. And yes, what you describe is fact. It is also not the only place where that occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ignore it OP. Life's too short, if you're not blocking a driveway, they can fcuk off.

endacl wrote: »
    Ignore it OP. Life's too short, if you're not blocking a driveway, they can fcuk off.

Sounds like a nasty solution to a harassed motorist's problem.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Enfield train station by any chance ?
    v240gltse wrote: »
    hi

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

What annoys me, is when a person tries to lay claim to the road outside their house. For years I have witnessed and been the victim of one of my neighbours ghoulish, evil stares when "his" spot is parked in. I have parked there on occasion when there are no other spots around, or I can't get past the wifes car to park aside it in the garden. This guy is just an old grump and never actually says anything, but would stare over at the house for what seems like forever at whoever has parked outside his house.

I parked there last week. Then went away to Spain for a week. I heard that he was out on the road loads of times, looking up and down, as if trying to figure out who parked there :pac:

I only have the car 2 weeks, so he may not have known it was mine. I wasn't gone 5 minutes to the shop when he had reclaimed his spot. Hilarious.

• Advertisement

To those who think they have some kind of right to a certain parking spot on the public thoroughfare near their home this irrefutable comment is addressed : no local authority has any obligation to provide you with free parking regardless of how long you or your ancestors have resided there. That is the rock solid bottom line that no amount of waffle can circumvent. As the property lawyers so often observe : " there is an absence of title". To think otherwise is to delude yourself.

Advertisement