Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Imelda May Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Very Beatles. I love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Her voice is gone.
    Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Poor Christy is as flat as a pancake....

A mountain of hairspray has been used on that show....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This band Hudson Taylor is a local band for me. They are from Blackrock in Co.Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

A mountain of hairspray has been used on that show....

You wouldn't want to light a match in the studio, that's for sure.

I like these guys. This is what Ireland and Irish musicians are great at. Just being talented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Skid X wrote: »
    Derek Ryan from Co.Carlow

He used to be in D-Side, then he realised there was money in Country Music

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/on-the-road-with-derek-ryan-20140910-10ccq0.html

'Then he realised the money was in country music'

That'rt not true.

I discovered Derek Ryan and his music last year and was suprised to learn that he was in a boyband. I don't remember the band.

Anyways, from reading up on his history, the band fell to sh1t back around 2006. After that he spent a few years gigging solo in London. He came back to Ireland in 2009. He grew up with country music in house and he must have a had a love for that and he branched into country music.

They're an unlikely pair of brothers. Yer man on the left looks like he stepped out of Bros and yer man on the right wouldn't be out of place in a folk bar in Greenwich Village in the 1960's.

Here's Derek back again. :)

• Advertisement

They're an unlikely pair of brothers. Yer man on the left looks like he stepped out of Bros and yer man on the right wouldn't be out of place in a folk bar in Greenwich Village in the 1960's.

I know. Mad.

They look like nice lads...

I wish them well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

One of them could be a Vanilla Ice Tribute Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Deminiman

Its a pity when a show comes on to celebrate the musical talent we have in this country all people like to do is b**ch and moan. If this show didn't exist the people would be crying out for it. When its seen again in 20 years time on 'Reeling in the years' the same people will be asking why it ever ended.

Deminiman wrote: »
    Its a pity when a show comes on to celebrate the musical talent we have in this country all people like to do is b**ch and moan. If this show didn't exist the people would be crying out for it. When its seen again in 20 years time on 'Reeling in the years' the same people will be asking why it ever ended.

You would love this place on a Friday Night, so you would.

It's a pity he does mainly dancehalls. I don't know how to jive.

Nah, it'll never be like "Sunday Night at the Olympia". Every night when I'm in bed I ask myself why it ever ended......

Heyyyy!!!!!!!!

:mad:

amdublin wrote: »
    I like these guys. This is what Ireland and Irish musicians are great at. Just being talented.
    amdublin wrote: »
    Very Beatles. I love it :)

One of them could be a Vanilla Ice Tribute Act.

Does that mean they actually sing or pretend not to sing??.....:confused:

• Advertisement

Does that mean they actually sing or pretend not to sing??.....:confused:

Milli Vanilli?

Nah, it'll never be like "Sunday Night at the Olympia". Every night when I'm in bed I ask myself why it ever ended......

Or the "Calor Housewife of the year" half time slot in the JP Theater??....

Milli Vanilli?

In one Harry....:D:D:D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'll be disgusted if RTE doesn't run an Imelda May Show Hootenanny rip-off on New Year's Eve. It would have to be a pre-record though Their live New Year's Eve specials are always heinously bad, and comprise mainly of the utter dregs of Irish television, and the occasional 'big name' who would rather be anywhere else. If they can manage to get a load of great people in one place at the same time for a few hours, and have a perfectly-timed fake countdown at midnight, just like Jools, it would be brilliant.

ITV started a new series of Sunday Night at the Palladium tonight.

It surely won't be long belong RTE will have revivals of Where in The World, Glenroe and Sunday Night at the Olympia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭ratracer

If Vanessa Imelda May was from anywhere but Dublin, would this even be a show? Don't get me wrong, I like her as a musical artiste, but as a presenter? Just..NO!! This show smacks of desperation by RTE.....again.

Producer: We need a new show, quick
    Researcher: People seem to love Imelda....
    Producer: Sold!! Get her on, it's only the TV licence money.

• Advertisement

There's an extra bit on the RTE Player ..

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10323630/

RayM wrote: »
    I'll be disgusted if RTE doesn't run an Imelda May Show Hootenanny rip-off on New Year's Eve. It would have to be a pre-record though Their live New Year's Eve specials are always heinously bad, and comprise mainly of the utter dregs of Irish television, and the occasional 'big name' who would rather be anywhere else. If they can manage to get a load of great people in one place at the same time for a few hours, and have a perfectly-timed fake countdown at midnight, just like Jools, it would be brilliant.

We can get Joe on like last year to talk about the recession at 3 minutes to 12....

I LOVE IT - LET'S DO IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Overall, this is a very good show. Imelda and Jools was a great combination last week. This week, the Script were excellent too. Christy Dignam looks well enough despite his illness and sings very good too.

Could have left this Derek Ryan out, though. Luke Kelly he most certainly ain't. Better suited to TNG and Glor Tire. We get too much of this tame Irish country and we need more rockabilly, bluegrass, blues and soul instead. It is out there but unfortunately all we get is stuff like 'God's plan', 'On your wedding day', 'Day of my return', 'Hold onto your hat' and so on. I can't see why this fella and Mike Denver have to be paraded in front of us all the time? Soulless, bluesless country music with a foot in the boyband arena produced in a factory. They are very poor when compared to many others out there inclusive of Imelda herself.

^^^^
    I agree with you on a little bit of what you wrote. I think there should be a platform for the blues and soul music that you mentioned above. It's rte though so whatever is considered popular will get more attention. I think TG4 is great for homegrown stuff. I don't know how they are like with music but they are great for showing movies and short films.

In relation to the rest of your post -

What do you mean by your reference to Luke Kelly? Are you implying that Derek Ryan views himself as the next Luke Kelly? Or are you suggesting that Imelda show only have great guests such as Luke Kelly on her show. I don't know how considering the man is dead and other such greats in music are also dead such as Ronnie Drew.

I don't know much about Mike Denver to comment on him. I heard of him but that's about it.

It's funny how you mentioned the boyband stuff. I only discovered Derek Ryan last year so it's not like I followed him from his boyband days and truth be told I don't remember the boyband he once belonged in. His debut country album came out in 2010. That was before country music or country-pop music became popular in Ireland, so for Derek Ryan, I don't think it's a bandwagon he's jumping on. I think I would take what you wrote and apply it to Shane Filan. Apparently he turned countryish since last year. He's definately one who found the wagon and jumped on it.

Music is subjective. What appeals to one person wouldn't appeal to another.

• Advertisement

ITV started a new series of Sunday Night at the Palladium tonight.

It surely won't be long belong RTE will have revivals of Where in The World, Glenroe and Sunday Night at the Olympia!

Yes, the new Glenroe is on the way but instead of being a spinoff of Bracken, it will be a spinoff of Love/Hate, focusing on Fran the man's exploits in his caravan! Nidge will also make some appearances too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

What else have we got in Carlow only Derek and Richie Kavanagh. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Love her to bits but theres wayyyyyy too much talk...take a tip from Jools..deffo wanted more Hudson Taylor...Dont compare it to Later, thats like saying Later was a rip-off of TOTP...which was a rip-off of TOGWT, .more music please...;)

Love her to bits but theres wayyyyyy too much talk...take a tip from Jools..deffo wanted more Hudson Taylor...Dont compare it to Later, thats like saying Later was a rip-off of TOTP...which was a rip-off of TOGWT, .more music please...;)

It is a rip off of Later with Jools, Imelda said so herself. As did Jools, he said was delighted to see Imelda trying to do the same type of show here.

The balance between music and interview might be slightly different but the basic format is identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Mary Black was once a great singer, not anymore :(
    Her voice is gone.

Well, as I've said before, she turns 60 next year.

If one of the Gerry Ryan family gets a slot I'll scream......

Fair to say that getting Lottie on this show in some way would be just like deliberately leaving muddy footprints on a freshly-polished floor. :o;)

Overall, this is a very good show. Imelda and Jools was a great combination last week. This week, the Script were excellent too. Christy Dignam looks well enough despite his illness and sings very good too.

Could have left this Derek Ryan out, though. Luke Kelly he most certainly ain't. Better suited to TNG and Glor Tire. We get too much of this tame Irish country and we need more rockabilly, bluegrass, blues and soul instead. It is out there but unfortunately all we get is stuff like 'God's plan', 'On your wedding day', 'Day of my return', 'Hold onto your hat' and so on. I can't see why this fella and Mike Denver have to be paraded in front of us all the time? Soulless, bluesless country music with a foot in the boyband arena produced in a factory. They are very poor when compared to many others out there inclusive of Imelda herself.

I have to say, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if L***s W***h turned up on this show at some point... :o :rolleyes: ;)

Now are we b**ching and moaning about this show as much as we are b**ching and moaning about the LLS?

I think you'll find the answer is no.

Because it's a much better production than the LLS (although that isn't difficult). It's not without faults, but it certainly has far less of them than the Late Late.

Now are we b**ching and moaning about this show as much as we are b**ching and moaning about the LLS?

I think you'll find the answer is no.

Because it's a much better production than the LLS (although that isn't difficult). It's not without faults, but it certainly has far less of them than the Late Late.

I think Imelda's show is very good overall and is something that was needed on Irish TV for a long time. She is ideal to present it and knows her music and also concentrates on the right questions for her guests.

Comparison to the LLS/Tubridy Show is inevitable and usually the comparison shows Imelda's show in a positive light. A lot of people I met actually say: combine Imelda's show with the Saturday Night Show and there is no need for Tubridy's one. :)

Well, as I've said before, she turns 60 next year.
    What has that got to do with her singing voice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.. voice goes as you get older..

I have to say, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if L***s W***h turned up on this show at some point... :o :rolleyes: ;)

As long as Billy from Aslan is not on again :D World War 3 could start if both Billy & Louis were on. Why not throw in Linda as well !!

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    .. voice goes as you get older..
    Plenty singers in their 50's and 60's still singing as they did when they were younger.

A lot of people I met actually say: combine Imelda's show with the Saturday Night Show and there is no need for Tubridy's one. :)

Imelda and Brendan could make a great double act, come to think of it. :);)

But if their shows were combined, then the depressing items (which, sadly, have become more common on the SNS in recent times) would surely have to be kept to a severe minimum, if not forbidden altogether. Having them on a show co-hosted by Imelda would be very much like trying to mix oil with water.

As long as Billy from Aslan is not on again :D World War 3 could start if both Billy & Louis were on. Why not throw in Linda as well !!

Heck, throw in Tubs too... :o:o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can't listen to the woman. That freaking accent! As mentioned, grossly overrated!

Gaybo's infatuation with her is just like his infatuation with O'Connor, creepy and sleazy.

genericguy wrote: »
    Imelda may is grossly overrated IMO. Very average, and if she had a normal haircut nobody would care less about her.

I have to say, I can't quite believe that the post I'm quoting has been thanked 25 times... :o:o:o

She may not be everyone's cup of tea, but to say that she's "grossly overrated" is slightly harsh. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I like the show, Imelda is doing fine as presenter, but the quality of the music acts needs to improve. It's great that Irish bands are getting more exposure, but it needs to be about more than that. Hudson Taylor were great, the Script sounded very "processed" to me and lacking bite, and I skipped Aslan because I can'tstand them m:-). Country music is not my thing, but it has a place in a show like this.

There are plenty of international acts playing here regularly that would surely jump at the chance to appear on Irish tv. I'm not talking about superstars but established if relatively little known acts such as (for my tastes) Joe Bonamassa. Grant Lee Phillips will be in Dublin next month and would make a great guest. This could make the difference imo between an ok show and a great one.

I like the show, Imelda is doing fine as presenter, but the quality of the music acts needs to improve. It's great that Irish bands are getting more exposure, but it needs to be about more than that. Hudson Taylor were great, the Script sounded very "processed" to me and lacking bite, and I skipped Aslan because I can'tstand them m:-). Country music is not my thing, but it has a place in a show like this.

There are plenty of international acts playing here regularly that would surely jump at the chance to appear on Irish tv. I'm not talking about superstars but established if relatively little known acts such as (for my tastes) Joe Bonamassa. Grant Lee Phillips will be in Dublin next month and would make a great guest. This could make the difference imo between an ok show and a great one.

Inevitably, some of the acts on the show will be better than others. Of course, taste will have a lot to do with this too. Perhaps, the show will get a bigger budget next year and will develop to include international acts.

I like Aslan myself and The Script are ok too. Hudson Taylor are good too. First time I heard them.

I like certain forms of country music but not the modern country and irish version. Acts like Mike Denver have ruined Irish country music imo and the newer crop follow these as role models. Hopefully, better forms of country music will feature on shows like this. There's always Glor Tire for those who love the Mike Denver-types.

Imelda May herself launched an alternative to country and irish and her rockabilly side is just one of the many alternative types of country music genres that exist. Imelda is a great presenter and is enthusiastic and that is what is needed.

madmaggie wrote: »
    What else have we got in Carlow only Derek and Richie Kavanagh. :eek:

Now, Richie Kavanagh is the man. Many people may laugh at him, but he is actually very funny, is a good singer and musician and has an original act and has reinvented traditional Irish melodies with his songs.

I don't know much about Mike Denver to comment on him. I heard of him but that's about it.

It's funny how you mentioned the boyband stuff. I only discovered Derek Ryan last year so it's not like I followed him from his boyband days and truth be told I don't remember the boyband he once belonged in. His debut country album came out in 2010. That was before country music or country-pop music became popular in Ireland, so for Derek Ryan, I don't think it's a bandwagon he's jumping on. I think I would take what you wrote and apply it to Shane Filan. Apparently he turned countryish since last year. He's definately one who found the wagon and jumped on it.

Music is subjective. What appeals to one person wouldn't appeal to another.

D-Side was the band Derek Ryan belonged to. I never heard of them but read now they were very popular in Japan. Had some hits in Ireland too.

I have heard a lot of Derek Ryan's music on TNG and this Hotcountry programme on in the house when I return home. Some family members can't get enough of it !! Also, these Mother's Son, Country Soul and Dreamers & Believers albums are here. Now, I said I'd listen to them one time and hated many of the Irish-written songs on it: plenty country (& irish!) not much soul though.

Songs like The Gathering, It's Friday and God's plan are among the worst things I have ever heard. But all's not lost: in fairness, he does some excellent songs like I can't stop loving you and There stands the glass (he should concentrate on ones like this rather than the above). Love me tonight, turn out the lights is nice too if a little too like the bluegrass standard Stay away from me or Brendan Shine's Catch me if you can.

But that seems to be the thing with all of the country and irish of today: there are good songs on all of their albums but a lot of poor stuff too. A lot of the poor stuff littered across albums by Mike Denver, Derek Ryan, 3 Amigos and others tend to be usually this neo-folksy uptempo Galwaygirl-derivative stuff or else very bland ballads and written in Ireland. The older US covers tend to be far better songs and also I feel the artist is more passionate about these songs too. As if to say the original songs are just there as a tax exemption clause and not much thought is put into singing and writing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Plenty singers in their 50's and 60's still singing as they did when they were younger.

and plenty dont. She is just unlucky to fall into the group of singers whose voice deteriorates. especially true about singers who arent classically trained. Paul McCartney cant sing for toffee these days and hasnt been able to for quite some time.

• Advertisement

Beano wrote: »
    and plenty dont. She is just unlucky to fall into the group of singers whose voice deteriorates. especially true about singers who arent classically trained. Paul McCartney cant sing for toffee these days and hasnt been able to for quite some time.

Singers' voices deteriorate for many reasons. Some abuse themselves (drink, drugs, etc.), some just don't practice or rehearse anymore, some assume just being the artist they are is enough. Some try and change their style and sing songs not suited to their voices. Etc.

Advertisement