Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night 52: Hunt vs. Nelson

Options
  • 18-09-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭

main card starts around 8.30am saturday morn
    not on bt sports 2 till sat night at 9.30

i2pz43.jpg

main event should lack nothing in entertainment here, not sure I want to
    see big country go five though as he's barely able to go three
    which chin will be the first to go I guess?
    I'd fancy roy over three, not sure over five

think gomi will be outclassed by jury

sexyama was plain slow when last seen in the ufc, should be even slower now
    after being inactive since feb 12
    cant for the life of me see how hes even favourite to win this, really looking past sexy, japan or no japan

dont know tates opponent or most of the rest of the card

and
    good luck to bruce leroy also, was convinced he'd get maybe three fights
    after tuf and be released but he's done better than I could possibly have imagined

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I no nothing about weight cutting but losing 19 pounds by tomorrow has to be kinda impossible? What's the chances of it actually happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Hard to believe it's not being reported by the MMA media heavies either so I'd have me doubts about it being legit, weigh-in is in 9 hours time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Why does he let himself get up to such a high weight. If its true then he's losing near 80 pounds before the fight, ridiculous really

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

makes sense now
    was contemplating backing nelson at 11/8 and was wondering why he
    was cut everywhere
    mostly evens now

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »
    main event should lack nothing in entertainment here, not sure I want to
    see big country go five though as he's barely able to go three
    which chin will be the first to go I guess?
    I'd fancy roy over three, not sure over five

think gomi will be outclassed by jury

Decent Card hope the rumours aren't true bout Hunt.

Ya Jury should be too much for Gomi but Gomis pulled off some shocks in the past. 6/1 in most places to win by KO or Sub thats the only way he can win IMO
    sexyama was plain slow when last seen in the ufc, should be even slower now
    after being inactive since feb 12
    cant for the life of me see how hes even favourite to win this, really looking past sexy, japan or no japan

A split decision win is all Akiyama has to show in his 5 UFC fights fighters have been cut for less;he's rumored to get upwards of $40,000 for just show money too it's disgraceful, Amir clearly needs this more, hard to believe since beating CB Dollaway for the TUF7 crown CB will be main eventing a card soon and Amir possibly fighting here to cling on to his career.

Tates opponent is an intriguing one never seen her fight either but an unbeaten girl 16 wins(10 finishes) last fight I noticed was a decision against Sarah D'elalio who fought multiple times in Invicta also fought R.Rousey in Strikeforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I met Mark at the start of his camp, he was big, but I wouldn't have said he was anything near 340lbs. (A girl picked him up ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

He weighed in at 264 so id say that was BS about how much weight he had to lose, because he seemed grand. Roy came in at 260. Up nearly 20lbs from when he fought DC at 166 and up 5.5 from the Nog fight, taught Roy was slimming down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

ASOT wrote: »
    He weighed in at 264 so id say that was BS about how much weight he had to lose, because he seemed grand. Roy came in at 260. Up nearly 20lbs from when he fought DC at 166 and up 5.5 from the Nog fight, taught Roy was slimming down :(
    It wrecks my head the amount of assumptions people make about weight cutting. The unnecessary articles don't help either.

Some light weights regularly cut 20 lbs or more, that kind of a water cut for Hunt is very very doable. He clearly cut water as he had a rehydration drink at the weigh in.

He weighed almost 340 lbs when he started the campe and burned off 50 - 55 lbs during camp, leaving 20 to sweat out before weighing in.

Country is never gonna slim down lol. Wasn't he 250 vs DC though? He always fluctuates. There's pics of him our of camp SLIMMER than what he usually is!

ASOT wrote: »
    It wrecks my head the amount of assumptions people make about weight cutting. The unnecessary articles don't help either.

Some light weights regularly cut 20 lbs or more, that kind of a water cut for Hunt is very very doable. He clearly cut water as he had a rehydration drink at the weigh in.

He weighed almost 340 lbs when he started the campe and burned off 50 - 55 lbs during camp, leaving 20 to sweat out before weighing in.

Country is never gonna slim down lol. Wasn't he 250 vs DC though? He always fluctuates. There's pics of him our of camp SLIMMER than what he usually is!

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »

I agree. The articles that mention weight cutting are always the least informed.
    20lbs is an easy cut for a HW, but it's comes off over a few days, not the last 24 - or at least it should.

Gumbi wrote: »

I still think cutting 20lbs in 24hrs is a bit much, i would think what mellor says is right that it would come off in the days leading up to the fight but stranger things have happened.

I know he was never going to slim down but he was ALOT bigger than usual at the weigh ins, i taught he was closer to 240ish v DC but i could be way off. Comparing him then to now and he was way slimmer to. But thats Roy i suppose. I actually rewatched season 10 of TUF last week, Rampage really gave him **** throughout that series :pac:

It's totally unnecessary given that he doesn't have to lose muscle mass to be under 265, but it's not an unusually difficult cut by any means. The most competitive divisions pretty much by definition have the biggest weight cutters. FW to WW people routinely cut 15-30 pounds during fight week and put it all back on by fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

main card starts around 8.30am saturday morn
    not on bt sports 2 till sat night at 9.30

Saw her fight in Pancrase online a few times. I remember a few months ago telling a mate of mine to keep an eye on her as she'd be in the UFC soon. She's built up as a judo expert which could sell against Rousey if she got past Tate but to be honest I think Tate will beat her. Nakai has arms and legs the size of tree trunks which could lead to gassing out. She's definitely struggled later in the fights I've seen her in. I think Tate might be tossed around for a while but will ultimately finish her.

Would love to see Gomi get another win. He's won 3 out of his last 4 (the only loss was to another controversial Diego Sanchez decision) so a win over a rising star like Jury could start a last dash in his career. Jury will keep to a similar gameplan to his bout with Sanchez and not get caught in a stand and bang trade off.

p to the e wrote: »
    Nakai has arms and legs the size of tree trunks which could lead to gassing out.
    Ya noticed that in the weigh-in alright her record is one thing but we'll see if she can compete with the likes of Tate here.

Nakai is huge, looking forward to that fight.

Just noticed Richie Walsh opponent, Kiichi Kunimoto, fights out of Kobra Kai. That's gas. He should come out in the 3rd and go for a crane kick.

Well that was disappointing dunno what Tates gameplan was, seemed like most of the fight she was happy to stay in range and leave Nakai attempt takedowns till the cows came home, Nakai on the otherhand showed herself more or less to be one dimensional luckily Tate got the decision unlike Walsh who was robbed in the previous fight.

Richie was robbed. He list the third but he won the first two easily, rd 1 was 10-8 imo

Haha Akiyama hoping to fight Wanderlei Silva next....somebody tell him the news

• Advertisement

Fair play to Jury a top 15 guy certainly needed next to put him in contention.

Boom!!! Fair play Hunt, dunno why he only wants rematches to finish his contract and not go on a title run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

MARK F**KIN HUNT!

Ah boy the Hunt!!

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

my god
    that is all

Managed to wake up in time and watch the main card, Nelson went to sleep that was some KO.

Really impressed with Jury, Liked his Sanchez fight but i think that win today will get him the opponent he needs to test himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

I know Goldberg doesn't always get his facts straight but twice he mentioned that this was the first time Nelson was KO'd. Mr. Arlovski might have something to say about that.

He's probably way ahead of Akiyama in the rankings but would be interested in seeing a bout with Lombard. Two high level judoka could be grapple-tastic.

Hunt looked the leanest I've seen him in a while and had to cut weight to make the limit whilst Nelson looked even more "robust" than usual and possibly gained weight to get to 260.

Hunt also stated in the presser he had to cut maybe 9 pounds day before weigh in and reports saying otherwise were bull, expected really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Hunt really has the ability to ko anyone, and his chin is legendary.

I'll always wonder in my mind how good he could have been at LHW or even Middle if he was in shape. He'd have the power to starch any of them.

Does carrying all that extra weight help with ones ability to take a punch? I dunno, like a shock absorber or something??

Advertisement