Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options
  • 06-03-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I'm doing the HPat next year (2015) and am wondering what books are useful to help prepare? Are there any logical reasoning books etc that people would recommend?

I'm aware of the ACER e-books and plan to purchase them later this year.

Thanks.

Mod Edit: Going to start this as the 2015 thread. It might seem early but last years crowd had one set up a year and a half in advance! ;)

2nd Mod edit: Do NOT use this thread for 'join me in m***ntry deals' posts. Put them in Health Sciences Education where they belong. Any posted here will be deleted.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1274

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm doing the HPat next year (2015) and am wondering what books are useful to help prepare? Are there any logical reasoning books etc that people would recommend?

I'm aware of the ACER e-books and plan to purchase them later this year.

Thanks.

No , there's just acer tests and prep courses . Buy the acer tests , best thing to do .

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    No , there's just acer tests and prep courses . Buy the acer tests , best thing to do .

Cheers, is there any books that could help strengthen section 1 and 3? I heard that psychometric books were recommended by some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Magenta7

Hi I'm new to boards, just wondering have any of you started doing preparation yet and if so what have you done? :)

Cheers, is there any books that could help strengthen section 1 and 3? I heard that psychometric books were recommended by some people.

Well I've sat it and honestly nothing as good as acer tests .
    However mensa books are good . I have a few at home . They have patterns and problems . Med entry give a free sample test too. Start there !

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Well I've sat it and honestly nothing as good as acer tests .
    However mensa books are good . I have a few at home . They have patterns and problems . Med entry give a free sample test too. Start there !

Thanks,
    I've ordered one Mensa book for now, it's called Chalenge Your Brain Math and Logic Puzzles so hopefully it helps!

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    I've ordered one Mensa book for now, it's called Chalenge Your Brain Math and Logic Puzzles so hopefully it helps!
    I think i have it . It's good for problem solving and Getting your mind to think outside the box .

• Registered Users Posts: 38 iwillarise

Hi guys,

Do you have to sit your leaving and take your HPAT in the same year?

Also, is there a limit on the amount of times one can sit it? Ive already taken it twice (With a deviation of two marks!)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

It's pretty scary to think this thread is the one before the one that relates to me :eek:

Would it be worth my while trying to do the HPAT in 5th year instead of 6th year? It might reduce the stress in sixth year and I'd prefer to get it out of the way, or do you have to sit both your LC and HPAT in the same year?

I'm in TY now so I have time to prepare for the test if I was to do it next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    It's pretty scary to think this thread is the one before the one that relates to me :eek:

Would it be worth my while trying to do the HPAT in 5th year instead of 6th year? It might reduce the stress in sixth year and I'd prefer to get it out of the way, or do you have to sit both your LC and HPAT in the same year?

I'm in TY now so I have time to prepare for the test if I was to do it next year :)
    No, you can't do it before 6th year, enjoy yourself instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭quirkista

Magenta7 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to boards, just wondering have any of you started doing preparation yet and if so what have you done? :)

I have started my preparation recently, focusing in particular on the logic section as it tends to let me down a small bit. Overall, I don't think its too bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

hey guys thin it's time for me to start studying fir this hpat now! WHat is everyone else doing? Just don't know where to start tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

Hi all, I will be going into Sixth Year this September and I am hoping to study medicine. I am planning on attending some preparation courses next year, but I was wondering, are there any online resources for the HPAT that I could be working on over the Summer? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

This chat is fairly dull, is there any threads where everyone actually writes on and gives there accounts of what there doing relative to hpat study and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Theboybang

I am doing the LC this year and hope to do medicine . Am looking at doing a prep course but am not in a position to drop €600 if they're not going to hugely help me . I have a few sample papers and I am wondering if they will suffice . Also which prep course would you advise doing and are there books that can help ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭EaSwe

Agh this LC and HPAT stuff is a bit too real now! Anyone applying to UCAS for Med in the UK? I'm doing it as a Plan B should going for Med in Ireland not work out. Fingers crossed it'll all work out though.
    Anyone want to take a gawk at the ****ty (and far too long) first draft of my personal statement.. Need some feedback as to what works and what doesnt.. and what I should cut out. (I need to cut out about ten lines to meet UCAS' limit). Link: http://pastebin.com/LYYgP9YD. (I've redacted some identifying info)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

EaSwe wrote: »
    Agh this LC and HPAT stuff is a bit too real now! Anyone applying to UCAS for Med in the UK? I'm doing it as a Plan B should going for Med in Ireland not work out. Fingers crossed it'll all work out though.
    Anyone want to take a gawk at the ****ty (and far too long) first draft of my personal statement.. Need some feedback as to what works and what doesnt.. and what I should cut out. (I need to cut out about ten lines to meet UCAS' limit). Link: http://pastebin.com/LYYgP9YD. (I've redacted some identifying info)

That's pretty impressive, you've some great experiences and scientific achievements! Maybe whip out the thesaurus to change a couple words you've repeated a few times but yeah, I'm jealous of all the things you can put on yours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Magenta7

The fact that there is an official date for the HPAT 2015 makes the whole thing so much more daunting!! Done my first full practice exam on ******** and got 89th percentile overall :O would be delighted if I could get this in the real thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AvrilB

Please read the charter about spamming for 'discount groups'

• Registered Users Posts: 9 asdfrewq

Hey, so unfortunately I have to repeat the Hpat this year and was wondering if any successful candidate had practice material they could part with?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Was wondering where this thread had got to :P

Oh to be a first time HPAT'er again bursting with enthusiasm and optimism...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Doing dentistry this year but will probably give this another shot... Why not ...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gabrielazap

Hey guys ðŸ˜႒ how's HPAT study going? ðŸ˜႒ I'm repeating it this year.. So hopefully it all goes well! ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Hey guys ðŸ˜႒ how's HPAT study going? ðŸ˜႒ I'm repeating it this year.. So hopefully it all goes well! ðŸ˜႒

repeating as well woooo :D

Yup, surely am! ;) not as bad as I thought it would be....:) Early days though:D:D

Hmmm.. Thinking about doing a Med-Entry prep course...anyone else thinking along the same lines?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Hi, not mentioning any course in particular because I know you're not allowed but do you think I'd be better off doing the prep course and getting pracitce material at the end of October or end of December? I'd love to hear from people who have done it before

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Hmmm.. Thinking about doing a Med-Entry prep course...anyone else thinking along the same lines?;)

Yeah. Not happy about it though

Yeah. Not happy about it though

Nobody would be happy to repeat but I suppose if you really want to do something you'll do it ;) Med-Entry is supposed to be very worthwhile but a bit pricey all the same..:/ I'm just going to work with the exercises and sample tests I have for the moment...I might not even bother with a prep course.. I'll have to give it a good bit of thought as I don't want to waste my parents money if it's not going to pay off...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

Nobody would be happy to repeat but I suppose if you really want to do something you'll do it ;) Med-Entry is supposed to be very worthwhile but a bit pricey all the same..:/ I'm just going to work with the exercises and sample tests I have for the moment...I might not even bother with a prep course.. I'll have to give it a good bit of thought as I don't want to waste my parents money if it's not going to pay off...;)

No sorry i mean im not happy about doing a prep course (in 6th yr atm). Seems like a pretty big scam. It just undermines the whole reason why the hpat was established. Then again, acer give out practice material for an exam you apparently cant study for so it's probably best to spend a few quid to help me out. It's pretty depressing tbh

• Advertisement

No sorry i mean im not happy about doing a prep course (in 6th yr atm). Seems like a pretty big scam. It just undermines the whole reason why the hpat was established. Then again, acer give out practice material for an exam you apparently cant study for so it's probably best to spend a few quid to help me out. It's pretty depressing tbh
    Oh right!ðŸ˜႒ Yeah I see what you mean..;) Money is the main catalyst for the whole idea of the HPAT..;) Hopefully it won't be around for much longer though...:/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement