Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Laptop

Options
  • 13-09-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

At Argos : Asus F-Series F551CA Core i3 15.6 Inch 4GB 500GB Laptop - €320
    £306 at Amazon
    Product Code : 292/3147 - Plenty of Stock in most areas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

ASUS are a pretty reputable brand, if I'm not wrong?

I would like to see what the new wave of laptops with Windows 9 will be like, and the subsequent price drops on current models would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

balfe1990 wrote: »

You are not wrong indeed they are one of the best in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Only 1.8ghz, is that not fairly slow for a supposedly worth 500 euro laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Only 2 usb ports - would mean using a hub for most folks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Binka wrote: »
    Only 2 usb ports - would mean using a hub for most folks.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had two devices plugged in to my laptop.

If you're using it as a desktop replacement (keyboard, mouse etc) its actually easier to use a hub anyway, less to connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

MYOB wrote: »
    I can count on one hand the number of times I've had two devices plugged in to my laptop.

If you're using it as a desktop replacement (keyboard, mouse etc) its actually easier to use a hub anyway, less to connect.

I have 4 on mine and don't have to bother with a hub. I like to use a wireless mouse with my laptop which maybe a lot of people don't and there's the problem of having to charge so many things that don't come with mains chargers anymore (kindles, mp3 players etc) not to mention the eternal charging of my smartphone (at least twice a day these days) usb flash drive, the list goes on. 4 is available on many laptops - 2 I would struggle with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

USB wall chargers are anywhere from 2x-4x faster usually so I wouldn't even consider charging via a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

balfe1990 wrote: »

I would like to see what the new wave of laptops with Windows 9 will be like, and the subsequent price drops on current models would be nice.

Windows 9?

Months and months away !

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Windows 9?

Months and months away !
    True!

Was thinking of the rumoured preview supposedly launching later this month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Windows 9?

Months and months away !

More like two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Tesco have a Toshy 15.6in lappy on offer nationally at present for €279.00. Model C50D-A-138 A. 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, Windows 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Only 1.8ghz, is that not fairly slow for a supposedly worth 500 euro laptop?

1.8 now and 1.8ghz 5 years ago are different ball games

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

At the risk of asking a stupid question- is this Wifi AC or at very least dualband 2.4/5Ghz?

Aside from that- it looks like a good price- but I'd seriously have to gut Metro out of it before it would be usable.

Its usable- its a 4th gen i3- its functional- it will get the job done, and be reliable.

Its obviously not for playing games on- but should be ok on power usage etc.

At its current price- its probably got no competition locally on the Irish market (the Tesco laptops- are crap in comparison to this)- but at the same time- it is pretty entry level........

Remember you'll need to factor in a licence for Office ontop of this (though you may get a bargain on software4students.ie or elsewhere- even Tesco were flogging Microsoft licences lately).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Asus make fantastic laptops.

If you can stretch a bit more - this aint too bad.

Asus X550CA i5, 6gb , 1TB HD around 500e

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I1BRCLK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Sonics2k wrote: »
    More like two years.

Erm, I think not. A lot of screenshots have been leaked from the preview build and from what I understand, theyre looking to launch in the spring.

They want to put the windows 8 debacle behind them. Two years from now? Definitely not. http://m.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-1029245

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Tesco have a Toshy 15.6in lappy on offer nationally at present for €279.00. Model C50D-A-138 A. 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, Windows 8.1.

I actually bought the last one of these in my local tesco day begore yesterday but as I was leaving the shopping centre with it under my arm, delighted with myself, I was passing Argos & thought ' I'll just check again!'
    They had the same one (I thought!) for €20 cheaper (no discount!) but when I looked closer it was actually better...!!! The 'B' version rather than 'A' in tesco... 1.3 ghrz processor as opposed to 1.0!!!
    I went back to tesco & returned it straight away... money back & straight to Argos... actually ended up getting a slightly better one again... Toshiba 4gb ram 750hb hd, intel dual core (the other 2 aren't intel) & 2.something ghz processor speed. .. €309... even though it was coming up as €339 at the cash till it was €309 on the system so they honoured that!
    I am happy with it so far. .. slight delay/jump with touchpad betimes & windows 8.1 takes a bit of getting used to...
    Had my last one for 9 years... Sony Vaio... so was well due an upgrade but just couldn't afford it... who would have thought 10 or even 5 years ago that we would be paying €300 or less for a laptop! !!
    hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

apologise for the weird € sign... it means euros obviously! ! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

got an asus from argos a few months back-thing is a disaster turns off by itself and is constantly over heating load of crap never again asus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I picked this up this morning, as my laptop kept overheating and shutting off. Have an assignment due for college in 2 weeks so needed some decent and cheap pronto.
    I had reserved it online at 8am this morning for €319.99, however, the price on the till was €389.99. Manager made a phone call and they honoured the €319.99 price.
    From what I have seen from other options, this is the best spec I could find at this price range. I don't need it for gaming, but for general day to day use, it will definitely be pretty good.

Yeah its fairly good for what your getting!

I ordered the i5 version from amazon late last night, coming in at just 500e to replace a six year old dell.

Cant wait to get my hands on it now !

iPink wrote: »
    I actually bought the last one of these in my local tesco day begore yesterday but as I was leaving the shopping centre with it under my arm, delighted with myself, I was passing Argos & thought ' I'll just check again!'
    They had the same one (I thought!) for €20 cheaper (no discount!) but when I looked closer it was actually better...!!! The 'B' version rather than 'A' in tesco... 1.3 ghrz processor as opposed to 1.0!!!
    I went back to tesco & returned it straight away... money back & straight to Argos... actually ended up getting a slightly better one again... Toshiba 4gb ram 750hb hd, intel dual core (the other 2 aren't intel) & 2.something ghz processor speed. .. €309... even though it was coming up as €339 at the cash till it was €309 on the system so they honoured that!
    I am happy with it so far. .. slight delay/jump with touchpad betimes & windows 8.1 takes a bit of getting used to...
    Had my last one for 9 years... Sony Vaio... so was well due an upgrade but just couldn't afford it... who would have thought 10 or even 5 years ago that we would be paying €300 or less for a laptop! !!
    hope this helps! :)

Well done !!!! I had forgotten about the Argos deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

got an asus from argos a few months back-thing is a disaster turns off by itself and is constantly over heating load of crap never again asus

Bring it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Glenn220390

One of the worst laptops on the market, 1 GHz processor. They can't multitask at all, very slow to do anything. Do not buy

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sonics2k wrote: »
    More like two years.

More like two weeks ;)

unkel wrote: »

Thats probably the Beta release we all receive for testing on. Doesn't mean its stable (though its probably pretty ok, as the kernel is very similar to W7/W8. We're no-where near a release candidate though- that would be at very least 6-9 months- and possibly a lot further. The only reason MS are throwing the level of resources that they are at this Beta- is because Windows 8 is seen as a 'Millenium' product they want to bury at the cross-roads and they need its successor, working properly, tested even more thoroughly- and road tested with consumer groups- as soon as possible. Many of the steps with these things- can't really be hurried though.

All that we've seen so far are a few 'accidental teasers' that Microsoft themselves managed to show off unintentionally over the past few days.

We are no-where near a release though- the current product they have is at relatively early stage development- they haven't even nailed down its feature set yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

On the original Argos Asus of Bargin Alert , was just taking a look and noticed on the website "Current selling price valid until 15/09/2014 "
    So there is a risk it may increase in price tomorrow if anyone was thinking of purchasing.

Thats probably the Beta release we all receive for testing on. Doesn't mean its stable (though its probably pretty ok, as the kernel is very similar to W7/W8. We're no-where near a release candidate though- that would be at very least 6-9 months- and possibly a lot further. The only reason MS are throwing the level of resources that they are at this Beta- is because Windows 8 is seen as a 'Millenium' product they want to bury at the cross-roads and they need its successor, working properly, tested even more thoroughly- and road tested with consumer groups- as soon as possible. Many of the steps with these things- can't really be hurried though.

All that we've seen so far are a few 'accidental teasers' that Microsoft themselves managed to show off unintentionally over the past few days.

We are no-where near a release though- the current product they have is at relatively early stage development- they haven't even nailed down its feature set yet.

Most (reliable) sources are saying Spring of 2015 for the full, official release

• Advertisement

One of the worst laptops on the market, 1 GHz processor. They can't multitask at all, very slow to do anything. Do not buy

Rubbish. There's one of those in my gaff and works perfectly. I doubt the OP is looking for an all-singing and dancing model. The Toshie is fine for normal office/student work. Also fine for streaming.

Advertisement