Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yourtel - Landline Phone Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well, they sent my mum forms and everything, which she did not sign. We had to contact Eircom to say not to switch us over to another provider.
    Since then, we have been receiving calls every day, at the same time, from that company. Throughout the day, about 4 or 5 calls a day. Jerks. Been going on for 2 or 3 weeks now.
    Finally, my brother answered the call, and they started telling him that we are 'now signed up with yourtel' at which point my bro just lost it and started shouting 'no, we are not signed up with you, we never signed any forms' and 'stop harassing us'.
    They still call, pretty much every day, and we will have to talk to comreg again, since we opened a case with them.
    Been doing a bit of googling regarding them, and Luan Parle, the singer, posted on facebook about a similar harassment she got from yourtel, all the way back in January. If you google her name, and yourtel, you will see that they are repeatedly using the same tactics over, and over, again.
    Very ugly tactics, and company.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jesus comreg are useless if this crowd are still at it! Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cmp40

My mother in law got caught out in a similar fashion back in January. She was not with Eircom at the time, she was with another telephone provider I had never heard of before. She received a call at the end of June informing her she owed over 600 euro to this other company. She explained she had transferred over to yourtel in January, and the other company had no record of that transfer ever happening, surprise surprise. To cut a long story short, my husband wrote a stiff letter to yourtel telling them there would be no further payment to them as there was a breach of contract on yourtel's behalf, and that any further correspondence would be directed to comreg and our solicitor. However, she is still receiving bills, and yesterday received a letter saying the account had been terminated and the matter had been handed over to the debt collectors. I was just wondering if the other posters, who have been experiencing similar problems with yourtel, have received this kind of threatening letter? Do you think its just bully boy tactics or should we be worried?? Any advice will be gratefully received!

Okay, so this is a flipping joke at this point.

Bill comes in the post from Yourtel, even though we had signed no forms or documents with them or anything. Also, we had contacted eircom telling them to block anyone from transferring us to them.

Well, lo and behold, the feckers contacted eircom, and they transferred over our account to them...without any permission from the bill payer, and without a contract.

What the flying fig is going on here? Told eircom did not want to be transferred, and then they transfer us. Had to call eircom, again, and tell them that we never agreed to this transfer. Complained to comreg, but they can only do something if yourtel respond, and they have not.

The only difference between this time, and the 'talktalk' incident, was that this time we were not left without any phone service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

....Bill comes in the post from Yourtel, even though we had signed no forms or documents with them or anything. ......

They seem to use the verbal recorded agreement as a binding contract......I annoyed the guy who caled me by asking questions during that part of the call.
    Wasn't going to agree to anything over the phone.

Definitely ****ty of Eircom to disregard the instructions of the billpayer. You would think that they should be aware of another company trying to <SNIP> their customers.....or perhaps they don't even care?

• Advertisement

You see, we knew yourtel would try something like that. When they rang us to say 'we are signed with yourtel now' my brother told them straight out that we said nothing to anyone about transferring, and we signed nothing (they sent forms, but we never filled them in).

Now if they claim the verbal agreement, then they will suffer the same fate as TalkTalk did...ie, they won't receive a single cent from us. TalkTalk did the same thing about 6 or 7 years ago, without any signed contract. Sent a letter threatening legal action if a bill was not paid, but no bill was paid, and no legal action was done by them. Because they knew they did not have a legal leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

My Mother In law was duped into agreeing with these last week, They led her to believe that she was talking to Eircom.
    when she got the details in the post today and Realized that was not what she wanted, She rang and was told to just send back the package with a note to say no thanks. After reading the posts here I decided to ring Eircom and get them to block any request from Yourtel. The guy I got said that once Yourtel ( Or anyone it seems ) has Your account number, Eircom has no option but to honor the request. When I pointed out that I had answered security questions Just to talk to Him and I could Not cancel the request, But anyone who finds an old bill in the dustbin can switch Your account!! He said their was nothing he could do. ( apart from being very condescending and hanging up on me when I was not very happy with his response)

Its complete BullPlop, These r**p o*f merchants are conning OAP's and Eircom is hiding behind comreg, No common seance at all.
    I so glad I dumped Eircom Years ago, The service the offer is less than useless, and the Customer care is nonexistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

I have had loads of missed calls from this crowd, from an 01 67===== number,
    they eventually got me last week,
    and it went

them: hello mr Rameire
    me: hello,
    them: are you with eircom.
    me: no,
    them, O, our details have you with eircom.
    me: havnt been with them in donkeys years
    them: o ok then thanks for your time.

The key here is to say that you are not with eircom.
    simples.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tmoon

I have just finished sorting out a bill for an elderly cousin who has been quite ill over last few months and extremely stressed at constant letters and bills from the infamous Yourtel and their debt collectors. Had received a phone call about joining and though she felt she had not agreed they changed her service and additionally did not notify eircom. she ended up paying on the double. comreg were contacted but could provide little assistance. she relented and paid the bill to relieve stress caused by the situation which was quite intimidating for her. Would strongly suggest not having any dealings whatsoever with them, hang up the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Phone rang yesterday. I said "Hello?"

Them: "Hello is that Mrs (we'll just say Smith; I have a different surname from my partner)"
    Me; "Yes"
    Them: "Hello Mrs Smith,,I am calling from Yourtel, in association with Eircom and I would like to offer you a great deal."

He proceeds to tell me about this great offer, then I said: "How did you get my name?"
    Him: "We are calling from Yourtel and we work with Eircom."
    Me: "Yes, but how did you know my name was Mrs. Smith?"

Him: "I told you, I am associated with Eircom."
    I said: "Well if you were working with Eircom then you'd know that my name isn't Mrs.Smith".
    Him: "Yes it is, Mrs Smith."

Me: "My name is not Mrs Smith. Eircom know my name and you would too if you were being genuine."
    Him: "Mrs Smith we-"

Me: "I'm not Mrs Smith and I don't want you calling me again."
    Unbelievable.

• Advertisement

Tmoon wrote: »
    I have just finished sorting out a bill for an elderly cousin who has been quite ill over last few months and extremely stressed at constant letters and bills from the infamous Yourtel and their debt collectors. Had received a phone call about joining and though she felt she had not agreed they changed her service and additionally did not notify eircom. she ended up paying on the double. comreg were contacted but could provide little assistance. she relented and paid the bill to relieve stress caused by the situation which was quite intimidating for her. Would strongly suggest not having any dealings whatsoever with them, hang up the phone!

While they had us switched over (again, without our knowledge) quite a few people had trouble contacting us. One thought we were sick or on holiday. But we were here the whole week, and the phone never rang.
    Imagine if there had been an emergency, we would have bee the last to know.
    Disturbing what these guys do.

http://www.thejournal.ie/communications-eircom-landline-customers-watchdog-comreg-1665625-Sep2014/
    article on the journal
    Watchdog investigates Yourtel over Eircom complaints confusion

THE COMMISSION FOR Communications Regulation (ComReg) is investigating Yourtel over a substantial number of consumer complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tmoon

This investigation is a long time coming but between yourtel and their debt collectors quite a lot of people have suffered anxiety , distress and unnecessary financial confusion. Better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Horrible bunch of people. Time for them to shut up shop, "rebrand" (i.e. new name, numbers and home made website) and relaunch!

Wait till next wave hits us

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

My parents had a call from Yourtel today.

After talking to them for a while my mother passed the phone to me telling me it was Eircom.

He ended up admitting to me that he wasn't with Eircom but kept trying to confirm my parents information.

When I told him my parents calls were actually with Digiweb (even though the line rental was still with Eircom) he seemed rather confused saying he had never heard of Digiweb.

He said he would look into if they could provide their service to a Digiweb customer and would ring back.

Hopefully he won't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Mormegil wrote: »
    My parents had a call from Yourtel today.

After talking to them for a while my mother passed the phone to me telling me it was Eircom.

He ended up admitting to me that he wasn't with Eircom but kept trying to confirm my parents information.

When I told him my parents calls were actually with Digiweb (even though the line rental was still with Eircom) he seemed rather confused saying he had never heard of Digiweb.

He said he would look into if they could provide their service to a Digiweb customer and would ring back.

Hopefully he won't :)

Did you ask for his details? Did he actually say outright he was calling from eircom, or just imply it? If they're actually saying they're from eircom, it becomes fraud, and a matter for the authorities.

You should have told him to add you to their do not call list. On top of that, you should have just told him you're not interested in their service, and are not prepared to give them any details.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

seagull wrote: »
    Did you ask for his details? Did he actually say outright he was calling from eircom, or just imply it? If they're actually saying they're from eircom, it becomes fraud, and a matter for the authorities.......
    When I got the call the guy was quite clear that they were not Eircom but were "offering a special service" only available to Eircom customers.

I got rid of him by saying Eircom did not have permission to give my details to a 3rd party....that and interrupting him everytime he tried to get me to agree to the verbal contract on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what I cant believe is that people even get into a conversation with them about who they are or their affiliation to Eircom.

Put the handset down say nothing and be done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭door

Tenger wrote: »
    everytime he tried to get me to agree to the verbal contract on the phone.

If it's true and it seems to be true, I think it is outrageous that a verbal contract is legal. The first time I ever heard of it was from this crowd. They have every trick in the book ready.

door wrote: »
    If it's true and it seems to be true, I think it is outrageous that a verbal contract is legal. The first time I ever heard of it was from this crowd. They have every trick in the book ready.

verbal contracts are used over the phone all the time, especially by phone companies,
    they will of course have a recording of you accepting the new contract

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    verbal contracts are used over the phone all the time, especially by phone companies,
    they will of course have a recording of you accepting the new contract

Never heard of it until Yourtel and no matter who uses it, it is still outrageous that it is legal because you might be foolishly talked into agreeing to something on the spot without thinking it through. Like signing up to Yourtel, under the impression it is Eircom. I'm sure if the contract was posted and people saw all the facts in writing and no Eircom logo they would't have verbally signed a contract.

door wrote: »
    Never heard of it until Yourtel and no matter who uses it, it is still outrageous that it is legal because you might be foolishly talked into agreeing to something on the spot without thinking it through. Like signing up to Yourtel, under the impression it is Eircom. I'm sure if the contract was posted and people saw all the facts in writing and no Eircom logo they would't have verbally signed a contract.

And this is the reason why we have the sale of goods and supply of services act
    and the cooling off period of 14 days.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

Not much use when its over a month later and your first bill comes and you have no idea what the hell it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

D3PO wrote: »
    what I cant believe is that people even get into a conversation with them about who they are or their affiliation to Eircom.

Put the handset down say nothing and be done with it

I had a call from these guys and they mentioned Eircom in the first sentence.

iirc it was something like "... partnering with Eircom" followed by some crap about cheaper calls.

I didn't pick up on the scam instead I wanted to know if it meant signing up for a new 12 month contract and the answer was yes so I said I was thinking of getting rid of the land line anyway so no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tommar

My father received a bill from Yourtel yesterday. He doesn't remember signing up with them but has a vague recollection of a conversation with someone who he thought was from Eircom. He didn't read the letter he got from Yourtel as he thought it was junk so must have inadvertently signed up with them. He is in his 80s and a little deaf is he now stuck with them. They called him, he didn't call them.

Since one has not signed a single contract with them, then they can send as many bills as they wish, they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

One has to sign a contract with a company, even a recorded verbal contract will not hold up, as one can claim that they are not the person on the other end of the line.
    If your dad didn't sign a contract, and they don't have a signature, then no, you don't have to pay a bill.

We had this problem years ago with TalkTalk (another <SNIP> company, but they seemed to actually be a legit company, rather than some <SNIP>. As they had actual employees, offices and so on here in Ireland.) whereby they changed us over to them without signing a contract, then sent on a bill a month later. They sent a legal letter a month after the bill, but we never paid it because, again, there was no contract. They could threaten us with a team of solicitors, but again, since there was no contract, no signature, they hadn't a leg to stand on.
    TalkTalk caught a lot of folks for their brief time here. They shut up shop due to some atrocious negative publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Since one has not signed a single contract with them, then they can send as many bills as they wish, they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

One has to sign a contract with a company, even a recorded verbal contract will not hold up, as one can claim that they are not the person on the other end of the line.
    If your dad didn't sign a contract, and they don't have a signature, then no, you don't have to pay a bill.

We had this problem years ago with TalkTalk (another <SNIP> company, but they seemed to actually be a legit company, rather than some <SNIP>. As they had actual employees, offices and so on here in Ireland.) whereby they changed us over to them without signing a contract, then sent on a bill a month later. They sent a legal letter a month after the bill, but we never paid it because, again, there was no contract. They could threaten us with a team of solicitors, but again, since there was no contract, no signature, they hadn't a leg to stand on.
    TalkTalk caught a lot of folks for their brief time here. They shut up shop due to some atrocious negative publicity.

Its perfectly legal and binding to have a verbal contract "signed" over the phone there is even a comreg best practice document on the process.

However unless the companies signing you up have a recording of one of their reps asking you specifically if you want to sign up to a contract and of you saying yes then its not valid.

It seems unlikely in the cases posted here that yourtel have these recordings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

A contract, written or verbal, isn't legally valid if the signee doesn't know that they're agreeing to a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As Buzgrip deleted his original post, I have deleted all subsequent posts from that conversation.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

In layman's terms . . .how do these feckers make their money ?

Do they pay eircom anything ?

Advertisement