Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

12345! would I be right in thinking you didn't lock the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

12345! wrote: »
    Cube Peloton, white with black and red markings,
    Blue sign affixed to handle bars from Ring of Kerry charity cycle,

Hey Sinead, probably nothing but I noticed a girl this morning with a charity cycle number still attached to her handlebars. Bike didn't look as though it fitted her.
    99% probably her own bike, but will pm you with details of time/ location anyway, it was at a busy junction so lots of cameras. No harm checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 12345!

italodisco wrote: »
    12345! would I be right in thinking you didn't lock the bike
    Yes unfortunately - left resting against window of Four Star. Went in (bike in eyesight as could see it through door) ordered pizza, went out and stood by my bike, pizza guy waived at me to say it was ready, went in, got it, went out and bike was gone ! Literally not more than 60 seconds - Most expensive pizza ever !

Someone must have been watching me I am guessing !

please folks regardless of how quiet it is or empty DO NOT leave your bike unlocked even for a second .

12345! if you could put up a pic that would be great. I live near north strand , most of the bikes 'liberated' in Fairview end up in eastwall or northstrand /summerhill direction so if you post a pic I might spot the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4 12345!

Thanks a mill - as I am classed as a new user, I cannot post pictures or links, but if you Google Cube Peloton Pro white and red an image comes up which is similar.

Alternatively, if you PM'd me your personal email address I could flick on a picture (realise you would be going above and beyond the calling of Boards.ie!).

I know there is a Merchants Market in East Wall but have never been - could that be worth going too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

You should have left the quick releases open or knocked the chain off if you were doing that! Sorry to hear about the bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

iamtony wrote: »
    Sorry to hear mate a picture would be a help.

A little off topic but where are all these stolen bikes going? I'd doubt anyone actually into cycling would buy a stolen bike as they would likely be seen on it or just wouldn't be into buying stolen goods period,and it's not like you see kids riding around on €1000 bikes in the worse off areas are they leaving the country I wonder?

Sorry to learn. Cable locks useless - need the hardened steel U lock. Even then, these can be cut with an angle grinder. Would deter the opportunist thief but not the pro.

IMO organised bike thefts are either to order or for export to Eastern Europe. Same as top qualith skis from European ski resorts and marine outboard engines from boat yards here and the UK. To prove the point, outboards with inbuilt GPS tracking have been recorded enroute and in Russia..once there, sold on easily enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Merged with stolen bikes thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

12345! wrote: »
    Thanks a mill - as I am classed as a new user, I cannot post pictures or links, but if you Google Cube Peloton Pro white and red an image comes up which is similar.

Thanks for the PM

321535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sallanches

hi,
    my bike was taken on monday 8th september in granby lane, dublin 1 at 12:20pm. 2 lads jumped the wall into our office complex and cycled away with it.

unusal brand. bike imported from germany 10 years ago
    brand: checker pig (image of pig at the front)
    type: hybrid, ladies (with pannier rack)
    handlebar: straight with silver bar end extensions, mountain bike grips
    colour: dark green
    gears: 24 speed
    size: 700c wheels, quick release

when taken had a purple compass bell, attachment for ortlieb handle bar bag as well as fitting for light on the handle bar.
    gel saddle (leaking) covered with green saddle cover, quick release hence lock attaching it to frame
    kryptonite U lock attached to pannier rack (i know would have done a better job locking it).

very sad to see it gone after 11 years and 1000s of miles.

if any news a pm would be much appreciated. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

12 element wrote: »
    You should have left the quick releases open or knocked the chain off if you were doing that! Sorry to hear about the bike though.

Sorry to hear your bike is gone. I would recommend doing this to anyone. When on a spin with friends, if we stop for a coffee, and leave the bikes in sight, we do both of these things to stop someone cycling off, or lifting the bikes, as the wheels fall off. Also, if you do have a helmet, use it as a sort of lock. It won't last more than a second, but it could be that second that is all it takes to shout out at a fecker.

I think Global Cycling Network has a youtube video up about this very thing, but I am too new to post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    IMO organised bike thefts are either to order or for export to Eastern Europe. Same as top qualith skis from European ski resorts and marine outboard engines from boat yards here and the UK. To prove the point, outboards with inbuilt GPS tracking have been recorded enroute and in Russia..once there, sold on easily enough.

Would customs not look at a manifest of a container going out, and if it is bikes, take a random sample, and run the serial numbers by the Garda? They are not exactly cycling them to eastern Europe, are they???

Has anyone heard if the Integratedtrackers stuff has been successful in returning a stolen bike, or do the Guards just say if it's gone it's gone?? My last bike that was stolen was a BMX bought for me at Christmas when I was 5, so I am about 30 years over due another one #terrifiedeverytimeIleavemybike .....

customs do random checks so it's hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I work in the transport industry and never has customs stopped or inspected trucks or airline cargo leaving the country, Normally they inspect the inbound trucks & containers.
    It be a year next week since my bike went for a hop the replacement bike I got stays in the house, Even though I done a job on the shed reinforced the door with bolts and added an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sheer genius - love the very early mobile phone and the classic 80s shiny tracksuit in the background - from 1989, based on the REM gig poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's depressing reading this thread after being away in Europe for a few weeks. I was in Germany and bikes are barely locked, a cursory lock at most and they're not nicked. People just get on with things and respect others property.
    The level of theft in Dublin is astonishing and I'd be amazed if there wasn't some organised/to order element to it. Surely if that is the case the Gardai could mount a sting operation easy enough?
    Are the Guards arsed though? Really?
    I was going to invest in a good bike through the bike to work scheme but I won't because I reckon there's a pretty good chance it will be nicked.
    I'll stick to the rickety old thing I have. It'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

It's depressing reading this thread after being away in Europe for a few weeks. I was in Germany and bikes are barely locked, a cursory lock at most and they're not nicked. People just get on with things and respect others property.
    The level of theft in Dublin is astonishing and I'd be amazed if there wasn't some organised/to order element to it. Surely if that is the case the Gardai could mount a sting operation easy enough?
    Are the Guards arsed though? Really?
    I was going to invest in a good bike through the bike to work scheme but I won't because I reckon there's a pretty good chance it will be nicked.

Totally agree
    I am just after having my back wheel stolen off my bike which was locked about 1 metre from my front door between 1 and 2.30 today
    That wasn't chance they had obviously been watching it.
    This is a quite road but open and the front window of my house is only about 1 metre to where the railing which the bike was locked to with two locks
    What kind of people are out there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i work with a bunch of germans, and life isn't so crime free over there as some people like to think. one friend was mugged getting out of her car - a few punches thrown at her when she was half in/half out of the car, and her bag snatched. i seem to hear more stories of crime from them (in dusseldorf) than i do from my irish colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

i work with a bunch of germans, and life isn't so crime free over there as some people like to think. one friend was mugged getting out of her car - a few punches thrown at her when she was half in/half out of the car, and her bag snatched. i seem to hear more stories of crime from them (in dusseldorf) than i do from my irish colleagues.

Well, I was in Munich which I suppose is more affluent and probably has less crime.
    I'm sure there are regional variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I thought like that for years till I realised the only person suffering was me. So I got a btw scheme bike and,touch wood, 2 years and 5 months later it's still okay... My advice? Don't deny yourself the pleasure of a good and comfortably fitting bike. Life's too short...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Robbie1874

Hi All,
    Had my B-Twin bike stolen today from smurfit college in Blackrock.
    Gutted as ive only had it a couple of days!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Can you post a pic or link/pic of the model from the Decathalon website?

Unfortunately I cant post the link or upload a picture of the bike because im a new user :/

If you look up "White B-Twin bike" it should appear.

It is a road bike with black handle bars with red tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Yes thats exactly what it looks like, its just a different model.

If anyone spots it around Blackrock or anywhere else please get in touch.

I have never seen any B-Twin bikes before so hopefully because its not a well known make it may be easily spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Sorry to hear about your loss OP.

Had to visit Smurfitt College earlier this year. Not a single bike rack to be seen, but acres of car parking. It was very clear they don't really see awful scruffy cyclist types as their preferred clientele. Undermined all of the positive things with that attitude.

Hi all,

i had my B-twin bike stolen today from smurfit college in Blackrock.

It is a new white bike, black handle bars with red tips.

I cannot post a picture of it as i am a new user.

If you look up"White B-Twin bike" you should be able to see a picture of it

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Saw a bike stolen at lunch time down Grand Canal Dock

Scobe teen in the trademark grey tracksuit bottom and hoodie has a look around, whips the bolt cutter out of his tracksuit, and clips the cable lock - pops away on the bike without a bother in the world, it happened so fast, I couldn't believe what I was seeing - this is in public view with plenty of people walking around

I was half tempted to knock him off his bike as he pedalled past me, but didn't fancy getting the bolt cutters in the face, or more likely I'd end up in court for injuring him for knocking him off the bike

Zero Garda presence on our streets is the problem, just don't see them on the beat since the recession began.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭fiacha

Andalucia wrote: »

Scobe teen in the trademark grey tracksuit bottom and hoodie has a look around, whips the bolt cutter out of his tracksuit, and clips the cable lock - pops away on the bike without a bother in the world, it happened so fast, I couldn't believe what I was seeing - this is in public view with plenty of people walking around

I was half tempted to knock him off his bike as he pedalled past me, but didn't fancy getting the bolt cutters in the face, or more likely I'd end up in court for injuring him for knocking him off the bike

Zero Garda presence on our streets is the problem, just don't see them on the beat since the recession began.

What did the Gardai say when you reported it ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Andalucia wrote: »

Did you see the make, model and colour?

Advertisement