Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Picking up a new 508 on Friday - I think it's a great car. Stacks up well against the others in its class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Jawgap wrote: »
    Picking up a new 508 on Friday - I think it's a great car. Stacks up well against the others in its class.

Best of luck with it. I drove one for a while. Lovely, comfortable car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Best of luck with it. I drove one for a while. Lovely, comfortable car.

Had one for a 48 hr test drive and just thought it was lovely to drive.

As for the mechanicals, I didn't have to factor that in as it's being leased in.

But to be honest, even if it was my money, I think I'd still go with the 508 - I'm not sure why there's so much resistance against Peugeots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Jawgap wrote: »
    Had one for a 48 hr test drive and just thought it was lovely to drive.

As for the mechanicals, I didn't have to factor that in as it's being leased in.

But to be honest, even if it was my money, I think I'd still go with the 508 - I'm not sure why there's so much resistance against Peugeots?

Mechanically, in my experience, there's no issue whatsoever. Very well built car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Might be limiting myself a bit too much but i wouldnt buy the following,

Alfa Romeo - reliability issues, ive had too much bad luck with cars.
    Aston Martin - too expensive
    Audi - i only like ones i couldnt afford
    Chevrolet - meh
    Chrysler - meh
    Citroen - meh
    Daewoo - meh
    Fiat - meh
    Ford - meh
    Hyundai - meh
    Isuzu - dont like jeeps
    Jeep - jeeps
    KIA - meh
    Land Rover - jeeps
    Lexus - seem plasticy and crap
    Mazda - had an rx7 and an mx5, not interested in others.
    Mercedes-Benz - i dont like their seats and i dont like ratio of engine size to power.
    Mini - girls cars
    Opel - meh
    Peugeot - too french
    Renault - also too french
    Saab - ugly
    Skoda - if i had to buy a practical car id consider one.
    Smart - meh
    SsangYong - jeeps
    Subaru - had a couple
    Suzuki - meh
    Toyota - Id prefer something else.
    Vauxhall - meh
    Volkswagen - had a couple, dont like them.

I would buy

A nice bmw from an owners club in mint condition like an e36 or e34
    Id like a daihatsu mira trxxx as a runaround.
    Honda - if i was buying something practical there are a few id consider, id like my next bike to be a cbr.
    Lotus - not really a main brand but id like one.
    Mitsubishi - my 2nd car was a 1.3 lancer and i really hated it, id like an evo to make up for it.
    Nissan - i always wanted to buy a 200sx or 180sx, almost did a couple times, id like to get an r32 or r33 gtr someday.
    Volvo - i had a 940 and loved it, id like to buy one, restore it and heavly tune it.
    Jaguar - ive never driven one, id like one.
    Porsche - ive never driven one, id like to own one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

rowanh wrote: »
    Might be limiting myself a bit too much but i wouldnt buy the following,

Alfa Romeo - reliability issues, ive had too much bad luck with cars.
    Aston Martin - too expensive
    Audi - i only like ones i couldnt afford
    Chevrolet - meh
    Chrysler - meh
    Citroen - meh
    Daewoo - meh
    Fiat - meh
    Ford - meh
    Hyundai - meh
    Isuzu - dont like jeeps
    Jeep - jeeps
    KIA - meh
    Land Rover - jeeps
    Lexus - seem plasticy and crap
    Mazda - had an rx7 and an mx5, not interested in others.
    Mercedes-Benz - i dont like their seats and i dont like ratio of engine size to power.
    Mini - girls cars
    Opel - meh
    Peugeot - too french
    Renault - also too french
    Saab - ugly
    Skoda - if i had to buy a practical car id consider one.
    Smart - meh
    SsangYong - jeeps
    Subaru - had a couple
    Suzuki - meh
    Toyota - Id prefer something else.
    Vauxhall - meh
    Volkswagen - had a couple, dont like them.

I would buy

A nice bmw from an owners club in mint condition like an e36 or e34
    Id like a daihatsu mira trxxx as a runaround.
    Honda - if i was buying something practical there are a few id consider, id like my next bike to be a cbr.
    Lotus - not really a main brand but id like one.
    Mitsubishi - my 2nd car was a 1.3 lancer and i really hated it, id like an evo to make up for it.
    Nissan - i always wanted to buy a 200sx or 180sx, almost did a couple times, id like to get an r32 or r33 gtr someday.
    Volvo - i had a 940 and loved it, id like to buy one, restore it and heavly tune it.
    Jaguar - ive never driven one, id like one.
    Porsche - ive never driven one, id like to own one.

what do you actually drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

From past experience I would never buy a Saab (9-5) or Daewoo (who would) again. Had two VW's (Golf and Passat) which I loved and would definitely buy again and a Toyota Avensis which I never really liked after the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

rowanh wrote: »
    Suzuki - meh

Depends what you want from a car but my gf has a 08 Swift and its far from meh to drive. Great fun little yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hachiko wrote: »
    By the looks of that list, he walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

djimi wrote: »
    Depends what you want from a car but my gf has a 08 Swift and its far from meh to drive. Great fun little yolk.

Unlikely to ever had the b*lls to touch a GSXR either ;)

• Advertisement

Hachiko wrote: »

I have a ninja 250 and i drive a bmw 325 i own with my girlfriend.

djimi wrote: »

Yes, very true. I did actually drive one briefly a few years ago, was a bit of fun but if i was going to get something like that id prefer something like the Daihatsu i mentioned.

I do like suzuki motorbkes, I was going to buy a Suzuki sv650 but went for a ninja 250 as i thought it was a better bike to start on, id like to get a gsxr as maybe my third or fourth bike, it would depend on how i feel about sports bikes for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

3 cars I never liked so would never buy are the Nissan Micra, VW Beetle and a Mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Wouldn't buy:

Anything that isn't Japenese (or hasn't been built precisely by robots you 20+yrs, to within a whisker's whisker of accuracy and application of Kaizen process efficency methodologies). All my Previous UK {Fords/MG's/Vauxhalls} all fell apart at the seams <80k, wouldn't even glance at a French car unless Nichole from the ads was driving it topless.

I would buy:

1. Toyota: They only start to get run-in after 120,000 miles.
    2. Honda: Their wee 2 stroke 50cc motorbikes from the '70's are still buzzing about the place, no bother.
    3. Mitsubishi/Subaru - performance all the way.

ah if only Yamaha made cars too...

Time for Irish car manufacturing? If the Swedes (only 9 mill population) can do it, can 't be that hard n' sufficient demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Wouldn't buy:

Anything that isn't Japenese (or hasn't been built precisely by robots you 20+yrs, to within a whisker's whisker of accuracy and application of Kaizen process efficency methodologies). All my Previous UK {Fords/MG's/Vauxhalls} all fell apart at the seams <80k, wouldn't even glance at a French car unless Nichole from the ads was driving it topless.

I would buy:

1. Toyota: They only start to get run-in after 120,000 miles.
    2. Honda: Their wee 2 stroke 50cc motorbikes from the '70's are still buzzing about the place, no bother.
    3. Mitsubishi/Subaru - performance all the way.

ah if only Yamaha made cars too...

Time for Irish car manufacturing? If the Swedes (only 9 mill population) can do it, can 't be that hard n' sufficient demand.

Loads of Japanese cars are built overseas these days though, including models from Toyota and Honda and Mitsubishi. Many Japanese carmakers are also entering into collaborations with EU manufacturers these days too, sharing technologies and engines.

I think Japanese Cars are overrated nowadays. Other car makers have come along way over the last 15-20 years while the japs have regressed since then imo. The gap in quality and reliability between Japanese cars and other cars that existed back in the day isn't really there anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

True enough, for 2nd hand market Jap still the best, inc 10/20yr old models.

Those new S.Kor ones are good value and very tech driven, few brands from there do 7yrs/100,000 warranties, not bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Joe Doe wrote: »
    True enough, for 2nd hand market Jap still the best, inc 10/20yr old models.

Those new S.Kor ones are good value and very tech driven, few brands from there do 7yrs/100,000 warranties, not bad...

100,000 or 7 years doesn't cover the slow death the driver experience

visual wrote: »
    100,000 or 7 years doesn't cover the slow death the driver experience
    But it does cover mechanical items which is the main thing. A Kia is no worse to drive than most other mainstream brands nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A Kia is no worse to drive than most other mainstream brands nowadays.

A Kia is no cheaper than most mainstream brands, either. An i30 or Ceed costs about the same as an Auris or Focus.

• Advertisement

A Kia is no cheaper than most mainstream brands, either. An i30 or Ceed costs about the same as an Auris or Focus.

To be fair both the Cee'd and i30 are right up the Auris and the Focus though.

To be fair both the Cee'd and i30 are right up the Auris and the Focus though.

I'd agree, in that the Auris and the current Focus are both fairly crap, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

As opposed to what? If there was a car in that class that cost 20% less, has lower depreciation, cool factor, rock-solid reliability, does 60 mpg and is faster than anything else, we would all buy it. Or most of us, there are some who would not be seen dead in something that is perceived to be cheap, as showing off is, of course, a very important part of owning a car to some people.
    You can never have it all, so the right car is the one that does what the owner wants it to do at the right price.
    To some a Cooper S is the perfect car, for those of us who actually want to arrive at our destination there is no substitute for Toyota and if you want to be somewhere inbetween, most of anything else.

As opposed to what?

In that class, I'd prefer a Giulietta, Civic, Mazda 3, Leon, or Golf. Price/value vary a lot in that list, but all of those are better than the soul-sucking Auris.

The Focus is OK in a kind of Opel Astra way, but it's uglier and has less choices than the model it replaced, which is disappointing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

In that class, I'd prefer a Giulietta, Civic, Mazda 3, Leon, or Golf. Price/value vary a lot in that list, but all of those are better than the soul-sucking Auris.

The Focus is OK in a kind of Opel Astra way, but it's uglier and has less choices than the model it replaced, which is disappointing.

I think Golf is overrated and overpriced and people buy it because it is a Golf, even despite (or because) of the higher price for which they think they will get a car that is better built. Which it isn't.
    Focus, well I've had a few and it suffers mostly from the fact that people think "Oh, it's a Ford, they're shoite!", which they're not. So they're the car for the smart consumer. :cool::P:D
    Opel, can't see anything they have going for them. Would not have them compared to Fords. They may even be the brand I wouldn't buy. Had two, a 1983 Kadett (OK, I guess) and a 1993 Corsa (Fcuking dire!)
    And Ford being more of a German car now than Opels.
    Don't know about the rest, will have to take your word for it.
    My point is, there are some differences, real or perceived, but I don't think that there is any car in this segment (just for example) that anyone can say is head and shoulders and a few country miles ahead of the rest.

All 4 cars are fine, the i30 and cee'd are far from "crap" tbh.

All 4 cars are fine

Each one is just 4 meters of generic car. I'd really rather go back a few years and get something that I could actually like, even if the sticker price new is higher.

Just because you prefer those cars it doesn't mean that others do or that the alternative Focus, Auris, Cee'd, and i30 are "crap" or any worse than the cars mentioned by you in the above.

Each one is just 4 meters of generic car. I'd really rather go back a few years and get something that I could actually like, even if the sticker price new is higher.

And the Golf, Civic, Leon, Guiletta, and Mazda 3 aren't "generic"? :pac: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And the Golf, Civic, Leon, Guiletta, and Mazda 3 aren't "generic"? :pac: :rolleyes:

Yes, I think each of those has a bit more character than the Auris, Koreans, Astra and other "it's just a car" cars.

Advertisement