Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rooy wrote: »
    On the original Argos Asus of Bargin Alert , was just taking a look and noticed on the website "Current selling price valid until 15/09/2014 "
    So there is a risk it may increase in price tomorrow if anyone was thinking of purchasing.

It's out of stock in all the limerick stores

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Their customer service is **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,056 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thats probably the Beta release we all receive for testing on. Doesn't mean its stable (though its probably pretty ok, as the kernel is very similar to W7/W8.

Aye. The first Beta of Windows 8 was perfectly stable and I have no doubt Microsoft is making sure this one is too :)

I'll tell ya in 2 weeks time :D

in my experience Asus make very good laptops, even at the cheaper end. up there with Sony, Toshiba and Lenovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

bought this today ,thanks op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

glasso wrote: »
    in my experience Asus make very good laptops, even at the cheaper end. up there with Sony, Toshiba and Lenovo.

Sony dont make any laptops any more. Anything you see still on sale is old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

glasso wrote: »

Yeah. I've bought 3 Asus laptops for myself and family members in the last year, all of them at the budget end of the market and they've all performed flawlessly. two of them are about 18 months old and haven't given any trouble (apart from user issues: virus/malware/dog eating power lead etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Rooy wrote: »
    On the original Argos Asus of Bargin Alert , was just taking a look and noticed on the website "Current selling price valid until 15/09/2014 "
    So there is a risk it may increase in price tomorrow if anyone was thinking of purchasing.

Price €499 now

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Reserved one in Galway last night so hopefully they will honour the sale price when I collect on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

I'm having problems with the Toshiba now after just 3 days... yesterday the cursor just froze up & stopped working, it worked for a few minutes after each restart. .. long enough for me to check drivers etc then freeze again... restart...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    eventually I managed to uninstall & reinstall the driver... got it working again but the scroll doesn't work now!!
    also the blue tooth doesn't seem to be working either. ...
    I don't know what to do. .. if I bring it back & get another one will I just end up with the same problems. .. I was going to get the Acer for a tenner extea but the price has gobe up now so no chance! !
    any advice plse?? change for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

iPink wrote: »
    I'm having problems with the Toshiba now after just 3 days... yesterday the cursor just froze up & stopped working, it worked for a few minutes after each restart. .. long enough for me to check drivers etc then freeze again... restart...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    eventually I managed to uninstall & reinstall the driver... got it working again but the scroll doesn't work now!!
    also the blue tooth doesn't seem to be working either. ...
    I don't know what to do. .. if I bring it back & get another one will I just end up with the same problems. .. I was going to get the Acer for a tenner extea but the price has gobe up now so no chance! !
    any advice plse?? change for

Honestly?

Refund. Or kill it with fire. I know people have different experiences and some have more than likely had a wonderful time with Toshiba, but its one of those brands that I will never buy again. I've been burned too many times.

That's why ASUS piqued my interest. They seem to be known for making good quality laptops, regardless of the price. My old boss had an amazing ASUS ultrabook and the build quality was the best I've ever seen. And you don't hear many horror stories about ASUS (though, naturally, I'm sure there's lots).

If you're not too attached to your Toshiba, I'd advise returning it and getting something that isn't a Toshiba

yeah.... thanks. ... unfortunately there isn't really anything else in my price range other than toshiba... I might give another one a go & see what happens...

my mum has a toshiba for a few years now and has never had a problem with it other than the usual stuff of running a bit slow due to too much stuff on it lol

the only other alternatives in my price range are the small screen touchscreens... not sure about them & already have a galaxy tab with a 10.1 sceeen...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

http://m.dabs.ie/products/asus-x551ca-sx024h-i3-3217u-4gb-500gb-dvdrw-15-6--win8-92CH.html?q=asus&src=16#specifications

Not sure what the difference is from the Argos 1, them seem exactly the same and its been on dabs at that price for a while.

We got an Asus k52n for €360 from dabs 3 years ago and the only problem we had was the battery died 6 months ago. Their really sturdy and fairly quite too. Topped it up to 8gb ram a while ago for Photoshop and the likes and it handles everything we throw at it without issue.

just checked my receipt from argos... it says 'exempt from 30 day guarantee on it'... anyone know what that means?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Most items in Argos can be brought back within 30 days if you change your mind - some items are excluded, like laptops.

This doesn't mean you can't bring it back if there's something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Kim Doh wrote: »
    At Argos : Asus F-Series F551CA Core i3 15.6 Inch 4GB 500GB Laptop - €320
    £306 at Amazon
    Product Code : 292/3147 - Plenty of Stock in most areas

yep now 499. weight is 4kg according to spec on website!!!!

gipi wrote:
    This doesn't mean you can't bring it back if there's something wrong with it.

gipi wrote:
    Most items in Argos can be brought back within 30 days if you change your mind - some items are excluded, like laptops.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

http://m.ebuyer.com/638622

This is on ebuyer I *think* they deliver to northern Ireland now, as they have a price up. Comes to about 320 Euro with the cash back and delivery.

Laptop itself is

300 pound.. with 50 cash back from Lenovo.

Processor
    Intel® Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz Haswell
    2 Cores
    3MB cache
    Memory
    4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    Expandable to 16GB
    Hard Drive
    500GB SATA
    Optical Drive
    DVD Writer
    Software
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64bit
    Display
    15.6" Anti-Glare display
    Resolution: 1366 x 768
    Graphics
    Intel HD Graphics
    Audio
    Stereo Speakers with Dolby Advanced Audio certification
    Networking
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Wifi: 802.11 b/g/n
    Power Supply
    Up to 6 hours Battery
    Dimensions
    Width 380 mm
    Depth 262 mm
    Height 24.7 mm
    Weight 2.15 kg
    Interfaces
    2 x USB 3.0
    1 x USB 2.0
    4-in-1 card reader (SD, SDHC, SDXC, MMC)
    HDMI
    RJ45
    Audio Combo Jack
    Warranty / Miscellaneous
    1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
    Webcam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hmmm. I have one of these reserved in Argos from when this was posted up but the Argos almost 1.5hrs drive from me and it will be a right waste of time if they won't honour the price. What do you think boardsies?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

loopymum wrote: »
    Hmmm. I have one of these reserved in Argos from when this was posted up but the Argos almost 1.5hrs drive from me and it will be a right waste of time if they won't honour the price. What do you think boardsies?

Print the confirmation e-mail you received- and show it to them when you're collecting, and 99 times out of a 100 they will honor it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Theyll honour it ! Just print out the confirmation as The_Conductor said!

Ive done it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Make sure you bring the email confirmation of the discounted price. A family member tried to pick up mine with just the reservation number and they didn't honour it. They need proof I got it for €319.99 as their sale price wasn't that low according to themselves. Mentioned €100 off instead of €180. Will like to see their face once I head in with the email. This was in Galway by the way. Some of the others my be different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Asus F-Series F551CA Core i3 15.6 Inch 4GB 500GB Laptop.... reduced to 309.99 again in Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Marie212 wrote: »
    Asus F-Series F551CA Core i3 15.6 Inch 4GB 500GB Laptop.... reduced to 309.99 again in Argos

Cheers Marie, nabbed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Marie212 wrote: »

For those of you who have bought one of these, are they good? I'm looking for a new laptop, my head is wrecked with researching. When I find one I think I'll buy the reviews are not the best. Unfortunately my budget is low, so if this is a good laptop then I'll buy it at that price.

Nono Toure wrote: »
    For those of you who have bought one of these, are they good? I'm looking for a new laptop, my head is wrecked with researching. When I find one I think I'll buy the reviews are not the best. Unfortunately my budget is low, so if this is a good laptop then I'll buy it at that price.

It really depends on what you need the laptop to do.
    This is a very good, decent, budget laptop.
    You're not going to play games on it though- and they have used some cheaper components to keep costs down- for example, its single band 2.4Ghz wireless- which is perfectly fine for most people.

At this price point- there is no competitor product available in bricks-and-mortar shops in Ireland.

It really depends on what you need the laptop to do.
    This is a very good, decent, budget laptop.
    You're not going to play games on it though- and they have used some cheaper components to keep costs down- for example, its single band 2.4Ghz wireless- which is perfectly fine for most people.

At this price point- there is no competitor product available in bricks-and-mortar shops in Ireland.

Thanks for that.

I'll only be using it for internet, email, YouTube and Skype the odd time. I won't be gaming. My current laptop is an Acer which I've had for over 5 years.

Is this one on Amazon better? Dam, can't post a link. It's an Asus X551MA-SX018H

I can get it for €300 in a brick & mortar shop. Thanks

Nono Toure wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I'll only be using it for internet, email, YouTube and Skype the odd time. I won't be gaming. My current laptop is an Acer which I've had for over 5 years.

Is this one on Amazon better? Dam, can't post a link. It's an Asus X551MA-SX018H

I can get it for €300 in a brick & mortar shop. Thanks

Depends on which processor is in it.
    The Argos one is a Core i3 Haswell.
    If this is an Atom or a Celeron- despite it being 'newer' it won't have the same processing power as the Argos one.

At this price point- you're looking at the processor pretty much in isolation of everything else (as there is bog all difference in the other components)

• Advertisement

Depends on which processor is in it.
    The Argos one is a Core i3 Haswell.
    If this is an Atom or a Celeron- despite it being 'newer' it won't have the same processing power as the Argos one.

At this price point- you're looking at the processor pretty much in isolation of everything else (as there is bog all difference in the other components)

Thanks, it's a Celeron N2815 which runs at 1.5GHz.

So do you reckon the one in Argos as mentioned by the OP is the one I should buy for its price and for what I need in terms of basic use?

Advertisement