Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a bunch of young girls to take up farming? Here is how.....

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

This is a hilariously cringe worthy advert to try and convince youngsters to get into farming...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Exactly what part were you looking at???
    More likely to have the lads applying in droves:pac:
    Good advert for the college if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Wish I'd seen that advert before i settled for ballyhaise, nothing like that happens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Wish I'd had the balls to pick one of the British colleges back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

C0N0R wrote: »
    Wish I'd seen that advert before i settled for ballyhaise, nothing like that happens there.

Harper adams is by no means grass based but it is some place.
    Its like an IT here it has so many students. And lots if women Aswell as a student bar. I waa tempted to go there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

This ad makes me cry when I think of my experience of ag college!

• Advertisement

Its like an IT here it has so many students. And lots if women Aswell as a student bar. I waa tempted to go there

Aye know a few people that went over there, if I had of realized when I left school that I wanted to do ag that's where I should have gone, but I'd probably be encouraging the auld lad to increase meal, screw grass if I had!!

Lincoln in Christchurch is the same, some amount of women about it and unreal craic. Went a couple of times to a concert the student union organize and everyone is in fancy dress, one of the best days of my time in nz!! Don't think the pics would be suitable for boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

when i went to college in england it was a totally different world than ag college here and a real eye opener:eek:

whelan2 wrote: »
    when i went to college in england it was a totally different world than ag college here and a real eye opener:eek:

Which one dud you go ti?
    Ag colleges here dont compare to over there theu organise nights out have bars.
    Theres alot more students thete though few hundred in ag colleges here and few thousand there

Aye know a few people that went over there, if I had of realized when I left school that I wanted to do ag that's where I should have gone, but I'd probably be encouraging the auld lad to increase meal, screw grass if I had!!

Lincoln in Christchurch is the same, some amount of women about it and unreal craic. Went a couple of times to a concert the student union organize and everyone is in fancy dress, one of the best days of my time in nz!! Don't think the pics would be suitable for boards!!

Could you go to college in nz if you wanted to?

Which one dud you go ti?
    Ag colleges here dont compare to over there theu organise nights out have bars.
    Theres alot more students thete though few hundred in ag colleges here and few thousand there
    over 20 years ago :o
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reaseheath.ac.uk%2F&ei=aQhEVPzhMKXB7AaBjoCACQ&usg=AFQjCNHOUI62n1-wIgHwxTrIEzN6PGBo1w&sig2=5m3lSXeexoaDE2iNMAsp9g&bvm=bv.77880786,d.ZGU

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »

Thats not so long ago.
    Would ye encourage your children to go the England if they wanted to go farming? I had great craic in kildalton id love to go back and do it all over again

Could you go to college in nz if you wanted to?

Yea you can get student visas if you wanted, could be rather pricey though. Just remembered was talking to someone who was thinking about harper Adams and I'm nearly sure he said it was going to cost €12000 for fees and acomodation! Makes ballyhaise look cheap at €995!!

Yea you can get student visas if you wanted, could be rather pricey though. Just remembered was talking to someone who was thinking about harper Adams and I'm nearly sure he said it was going to cost €12000 for fees and acomodation! Makes ballyhaise look cheap at €995!!

Really? Thats what ucd would cost for a yr here. Ate you staying in balyhaise?

Really? Thats what ucd would cost for a yr here. Ate you staying in balyhaise?

Ucd costing 12000?? God don't think I'll make it that far then! Looking at moving into ag science degree course in dundalk next year. No driving up each day, only takes 30 mins so costing me €50 in petrol. Did you stay or drive to kildalton?

Ucd costing 12000?? God don't think I'll make it that far then! Looking at moving into ag science degree course in dundalk next year. No driving up each day, only takes 30 mins so costing me €50 in petrol. Did you stay or drive to kildalton?

Sister was there for 5 yrs again you oay accommodation and fees it would be a good chunk in the yr.
    Stayed down in piltown. Was brilliant time I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

Was in ballyhaise myself back in 96-97 good craic in bradys of a evening the first Tallaght (dublin)man to go there

Was in ballyhaise myself back in 96-97 good craic in bradys of a evening the first Tallaght (dublin)man to go there

ger b wrote: »

Haven't made it to Bradys for an evening yet, joys of driving! There is a lad from castleknock in my year now!

Haven't made it to Bradys for an evening yet, joys of driving! There is a lad from castleknock in my year now!

Your not boarding there so but I'm sure they all head into cavan town on thurs nite students nite ahh good times good to hear the dubs r still infiltrating the agri industry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

ger b wrote: »
    Your not boarding there so but I'm sure they all head into cavan town on thurs nite students nite ahh good times good to hear the dubs r still infiltrating the agri industry

Lot of farming in Dublin. There is a dairy heard in castleknock. Im thinking about studying ag next year, im more into the tillage/horticulture end of things anyone have any experience with these courses at home or abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

micraX wrote: »
    Lot of farming in Dublin. There is a dairy heard in castleknock. Im thinking about studying ag next year, im more into the tillage/horticulture end of things anyone have any experience with these courses at home or abroad?

Harper adams or Royal ag college(Cirencester) for crops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

micraX wrote: »

Writtle (Essex) had good Hort courses, back in my day, also had good arable course content and plenty of local farms to visit with good variety of crops. Loads of Kildare/Meath lads there for the arable/spuds end of things in my time.
    They also had a big equine intake.... ah the days of dizzy essex blondes in jodphurs...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Writtle (Essex) had good Hort courses, back in my day, also had good arable course content and plenty of local farms to visit with good variety of crops. Loads of Kildare/Meath lads there for the arable/spuds end of things in my time.
    They also had a big equine intake.... ah the days of dizzy essex blondes in jodphurs...:D:D

My sister is lecturing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Ah now freedom I never said anything about the lecturers... Have you been over yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

tracy and mandy dancing around their handbags, I went there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

The closest I got to agricultural college was five weeks in Athenry in the early 2000's doing the 180 hours course. A lot of the lectures were seriously boring but the food was good. Thursday nights in Galway were good crack.
    Teagasc were putting down concrete and sheds up as fast as they could. Is that place still open or was it sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

was in kildalton in late 90s. students had to be in rooms by 11pm and had study hours between 7 and 9, roll call each class complete load of ****. thankfully I was in digs and owned a car so every wed went to waterford. it was like farmers kids were were not fit to be proper students. most of us were going home after the year so it was going to be our only college year. college is not just about academic learning. the biggest excitement was the gaa bar for some there

When I was in warrenstown girls where not allowed stay in the college. We where in a house about 2 miles away

• Advertisement

st1979 wrote: »
    was in kildalton in late 90s. students had to be in rooms by 11pm and had study hours between 7 and 9, roll call each class complete load of ****. thankfully I was in digs and owned a car so every wed went to waterford. it was like farmers kids were were not fit to be proper students. most of us were going home after the year so it was going to be our only college year. college is not just about academic learning. the biggest excitement was the gaa bar for some there
    Ye I had heard it was like that. Complete opposite now. Remember going out 3 nights a week for a few months. Good times

Advertisement