Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Wifi in Trinity Hall?

Options
  • 10-09-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

OK so I'm moving to Trinity Hall on Friday but recently heard there's only ethernet connection. My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. Does this mean I'll have to buy a modem or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm not 100% sure but i think they finally installed wifi over this summer.

If not, you'll just need an ethernet cable for your wired connection

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

I'm not 100% sure but i think they finally installed wifi over this summer.

If not, you'll just need an ethernet cable for your wired connection

What I'm saying is I can't connect an ethernet cable to my laptop as it doesn't have the ethernet port (the socket for plugging in the cable).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Cheap online wifi router so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Wow, they're making laptops without ethernet ports now?... god save us all.

Obviously the lack of wifi in trinity hall has nothing to do with the observable effects of wifi on living organisms including potentially carcinogenic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just buy a cheap wifi router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Obviously the lack of wifi in trinity hall has nothing to do with the observable effects of wifi on living organisms including potentially carcinogenic ones.

link to the carcinogenic impacts of WiFi please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

amen wrote: »
    link to the carcinogenic impacts of WiFi please

If it matters to you find it yourself, it's not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Contact http://isservices.tcd.ie/ to find out if wifi is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

They have been making them without them for years now. Most Ultrabooks and smaller laptops dont have them.

To the OP, you have 2 options. The first is to buy a USB to eithernet adapter. Basically it plugs into your USB port and has an eithernet port ont he otehr side. It would be your cheapest option as they are only a few euro. If you have USB3 then get a USB3 adaptor as you will get faster speeds (asuming the actual network is fast enough). If you are short on USB ports you can even get ones that act as both a USB hub and have the eithernet port.

The second option is to use an access point (AP) and connect it up to the eithernet. Country to what has been said above you do not need a router but most routers have APs built into them and are capable of having teh routing function turned off. Just be sure you one can.

The AP option is the best if you want specifically Wi/Fi. If you dont then I woudl go witht eh adapter. Also just check if there are any terms or use for the Trinity network as some places might specifically state that you cannot add additional hardware such as APs. I have no idea what it is like in Trinity Halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Yes it makes laptops light and slimmer by getting rid of lots of ports. Not that I agree with getting rid of them it's just that's how ultrabooks are made now.
    notmymark wrote: »
    They have been making them without them for years now. Most Ultrabooks and smaller laptops dont have them.

To the OP, you have 2 options. The first is to buy a USB to eithernet adapter. Basically it plugs into your USB port and has an eithernet port ont he otehr side. It would be your cheapest option as they are only a few euro. If you have USB3 then get a USB3 adaptor as you will get faster speeds (asuming the actual network is fast enough). If you are short on USB ports you can even get ones that act as both a USB hub and have the eithernet port.

The second option is to use an access point (AP) and connect it up to the eithernet. Country to what has been said above you do not need a router but most routers have APs built into them and are capable of having teh routing function turned off. Just be sure you one can.

The AP option is the best if you want specifically Wi/Fi. If you dont then I woudl go witht eh adapter. Also just check if there are any terms or use for the Trinity network as some places might specifically state that you cannot add additional hardware such as APs. I have no idea what it is like in Trinity Halls.

Yeah I think I'll get a USB to ethernet adapter as my laptop has a Wifi hotspot so I can connect my phone using that then too. It has USB 3 so that should give fast enough internet then. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

If it matters to you find it yourself, it's not hard.

http://wifiinschools.ca/that-group-2b-carcinogen-label/

Nope, you're still retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

No personal attacks.

If you have any helpful suggestions for the OP post away, if you want to discuss the health risks of wifi take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Portomarino

I think the wi-fi depends on where you're at, I think Cunningham had it. Other temporary options are the reception lobby with the sofas and local establishments in the general Rathmines area where you can get a coffee and scrounge for wi-fi.
    I'd like to add that depending on your house your mobile phone connection will also vary - at times it can be nonexistent as was the case during my stay in House 81.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Yeah Only Cunningham had it when I was there.

Also lol @ carcinogenic impacts of WiFi.
    Don't forget your tinfoil hat .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

There is no wifi currently in any of the newer buildings but there is plans to install wi-fi soonish as testing has already been carried out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 knjmooney

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Just buy a cheap wifi router

Do you really think it'll be that simple? We're having trouble using our laptops as routers in Goldsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

knjmooney wrote: »
    Do you really think it'll be that simple? We're having trouble using our laptops as routers in Goldsmith.

It is that easy

Advertisement