Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Out/pub grub

Options
  • 18-09-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

We are looking at heading out for the fathers birthday for a meal the weekend. We usually go to pubs(used to be places like village inn/grasshoper/an sibin) as we arent fussy or want to pay silly money(there is usually 4/5 of us)

Im looking at Jack O'Neills Bar & Bistro for somewhere new to try,prices look good and its basic bar food so everyone will get what they want

Would anyone recommend it or have any other place to try?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Twelfth lock is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think Jack O'Neils may have stopped doing food again. It's been a while since I are there, and while it was good the pub itself is devoid of atmosphere,.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Twelfth lock is nice

Food in there has gone downhill in recent months. 10/10 for location. Service, food, prices - I'd be happy to leave alone.

OP, the paddocks has really turned a corner under new management over the last year. Food is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Jack O'Neills still doing food, big banner outside it saying Food Now Being Served.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Dodzy: We tried the paddocks once and it was like eating in a crèche, I know it’s not all the pubs fault, but it’s very hard to enjoy food in that environment

January: I tried ringing them three times the morning we were to go to no answer, but thanks for the information, we‘ll try them the next time so

In the end we went to Bradys and found it lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

January wrote: »
    Jack O'Neills still doing food, big banner outside it saying Food Now Being Served.

I called in on Monday looking for grub and was told to try the hotel because they don't do it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Went to the Twelfth lock last night, hadn't been in years, had a great evening.
    Nice mix of people, good food at a good price.
    Popped into Brady's for a look as I hadn't been there in a long time also, 9pm, 4 people in the lounge/restaurant, not a good sign.
    The bar sounded like it was a stag party for skangers, won't be back.

septictank wrote: »
    Went to the Twelfth lock last night, hadn't been in years, had a great evening.
    Nice mix of people, good food at a good price.
    Popped into Brady's for a look as I hadn't been there in a long time also, 9pm, 4 people in the lounge/restaurant, not a good sign.
    The bar sounded like it was a stag party for skangers, won't be back.

I think you'll find most places will be empty at night nowadays with the price of having food/drinks at home compared to out somewhere. Unless there is some event or an occasion on.

Thus causing bars to accept any bookings they can("skangers" included),plus they could have been much less hassle than "posh" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

jeffk wrote: »
    I think you'll find most places will be empty at night nowadays with the price of having food/drinks at home compared to out somewhere. Unless there is some event or an occasion on.

Thus causing bars to accept any bookings they can("skangers" included),plus they could have been much less hassle than "posh" people.

The all Ireland hurling final, the Ryder cup, good chance people might be in the pub, it's not very inviting, loved it when it was Scotts.

septictank wrote: »
    The all Ireland hurling final, the Ryder cup, good chance people might be in the pub, it's not very inviting, loved it when it was Scotts.

Forgot about them being on.

The same here,its lovely for food,but wouldn't go drinking in it,very dark and lacking in atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cu Chullains in Ongar (formerly Kelly's) has a decent enough little menu for lunch. Got a hot joint sandwich and herself got a breakfast bagel. Was nice. Heard the chicken wings are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭robbie000

Might be a little far for some but La Bucca in Dunboyne does great food and they have good specials on during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Or La Bucca in Rathoath, it's a pretty good spot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Abrakebabra does a lovely taco chips with burger sauce, bacon bits and cheese.

A little tip - if you have a few pints on board it tastes just that little but better. ;)

Advertisement