Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

can i ask what people use these android boxes for?... is it mainly xmbc so you can watch iptv, movies?...
    ive played around with xmbc and from my limited experience a lot of the add ons seem to work one day and not the next...

I have a chromecast and im trying to convince myself that i dont need one :) sell them to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

Anyone have any experience of using Starbox mx??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

boardie100 wrote: »
    I have a chromecast and im trying to convince myself that i dont need one :) sell them to me!

I tried replacing a box with a Chromecast but it's too limited. A box will allow you to stream downloaded content you have stored on a NAS or PC, you can install and run apps like Netflix and other ;) movie streaming apps etc. Chromecast is OK for casting your PC screen or casting certain content apps from your Android phone but the Chromecast device doesn't play well if you are using a VPN with Netflix which is possible but fiddly.

I'm probably going to end up putting my Chromecast into the main TV I have to compliment my M8-h i.e. just to use it for casting my laptop if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Anyone have any experience of using Starbox mx??
    Is that the box I have linked above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi Big Nelly,
    I'd appreciate your thoughts on:-

1. What firmware should I have on both X8-H's? (Is there a new FW due in the next few days I should wait for?)

2. What version of XBMC should I install? I'm currently using official 13.2

3. What XBMC configuration wizard is best to use? vdubt25? TVaddons? Other??

Cheers.

A1. There is official firmware been released but no date, it was supposed to be last week but it was pulled and they put up a post saying it would be released when it will be ready so could be a while. On which firmware to use in meantime it is personal. If you go with official you will then have no problem according to Minix of doing an OTA(over the air) upgrade. Well that is what they say. If you go with unofficial like myself I think I will have to scrub the box but I dont mind that

A2. XBMC again is personal choice. I am just using the XBMC for Minix and it works perfect on everything. I think it is based on 13.1. I never go with the newest release of software on XBMC as usually it can be buggy but again personal choice. It is recommended with Minix to use there version of XBMC as it is changed to use the Minix hardware

A3. I did post a few pages ago about my build. Again this is personal choice. I use the XBMChub to start with and build from there. Putting on iStream for link into IMDB. Vdubt for live TV and Mashup as I have a paid service via it. Also good to find the latest HD films releases.

General point from above is with XBMC everything comes down to personal choice. My set up might not be for everyone but it suits me. I have done a lot of research and have tried multiple options. I have build XBMC, didn't like it and started again, majority of the time I would start with XBMChub as this includes Icefilms and my wife wants this. Then build on top of this. XBMChub puts a lot of plug in's but then some people will complain because they say the more plug in you have the slower XBMC can be.

I think my next build I will just manually add in everything and might not use the Hub wizard but will leave this for a weekend when I have a few hours free:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Big Nelly wrote: »
    A1. There is official firmware been released but no date, it was supposed to be last week but it was pulled and they put up a post saying it would be released when it will be ready so could be a while. On which firmware to use in meantime it is personal. If you go with official you will then have no problem according to Minix of doing an OTA(over the air) upgrade. Well that is what they say. If you go with unofficial like myself I think I will have to scrub the box but I dont mind that

A2. XBMC again is personal choice. I am just using the XBMC for Minix and it works perfect on everything. I think it is based on 13.1. I never go with the newest release of software on XBMC as usually it can be buggy but again personal choice. It is recommended with Minix to use there version of XBMC as it is changed to use the Minix hardware

A3. I did post a few pages ago about my build. Again this is personal choice. I use the XBMChub to start with and build from there. Putting on iStream for link into IMDB. Vdubt for live TV and Mashup as I have a paid service via it. Also good to find the latest HD films releases.

General point from above is with XBMC everything comes down to personal choice. My set up might not be for everyone but it suits me. I have done a lot of research and have tried multiple options. I have build XBMC, didn't like it and started again, majority of the time I would start with XBMChub as this includes Icefilms and my wife wants this. Then build on top of this. XBMChub puts a lot of plug in's but then some people will complain because they say the more plug in you have the slower XBMC can be.

I think my next build I will just manually add in everything and might not use the Hub wizard but will leave this for a weekend when I have a few hours free:P

Hi Big Nelly, would you a link or more info on XBMChub please..ie what it does, and what config needs to be done etc

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Invincible

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Big Nelly, would you a link or more info on XBMChub please..ie what it does, and what config needs to be done etc

Thanks

This is XBMC Hub, they changed the name.
    http://www.tvaddons.ag/config-wizard-kodi/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Cheers i'l go with dhl so

Don't order anything through dhl china because they're searching every single parcel going through customs because a load of counterfeit US dollars were found, I've a few packages I'm waiting on since the 12th September and they still haven't moved

Thanks a lot Big Nelly, that's great info. I really appreciate it.

I didn't think the Minix version of XBMX could handle auto updates of the PVR but I guess 13.1 is Gotham and not Frodo so auto updates should be fine. Do you know what tweaks Minix have done to stock XBMC in order to produce their own version of it?

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Big Nelly, that's great info. I really appreciate it.

I didn't think the Minix version of XBMX could handle auto updates of the PVR but I guess 13.1 is Gotham and not Frodo so auto updates should be fine. Do you know what tweaks Minix have done to stock XBMC in order to produce their own version of it?

I asked that question on Minix forum and yet to get an answer.....they have changed some of the code to suit the hardware according to what I can find.....what these changes are I have no idea yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Being nosy but what's the paid service through Mash up you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Would be grateful if someone could advise how to add some radio stations to XBMC

Thanks

What do you make of the box a linked few posts back, mx2 44stg on amazon

Never tried a dual core to be honest but I would think it will struggle with HD and possibly with some SD....as mentioned before I got a T-R42 shipped in for less than that box would cost, it was quad core.....I was lucky and didnt get hit with VAT but to be honest when you pick up the boxes there is nothing in them, mine was valued at $22 by customs:)

Probably better to check with people on here with experience of Dual core, my personal opinion is go with a quad core.

Quick look at the Q&A on that one and doesn't seem very positive from customers.....the 3 review look dodgy as wel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Invincible

iba wrote: »
    Would be grateful if someone could advise how to add some radio stations to XBMC

Thanks

There's an add on for "Tune in radio", this will have worldwide stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If that box has the correct motherboard (Gref18), it's an excellent box. One of the first (if not still 'the only') box(es) made purely with XBMC in mind. (You can install a Linux XBMC OS on it also).
    Dual core android PC with a Quad Core GPU.
    It's biggest issue would be that there are too many firmware's available. After the M6 (Gref02 i think) ended fairly quickly, there were many looking elsewhere for an alternative. None of the Quad-Cores have yet accomplished the same stability in Firmware.
    For my money The price + The stability (With the correct firmware) this box is one of the best out there.
    Available for €36 delivered and ~ €45 fast delivery.
    Including VAT it won't be more than €50.

With the next gen available now if you look, and the life expectancy of these (MX2) matching any of the current models available and mentioned in this thread, it makes a lot more sense to get a lower priced box right now.
    You won't be 'future proofing' any extra, with a current Amlogic S802 or S805.
    -H or otherwise.

However, if you want to play games or use applications that are graphically heavily dependant, then they may be worth the extra cash.
    4K streaming is becoming available from many companies this year, but will not be readily available over Irish broadband for quite some time. Even then, 2160p (UHD) plays in many formats without flaw on the MX2 and it is questionable whether or not Full 4K (DHCI 4K, WHXGA) play without flaw on the newer boxes.

When you start approaching €150 It is probably better to look at an upgradeable mini PC. (For Example) and a basic Remote, which can handle 4K and more.
    You can install XBMC, XBMCbuntu or OpenElec and any number of other Apps including Acestream etc..

Allyall wrote: »
    If that box has the correct motherboard (Gref18), it's an excellent box. One of the first (if not still 'the only') box(es) made purely with XBMC in mind. (You can install a Linux XBMC OS on it also).
    It's biggest issue would be that there are too many firmware's available. After the M6 (Gref02 i think) ended fairly quickly, there were many looking elsewhere for an alternative. None of the Quad-Cores have yet accomplished the same stability in Firmware.
    For my money The price + The stability (With the correct firmware) this box is one of the best out there.

With the next gen available now if you look, and the life expectancy of these (MX2) matching any of the current models available and mentioned in this thread, it makes a lot more sense to get a lower priced box right now.
    -H or otherwise.

However, if you want to play games or use applications that are graphically heavily dependant, then they may be worth the extra cash.
    4K streaming is becoming available from many companies this year, but will not be readily available over Irish broadband for quite some time. Even then, 2160p (UHD) plays in many formats without flaw on the MX2 and it is questionable whether or not Full 4K (DHCI 4K, WHXGA) play without flaw on the newer boxes.

When you start approaching €150 It is probably better to look at an upgradeable mini PC. (For Example) and a basic Remote, which can handle 4K and more.
    You can install XBMC, XBMCbuntu or OpenElec and any number of other Apps including Acestream etc..
    Thanks allyall, think I'll go with this box as my first entry into them,where would you recommended to buy it from and how would I know it has the correct motherboard

Allyall wrote: »

-H or otherwise.

Thanks allyall, think I'll go with this box as my first entry into them,where would you recommended to buy it from and how would I know it has the correct motherboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quick question on the M8 box ordered.

To install the Oman 13.1apk Will I will have to uninstall any version of XBMC on the box first?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Would Plex and then a few Android apps not be a better solution than all the fiddle ng around with add ons and what not in XBMC?

I haven't used XBMC in 6 months.......

Also, how come you can mention XBMC and ways of watching movies and sport but its auto ban time when you mention standalone apps doing the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

CinSoots wrote: »
    Also, how come you can mention XBMC and ways of watching movies and sport but its auto ban time when you mention standalone apps doing the same thing?

Because those apps are only for illegal streaming.
    XBMC can be used for your legal movies & tv shows and people aren't mentioning how to conduct the illegal streaming via XBMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Ok. So I'm a newcomer to XBMC and have been running it from the laptop for a while now but want to buy a box especially for it. I've spoken to a mate of mine who knows a bit about these boxes and he recommended that I get an MX3 as it's newer tech and will last a while. Having done a bit of online searching, I've found these three and am looking for peoples advice on which one is best:

h t t p : // w w w .aliexpress.com/store/product/MX3-4-2-2-Dual-Core-Android-TV-Box-XBMC-Midnight-MX-1G-RAM-8G-ROM/1154038_1680828986. h t m l (not sure about this one as it says MX3 but gives a pick of an MX2!)

h t t p : / / w w w .aliexpress.com/store/product/2014-New-MXIII-Android-TV-Box-Amlogic-S802-Quad-Core-XBMC-1G-8G-WiFi-4K-HDMI/1154038_1987427581. h t m l

A few things:
    - this is specifically for XBMC, I don't use apps or anything else
    - I need something that will cope with 1080p streams both for movies/tv and live sports streaming via paid add ons and p2p streams add on.
    - it will need need to work from wifi
    - sometimes, I will working from low speeds (3-4) so will need something that can cope with that.

I've never used anything like an android box before and, to be honest, a lot of the talk here is lost on me! I've never add any problems with the version I'm running at the moment (Gotham) or needed to do any updates (does so automatically) so I'm hoping that will continue. Also, something user friendly would be really good.

So then. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It should say it in the description. - This one shows the difference between fakes and refernces the board

BandMember wrote: »

First link is an expensive MX2
    Second link is an MXIII 1GB/8GB model S802 - but not a particularly high rated seller. Maybe a new seller.
    What is the difference between S802 and S802-H ?
    -The only difference is the support for Dolby DTS video decoding .
    S802 devices use XBMC or MX player S/W.to decoding the dolby and dts.
    S802-H support hardware decoding dolby and dts ,which means no matter which video player you use, it will always have sound.

Big Nelly seems to have been looking over a few of the newer models and their more compatible/better software/firmware setup etc.. When he comes online he may help you choose better.

BandMember wrote: »
    - it will need need to work from wifi
    - sometimes, I will working from low speeds (3-4) so will need something that can cope with that.

I wasted money on a cheaper box which had rubbish Wifi capability and it seems cheap WiFi components are one of the compromises made by some box manufacturers. (I'm not saying the boxes you're loking at are rubbish BTW, I'm not familiar with them!!!)

As a result I upgraded to a Minix X7 (now replaced by the X8 series) see http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEOSeries.htm and the difference was night and day. I'm so glad I did. The Minix boxes have serious WiFi antenna. I now have my old X7 three rooms away from my router and I constantly get 20mb download speed and 10mb upload which is tons for online streaming of sports and movies including Netflix etc.

I couldn't be happier from a WiFi point of view and subsequently invested in an X8-h which has equally good WiFi performance.

Ste- wrote: »
    Because those apps are only for illegal streaming.

No they're not. You can watch plenty of legal streams like BBC, RTE etc. on some of them.
    Ste- wrote: »
    XBMC can be used for your legal movies & tv shows and people aren't mentioning how to conduct the illegal streaming via XBMC.

Yes they are. There is constant mention of Mashup, Sportsdevil, 1Channel etc etc NONE of which are for streaming your legal movies or tv shows.

I'm just saying is all :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

CinSoots wrote: »
    No they're not. You can watch plenty of legal streams like BBC, RTE etc. on some of them.

Yes they are. There is constant mention of Mashup, Sportsdevil, 1Channel etc etc NONE of which are for streaming your legal movies or tv shows.

I'm just saying is all :)

Are you trying to get a very informative thread closed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement