Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't get a proof of address to open a bank account, please help!

Options
  • 08-09-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello to everyone, my girlfriend and I are from an EU country. We came to Ireland a month ago because we created a company here. I opened a personal bank account a few weeks ago because I had proofs of address on my country, the issue is that my girlfriend lived there with me and she doesn't have any proof of address, actually she just has one utility bill (phone bill) but she needs 2 utility bills as proof of adress from our origin country, so it won't be enough.

The bank told us that the PPS number doesn't work more (which, by the way, we have) nor the lease. The problem is that she can't have any contract in her name because she doesn't have a bank account (curious irony), so she can't have a mobilephone contract, TV license, car insurance... or any kind of bill that could fit as proof of address. We are stuck on this and we don't know what else to do. If someone knows how could she get a proof of address for here, we will be very grateful.

Greetings and thanks in advance.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Proof of PPS (a letter/document from the Revenue Commissioners or Department of Social Protection) should be perfectly sufficient.

First thing to do is ask another staff member. It may just be that the first is ill-informed, or just hasn't understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Proof of PPS (a letter/document from the Revenue Commissioners or Department of Social Protection) should be perfectly sufficient.

First thing to do is ask another staff member. It may just be that the first is ill-informed, or just hasn't understood.

DSP recently issued correspondence to all banks stating documents they issued should no longer be accepted by banks as proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 adrianfb

Hello and thanks for your answers. So maybe there is no solution for this? it's hard for me to believe.

¡Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Maybe she should try opening a credit union account, some will accept the lease as proof of address and again some have accounts that can be used for direct debits etc.

DSP recently issued correspondence to all banks stating documents they issued should no longer be accepted by banks as proof of address.

I have not heard this and would be involved in the ML checking area, was this recently?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

In the last month afaik.

Interesting, must follow up on this.

Advertisement