Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Loathe Dublin Bus

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Oh, come on. The bus was sitting still, the traffic was stopped at a red light up the road.

Fine. I won't take it personally. Just as i hope he wouldn't take it personally if i told him i thought he was a knob.

They are not meant to pick up or drop off in the middle of the road. You were 100% in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was told by the driver this morning that hot drinks (I had a coffee) weren't allowed on the bus so I couldn't get on. First time I've ever been told this. Anyone else experienced this on Dublin Bus?

It's in the bye laws.

Driver discretion.

I personally don't as I dont need a cup in the face as has happened without confronting the person so imagine how unhappy someone could be.

Saipanne wrote: »
    They are not meant to pick up or drop off in the middle of the road. You were 100% in the wrong.

110% correct saippan

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I think a lot of you are missing the point.

were not. he hadn't the money to pay the fare, therefore he didn't get to travel, therefore he was asked to leave the bus. no point missed.
    Compare the private sector to how Dublin Bus operates, it's madness.

yeah. shur the perfect private sector would never treat customers badly. yeah, right

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Dublin Bus have a team that are paid to take complaints or queries and Dublin Bus drivers are not.

Why does everyone have to take their anger, frustration and so on out on the driver. As I said I know there are bad drivers who have no time for the passengers but I really think people need to take a step back and take a deep breath and realise that these drivers may have ended up like this after years of abuse and been always in the wrong even when they were right.

It is one thing about working in such a job you soon notice you will never win or be right so some have probably taken this to heart and can no longer stand the job but have nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Dublin Bus have a team that are paid to take complaints or queries and Dublin Bus drivers are not.

Why does everyone have to take their anger, frustration and so on out on the driver. As I said I know there are bad drivers who have no time for the passengers but I really think people need to take a step back and take a deep breath and realise that these drivers may have ended up like this after years of abuse and been always in the wrong even when they were right.

It is one thing about working in such a job you soon notice you will never win or be right so some have probably taken this to heart and can no longer stand the job but have nothing else.

If you don't like the job or the way you're treated then quit. Ill mannered people shouldn't deal with the public

If you don't like the job or the way you're treated then quit. Ill mannered people shouldn't deal with the public

So because I like a job but get grief from people who really should know better I should quit wow you are very quick off the mark there.

I am telling how it is and sorry that seems to offend you.

If you don't like travelling by bus don't

If you do then and were a decent person you wouldn't have a problem with a driver as you wouldn't be starting.

So because I like a job but get grief from people who really should know better I should quit wow you are very quick off the mark there.

I am telling how it is and sorry that seems to offend you.

If you don't like travelling by bus don't

If you do then and were a decent person you wouldn't have a problem with a driver as you wouldn't be starting.

It's hardly the passenger's fault you're late is it? (i.e. the folk in customer service are hardly to blame for your lateness)

Just because there are one or too difficult people to deal with doesn't mean you've to be a grumpy sod for everyone.

If you don't like the job or the way you're treated then quit.

and do what. incase you haven't noticed, the country isn't a wash with good jobs as it once was. maybe stop giving drivers grief and they won't be rude back.
    Ill mannered people shouldn't deal with the public

and those Ill mannered members of the public shouldn't be Ill mannered themselves.

and do what. incase you haven't noticed, the country isn't a wash with good jobs as it once was. maybe stop giving drivers grief and they won't be rude back.

and those Ill mannered members of the public shouldn't be Ill mannered themselves.

Re-educate yourself. I've done it three times over. Plenty of courses out there. I can hear the violins playing for the bus drivers by the way. They don't because they're waiting for two buses to leave the depot so they can all come in threes.

Passengers complain for a reason by the way

• Advertisement

Re-educate yourself. I've done it three times over. Plenty of courses out there. I can hear the violins playing for the bus drivers by the way. They don't because they're waiting for two buses to leave the depot so they can all come in threes.

Sound like a motorist giving out the bus lane is empty or the bus takes up too much room.

This is the exact attitude we drivers have to deal with on a daily basis.

Re-educate yourself. I've done it three times over. Plenty of courses out there.

and no guarantee of employment afterwords

I can hear the violins playing for the bus drivers by the way.

i can't hear anything apart from my radio here.

They don't because they're waiting for two buses to leave the depot so they can all come in threes.

yeah, i'm sure they are. busses leave when the timetable says they leave unless there are exceptional circumstances. if they come in 3s its to due with traffic. as a user, i know thats the reason.

were not talking about someone complaining, were talking about those few who are self entitled and who expect the driver to carry out whatever request they make even though it maybe against the rules, or expect to be able to travel for free when they don't have the proper fare, or the fare at all. when the driver can't do it because its against the rules, they insult the driver, or come on here or other places ranting and raving and calling the driver names because the driver refuses to break the rules for them.

Awful attitude see the pun:pac:

I will explain this as best I can bear with bliss

Bus 1 leaves terminus at 12.00, bus 2 leaves at 12.10, bus 3 leaves at 12.20.

You with me so far ??????

Bus 1 ends up getting a lot of passengers and ends up been held up along the way.( hold ups could be the passenger who doesn't have the change out or no funds on card, passenger or even just someone off the street looking for directions, someone enquiring about another bus or times, lost luggage or item, they were attacked or given abuse etc etc, and I could keep going there is that much that could happen.)

Bus 2 ends up catching bus 1 as the bus stops bus 1 has cleared along the way.

You with me ?

Bus 3 then catches near 3/4 of the journey due to clearer stops and maybe a break in traffic and possibly got a lot more green lights.

You got this much?

What actually happens is the buses end up getting thepassengers to their destination quicker in the end as a result of the load been spread out.

Bls hope you could follow with all the different re education.

There is a policy that use to be done or possibly could be brought back in where the bus would have to wait a certain time at stops and end up taking a hell of a lot longer to complete the journey.

Bus 1 leaves at 12.00 and isn't due at other end till 13.50 lets say.

The bus may do this in 1 hr 35 min but because it's ahead of time it will have to lose time along the way in the long run this would create anger and frustration in passengers as it takes so long.

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's also a rip off when you compare the prices to other similarly sized cities in Europe.

i can't confirm or deny this, but if so, i'd imagine those cities give proper funding to whoever runs the busses so that travel can be cheep, and have things implemented so people will use the bus including the relevant infrastructure which in turn may also potentially help keep the price low.
    Also pretty pathetic how there isn't a bus service passed 11:30pm on the weekday. Key routes should have longer hours.

i agree. all comes down to funding though.

I've found if you need to rely on specific busses at peak times, Dublin Bus will drive you insane. They can't seem to handle rush hour at all, and the time tables are very inadequate (eg, they still timetable a bus for every 10 mins during rush hour, when this is very rarely the case).

Real time is **** half the time, phantom busses appear and never arrive, or get down to 2 mins etc, and then disappear.

It's also a rip off when you compare the prices to other similarly sized cities in Europe.

Also pretty pathetic how there isn't a bus service passed 11:30pm on the weekday. Key routes should have longer hours.

With the luas works taking place in the CC over the next few years, things aren't helping. It takes ages now to get from say, O'Connell Street to Nassau Street because of the works. Obviously not Dublin Busses fault, but they should at least update their timetabling to reflect this.

You are right the timetable are out dated and haven't really been looked at for the last 4 years.
    I believe this is because they are fazing them out or hoping to with the real time.

You are also right that there are phantom buses and buses missing.
    This can and should be updated and should be worked on as they have someone helping out on twitter but only really during business hours.

The real time info signs could be used so much better and more info on them so as you as a passenger know the story.

As a driver we only know what we are doing as one not what every other bus is doing or where they are some find this strange and think we are computers and know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

So the driver giving you a bit of lip and looking at you like you have two heads, is worst(in your mind)than you expecting to get on the bus without paying!?
    HUH WELL??.

I'm not familar with Dublin bus, but I know in London there are Inspectors who constantly go round the City jumping from bus to bus-tube to tube, now surely if they came across the OP on the bus and checked her ticket! he would be able to figure out that the driver must have let her on for free, or at least some sort of shananagans had occurred...

I used the underground and Bus in London last year and cost me £2.40 Sterling not € to travel 3 bus stops not 3 stages or 13 stages I mean 3 bus stops so only paying €2.50 here to travel all the way seems extremely cheap to me and if you use the bus a lot max cost with leap is €6.90 in a day.

My car costs more just turning the key.

As end of the road said these other countries are properly funded.

There is something by the looks of things in the pipeline as soon enough DB will no longer actually own any bus apart from 1 SG which was recently purchased out of 80 taken in.

Bus cost around €350,000 a piece.

This country is broke but someone decided a sure sell off all the buses which could be overhauled and updated and would easily do another 10 years service but sell them off so a private company gets them cheap and then takes business away from DB.

Private hire for schools are no longer allowed as the buses must be fitted with belts but we have school kids on the bus every day so I am lost with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I gave up on Dublin bus this year for a couple of reasons. The drivers were fine - never had a problem, just scan your card and get on the bus, simple. The problem is the animals that use Dublin bus on certain routes. Some routes are just full of dirt birds, junkies and maniacs.

The other reason is traffic. I have to commute across the Liffey every day. The LUAS works have fcuked up everything. A 40 min journey now takes over an hour. I've jogged it in 50 and cycled it in 30.

This country is broke but someone decided a sure sell off all the buses which could be overhauled and updated and would easily do another 10 years service but sell them off so a private company gets them cheap and then takes business away from DB.

i thought they were sold abroad? i do agree though dublin bus should own the busses outright.
    Private hire for schools are no longer allowed as the buses must be fitted with belts but we have school kids on the bus every day so I am lost with this.

i am as well.

Use to be sold abroad now it is a tender process on the net and anyone can buy.

The been sold abroad had a slight loop hole where a foreign company would purchase then re sell to a Irish company which in some cases were actuall previous employee's of DB ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Saipanne wrote: »

Just so we're clear the traffic was stopped at the red light, and tailed all the way back to the bus stop, which is exactly where the bus was sitting.

Sitting still, directly in front of the bus stop.

So i stepped off the kerb (watching for 50cc bikes etc., as I actually actively try to avoid being knocked down), and knocked on the door.

While he stared ahead at the still traffic in front of him, ignoring me.

I do admire the way so many of you are quick to jump to his defence, despite not having been there.

But while I'm here, what of the many, many drivers I've seen do all these things? Y'know stop away from the bus stop, open doors once they've been closed etc?

I'll save you the trouble. I'm 100% wrong about them too.

Enjoy the next AGM, chaps. You've earned it.

Just so we're clear the traffic was stopped at the red light, and tailed all the way back to the bus stop, which is exactly where the bus was sitting.

So i stepped off the kerb (watching for 50cc bikes etc., as I actually actively try to avoid being knocked down), and knocked on the door.

I do admire the way so many of you are quick to jump to his defence, despite not having been there.

But while I'm here, what of the many, many drivers I've seen do all these things? Y'know stop away from the bus stop, open doors once they've been closed etc?

oh for god sake. he wasn't in the bus stop but outside it, he therefore wasn't allowed to let you on. end of. the fact that some may break that rule isn't a reason to whine over this

You actually letterally have no kerb to stand on....

You say you had to step off the kerb to get to door so he was no longer at the stop.

I can't actually see how you think this is ok.

As a driver we have to look after number 1 as nobody else will and if he opened the door and someone then stepped off would you take reponsibility for that person if they fell or were hit including yourself as when something like that does actually happen people like yourself are very quick to point the finger that the bus wasn't at the stop and then sue.

You think we are jumping in defending him well I am not as he done a good job of thatr himself by not opening the door.

Drivers have been nice and tried to help others by letting out early at say lights or back from the stop only for them to fall, trip or get hit so please save it.

Sure do what a lot do and put in a complaint that the driver wouldn't open the door where he had already passed or left the stop.

Love to hear response you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

were not. he hadn't the money to pay the fare, therefore he didn't get to travel, therefore he was asked to leave the bus. no point missed.
    Yes you are, you're purposely missing the point. Since someone has already pointed this out to you I doubt you're going to get it this time but I'll give it a go...
    If the driver had said "Sorry mate, no can do", or something civil but firm along those lines, there'd be nothing to complain about. However, he did not and there is no public-facing job on earth that allows you to be rude to customers. I'd get a bollicking for it (I work in a shop) and rightly so. I'm not paid to like people, just to operate on behalf of the company, which means not being rude and giving people cause to complain.
    It's the exact same as people giving out to shop assistants (hey!) when they disagree with something set by the management. Management always have a way of hiding behind their front line employees and most people don't care about sending emails off to some invisible task force, they just want someone to give out to. While I can understand this, it is SO very grating, and I understand how it just sucks the life out of you when you're facing it for years.

Also, R.E. your post on buses leaving at different times and arriving at the same time... this is so bloody annoying for people during rush hour and I'm sure you can appreciate how stupid the practice is. However, I'm also aware that drivers have nothing to do with timetabling and yet again have to face the public's ire for the management's ill-made decisions.

Drivers definitely get the short end of the stick as the majority of people will realise. But really, the public are getting shafted too, and by the same people who shaft you guys: Dublin Bus management.

It's those guys who need the kick up the hole, not the drivers or the public. They make both parties' lives harder, as far as I can see!

Again. You were wrong. No matter the context, drivers are instructed not to pick up and drop off in the middle of the road Rules are rules. This may startle you, but they apply to you too (i know, it's a travesty). Accept it and the years of anger will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

ardle1 wrote: »
    So the driver giving you a bit of lip

"A bit of lip" ? It's actually amazing how hard you try to twist the story. The driver screamed at him. If I screamed at a customer in work I'd be given a formal warning.

Comments like that make it clear as day that you're completely biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Boarding-and-Alighting/
    7. No person shall attempt to board or to alight from the vehicle after the doors have commenced to close.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/
    43. No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Boarding-and-Alighting/
    7. No person shall attempt to board or to alight from the vehicle after the doors have commenced to close.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/
    43. No person shall consume alcoholic drinks or other beverages or food while on the vehicle.

Of course there's number 76. No rules apply to
    Ol Donie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You actually letterally have no kerb to stand on....

You say you had to step off the kerb to get to door so he was no longer at the stop.

I can't actually see how you think this is ok.

I've had to step off kerbs to get on buses loads of times - like in the city centre, pretty much every evening on Pearse Street, when another bus (or a Garda car) is parked at the bus stop. If a driver can't get close to the kerb, are they breaking the rules by allowing people to board the bus in the middle of the road? In those circumstances, if an inspector saw a bus driver who had no choice but to let passengers on in the city centre, away from the footpath, would the driver face disciplinary action? Should I report the driver next time it happens?
    Ol' Donie wrote:

In that situation, the driver should have used a bit of common sense and let you on. In fairness, I think most drivers probably would - you were just unlucky to encounter someone who wasn't even prepared to have some manners and make eye-contact, let alone be decent and obliging. It might technically be in breach of the rules, but he was still at the bus stop and it was very obviously a low-risk situation. He was being a dick.

There is a significant minority of drivers in Dublin Bus, who are extremely ignorant towards their customers. I accept that they have to take a lot of crap from idiots, but that's true of anyone who has to deal with the general public. In no other industry is it considered acceptable to take your frustrations out on the rest of your customers.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    I've had to step off kerbs to get on buses loads of times - like in the city centre, pretty much every evening on Pearse Street, when another bus (or a Garda car) is parked at the bus stop. If a driver can't get close to the kerb, are they breaking the rules by allowing people to board the bus in the middle of the road? In those circumstances, if an inspector saw a bus driver who had no choice but to let passengers on in the city centre, away from the footpath, would the driver face disciplinary action? Should I report the driver next time it happens?

In that situation, the driver should have used a bit of common sense and let you on. In fairness, I think most drivers probably would - you were just unlucky to encounter someone who wasn't even prepared to have some manners and make eye-contact, let alone be decent and obliging. It might technically be in breach of the rules, but he was still at the bus stop and it was very obviously a low-risk situation. He was being a dick.

There is a significant minority of drivers in Dublin Bus, who are extremely ignorant towards their customers. I accept that they have to take a lot of crap from idiots, but that's true of anyone who has to deal with the general public. In no other industry is it considered acceptable to take your frustrations out on the rest of your customers.

Hold on there chief.

The bus was not at the stop think the argument is getting a bit old.

In the city this is a common problem and it is crazy and dangerous but report away for the nerve of a driver actually picking up and dropping people off at a stop.

I don't get what it is about who I should report and sue.

As I said before trams don't re open doors if closed or pulled away and trains are the same so I can't wait till the doors are linked to god and only open when he says so.....

Advertisement