Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about moving the Dublin Footballers to Ulster

Options
  • 07-09-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭

It would give an even number of counties in both leinster and ulster.
    Also it would even up leinster take Dublin out of leinster and suddenly it is way more competitive.
    Dublin fans would not have to see other leinster teams be demoralized and hammered.
    There would be a huge buzz and entertainment throughout the season, Dublin supporters would not have to wait until August before they get a decent game.
    Dublin may get knocked out very early and have to go the qualifier route, huge boost for the economy outside Dublin.

I know it will probably never happen but it would be some craic.:eek:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Better idea to split Dublin in two natural enemies North and South?. Dublin has thousands of players and that's why they are dominating, how many players have say Carlow to choose form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dublin destroyed the second best team in ulster this years so they would have to wait until they played Donegal before they get a good match in Ulster.The overall standard in ulster is only marginally better than in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Also it would even up leinster take Dublin out of leinster and suddenly it is way more competitive.
    Dublin fans would not have to see other leinster teams be demoralized and hammered.
    There would be a huge buzz and entertainment throughout the season, Dublin supporters would not have to wait until August before they get a decent game.
    Dublin may get knocked out very early and have to go the qualifier route, huge boost for the economy outside Dublin.

There is no reason to think that Leinster would suddenly become way more comptetive. A look at the Roll of Honour will show that Dublin and Meath have always dominated with only an occasional incursion from other counties in the last 30 years. Who would suddenly emerge from the perennial also rans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leinster_Senior_Football_Championship#Roll_of_honour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭Pipjam

Dublin destroyed the second best team in ulster this years so they would have to wait until they played Donegal before they get a good match in Ulster.The overall standard in ulster is only marginally better than in Leinster.

What makes Monaghan the "second best team in ulster"?

Derry and Tyrone both operated in Division 1 of the League this year. Monaghan didn't.

Tyrone made an All Ireland semi final last year and beat Monaghan en route.

Armagh went further than Monaghan this year. Incidentally, where would they come in your ranking of Ulster counties? I'm from Meath, who made the last three Leinster finals, and Armagh beat us quite easily.

Ulster will have four teams in Div 1 next year. Leinster only 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Pipjam wrote: »
    What makes Monaghan the "second best team in ulster"?

Derry and Tyrone both operated in Division 1 of the League this year. Monaghan didn't.

Tyrone made an All Ireland semi final last year and beat Monaghan en route.

Armagh went further than Monaghan this year.

Ulster will have four teams in Div 1 next year. Leinster only 1.

Monaghan have got to the AI quarter final in the last 2 years and are the last team from Ulster to beat Donegal.They have had 2 consistent years back to back which other teams in ulster (apart from Donegal) haven't been able to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Dublin posters on Boards regularly say they'd love to get the opportunity to travel for championship games so why not put them to the test??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is no reason to think that Leinster would suddenly become way more comptetive. A look at the Roll of Honour will show that Dublin and Meath have always dominated with only an occasional incursion from other counties in the last 30 years. Who would suddenly emerge from the perennial also rans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leinster_Senior_Football_Championship#Roll_of_honour

Meath are not the same animal like they were in the 80's and 90's.
    I think if you take Dublin out of leinster it would be very even between Kildare, Meath and Wexford. Throw in Laois/Louth for the odd final appearance and it becomes very interesting.

Carlow and Wicklow would have a lot more chance of appearing in a final if Dublin were taken out and they happened to be in the eaasier side of the draw avoiding Kildare/Meath. Imagine what it would mean to those counties. I remember how devastated Louth were when they were robbed in the final v Meath in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Is this a wind up?

Meath are not the same animal like they were in the 80's and 90's.
    I think if you take Dublin out of leinster it would be very even between Kildare, Meath and Wexford. Throw in Laois/Louth for the odd final appearance and it becomes very interesting.

Carlow and Wicklow would have a lot more chance of appearing in a final if Dublin were taken out and they happened to be in the eaasier side of the draw avoiding Kildare/Meath. Imagine what it would mean to those counties. I remember how devastated Louth were when they were robbed in the final v Meath in 2010.

I don't think there is an argument for trying to make things more equal in Leinster unless you also make them more equal in Munster and Connacht. Where most counties are also perennial losers. Kerry have far more Munsters than Dublin have Leinsters. The obvious change would be 4 x 8 by moving a few counties into their neighbouring province but this would make things even easier for Dublin.

Monaghan have got to the AI quarter final in the last 2 years and are the last team from Ulster to beat Donegal.They have had 2 consistent years back to back which other teams in ulster (apart from Donegal) haven't been able to do.

I'm a Meath supporter and in the last two years I have watched Meath lose to Cavan, Monaghan x 3, Tyrone and Arnagh x 2.

For me there is a big difference between Ulster and Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

thoker wrote: »
    Better idea to split Dublin in two natural enemies North and South?. Dublin has thousands of players and that's why they are dominating, how many players have say Carlow to choose form?

Did i ****ing miss something.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Also if kerry and cork were moved to connaught with leitrim and sligo moving to munster along with antrim going to leinster. Down could go down to munster and meath back over to connaught. That should even up all the provinces and we would then have a proper provincial championship.

sammy37 wrote: »
    Also if kerry and cork were moved to connaught with leitrim and sligo moving to munster along with antrim going to leinster. Down could go down to munster and meath back over to connaught. That should even up all the provinces and we would then have a proper provincial championship.

Radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Personally, I find the provincial structure archaic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Sure why not move Roscommon footballers to Leinster and Cork hurlers to Leinster. Am I doing this right..?

Even if the hypothetical situation did arrive, Dublin would still end up playing all their games in Croker...

thelad95 wrote: »
    Sure why not move Roscommon footballers to Leinster and Cork hurlers to Leinster. Am I doing this right..?

Even if the hypothetical situation did arrive, Dublin would still end up playing all their games in Croker...

No, you're doing it all wrong. Hurling is competely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

In 3/4 of the country the provinces are broken as there is one clearly dominant force that will essentially cruise through. The thing is, they're still going to be there at the business end of the season regardless of structural changes. Hypothetically speaking in order to even up the provinces, you could just disband Ulster and scatter them throughout the other three competitions. (and i'm not saying i'm in favor of this, just thinking out loud)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Then you would have the problem of Dublin not coming out of Ulster.

In 3/4 of the country the provinces are broken as there is one clearly dominant force that will essentially cruise through (2 in Munster). The thing is, they're still going to be there at the business end of the season regardless of structural changes. Hypothetically speaking in order to even up the provinces, you could just disband Ulster and scatter them throughout the other three competitions. (and i'm not saying i'm in favor of this, just thinking out loud)

Just a small point of correction, but it doesn't really matter since as you say this is a pointless discussion.

The two horse race is really in Connacht where both Mayo and Galway have more provincial championships than Cork have in Munster. Galway also have more All Irelands than Cork 9 against 7. Meath also have 7. Cork are not really a force in historical terms compared to Kerry and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Just a small point of correction, but it doesn't really matter since as you say this is a pointless discussion.

The two horse race is really in Connacht where both Mayo and Galway have more provincial championships than Cork have in Munster. Galway also have more All Irelands than Cork 9 against 7. Meath also have 7. Cork are not really a force in historical terms compared to Kerry and Dublin.

point taken, post edited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

thoker wrote: »

And if Donegal win the All-Ireland this year will you be suggesting splitting them in two because they have won two All-Irelands in three years?

People won't be able to have it both ways. Either Donegal should be split in two as well or Donegal are undeserving winners.

thelad95 wrote: »

In hurling they have already moved Antrim and Galway into leinster so I fail to see how you seem to think this is far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

In hurling they have already moved Antrim and Galway into leinster so I fail to see how you seem to think this is far fetched.

The situation in hurling was completely different. Galway and Antrim basically had no provincial championship to compete in at all. The benefits of letting them play in Leinster were a no brainer.

In football the only logical changes I can see being made to the provincials would be to either make the provinces even numbers or to do away with them altogether. Suggesting moving Dublin into Ulster is in my opinion not only illogical and ridiculous, it is an insult to the other remaining Leinster counties

Hibbeler wrote: »
    The situation in hurling was completely different. Galway and Antrim basically had no provincial championship to compete in at all. The benefits of letting them play in Leinster were a no brainer.

In football the only logical changes I can see being made to the provincials would be to either make the provinces even numbers or to do away with them altogether. Suggesting moving Dublin into Ulster is in my opinion not only illogical and ridiculous, it is an insult to the other remaining Leinster counties

Personally I don't think it is an insult to the remaining Leinster counties. Leinster has become a joke competitively. Bar the 2010 one off where Meath won against Louth. Lienster is a one horse race.
    I think the quality of Leinster is harming the development of this potentially great Dublin team. This year they were not tested until September. Leinster was not in the least bit entertaining for Dublin supporters the sizes of the crowds showed this. Also for the neutrals the games were non-events.

Imagine the interest if Dublin were put in Ulster it would be massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Personally I don't think it is an insult to the remaining Leinster counties. Leinster has become a joke competitively. Bar the 2010 one off where Meath won against Louth. Lienster is a one horse race.
    I think the quality of Leinster is harming the development of this potentially great Dublin team. This year they were not tested until September. Leinster was not in the least bit entertaining for Dublin supporters the sizes of the crowds showed this. Also for the neutrals the games were non-events.

Imagine the interest if Dublin were put in Ulster it would be massive.

Mayo have it just as "easy" in Connacht, and Kerry often do as well in Munster because Cork collapse so often when they're playing them.

Mayo have it just as "easy" in Connacht, and Kerry often do as well in Munster because Cork collapse so often when they're playing them.

Have Mayo or Kerry only lost one competitive game in their province in the last decade? The poster above is right. I'm from Leinster myself and the standard apart from Dublin is embarrassing.

Pipjam wrote: »
    Have Mayo or Kerry only lost one competitive game in their province in the last decade? The poster above is right. I'm from Leinster myself and the standard apart from Dublin is embarrassing.

If someone looked at Leinster from 1974 to 1985 they would see a very similar thing. Dublin won 9 out of those 12 and only failed to make the final in one of those years. They also won 6 in a row which the teams of the last 10 years have not done. I would give it another 10 years to see what develops. It won't be the end of the world if Leinster becomes a one team province. It really has always been Dublin with Meath lagging far behind and the rest perennial also rans anyway.

The theory that Dublin are some now sort of super team was knocked on the head by Donegal. Don't assume that their recent dominance in Leinster will necessarily continue.

I'd like to see the back of the Provincial football championships. Even in Ulster Donegal are now forging ahead.

Anyone think its days are numbered??

freddiek wrote: »
    I'd like to see the back of the Provincial football championships. Even in Ulster Donegal are now forging ahead.

Anyone think its days are numbered??

Cavan won 17 out of 19 Ulsters from 1931 to 1949. But that didn't lead to the championship being abandoned and other teams emerged since. Two big teams have always dominated in the other three provinces. There is nothing new in recent times compared to the longer view so I doubt the format will be abandoned.

• Advertisement

Cavan won 17 out of 19 Ulsters from 1931 to 1949. But that didn't lead to the championship being abandoned and other teams emerged since. Two big teams have always dominated in the other three provinces. There is nothing new in recent times compared to the longer view so I doubt the format will be abandoned.

the GAA have always moved slowly when it comes to change. I'm not going to say the system is satisfactory just because that is the way things have always been done.

I think players these days want more out of the sport than pulling on your county jersey in a championship match and getting mauled by a much stronger side. Its no fun for them or spectators.

its time to get innovative with regard to the format for the football championship.

Advertisement