Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clothes Line

Options
  • 14-09-2014 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Right AH,

This may lower the standard of threads to something completely boring.

Came up in conversation the other drunken night...

1) Is there any harm leaving clothes on the washing line at night time or should they be taken in? -personally think they should, bugs and stuff getting in them.

2) Mate of my living in apartment says he is not allowed to leave clothes on the balcony as they are unsightly? Bit strict?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wouldn't put clothes outside incase of spiders or bird****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder does that actually happen a lot to clothes on the line (bird crap that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

1 - It would defeat the purpose of leaving them out to dry in the first place. Cold night air and morning dew would negate the drying done during the sunshine.

2 -Stupid vanity rule that only serves to waste electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Archeron

Earwigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I silently judge people who leave a washing on a line at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Right AH,

This may lower the standard of threads to something completely boring.

Came up in conversation the other drunken night...

1) Is there any harm leaving clothes on the washing line at night time or should they be taken in? -personally think they should, bugs and stuff getting in them.

And knicker thieves. Never forget knicker thieves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

How will I rob my neighbours knickers if she doesn't leave them on the line overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

They will fade if left to get wet again so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

So you always leave the house naked then going by this logic

Nothing says ghetto quite like laundry strung across level after level of balconies. It looks awful and I'm not surprised there are rules against it.

If I put something to dry outside it's to let the breeze and the sunshine dry it. Damp night air defeats the purpose and I'd probably wind up putting in the dryer to finish it off anyway. It also looks lazy.

I have to use a dryer for everything where I am, or string unsuitable things for the dryer across the bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well that's fcuking stupid.

Candie wrote: »
    Nothing says ghetto quite like laundry strung across level after level of balconies. It looks awful and I'm not surprised there are rules against it.

If I put something to dry outside it's to let the breeze and the sunshine dry it. Damp night air defeats the purpose and I'd probably wind up putting in the dryer to finish it off anyway. It also looks lazy.

I have to use a dryer for everything where I am, or string unsuitable things for the dryer across the bathroom.

So it's ok for people who live in houses to dry their clothes outdoors but if you live in an apartment then tough luck Jack, someone thinks it looks ugly so you can't be doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I had my knickers stolen off the line a few times over the years. I don't leave them out anymore. Sick, creepy fcuks sneaking around peoples gardens stealing underwear.:mad:

P_1 wrote: »
    So it's ok for people who live in houses to dry their clothes outdoors but if you live in an apartment then tough luck Jack, someone thinks it looks ugly so you can't be doing that?

That seems to be the way it is in a lot of apartment blocks. The difference is in a private garden that they aren't on public display.

I don't think anyone can claim it looks good on apartment balcony after apartment balcony. It's one of the downsides of living in a building with communal rules. People usually know that before they move in though, so it's not a case of tough luck, just a tough choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I had my knickers stolen off the line a few times over the years. I don't leave them out anymore. Sick, creepy fcuks sneaking around peoples gardens stealing underwear.:mad:

What's the point of robbing clean knickers?

: D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Maybe the breeze took them?

Is that what he's calling himself these days :pac:

P_1 wrote: »
    Is that what he's calling himself these days :pac:

Yes :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Nah, they were much too skimpy for the breeze to....... I mean you're right it was most likely the breeze ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Often dry the clothes outside overnight. These mornings the sun burns off any dew quickly enough and they come in in the afternoon. Once the rain and hail season sets in - its back to drying them out on radiators for a month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Once the rain and hail season sets in - its back to drying them out on radiators for a month or two.

Dude you need to get your rads serviced.

My neighbour lays her clothes out on the bushes and trees in her back garden.

It took me a while to figure out what the fcuk was going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

I thought I was in the wrestling forum.....
    /wanders off out again....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

As I would be working during the week and only coming home in the evenings, my routine would be to put a wash on when I get home, hang it out to dry (usually around 7 or 8pm), and then take it down nice and dry when I come home from work the next day.

I always found that rule about not being allowed to dry your washing on your balcony rather silly - being from Germany, I thought I had grown up with all the over-the-top, pea-counting rules there are on the planet (such as, not being allowed to mow your lawn between 12 and 3pm on weekends, not being allowed to shower after 10pm when living in an apartment, things of that type), but the no drying laundry on the balcony was a completely new one to me. And one I can honestly see no sense in whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Shenshen wrote: »
    And one I can honestly see no sense in whatsoever.

It's to combat global warming.

Some detergents have carbo-fluorocarbons which are blown into the air if the clothes are dried outside. Modern tumble-dryers have filters that collect these.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

If they're still wet, no might as well leave them out, if they're dry/nearly dry, no point leaving them out for them to get wet again, it doesn't get any more complicated than that.

That's common for apartments, that's written into my contract too. I'd agree with it for apartments but I don't get why it's frowned upon some places to leave washing out at all, even at the back of a fairly private house, where only your neighbours could see it. That's a nonsense.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    That's common for apartments, that's written into my contract too. I'd agree with it for apartments but I don't get why it's frowned upon some places to leave washing out at all, even at the back of a fairly private house, where only your neighbours could see it. That's a nonsense.

Where I'm living, I can see over the back yards of about 20 houses from an upstairs window. There'll be washing out most nights in about half of those. People are working by day and the nights are dry. According to the forecast today, there hasn't been a drop of rain in some parts for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

catallus wrote: »
    It's to combat global warming.

Some detergents have carbo-fluorocarbons which are blown into the air if the clothes are dried outside. Modern tumble-dryers have filters that collect these.

Do they also run on the dreams of children?

I'm not sure if you're being serious but tumble dryers are one of the most electricity-gobbling home appliances you can use. There's no way in hell that hanging clothes out to dry naturally is worse for the environment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Do they also run on the dreams of children?

If only!

Tumble dryers use significantly less electricity than a standard fridge. I also note that you completely ignored the chlorofluorocarbon aspect to defend this heinous practice :mad:

But that's the point; if we had a dedicated detergent forum (of which I could be a mod) then we could educate people like you and your ilk :eek:

• Advertisement

I'll worry about the chlorofluorocarbon problem when China etc. close down the nuclear power plants. Besides its thanks to global warming that I get to hang my chlorofluorocarbons out for longer every year.
    I'll worry about the poor little penguins on their wee icecaps later.

Advertisement