Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE1 in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 14-10-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I live in Newry

I got a new DVB-T2 tv and when I tuned it in for the first time I got RTE2, RTE News Now, 3e etc etc except for RTE1.

It appears as a blank entry on the EPG and when I navigate to it and select it I get one of the old RTE colour test cards !! So that means it is transmitting and I am picking it up?

Also I am not sure if I am picking the southern channels up from Saorview or Freeview. The channels have been placed at numbers 801 onwards in the EPG.

So how do I know where I am picking the signal up from and why is RTE1 showing a test card?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

You are picking up one Mux on channel 52
    Tune into channel 56 to get the 2nd Mux to get RTE1 HD and few other.
    See 'The Cush' listing here

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finbarromurchu

Sorry for being dumb. How do I do this on the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

What make is your TV?
    See the TV manual on how to do a manual tune for DTT or Digital tuning.
    some new TV have build in manual by pressing the help button on the TV or menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finbarromurchu

Hi, its a Hitachi.

OK. should that show up different channels like the 52 and the 56 you mention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Hi,

I live in Newry

I got a new DVB-T2 tv and when I tuned it in for the first time I got RTE2, RTE News Now, 3e etc etc except for RTE1.

It appears as a blank entry on the EPG and when I navigate to it and select it I get one of the old RTE colour test cards !! So that means it is transmitting and I am picking it up?

Also I am not sure if I am picking the southern channels up from Saorview or Freeview. The channels have been placed at numbers 801 onwards in the EPG.

So how do I know where I am picking the signal up from and why is RTE1 showing a test card?

The test card is not on RTE1.

3e & RTE News Now are not on the Freeview RNI_1 multiplex, you'll only get them on Saorview. The Freeview versions of TG4, RTE1 & RTE2 will appear at LCNs 51, 52 & 53. LCN = Logical Channel Number & is the no. allocated to each service in the EPG. The nos. 52 & 56 referred to by Souriau are UHF TV channel nos. & represent the radio frequency band occupied by each Saorview multiplex from the Clermont Carn transmitter.

It's likely that your Saorview reception is poor (do you know if you have a dedicated aerial for Saorview?), you have just about adequate reception for the 1st multiplex, & the other is below the necessary threshold. I should also ask if the aerial feed goes through a Sky box, DVD recorder etc., before it gets to the TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement