Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Are you sure that's not the actress that replied to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not the actress that replied to you?

Who knows. All I read was 'MAJOR ALE EVENT'. So we'll see. I'm still happy enough drinking six point/Goose island/Brooklyn/8 degrees etc bottles/cans for 2.45.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Any cask at all? Apart from Tetleys

Tetleys is most definitely not on cask. It's a nitro bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tweeted this evening at 9:44 p.m. from @ThreeTunTavern .....

#fact - we have sold 16 Barrels of Heineken in 3 days. That's 1710gallons or 1408 pints. That's a lot.

Edit: it seems to have been pulled (deleted), I've typed it above exactly as posted on Twitter so please don't pull me up on the gallons/pints error. By my reckoning the numbers stack up if you substitute 176 for the number of gallons. 16 barrels at 11 gallons a barrel is 176 gallons or 1,408 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Tetleys is most definitely not on cask. It's a nitro bitter.

Ah, my mistake, I havent drank it, just assumed it was because it was on of the €1.99 specials.

It was absolutely packed tonight and about half of their products were sold out. They had no vodka at all and their Jameson was gone.

Its the worst service I've had in there so far, their staff cannot handle crowds.

• Advertisement

It was absolutely packed tonight and about half of their products were sold out. They had no vodka at all and their Jameson was gone.

Its the worst service I've had in there so far, their staff cannot handle crowds.

At those new prices they better have the barricades ready when they open the old Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire, they might even get some of the regulars from O'Loughlins!

coylemj wrote: »
    At those new prices they better have the barricades ready when they open the old Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire, they might even get some of the regulars from O'Loughlins!

They would want to, they just don't have any experienced staff at the moment and it's working to their detriment.

@ThreeTunTavern at 12:35 a.m. tonight ....

Thank you for a brilliant night! See you at breakfast! #hangoverhoody #noregrets #wetherspoonrevolution

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@ThreeTunTavern at 12:35 a.m. tonight ....

Thank you for a brilliant night! See you at breakfast! #hangoverhoody #noregrets #wetherspoonrevolution

Promoting responsible drinking. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

#wetherspoonrevolution

While there may be a little truth in that, it comes across as being very cocky.

• Advertisement

A point that hasn't really come up so far, AFAIK.

Even if Spoons are a lot cheaper for ever, will this really bring prices down elsewhere? I mean, if Spoons reach 5% market penetration, which is a lot, there are still 95% of pubs that aren't Spoons. It's not like everyone is going to be able to go to Spoons, is it? The other pubs can just accept they'll lose some customers and keep charging 5-6 quid a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Lucena wrote: »
    #wetherspoonrevolution

While there may be a little truth in that, it comes across as being very cocky.

Not sure about it being cocky, if they can make it work, and force others (LVA pubs especially) to lower their prices, then maybe it is a revolution. They already have a far better selection than most Irish pubs, and at prices cheaper than off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

A point that hasn't really come up so far, AFAIK.

Even if Spoons are a lot cheaper for ever, will this really bring prices down elsewhere? I mean, if Spoons reach 5% market penetration, which is a lot, there are still 95% of pubs that aren't Spoons. It's not like everyone is going to be able to go to Spoons, is it? The other pubs can just accept they'll lose some customers and keep charging 5-6 quid a pint.

It'll probably force pubs to start having special offers, a particular pint for 2.50 or some sort of meal deal. I don't see pubs rivalling wetherspoons for price any time soon, but its a win-win for the consumer if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

slayerking wrote: »
    They do. They have hobgoblin, broadside and doombar.

Doombar eh? Bit of a favourite of mine. Anyone tried it here? If so was it in good nick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ale festival on from 17th to 2nd November

Ale festival on from 17th to 2nd November

+1 The Three Tun Tavern ‏@ThreeTunTavern 5:26 p.m. Oct 12th

Psssst...Our first International Ale festival starts this Friday! Spread the word! #CraftBeer #alefest #festival

BzwobA6CYAA7-IH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Psssst...Our first International Ale festival starts this Friday! Spread the word! #CraftBeer #alefest #festival

BzwobA6CYAA7-IH.jpg

Had already planned a visit on the 18th :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Any word on who the 10 international brewers are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

jsa112 wrote: »

Possibly the collaboration beers that where brewed in the UK

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jsa112 wrote: »
    They're listed here. Unfortunately the all-important information about where each beer was brewed is missing.

Edit: via Seaneh, late of this parish -- the full details. And I was looking forward to that ' IJ one too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They would want to, they just don't have any experienced staff at the moment and it's working to their detriment.

Paying minimum wage they aren't gonna get experienced staff. They just need the staff not walking out and they are doing quite well. When they move into their cork premises I can guarantee they won't have enough staff so service won't be quick or good, but are people really going there for the service?

Yes, people are going for the service. Not the 'How was your day, Sir/Ma'am' nonsense, more the 'not having to fight your way to the bar, and spend ages trying to get the barperson's attention' type service.
    If people typically have to spend ten minutes at the bar to get a pint, a lot of them will go elsewhere.

BzwobA6CYAA7-IH.jpg

Nice to see the Côte d'Ivoire being represented! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Nice to see the Côte d'Ivoire being represented! :pac:

crappy photoshop.

Technically there are two american flags there too

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Wetherspoons second premises in Cork is supposedly going into the old Tsb building directly across from Barry's in Douglas, this will really shake things up as Douglas already has a thriving pub scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

BeerNut wrote: »
    They're listed here. Unfortunately the all-important information about where each beer was brewed is missing.

Edit: via Seaneh, late of this parish -- the full details. And I was looking forward to that ' IJ one too :(

This looks really interesting, must amble over some evening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No word on a Galway location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

No word on a Galway location?

Its Rathgar the old 108

oblivious wrote: »
    Its Rathgar the old 108

Ermmm, thats not Galway

• Advertisement

Paying minimum wage they aren't gonna get experienced staff. They just need the staff not walking out and they are doing quite well. When they move into their cork premises I can guarantee they won't have enough staff so service won't be quick or good, but are people really going there for the service?

I agree and I didn't expect great service, but I also don't expect to wait 20 minutes for a drink, but thats what happened

Advertisement