Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income Multiple Limits on Mortgages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I heard on Newstalk there something about Enda Kenny intervening to reduce the 20% back down to 10%.

Anyone hear anything about that? Technically can he force the hand of the Central Bank (Whether he's technically allowed to or not I'm sure, this being Ireland, that he'll be able to do so somehow since this could negatively impact the price of houses)?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I heard on Newstalk there something about Enda Kenny intervening to reduce the 20% back down to 10%.

Anyone hear anything about that? Technically can he force the hand of the Central Bank (Whether he's technically allowed to or not I'm sure, this being Ireland, that he'll be able to do so somehow since this could negatively impact the price of houses)?
    I heard that too, but the only source I could find was the Herald: http://www.herald.ie/news/enda-bid-to-ease-home-loan-fears-of-buyers-30686052.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

People were given mortgages with too high LTV.... There was outcry.

The central bank try to put in place a more sensible LTV threshold ..... There is outcry.

People were given mortgages with too high LTV.... There was outcry.

The central bank try to put in place a more sensible LTV threshold ..... There is outcry.
    I think a 10% minimum is fair though. We were talking about 100%+ mortgages before, which is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I think a 10% minimum is fair though. We were talking about 100%+ mortgages before, which is a different kettle of fish.

A tiny fraction of the total mortgage pot were 100% LTV mortgages.

Most mortgages pre-2008 required at least 8-10% deposit.

Returning to that again seems like no solution to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's word that the government (i.e. the taxpayer) will guarantee 10% of the mortgage. Which is such a crazy idea that you'd hope it is only kite flying by some VI - but this is Ireland where piling more debt on young people & creating a second property price bubble seems to be the main aim of politicians, media and an awful lot of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As far as I know, there's nothing he can do in a straightforward way to force the Central Bank to back down. The Central Bank is independent, and has power over the banks. If they require banks to take a certain level of deposit, that's prudential regulation, and the job of the Central Bank. After all, this is exactly why you have independent central banks - so that they can do what is unpopular but necessary.

However, he can carry out the intervention he has suggested, which does, or could, have the effect of neutralising the CB's cap - a lot depends on how tight the qualification for government 'mortgage insurance' is.

If it were to be a widespread scheme, then it could remove all the prudential effects of the CB's regulation, directly creating moral hazard and taxpayer liabilities at the banks while propping up inflated house prices.

If it's not a widespread scheme, but instead a tightly controlled one, then it's essentially a political fix, which allows house prices to fall as per the CB's intention, but avoids blame for having "done nothing to help the deserving".

I'm hoping for the latter - a narrow scheme is as politically clever as a broad scheme is economically stupid.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Scofflaw wrote: »
    If it were to be a widespread scheme, then it could remove all the prudential effects of the CB's regulation, directly creating moral hazard and taxpayer liabilities at the banks while propping up inflated house prices.
    This would be an excellent opportunity for the regulator to assert their independence & prudential function by matching any attempt by politicians of the day to subvert their new rules, by applying a commensurate increase in the deposit requirements. We've already seen that politicians will ignore the fiscal council, and we are rapidly heading back to the policies of the early 2000s.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If it is an insurance type scheme, could the cost be borne by having the buyer pay a premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do you think we will ever get away form the populous verses the prudent carry on!

I don't agree with the 20% by the way maybe 15%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

I'm shocked that people still think 20% is too high.

If you find it a struggle to gather together 20% of the price of a property, you most likely are going to struggle to pay the other 80%!!!

To take an example.
    5% payment on 20 year mortgage on 80% of the value of a house = X
    If you save X for three years (and two months) you will have your 20% deposit.

If you can't manage to save X for 38 months then you probably aren't in a position to get a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

If you find it a struggle to gather together 20% of the price of a property, you most likely are going to struggle to pay the other 80%!!!

To take an example.

If you can't manage to save X for 38 months then you probably aren't in a position to get a mortgage.

Your calculation ignores the fact that those in rented accomodation will not be paying rent anymore if they buy their own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Your calculation ignores the fact that those in rented accomodation will not be paying rent anymore if they buy their own property.
    Fair point.
    I concede it ruins my entire argument but I stand by my overall point. If you can't easily get to 20%, you will struggle to pay off the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Where in Dublin ( or anywhere else ) do you put more accommodation where people want to live, proper planning while a good thing in its self will not make more development land available if it not physically there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

To take an example.

It's a case of I want a house and I want it now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Charlie Weston beating the usual Indo pro-increasing property prices drum:
    So enter some brainy people in the Government with a scheme that does not in any way undermine the job of Dr Honohan in protecting the banks from themselves and avoiding us having to rescue them again.

The Government will put in place an insurance scheme to guarantee 10pc of the value of the property being mortgaged.

New buyers will have to come up with a 10pc deposit, less onerous than the 20pc one.

But the banks will be protected up to 20pc of the property's value - half of this will be covered with the deposit and the other half from the mortgage insurance.

The only downside is that buyers will have to pay a small premium for the insurance.

It is a stroke, if not a master stroke, that gets everyone out of a fix.

He completely ignores the fact that in the case of a default the government is on the hook for 10% of the original house value.

link

mariaalice wrote: »
    Where in Dublin ( or anywhere else ) do you put more accommodation where people want to live, proper planning while a good thing in its self will not make more development land available if it not physically there in the first place.

You can go up as well as out.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Charlie Weston beating the usual Indo pro-increasing property prices drum:
    So enter some brainy people in the Government with a scheme that does not in any way undermine the job of Dr Honohan in protecting the banks from themselves and avoiding us having to rescue them again.

The Government will put in place an insurance scheme to guarantee 10pc of the value of the property being mortgaged.

New buyers will have to come up with a 10pc deposit, less onerous than the 20pc one.

But the banks will be protected up to 20pc of the property's value - half of this will be covered with the deposit and the other half from the mortgage insurance.

The only downside is that buyers will have to pay a small premium for the insurance.

It is a stroke, if not a master stroke, that gets everyone out of a fix.

He completely ignores the fact that in the case of a default the government is on the hook for 10% of the original house value.

link

I presume that the idea is that the insurance premium covers the risk in the case of default (thus adding to the total mortgage repayment, which will now be 90% + interest + premium). Thus the government also bears no risk....but, wait...why is the government involved?

If this is a perfectly sensible arrangement, where the premiums cover the risk, then why not have it done by private insurance companies? Surely it's not because the premium won't really cover the risk? Oh dear.

And that's assuming that both the banks and the government have a good handle on the risk involved. Let's turn, therefore, to their track record on property-finance risk assessment. Oh dear again.

This is a fine example of "populism" - doing what sounds popular, even though it is almost certainly a bad idea, or would be if it worked.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

No, it's an example of the State actually doing something for its people.

People who contribute to society...people who ARE society rather than freeloaders and gobsh1tes.

In many cases there are couples who are paying high rents, childcare costs and the austerity taxes and managing to save a deposit for their own home. Telling that person that at the stroke of some fat cat civil servant's pen, it'll tale them 8 years instead of 4 to put together their deposit is devastating.

I rarely say this - Fair play to Enda Kenny.

• Advertisement

No, it's an example of the State actually doing something for its people.

People who contribute to society...people who ARE society rather than freeloaders and gobsh1tes.

In many cases there are couples who are paying high rents, childcare costs and the austerity taxes and managing to save a deposit for their own home. Telling that person that at the stroke of some fat cat civil servant's pen, it'll tale them 8 years instead of 4 to put together their deposit is devastating.

I rarely say this - Fair play to Enda Kenny.

Event thought I agree with increased deposits your post has kind of convinced me :)... It is not fair on a lot of couples. it is one of those issues that is very had to get right though.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    You can go up as well as out.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

All that would happen then is that people could possible live in the area they want but not in the accommodation they want, swooping one problem for another.

It slightly irritates me when people say they live in apartments in mainland Europe with families so why cant we do it. They have completely different patterns of property provision and have had for century's, a completely different culture, we are not German or Hungarian we are Irish.

How do you define safe playgrounds, plus even if you were right there is very little to no development land in the areas that people want to liven( in Dublin anyway ) so how could your apartments be built.

I absolutely disagree with anyone that says city living is not possible for families. It has been shot down so many times now. Even in areas where there is a culture of suburbanisation it has proven to be a massive success. Take the Pearl District in Portland for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_District,_Portland,_Oregon
    http://explorethepearl.com/

It's a world-class example of both urban regeneration and urban living. An area like this in Dublin is more than achievable if we wanted to.

I absolutely disagree with anyone that says city living is not possible for families. It has been shot down so many times now. Even in areas where there is a culture of suburbanisation it has proven to be a massive success. Take the Pearl District in Portland for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_District,_Portland,_Oregon

It's a world-class example of both urban regeneration and urban living. An area like this in Dublin is more than achievable if we wanted to.

I am not disagreeing as such just making some points, Dublin council has offered a site for development in to 4 family size apartments to a cooperative that want to get together to provide housing for themselves, Ringsend has a community/housing association apartment complex. That means the will is there by the council to try this so there must be something else stopping it from further development.

It is a very good example of urban development, how did they get on with interrogating the gritty urban locals and those mainly relying on social welfare for an income in the redevelopment.

I am not disagreeing as such just making some points, Dublin council has offered a site for development in to 4 family size apartments to a cooperative that want to get together to provide housing for themselves, Ringsend has a community/housing association apartment complex. That means the will is there by the council to try this so there must be something else stopping it from further development.
    It's not the same. We have huge swaths of the city which are prime for an urban regeneration project; restoration of buildings to family homes, demolition of buildings not fit for purpose (1950s-1990s) and construction of new work/life areas (apartments, offices, retail, restaurants and parks - all fit for purpose).

• Advertisement

It is a very good example of urban development, how did they get on with interrogating the gritty urban locals and those mainly relying on social welfare for an income in the redevelopment.
    The area was a fairly run-down area of dodgy flats and warehouses. The city zoned the area and set out a plan for regeneration with tax increment funding plans. Those plans required all developments to make 30% of the housing affordable (here it would be social) - this meant they were fully integrated and mixed in to the rest of the community living there.

There were of course vetting processes and rules to which all tenants had to comply. The planning ensured adequate local schooling, services, shops and outdoor space. There are actually 3 fairly good sized parks (one is probably Stephen's Green sized and the other two about half the size, one of which has an outdoor water thing for kids to play in).

Advertisement