Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water-Based Hyluronic Serum

Options
  • 31-08-2014 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi all!
    I have combination skin, but a bit dehydrated.
    The water-based hyluronic serum I saw was about e70 (Florian something...cant remember full brand name).
    Does anyone here use serums (are they any good) and can ye recommend any?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

What about hydralauron? It's really good, loads of reviews of it online and I think it's €30 but its frequently on offer in Boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thank you so much!

Sounds like just what am after...for a fraction of the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

tx Maxx lately had hyaluronic serum for 8.99, cant remember the name but was in a green box

jadie wrote: »
    tx Maxx lately had hyaluronic serum for 8.99, cant remember the name but was in a green box

Ouh :) I shall be having a look there too-thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I use this one from Bravura London and I find it good.

• Advertisement

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    I use this one from Bravura London and I find it good.

Thank you! I will keep this in mind.
    I bought the hydraluron one as I was passing Boots this evening, so will see how I get on/any difference.

As skin products go, am excited to use it (but have tried lots of different products feeling excited, then let down :pac:

Hmmm-hmmm

I applied this going to bed last night...my face felt so tight (um I thought "hydration" was the key word here). I applied moisturiser over it (still felt taut).

Same thing this morning.

Does anyone know if this is what you should be feeling? Strange little cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hmmm-hmmm

I applied this going to bed last night...my face felt so tight (um I thought "hydration" was the key word here). I applied moisturiser over it (still felt taut).

Same thing this morning.

Does anyone know if this is what you should be feeling? Strange little cream.

I've been using this on and off for a few weeks now, just on my forehead which tends to get dehydrated. I'm not sure of it is making much difference. If anything it seems to be dehydrating me even more and making my forehead lines worse no matter what moisturiser I use on top of it. :(

sunbeam wrote: »
    I've been using this on and off for a few weeks now, just on my forehead which tends to get dehydrated. I'm not sure of it is making much difference. If anything it seems to be dehydrating me even more and making my forehead lines worse no matter what moisturiser I use on top of it. :(

How very strange...

I applied it all over my face, and my top lip by lunchtime was very ceepy/crinkely (I dont even have lines there).

Any one know whats going on (or do I have to chuck it in the "claimed to be great for +e30s" bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I've been using Hydraluron for a while now and love it - out of curiosity, for those who aren't having a great time with it, what moisturiser are you putting on afterwards?
    Hydraluron by itself isn't hydrating at all, it's job is to grab all the water molecules from whatever you put on over it. Have you tried using an oil-free moisturiser?
    I use an oil-free moisturiser from Elave (which actually has hyaluronic acid in it anyway) and find the two work great together!

• Advertisement

Hydraluron by itself isn't hydrating at all, it's job is to grab all the water molecules from whatever you put on over it. Have you tried using an oil-free moisturiser?

I think I completely got the wrong end of the stick of how the product works.:o (I looked up on hyluronic serums before buying this and not one place said this).

I was wondering how it would work if youd to put on moisturiser over it.

I use Elizabeth Ardens's Moisturiser with SPF 15 (I think this is brill). Which I think is oil based.

Oh lordy, so to possibly try get this thing to work, I've to go buy another (oil free) moisturiser?

I think I completely got the wrong end of the stick of how the product works.:o (I looked up on hyluronic serums before buying this and not one place said this).

I was wondering how it would work if youd to put on moisturiser over it.

I use Elizabeth Ardens's Moisturiser with SPF 15 (I think this is brill). Which I think is oil based.

Oh lordy, so to possibly try get this thing to work, I've to go buy another (oil free) moisturiser?

I have heard great things about that EA moisturiser, although I have oily skin so always go for oil-free moisturisers anyway.

I think it even says on the Hydraluron box that it's for use under moisturiser.

Caroline Hirons wrote a really good article about it (sorry, can't post links because I'm a new user but if you google Caroline Hirons Hydraluron it's pretty much the first thing that pops up, it's in her Hall of Fame!) - she explains it quite well.

Sorry Dellas, looks like that may be the case here :( I know it's so frustrating buying these products when they don't work out as you'd expected them to!

If it's any consolation I have had brilliant results with this, and I have the worst skin possible - oily dehydrated!

Hey I did read the Caroline Hirons info before buying, but bar one comment I think (about their skin being tight-and it was kinda dismissed), all it was was how good it is.

Its so tight, it feels almost, "dusty".

I've popped off an email to Indeed labs see if they have any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

You definitely need to follow hydraluron with moisturiser! I've been using it for about 2 weeks and I really like it. It does feel tight when you put it on but this only bothers me if I let it dry in for a while rather than immediately following it with a moisturiser. I use l'oreal laser renew night moisturiser at the minute and I find my skin is much plumper looking the next morning than when I used the moisturiser alone.

I'm finding it harder to use in the morning though. I used to use protect & perfect serum followed by la Roche Posay extreme fluid sunscreen, then a drop or two of facial oil if I felt I needed extra moisture. When I exchanged the protect & perfect for hydraluron I found that it would go all "bitty" when I put the sunscreen on and I'd have to wipe off the white bits with a towel before I could put makeup on! I tried a different sunscreen and it was ok with that, but my problem was I really like the one I was using, as it's really lightweight and doesn't make me shiny. I think I'm going to use hydraluron at night only and stick to protect & perfect with my favourite sunscreen in the morning, cos it took a while to find the right combination there!

Semele wrote: »
    You definitely need to follow hydraluron with moisturiser! I've been using it for about 2 weeks and I really like it. It does feel tight when you put it on but this only bothers me if I let it dry in for a while rather than immediately following it with a moisturiser. I use l'oreal laser renew night moisturiser at the minute and I find my skin is much plumper looking the next morning than when I used the moisturiser alone.

I'm finding it harder to use in the morning though. I used to use protect & perfect serum followed by la Roche Posay extreme fluid sunscreen, then a drop or two of facial oil if I felt I needed extra moisture. When I exchanged the protect & perfect for hydraluron I found that it would go all "bitty" when I put the sunscreen on and I'd have to wipe off the white bits with a towel before I could put makeup on! I tried a different sunscreen and it was ok with that, but my problem was I really like the one I was using, as it's really lightweight and doesn't make me shiny. I think I'm going to use hydraluron at night only and stick to protect & perfect with my favourite sunscreen in the morning, cos it took a while to find the right combination there!

Semele it might be worth checking if your sunscreen has any silicone in it? Or anything in the ingredients list that ends with -one. I think that might be the cause of the "balling" effect you get applying after Hydraluron. The silicone doesn't mix well with water, causing that beading effect!

Think Hydraluron is so great though you'd definitely still get the benefits only applying at night :)

So, there are rules to what you can/should apply with.

I think am going to have to go the night time route too (as I love my EA day cream a lot).

Irony, where do you get the elave cream? As a result of buying the hydraluron, I now have e10 on me boots card.

Im gonna have so many creams, I wont know what am rubbin on :D

So, there are rules to what you can/should apply with.

I think am going to have to go the night time route too (as I love my EA day cream a lot).

Irony, where do you get the elave cream? As a result of buying the hydraluron, I now have e10 on me boots card.

Im gonna have so many creams, I wont know what am rubbin on :D

:D it does seem that way doesn't it?! Hopefully in 30 years time we'll all still look like spring chickens!

I get the Elave moisturiser in Boots :) that particular oil-free moisturiser can be a bit tricky to find (the smaller Boots usually only have the Elave baby stuff!) but you can get it in pharmacies too - I've seen it in McCabes too. As always double check online for it, might find a deal and save yourself a few pennies :)

Went shopping in Aldi today, and had a look in the cosmetics aisle.
    And found (another) day serum (with errmm hyluronic acid). It didnt say it was oil free, but the first ingredient in it is water.
    It was only e4 or something.

Anyways, at home I put on the hydraluron AND straight away the Aldi serum and it feels much better ;)

So, I think Ill do this as a night time duo and leave the EA moisturiser for the day.

I will report back in a week or so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Just as an update to this I tried the Hydraluron with an oil free moisturiser on top, but no joy-I think my forehead is definitely dry as well as dehydrated.

Next I used a tiny bit of it, then tried spritzing my forehead with some water and then adding my usual moisturiser. This works much better! My skin now seems very soft and hydrated. I'm not sure if it is doing much for my forehead lines but it may be too early to say. I've had them since I was about eight years old(!) and have no other wrinkles, but perhaps at 42 I need a more targeted anti-ageing serum.

Well, Ive been using the Hydraluron plus the Aldi serum combo most nights now for the last week.

And the Aldi serum plus normal moisturiser combo during the day.

And I have noticed a difference, definitely in plumpness. And my skin feels very soft. Also, I would get period spots. And this time, they all seemed to clear up very quickly.

So, I will defo keep doing the combos.

Also, the Aldi serum smells really nice and I usually put some on my hands too...shur where could you go wrong for e4!

• Advertisement
Advertisement