Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible Eircom Customer Service

Options
  • 31-08-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So this is my story so far with eircom customer service.

I moved into a new house 3 weeks ago which did not have a phone line in it. So on Saturday the 9th August I put in a request with eircom for both a phone line installation and a broadband service.

At the time I was assured by the eircom customer service that no cabling would be required for the phone line to be installed, despite me querying this twice because it didn't sound practical.

On the 9th August I was given a call out time for a technician to install the line between 14:00 and 17:00 on Monday 18th August.

I was informed I would receive a text from the technician one working day prior to the installation to confirm. 

Here are the sequence of events which have unfolded since then:

- No call/text was received on Friday 15th August so I rang 1901 that evening when I was informed a technician was scheduled for the 18th between 09:00 - 12:00. Having not planned for this, my girlfriend took a day off on that Monday so that she could be at the house on the Monday morning.

- Monday 18th August - No technician calls in the morning. My girlfriend rings 1901 and gets a different customer service representative at lunch time who informs her the technician is scheduled to call out to the house on Saturday 23rd August with no record of a call out on the 18th. 

- So I ring up 1901 myself to complain about this and I am informed that the original appointment on August 18th between 14:00 - 17:00 is still in the system and that this was always the call out time. Again, completely different information to that which the two previous customer service reps have given.

- The technician calls out to the house at 16:45. Walks around for 5 minutes and confirms that 3 - 4 hours of cabling work will be required and that I will need my landlord's permission for this. Again, completely different information to that which I received from the original customer service rep. 

- The technician says his company (outsourced from eircom) will ring me Tuesday 19th August to confirm a new call out time. 

- I receive no phone call on Tuesday 19th August. So after I have received my landlord's permission, I call 1901 myself to arrange the call out. The customer service representative says they have put in the request with the cable company and I will receive a phone call with them the following day. 

- Wednesday 20th August goes by and still no phone call. 

- Thursday 21st August - I ring 1901 again to see what is the delay. They inform me there is a record on the system saying the technician arrived on August 18th and there was nobody in the house when they called. They also confirm that no request was sent to the technicians on Tuesday 19th August

At this stage I was getting sick and tired of the misinformation which was being given by everyone but it only gets worse.

- The customer service representative then gives me the cable company phone number to call and arrange the call myself. I ring them and they inform me there is absolutely no way for them to schedule a call out without it going through the eircom system....so they send me back to ring 1901.

-  So Thursday evening I again ring 1901 and I get a different customer service rep. They inform me they have definitely now put in the order for a call out with a technician and that it will take 5 working days for them to respond to me....5 working days.

- I wait until Wednesday 27th August (5 working days) to make my next call to 1901 because of course I haven't been contacted by them yet. They (again) inform me that the record in the system says I missed my appointment on August 18th, which is of course incorrect, and that there has been a delay in the cabling company responding to me. I should expect a call either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning to arrange a call out.

- Friday 29th August  - I call 1901 again because I still have not been contacted by anyone. They inform me have sent a message to the cable company to get an update and that the cable company might get to it Friday, Saturday or Monday and that I should expect a call then.

So here I am now on Sunday 31st August, over 3 weeks after I have put in my initial order and absolute no closer to getting a phone line into my house. 

I was told that 10 working days is the maximum that I would have to wait for this line to be installed. 

I would just like to highlight to anyone who is planning on getting a new line that this is absolutely untrue and that you will be waiting much longer than this.

So far, I have wasted literally hours on the phone about this issue and my girlfriend has wasted a day's annual leave. 

This is quite simply the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It seems like absolutely nobody in eircom talks to one another, and the amount of misinformation in the company is staggering. 

Good luck to anyone who has to enjoy this experience in future. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Razzen

I've at least gotten one step further, But still more terrible Eircom customer service.

I signed up to a Bundle deal (TV, Phone and Broadband) offered by a sales rep at my door. After two days I decided to cancel this and ring Eircom. I was asked why I was canceling and explained My wife didn't like the TV packages offered and I was going to just order the EFibre unlimited bundle online. The Customer service rep mentioned she could sort that out for me now and sign me up for the deal, and quoted me a price of €24 for first 6 months etc. So far everything seemed great, and I st and awaited installation etc. That all passed without issue and I thought that the switch had been smooth and painless.

Until I got my first bill! which was 4 times what i had expected.. so I rang up to sort it out and that's where the fun started. Lets just say I've now spoken to five different service reps. All of whom wont change my bundle to the one I signed up for. They currently have me paying everything separately I'm not on any bundle etc. and they keep telling me I'm no longer a new customer so i can't sign up for these deals, I'm arguing that I signed up for these deals as a new customer and they put me on the wrong package. One rep even stated that I rang in and asked to be removed from all bundles and asked to be charged separately for everything WTF? So I demanded that they replay the original call and see what I signed up for.

I've was told this would take 24/48 hours and that they would definitely call me back, So after three days I ring back and go through similar again, and again get promised by two separate reps that they would call me back later that day, (ask someone was on lunch that they had to speak too) that was Last Thursday, and yes I'm still waiting, I'm sick of reps promising to call me back, and then never returning the call.

I've now also discovered that they never canceled my original contract with UPC as they had promised to do and I even queried it during my calls and was again re-assured that they would sort the switch with UPC, now I'm being billed from both :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi NJC Omega

I'm very sorry to hear of this, I can fully understand the level of disappointment you must feel right now and I apologise for this and for all the inconvenience this has caused.

Please feel free to PM me your order number and I will look in to this for you

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murpmcmurphy

Razzen wrote: »
    I've at least gotten one step further, But still more terrible Eircom customer service.

I signed up to a Bundle deal (TV, Phone and Broadband) offered by a sales rep at my door. After two days I decided to cancel this and ring Eircom. I was asked why I was canceling and explained My wife didn't like the TV packages offered and I was going to just order the EFibre unlimited bundle online. The Customer service rep mentioned she could sort that out for me now and sign me up for the deal, and quoted me a price of €24 for first 6 months etc. So far everything seemed great, and I st and awaited installation etc. That all passed without issue and I thought that the switch had been smooth and painless.

Until I got my first bill! which was 4 times what i had expected.. so I rang up to sort it out and that's where the fun started. Lets just say I've now spoken to five different service reps. All of whom wont change my bundle to the one I signed up for. They currently have me paying everything separately I'm not on any bundle etc. and they keep telling me I'm no longer a new customer so i can't sign up for these deals, I'm arguing that I signed up for these deals as a new customer and they put me on the wrong package. One rep even stated that I rang in and asked to be removed from all bundles and asked to be charged separately for everything WTF? So I demanded that they replay the original call and see what I signed up for.

I've was told this would take 24/48 hours and that they would definitely call me back, So after three days I ring back and go through similar again, and again get promised by two separate reps that they would call me back later that day, (ask someone was on lunch that they had to speak too) that was Last Thursday, and yes I'm still waiting, I'm sick of reps promising to call me back, and then never returning the call.

I've now also discovered that they never canceled my original contract with UPC as they had promised to do and I even queried it during my calls and was again re-assured that they would sort the switch with UPC, now I'm being billed from both :(

Your not alone razzen. I understand completely what you're going through. It's hard to believe how bad eircom is unless you're trying to sort something out with them. I've had absolute war with them. Everytime I call they seem to have no record of what was agreed in the previous call. I cancelled the service, took 100 phone calls and 6 weeks, still not sorted. Luckily for me, they sent a letter cancelling my sky- I'm with upc and that's exactly what I told them from day 1. So no down time with upc while I'm trying to get rid of these joker's.
    You have my sympathy, unfortunately I can't give you any advise apart from writing to conreg. Dealing with eircom will only drive you nuts, they're disgraceful

Razzen wrote: »

Your not alone razzen. I understand completely what you're going through. It's hard to believe how bad eircom is unless you're trying to sort something out with them. I've had absolute war with them. Everytime I call they seem to have no record of what was agreed in the previous call. I cancelled the service, took 100 phone calls and 6 weeks, still not sorted. Luckily for me, they sent a letter cancelling my sky- I'm with upc and that's exactly what I told them from day 1. So no down time with upc while I'm trying to get rid of these joker's.
    You have my sympathy, unfortunately I can't give you any advise apart from writing to conreg. Dealing with eircom will only drive you nuts, they're disgraceful

Hi murpmcmurphy

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing. I'm not too sure of the full extent of the issue so if you would like to send me a PM including your eircom account details and issues in hand I will be happy to look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Would it not be better for the eircom staff replying here to relocate to customer services in Eircom and actually answer the phones.
    The general response seems to be,we are sorry for your trouble and we are all looking into a big deep hole trying to figure out a way to provide you with a phone line.
    I havent actually seen any eircom rep being able to state that their efforts to expedite the case has led any nearer to a solution.
    If someone takes a days annual leave to be there for Eircom staff and no one turns up financial compensation should be paid to that customer.This is simply not good enough.

• Advertisement

NJC Omega wrote: »
    So this is my story so far with eircom customer service.

I moved into a new house 3 weeks ago which did not have a phone line in it. So on Saturday the 9th August I put in a request with eircom for both a phone line installation and a broadband service.

At the time I was assured by the eircom customer service that no cabling would be required for the phone line to be installed, despite me querying this twice because it didn't sound practical.

On the 9th August I was given a call out time for a technician to install the line between 14:00 and 17:00 on Monday 18th August.

I was informed I would receive a text from the technician one working day prior to the installation to confirm. 

Here are the sequence of events which have unfolded since then:

- No call/text was received on Friday 15th August so I rang 1901 that evening when I was informed a technician was scheduled for the 18th between 09:00 - 12:00. Having not planned for this, my girlfriend took a day off on that Monday so that she could be at the house on the Monday morning.

- Monday 18th August - No technician calls in the morning. My girlfriend rings 1901 and gets a different customer service representative at lunch time who informs her the technician is scheduled to call out to the house on Saturday 23rd August with no record of a call out on the 18th. 

- So I ring up 1901 myself to complain about this and I am informed that the original appointment on August 18th between 14:00 - 17:00 is still in the system and that this was always the call out time. Again, completely different information to that which the two previous customer service reps have given.

- The technician calls out to the house at 16:45. Walks around for 5 minutes and confirms that 3 - 4 hours of cabling work will be required and that I will need my landlord's permission for this. Again, completely different information to that which I received from the original customer service rep. 

- The technician says his company (outsourced from eircom) will ring me Tuesday 19th August to confirm a new call out time. 

- I receive no phone call on Tuesday 19th August. So after I have received my landlord's permission, I call 1901 myself to arrange the call out. The customer service representative says they have put in the request with the cable company and I will receive a phone call with them the following day. 

- Wednesday 20th August goes by and still no phone call. 

- Thursday 21st August - I ring 1901 again to see what is the delay. They inform me there is a record on the system saying the technician arrived on August 18th and there was nobody in the house when they called. They also confirm that no request was sent to the technicians on Tuesday 19th August

At this stage I was getting sick and tired of the misinformation which was being given by everyone but it only gets worse.

- The customer service representative then gives me the cable company phone number to call and arrange the call myself. I ring them and they inform me there is absolutely no way for them to schedule a call out without it going through the eircom system....so they send me back to ring 1901.

-  So Thursday evening I again ring 1901 and I get a different customer service rep. They inform me they have definitely now put in the order for a call out with a technician and that it will take 5 working days for them to respond to me....5 working days.

- I wait until Wednesday 27th August (5 working days) to make my next call to 1901 because of course I haven't been contacted by them yet. They (again) inform me that the record in the system says I missed my appointment on August 18th, which is of course incorrect, and that there has been a delay in the cabling company responding to me. I should expect a call either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning to arrange a call out.

- Friday 29th August  - I call 1901 again because I still have not been contacted by anyone. They inform me have sent a message to the cable company to get an update and that the cable company might get to it Friday, Saturday or Monday and that I should expect a call then.

So here I am now on Sunday 31st August, over 3 weeks after I have put in my initial order and absolute no closer to getting a phone line into my house. 

I was told that 10 working days is the maximum that I would have to wait for this line to be installed. 

I would just like to highlight to anyone who is planning on getting a new line that this is absolutely untrue and that you will be waiting much longer than this.

So far, I have wasted literally hours on the phone about this issue and my girlfriend has wasted a day's annual leave. 

This is quite simply the worst customer service I have ever experienced. It seems like absolutely nobody in eircom talks to one another, and the amount of misinformation in the company is staggering. 

Good luck to anyone who has to enjoy this experience in future. 

Hi NJC Omega

I have had a report from operations informing me that your line is now installed, the order is yet to complete on all eircom systems but the line should be fully working for you now.

Has anybody contacted you in relation to placing the broadband order?

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I had similar installation chaos at our house too...installer very unhelpful, we didn't want cables all over our house either, eventually got sorted and they issued credit for hassle and shear annoyance, in fairness, I think they have improved from a few years back

Nettleman wrote: »
    I had similar installation chaos at our house too...installer very unhelpful, we didn't want cables all over our house either, eventually got sorted and they issued credit for hassle and shear annoyance, in fairness, I think they have improved from a few years back
    Hi Nettleman

Sorry to hear of the negative experience but good to hear it eventually got sorted
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Little fish

And I thought my experiences were a one off ! Similar story about delays and misinformation. Customer service raised an official complaint on my behalf last Tuesday (2nd sept) as I raised so many issues but, 8 days later, I have not heard a word from them. Very disappointed with everything Eircom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

And I thought my experiences were a one off ! Similar story about delays and misinformation. Customer service raised an official complaint on my behalf last Tuesday (2nd sept) as I raised so many issues but, 8 days later, I have not heard a word from them. Very disappointed with everything Eircom :(
    I had told them that I was not entering into an 18 month contract until they could assure me they had changed their ways, the eircom of old always got my blood pressure up, old civil service attitude, and
    arrogance to boot. installation issues aside (which is contracted out), its so far so good, but they didn't switch on free Setanta/BT sports when my install went live which was part of the deal. It runs for  months, but....wait for it, you have to phone up after the 60 days to instruct them to turn it off, otherwise you get charged!!! Their systems cannot allow a standing instruction to be put on the account to switch it off after free trial period.

• Advertisement

I had told them that I was not entering into an 18 month contract until they could assure me they had changed their ways, the eircom of old always got my blood pressure up, old civil service attitude, and
    arrogance to boot. installation issues aside (which is contracted out), its so far so good, but they didn't switch on free Setanta/BT sports when my install went live which was part of the deal. It runs for  months, but....wait for it, you have to phone up after the 60 days to instruct them to turn it off, otherwise you get charged!!! Their systems cannot allow a standing instruction to be put on the account to switch it off after free trial period.

I finally got broadband 2 days ago (over a month after I ordered it) and am counting the days already until my contract expires and I can switch. Wondering if my issues will ever be addressed, probably not ......

I finally got broadband 2 days ago (over a month after I ordered it) and am counting the days already until my contract expires and I can switch. Wondering if my issues will ever be addressed, probably not ......
    Hi Little fish

If I can help in any way please PM me the details of the issue in hand including your account details and I will look in to this further for you.

Al

Thanks Al, will do. Although, tbh, I think my new account is flagged as 'do not assist' or similar as every Eircom employee I have spoken to seems to have made a promise they did not keep.

Thanks Al, will do. Although, tbh, I think my new account is flagged as 'do not assist' or similar as every Eircom employee I have spoken to seems to have made a promise they did not keep.
    Hi Little fish

I can assure you such practice is not entertained and I will be happy to assist. Please PM the details.

Thanks
    Al

Dear Al

Yesterday I sent you all the details I had relating to my single order of one Eircom bundle, namely 2 x account nos, 2 x ref nos, 2 x order nos.

Today in the post I have received a letter with a third order no which I will also PM you, along with the very conflicting information on said letter.
    Line 1 : connection fee 0.00, monthly rental 24.79
    Line 2 : connection fee 24.79, monthly rental 0.00
    Line 3 : residence line 0.00, monthly rental 20.96

I do hope I get enough notice of my first bill so I can cancel my direct debit as I am 99.5% certain it will be wrong. In fact, I might just cancel it now to alleviate the stress I will be caused when you remove more than the agreed amounts from my bank account.

I am very disappointed not to have had any feedback from my official complaint, lodged 9 days ago now.

Regards
    Debbie

Dear Al

Yesterday I sent you all the details I had relating to my single order of one Eircom bundle, namely 2 x account nos, 2 x ref nos, 2 x order nos.

Today in the post I have received a letter with a third order no which I will also PM you, along with the very conflicting information on said letter.
    Line 1 : connection fee 0.00, monthly rental 24.79
    Line 2 : connection fee 24.79, monthly rental 0.00
    Line 3 : residence line 0.00, monthly rental 20.96

I do hope I get enough notice of my first bill so I can cancel my direct debit as I am 99.5% certain it will be wrong.  In fact, I might just cancel it now to alleviate the stress I will be caused when you remove more than the agreed amounts from my bank account.

I am very disappointed not to have had any feedback from my official complaint, lodged 9 days ago now.

Regards
    Debbie

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Little fish

I've tried calling you although I keep getting straight through to your mobile number voicemail.

Can you PM a good contact number for you please?

Al[/font]

Dear Al

Thank you for your phone call and satisfactory conclusion.

Kind regards
    Debbie

P.s. If I ever have any further queries with my Eircom account I will take up your offer of contacting you again.

Dear Al

Thank you for your phone call and satisfactory conclusion.

Kind regards
    Debbie

P.s. If I ever have any further queries with my Eircom account I will take up your offer of contacting you again.
    No worries Little fish

You are more than welcome :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murpmcmurphy

Mary63 wrote: »
    Would it not be better for the eircom staff replying here to relocate to customer services in Eircom and actually answer the phones.
    The general response seems to be,we are sorry for your trouble and we are all looking into a big deep hole trying to figure out a way to provide you with a phone line.
    I havent actually seen any eircom rep being able to state that their efforts to expedite the case has led any nearer to a solution.
    If someone takes a days annual leave to be there for Eircom staff and no one turns up financial compensation should be paid to that customer.This is simply not good enough.

You're absolutely right Mary. They have an online team that search social network sites looking for eircom complaints, they try to subdue you with -" sorry to hear about your problem if you just pm me I'll look into this matter for you". And in typical eircom fashion nothing coherent happens. There is a lot of very unhappy customers out there and instead of concentrating on rectifying the basic problems in eircom they instead employ an online team to calm us all down.....

Mary63 wrote: »

You're absolutely right Mary. They have an online team that search social network sites looking for eircom complaints, they try to subdue you with -" sorry to hear about your problem if you just pm me I'll look into this matter for you". And in typical eircom fashion nothing coherent happens. There is a lot of very unhappy customers out there and instead of concentrating on rectifying the basic problems in eircom they instead employ an online team to calm us all down.....

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Sorry to see you feel this way murpmcmurphy

I can't remember ever receiving a PM from you? I've double checked my private message inbox and there is no PM from you there either. If you have an issue please feel free to PM me the details and I will happily assist.

Evidentially from this thread you will see that I asked little fish to PM the details and after looking in to things and establishing a resolution a satisfactory conclusion was found (view post #18).

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Advertisement

Dear Al, I have just received my second bill and was expecting €24 plus call charges (€1.08) but I have been charged €56.81 ?!? Please can you investigate, thanks Debbie

Dear Al,  I have just received my second bill and was expecting €24 plus call charges (€1.08) but I have been charged €56.81 ?!? Please can you investigate, thanks Debbie

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Sorry to hear this Little fish

I've looked in to this and I see that the correct package was not applied until the 16th of October and the bill issues date if the bill in question was the 15th - this basically means that the following bills will reflect the correct package of €24.

At present there is no outstanding balance on your account credits have been approved which leaves your account in credit of €1.73 cent. I have also arranged the a credit to reflect that the correct package charge is applicable to the latest bill ( a credit of 31.48 ) leaving your account in a state of credit of €33.21.

Thanks

Al[/font]

Thanks Al, appreciate that - the thought of phoning customer service brings me out in a sweat !

Thanks Al, appreciate that - the thought of phoning customer service brings me out in a sweat !
    No worries Little fish

Happy to help :)

Al

Hi Al, should I expect to be able to see this credit on my online account ? As yet I cannot. Thanks

Hi Al, should I expect to be able to see this credit on my online account ? As yet I cannot.  Thanks
    Hi Little fish

No, it will not appear on the online account until the next bill is available.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spacetrap

I moved into a new apartment a month ago . The fibre socket was already installed so I phoned Eircom to sign up for the broadband and evision as there isno aerial so no saorview. First off they could not find the address on their system. This took almost a week to rectify. Then an engineer called out to check the line and switched on the line. I had to ring back two days after this to let them know it was active as I was told it takes two days to appear on the system. Next thing a regular modem was posted with half the address missing and only by checking the sorting office in Ennis to find out why we did not receive it did we get it. I phoned Eircom again to switch on broadband but was told as I was getting fibre it was pointless switching it on. I was then given a new installation date for a week later which was yesterday. The engineer came out done all the work inside and then went to the cab outside to switch it on. He came back to tell me that it could not be switched on as the cab number he was given by Eircom was wrong and that he would have to fail the job. He told us to ring them today and get a priority installation as what gas happened is a joke. I done this today. I rang 3 Times to find out when it will get done. The first call I was assured it would be complete within 24 hours. The second call I was told management are looking into it and the third has me rightly peevedas iI have been now told it will be next week as Monday is a bank holiday and that another modem will have to be sent out. So another weekend with no tv or internet. An absolute joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kincaid

We are having trouble with Eircom too, Their customer services is extremely poor, the worst we have seen yet, always telling us they will call you back but never do.
    I cant understand why they treat their customers like this, telling untruths, they take the time to send out the bills which are always paid but when you need something or something is wrong your are forgot about.

spacetrap wrote: »
    I moved into a new apartment a month ago . The fibre socket was already installed so I phoned Eircom to sign up for the broadband and  evision as there isno aerial so no saorview. First off they could not find the address on their system. This took almost a week to rectify. Then an engineer called out to check the line and switched on the line. I had to ring back two days after this to let them know it was active as I was told it takes two days to appear on the system. Next thing a regular modem was posted with half the address missing and only  by checking the sorting office in Ennis to find out why we did not receive it did we get it. I phoned Eircom again to switch on broadband but was told as I was getting fibre it was pointless switching it on. I was then given  a new installation date for a week later which was yesterday. The engineer came out done all the work inside and then went to the cab outside to switch it on. He came back to tell me that it could not be switched on as the cab number he was given by Eircom was wrong and that he would have to fail the job. He told us to ring them today and get a priority installation as what gas happened is a joke. I done this today. I rang 3 Times to find out when it will get done. The first call I was assured it would be  complete within 24 hours. The second call I was told management are looking into it and the third has me rightly peevedas iI have been now told it will be next week as Monday is a bank holiday and that another modem will have to be sent out. So another weekend with no tv or internet. An absolute joke at this stage.
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear of this spacetrap

Please do feel free to PM me your AC or Order number and I'll look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

Hi Little fish

I can assure you such practice is not entertained and I will be happy to assist. Please PM the details.

Thanks
    Al
    Then why doesn't anyone from Eircom care to respond to my thread????

Advertisement