Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

conorh91 wrote: »
    If a foetus can be a "victim", then the foetus must have had some a priori rights that have been violated.

You cannot be a victim if none of your rights were violated in the first place.

An eaten apple, or a cooked chicken, or a scrambled egg can never be victims, because they never had any right not to be eaten, cooked, or scrambled in that manner.

If a dead foetus can ever be a victim by virtue of the manner of his dying (e.g. a bomb explosion), then that foetus-victim must have had some right to life to begin with.

you are getting beyond silliness now.

There are plenty of vegetarians who would argue that cows and pigs and chickens are victims.

Victimhood does not bestow rights, that is just nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Roastlamb wrote: »
    No foetus inside a human is the property of a human.

I think it's an outrageous statement to make, property not,the right word in any case.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91885352&postcount=2696

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Godge wrote: »
    you are getting beyond silliness now.

There are plenty of vegetarians who would argue that cows and pigs and chickens are victims.

Victimhood does not bestow rights, that is just nonsensical.
    Victimhood does not bestow rights, nobody said so.

Victimhood necessitates a priori rights. To be a victim, you must have suffered some act which is at variance with your rights.

Those people who would argue that slaughtered cows are victims, would argue that the same cows had certain rights not to be slaughtered.

I am not one of those people, I'm just pointing out the consistency of their approach, and the consistency that is required between victimhood and the possession of rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Victimhood does not bestow rights, nobody said so.

Victimhood necessitates a priori rights. To be a victim, you must have suffered some act which is at variance with your rights.

Those people who would argue that slaughtered cows are victims, would argue that the same cows had certain rights not to be slaughtered.

I am not one of those people, I'm just pointing out the consistency of their approach, and the consistency that is required between victimhood and the possession of rights.

not true. Your mistaken assumption is that all rights are equal.

Many people are victims of war. Some are soldiers, some are civilians, some of each have different cuplability. The rights they have as a result- vary.

Does the death of a crimelord have the same rights as a victim as an innocent 3-year old?

So yes, a fetus killed in a bombing may be a victim, but that does not confer rights, or even when it does, those rights are not equal.

This whole discussion is a silly diversion down an unrealistic premise.

Godge wrote: »
    not true. Your mistaken assumption is that all rights are equal.
    No it isn't. I have never suggested that all rights are equal.

I am attempting to determine whether or not foetuses have any rights, especially any right to life.

Claiming that I am equating all victims as equal in their victimhood is pure invention on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

geret wrote: »
    If someone is suicidal because of being in debt (for example) should the state step in and pay them to prevent the person from harming themselves?

Is there anything in the Constitution relating to this, whereby a person's right to life is protected due to suicide ideation brought on by debt?

Can you point it out to me??

If not, can you point out the Legislation, or provision under Common Law, which means the State is compelled act to vindicate a persons life in such circumstances??

volchitsa wrote: »
    They don't even have to prove they are suicidal, they can declare bankruptcy for far less than that. (I think in the south you depend on England to do the actual dirty work for you there too though).

Sounds familiar all right ;)

marienbad wrote: »
    Apologies , I think I mixed my posters up . I don't think I was discourteous though .

:confused:

That's OK......I never said you were discourteous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

marienbad wrote: »
    Not really, very few if any laws are based on individual opinion . They are based on public opinion, precedent,historical experience and a whole host of other factors .

And public opinion is made up of individual opinions. What exactly is the issue here? You're asking why my opinion is valid enough to be law. Why should yours? Why should anyones? Even the basic human rights people keep referring to are made based on opinion, as is the constitution. Can you explain why you think "it's only your opinion" is a valid reason not to legislate something?
    Umm, it's not a straw man. This is what a straw man argument is :
    http : // en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man (can't post links yet so you may need to copy and paste, after removing the extra spaces.)

You disagree with my analogy, but that isn't a straw man.

As for the analogy, the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't a good one.
    You repeat that all law is just opinion, and therefore majority opinion is the most valid basis for law. So if that is true, white majority racist opinion wins out over the opinion of the black minority victims of racist law, and a majority of people who don't want an abortion win out over the pregnant women wanting one.

There really is no difference in the logic behind both those situations. However ill at ease that makes you.

It's a complete strawman. You're premise is that that racism was wrong therefore all law can be wrong therefore abortion law is wrong. You haven't actually shown any tangible link between laws against abortion and laws which where racist. You've simply made the statement that they are one and the same.

So to summarise before any more stupid questions. All law is based on opinion, as are all our rights. People sat down and thought about what they didn't like and signed it into law. Trying to dismiss someones opinion on what the law should be by stating it's only their opinion is ludicrous as the exact same argument can be made against you

People keep using rape as some wildcard to try and dismiss all argument. There's an old legal principle which states that hard cases make bad law. You don't structure a law based on worst case scenarios. You structure it based on the normal and add exceptions. And unless someone has evidence that the majority of abortions are as a result of rape then it goes in the exception tab. To use an analogy. Most people except thieving is wrong. If you caught someone stealing you would want them to be punished. But what if the person you caught was stealing solely to feed his children. Most people would have sympathy. Does this mean we should legalise all theft just in case someone has to steal to feed their family? No, you introduce something else to make an exception for such a case.

Just to reiterate my position, I believe that after a certain stage of development a human life is created, a life which deserves the same rights as any other, primarily the right to life. Many people have this same position but place the stage of development at different times. As such, the childs rights must now be balanced with the mothers. For me, there must be a very good reason to terminate a life at this stage. To save the mothers life is a good one. The child being a product of rape is not. There's no doubt it can be traumatic on the mother but I don't see that as a good enough reason to terminate a life. People claim this makes the mother a second class citizen. Frankly, that's bull****, the only people creating second class citizens are the people who claim a life exists but downgrades that to "potential life" when it suits the situation. It's a hypocritical position without any thought.

As to the threat of suicide, I see no reason presented so far why an abortion should be considered in this case. What benefit is an abortion supposed to bring a person suffering depression?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There's an old legal principle which states that hard cases make bad law. You don't structure a law based on worst case scenarios.
    It's not a legal principle. It's a widespread legal myth. Law should always be structured with worst case scenarios kept firmly in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭volchitsa

And public opinion is made up of individual opinions. What exactly is the issue here? You're asking why my opinion is valid enough to be law. Why should yours? Why should anyones? Even the basic human rights people keep referring to are made based on opinion, as is the constitution. Can you explain why you think "it's only your opinion" is a valid reason not to legislate something?

It's a complete strawman. You're premise is that that racism was wrong therefore all law can be wrong therefore abortion law is wrong. You haven't actually shown any tangible link between laws against abortion and laws which where racist. You've simply made the statement that they are one and the same.

So to summarise before any more stupid questions. All law is based on opinion, as are all our rights. People sat down and thought about what they didn't like and signed it into law. Trying to dismiss someones opinion on what the law should be by stating it's only their opinion is ludicrous as the exact same argument can be made against you

People keep using rape as some wildcard to try and dismiss all argument. There's an old legal principle which states that hard cases make bad law. You don't structure a law based on worst case scenarios. You structure it based on the normal and add exceptions. And unless someone has evidence that the majority of abortions are as a result of rape then it goes in the exception tab. To use an analogy. Most people except thieving is wrong. If you caught someone stealing you would want them to be punished. But what if the person you caught was stealing solely to feed his children. Most people would have sympathy. Does this mean we should legalise all theft just in case someone has to steal to feed their family? No, you introduce something else to make an exception for such a case.

Just to reiterate my position, I believe that after a certain stage of development a human life is created, a life which deserves the same rights as any other, primarily the right to life. Many people have this same position but place the stage of development at different times. As such, the childs rights must now be balanced with the mothers. For me, there must be a very good reason to terminate a life at this stage. To save the mothers life is a good one. The child being a product of rape is not. There's no doubt it can be traumatic on the mother but I don't see that as a good enough reason to terminate a life. People claim this makes the mother a second class citizen. Frankly, that's bull****, the only people creating second class citizens are the people who claim a life exists but downgrades that to "potential life" when it suits the situation. It's a hypocritical position without any thought.

As to the threat of suicide, I see no reason presented so far why an abortion should be considered in this case. What benefit is an abortion supposed to bring a person suffering depression?
    Look, that isn't what a straw man argument is. A straw man argument is you say something and I misrepresent it to claim you said something different, something I can prove wrong, often because I couldn't disprove your original point.

I haven't done that. I've made a comparison you don't like. Not the same thing at all. And I stand by my comparison, which you haven't in any way disproved.

You have also gone off on a complete rant which is pointless and nonsensical. Rape isn't being used as wild card here, it is relevant to the thread, because the woman involved was apparently raped. She isn't suffering depression and found herself pregnant, she became suicidal because she is being forced to carry her rapist's child against her will. That may not bother you much, but it bothers a lot of people. She requested a termination in the first trimester, apparently made a suicide attempt at 16 weeks, and was then tricked/forced into a surgical "termination" at 25 weeks instead of the early termination she should have been entitled to, likely resulting in a seriously disabled baby.

You have ignored all that and more to insist on some nonsense about rape as a wild card.

Here are a few of the practical questions this case raises :
    - should she have been allowed a first trimester abortion when she requested it?
    If not, why not?
    - since the HSE was aware of her suicidality by 16 weeks (if not before) what caused the delay to 24 weeks? (Were mistakes made or is that an unavoidable delay due to how the law works?)
    If the latter, is a 25 week C-S a satisfactory outcome, or does the law absolutely need to be changed?
    If the outcome could be improved, how should that be done? Legislation? Better suicide detection? What?

If you have ideas for any of those, I'd be interested to hear them.
    Wrangling over rhetorical devices, not so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Apologies, I've dipped out of this thread, so I may have missed some developments.
    - since the HSE was aware of her suicidality by 16 weeks (if not before)
    Were they?
    If the latter, is a 25 week C-S a satisfactory outcome, or does the law absolutely need to be changed?
    I think the C/S at 25 weeks is a satisfactory outcome given the circumstances. There has to be a cut-off point beyond which abortion is not an option. In this case the woman wanted the abortion because (as I understand it) she could not face the thought of her rapist's child being born, but ultimately that's not a good enough reason to terminate once a specific threshold has been passed in gestation.
    If the outcome could be improved, how should that be done? Legislation? Better suicide detection? What?
    Simple information perhaps. Require of the HSE and any associated bodies, that any woman who asks for a termination has the law explained properly to them, including the fact that being suicidal is grounds for a termination.
    The law has been written to prevent women from "fooling" the system and obtaining an unlawful termination, therefore there's no moral or ethical risk in informing women that being suicidal is grounds for a termination.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Disgraceful state of affairs and it shows that we've really learned nothing since the Savita Halapanavar tragedy. Imagine growing up with the knowledge that you are the product of a rape? :mad:

Piliger wrote: »
    It's not a legal principle. It's a widespread legal myth. Law should always be structured with worst case scenarios kept firmly in mind.

And of course you only quote the part of my post which suits you. I never said worst case scenarios should be ignored. I said they shouldn't form the foundation of the law and should be considered as exceptions.
    Look, that isn't what a straw man argument is. A straw man argument is you say something and I misrepresent it to claim you said something different, something I can prove wrong, often because I couldn't disprove your original point.

I said all laws are based on opinion. You misrepresent me and claim I am justifying racist laws. You show how racist laws are wrong. You don't disprove my original claim (i.e. all laws are based on opinion) by instead proving something else (opinions can be wrong).

Perfectly fits your definition of a strawman.
    I haven't done that. I've made a comparison you don't like. Not the same thing at all. And I stand by my comparison, which you haven't in any way disproved.

What am I supposed to disprove? That racism is wrong?
    You have also gone off on a complete rant which is pointless and nonsensical. Rape isn't being used as wild card here, it is relevant to the thread, because the woman involved was apparently raped. She isn't suffering depression and found herself pregnant, she became suicidal because she is being forced to carry her rapist's child against her will. That may not bother you much, but it bothers a lot of people. She requested a termination in the first trimester, apparently made a suicide attempt at 16 weeks, and was then tricked/forced into a surgical "termination" at 25 weeks instead of the early termination she should have been entitled to, likely resulting in a seriously disabled baby.

Who said it doesn't bother me? Of course it does. Just because I don't believe a termination should be granted on the grounds of rape doesn't mean I don't believe the victim should no be supported in every way. I've yet to see any evidence presented of a person losing their suicidal thoughts because they got an abortion. To be honest, I think you show a lack of understanding of suicide. Someone doesn't want to commit suicide because of a single factor. There has to be a serious break down in mental health, a breakdown I do not believe would be prevented or reversed by an abortion. That's my opinion. If you can present me some evidence to refute it then I'll gladly consider it.
    - should she have been allowed a first trimester abortion when she requested it?
    If not, why not?

It would have been illegal in Ireland.
    - since the HSE was aware of her suicidality by 16 weeks (if not before) what caused the delay to 24 weeks? (Were mistakes made or is that an unavoidable delay due to how the law works?)

I would put the delay down to the fact that this is apparently the first case under the new legislation and the HSE is inefficient and slow at the best of times. The law is sufficient for what it was intended to do, the structures to support it are not. Do I think the law should be changed? Yes. Do I think the current law is unfit for its purpose? No.

What is suicide detection? If you're asking how the system could be improved under the current law then the HSE structures need to be there to allow quick resolution of any cases. If you're asking how the law should be improved in general then I've already outlined my views on what I think should and should not be allowed.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Disgraceful state of affairs and it shows that we've really learned nothing since the Savita Halapanavar tragedy. Imagine growing up with the knowledge that you are the product of a rape? :mad:

Better to be put down?

I said all laws are based on opinion. You misrepresent me and claim I am justifying racist laws. You show how racist laws are wrong. You don't disprove my original claim (i.e. all laws are based on opinion) by instead proving something else (opinions can be wrong).

Perfectly fits your definition of a strawman.
    No it doesnt because I didn't say the bit in bold.

And no, the point isn't that opinions can be wrong, but that it isn't true that laws are acceptable just because they are based on opinions. Which was what you are saying about abortion - if most people believe that abortion must be banned, even when they themselves aren't ever going to need one, that is enough to make such a law acceptable. But it isn't.

Most laws are not actually based on majority opinion alone, they start from certain fundamental ground rules (freedom of the individual, the right to possess property etc) and only limit those rights when there is felt to be good reason.

We accept laws making us wear seatbelts because we believe that the improvement in safety outweighs the loss of personal freedom. The improvement in safety is proven, and the "opinion" is whether or not you think that improvement is important enough to justify the loss of personal freedom involved. Not everyone does, so in the USA, seatbelts are not obligatory in all states. But there is no "opinion" about the safety aspect.

So your point that opinions set law is not correct on this case - to enforce a law on other people, there also has to be proof that the law is based on more than just opinion. And that isn't the case with the law on abortion. There is no scientific agreement on whether or when a fetus becomes a person with the same rights as anyone else.

The rest is mostly wrong too, but given your incapacity to understand the difference between an an analogy and a straw man, even after it's been explained, I think I'll wait before trying to explain the rest to you. Let it sink in a bit first. :)

Better to be put down?

This is nothing more that provocative incitement.

No it doesnt because I didn't say the bit in bold.

And no, the point isn't that opinions can be wrong, but that it isn't true that laws are acceptable just because they are based on opinions. Which was what you are saying about abortion - if most people believe that abortion must be banned, even when they themselves aren't ever going to need one, that is enough to make such a law acceptable. But it isn't.

I never said all laws were acceptable because they were popular. That was all you. I said that was how all laws were formed.
    Most laws are not actually based on majority opinion alone, they start from certain fundamental ground rules (freedom of the individual, the right to possess property etc) and only limit those rights when there is felt to be good reason.

We accept laws making us wear seatbelts because we believe that the improvement in safety outweighs the loss of personal freedom. The improvement in safety is proven, and the "opinion" is whether or not you think that improvement is important enough to justify the loss of personal freedom involved. Not everyone does, so in the USA, seatbelts are not obligatory in all states. But there is no "opinion" about the safety aspect.

So your point that opinions set law is not correct on this case - to enforce a law on other people, there also has to be proof that the law is based on more than just opinion. And that isn't the case with the law on abortion. There is no scientific agreement on whether or when a fetus becomes a person with the same rights as anyone else.

The rest is mostly wrong too, but given your incapacity to understand the difference between an an analogy and a straw man, even after it's been explained, I think I'll wait before trying to explain the rest to you. Let it sink in a bit first. :)

The fundamental ground rules you cite are also based on opinion. They didn't always exist and have evolved over time based on popular belief. Your basic argument is that my opinion should not be law because it cannot be proven that it is a life being extinguished. You completely ignore the fact that the same argument can be made in the negative.

I find the idea that a life is better off not being brought into the world rather than know their father was a rapist to be abhorrent and fully deserving of the language used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Militant pro-life bollox imo, along the lines of the infamous posters before the last abortion debates a couple of years ago.

I never said all laws were acceptable because they were popular. That was all you. I said that was how all laws were formed.

The fundamental ground rules you cite are also based on opinion. They didn't always exist and have evolved over time based on popular belief. Your basic argument is that my opinion should not be law because it cannot be proven that it is a life being extinguished. You completely ignore the fact that the same argument can be made in the negative.
    Look. What you originally said was this :
    I don't believe anyone is particularly anti-choice, I just think they put their limit at a different stage. I put it at 10 weeks, others put it at the point of conception. I chose my point based on my understanding of anatomy and my concept of sentience, they have likely done the same. Granted there are many who are probably guided by religion but many are simply motivated by the same thing I am, the urge to preserve life. They just believe it starts earlier than I do. They might be right.
    You claim that it is possible to be pro-choice while considering that life begins at the "point of conception", even in the case of rape, and that the "pro-choice" people who would do this are probably basing this on science of some sort (unless you mean that understanding based on complete ignorance is as valid as detailed knowledge of a domain?).

You still have not explained how such a person could consider themselves "pro-choice" when the woman was pregnant through rape. The fact that the rapist also removed her choice is true, but doesn't explain the second part, how you can say to someone that despite having no choice in getting pregnant, a "pro-choice" stance would be to make her remain pregnant until viability. That point of view exists, yes - but it isn't pro-choice, as you claimed.

• Advertisement

Look. What you originally said was this :
    You claim that it is possible to be pro-choice while considering that life begins at the "point of conception", even in the case of rape, and that the "pro-choice" people who would do this are probably basing this on science of some sort (unless you mean that understanding based on complete ignorance is as valid as detailed knowledge of a domain?).

You still have not explained how such a person could consider themselves "pro-choice" when the woman was pregnant through rape. The fact that the rapist also removed her choice is true, but doesn't explain the second part, how you can say to someone that despite having no choice in getting pregnant, a "pro-choice" stance would be to make her remain pregnant until viability. That point of view exists, yes - but it isn't pro-choice, as you claimed.

Actually that wasn't my original point. My original point was that labels such as anti-choice are as poorly chosen as ones like pro-abortion as they are very arbitrary and serve only to add unnecessary distraction and argument. The above was the example I used to illustrate that, which I think it has done quite well.

Actually that wasn't my original point. My original point was that labels such as anti-choice are as poorly chosen as ones like pro-abortion as they are very arbitrary and serve only to add unnecessary distraction and argument. The above was the example I used to illustrate that, which I think it has done quite well.

You repeating it doesn't make it true! It simply isn't possible to be pro-choice and remove all choice from a woman based only on your own beliefs, any more than one can be pro-democracy while setting up a military dictatorship. And no, I am no more accusing you of wanting to rule the world than I was accusing you of racism earlier. They are analogies, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

They are not poorly chosen labels, they are valid.

Pro-choice : the woman has a choice
    Anti-choice : the woman does not have a choice

If you deny the woman abortion, she does not have a choice.

Unless of course, you only tolerate intercourse when meant to procreate. Then yes, in a medieval bigot manner, you can claim that the heathen made her choice when she fornicated.

Thing is though, I think like Volchitsa that laws can become obsolete. They reflect the values and morals of society at one particular point in time.

The parallel with racism is perfectly valid : at one point in time, it was acceptable and moral to hold racist views, and this transcribed into law. Once society had moved on, these laws were rescinded.
    In a similar fashion the Irish Constitution needs to be amended to reflect the current morals and values rather than the obsolete ones, and that applies to the views on abortion. Not only have values, morals, and maybe in the Irish instance religious faith changed, but science has also progressed to the point where we are a lot more au fait with how viable and how sentient a foetus is (at a particular stage) than pre 1980s.

I think Ireland has moved on, and people are ready to change the law. I think it should be done as soon as possible so as to avoid complete disasters like Savita and this latest woman's experience.

I think you, Little CC, will soon have to trust that women can and will make the right choices.

As shown in the case of France, and probably the UK although I haven't paid attention to the numbers shown earlier in this thread, most women who opt to have an abortion in a legal context choose to do so at the earliest stages possible, well well away from the 25th week.

All it takes is to allow it.

I find the idea that a life is better off not being brought into the world rather than know their father was a rapist to be abhorrent and fully deserving of the language used.

What popular belief(s) gave rise to the legal systems of Athens and Rome? How were those popular beliefs ascertained.

What popular beliefs were ascertained to give rise to the Magna Carta, or the Ten Commandments or the Sermon on the Mount.

You have suggested that people are making the case that rape was a factor in the current case, as possible grounds for abortion.

Yet you and I and everyone who knows anything about the evolution of the current law granting restricted abortion rights to women, knows that rape was not the deciding factor, or even was considered in granting the right to abortion under "X".

The decision, and the interpretation of 40.3.3, allowed abortion solely based on the mothers right to life, as enumerated in 40.3.3. due to her life being under threat because of suicide ideation.

It really doesn't matter what you or I might think, that was and is the Law, now regulated by the recent legislation.

Your opinion should not be law because it is just that, your opinion.

If you were a member of a political party or a majority group within our parliament, and your opinion rhymed with that of your colleagues, then their collective opinion could indeed become law, if the Government/Executive decided to support and legislate.

But it would also need to be deemed Constitutional by another Power, included in the pillers of our Democratic system, the Courts, who interpret our laws and can rule on whether a particular law conforms with our Constitution.

Laws or Bills can be referred by various mechanisms, including citizens challenging via the Court system.

The President also has a role, reserved to him/herself, by which he/she can refer any legislation to the SC, for ruling on its compliance with our Constitution, before signing anything into Law, which is required for any Bill to become Law.

The sole and exclusive power of making laws for the State is vested in the Oireachtas and no other legislative authority has power to make laws for the State.

The Irish Supreme Court has refused to remove words from a piece of legislation in order to render such legislation constitutional. [Maher v Attorney General [1973] IR 412]

The Court held that such intrusion would involve "law making", and therefore this responsibility could only be performed by Parliament.

We are perfectly entitled to form opinions, but those don't matter, as the law has already been clarified by the interpretation of existing rights by the ISC, which decided what the enumerated rights in 40.3.3 meant, in the particular circumstances, and thereby meant in general as a matter of law, applying the tests the SC did.

It's not new law, it's not an unenumerated right, it is the right to life contained within the PLAC Amendment.

Mr. Binchey and Co. = Dr Frankenstein.

What have you done William??

And you were warned, before the 1983 PLAC Amendment, weren't you.

That figures.

The Irish Supreme Court has refused to remove words from a piece of legislation in order to render such legislation constitutional. [Maher v Attorney General [1973] IR 412]

The Court held that such intrusion would involve "law making", and therefore this responsibility could only be performed by Parliament.
    Yes but it's not a general rule.

The Court said that Article 15.4.2 of Bunreacht creates a rebuttable presumption that only part of a relevant, unconstitutional provision will be held to be inactive, under the doctrine of severability.

The case in Maher is therefore not something you should present as reflective some rule; it's the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

I find the idea that a life is better off not being brought into the world rather than <any reason you like> to be abhorrent ...

This I find strange. How is preventing a life from starting so abhorrent? A foetus before about 20 weeks has no mind, no consciousness, no personality ... it really is very much a potential person.

Are you equally exercised by people using contraception every time they have sex? After all, there is a good chance of a potential life not being brought into the world there as well.

Ridiculous comparison? Maybe it's not as ridiculous as you think.

Originally Posted by volchitsa
    All you are saying is that the fetus is alive, since it can be killed.
    No i am not. You're jumping the gun and arguing a point that was never made.

I am asking irishpancake whether, in his or her opinion, foetuses can be victims.

Hi conor, I am the male pancake variety :)

Honestly, I don't actually know where you were trying to get to in this circular argumentation....

I simply asked:
    I am interested in finding out just what legal rights attach to a "victim fetus", presumably expired?

I am asking about legal rights, under whatever law or constitutional provision?

I accept that that is not exactly what was said here:

Quote:
    if a foetus can be a victim, then a fortiori, a foetus is entitled to certain rights.

What certain rights, in the circumstances of a fetus which is a victim, presumably a dead fetus, in plain language?

Is it that this victim fetus may in fact be alive, and having the "potential" of surviving to viability?

So, the "fetal victim-hood" in these circumstances, would need further explanation and exploration.

I don't actually think the "Sunday roast" analogy is helpful, particularly in a discussion about potential human beings.

I think it will generate more heat than light, to the detriment of proper debate.

But I respect your right to make such analogy.

So, I will attempt to answer, even though I'm not entirely just what point you are making with all this stuff.

Q: can foetuses can be victims.

A: your point was about an expired "victim foetus"....I don't believe it is possible to either vindicate or assert the rights of something which no longer exists, and will never exist in human or any other form.

But, before an expiration event, this fetus [unborn] had that right, which is acknowledged by the Irish Constitution, the right to life, which it guarantees to respect, defend and vindicate, equally with the right to life of the mother, but only as far as is practicable:
    The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

It is impossible to respect, defend or vindicate the right to life of a dead, or expired, entity, the so-called "victim foetus" as that is simply not practicable.

I hope this satisfies your query.

All the above is as provided for in the Irish Constitution.

I don't know what the so-called victim-hood of a previously unexpired, but now expired, "foetus victim" is meant to mean, in real world terminology.

That's why I asked those questions I have quoted above.

I simply don't know what you are getting at, or what point you are attempting to prove or disprove.

Honestly, at this stage, I don't think you are entirely sure yourself, beyond argumentation which goes round and round, and ends up again where it first started.

So, I'm finished with this particular aspect of the on-going debate. Cheers.

Q: can foetuses can be victims.

A: your point was about an expired "victim foetus"....I don't believe it is possible to either vindicate or assert the rights of something which no longer exists, and will never exist in human or any other form.

But, before an expiration event, this fetus [unborn] had that right, which is acknowledged by the Irish Constitution
    I'm just going to quote this part because i'm afraid you have wasted your time with the rest of that long post.

I have not been speaking about legal or constitutional rights. The law on the 8th amendment, and on the PLP Act, is fairly clear.

My point has been about moral rights, which are not contingent on legal interpretation, but on the underlying moral belief system of the population, which ought to, but may not, find its reflection in legislation.

So to get back to my point, it is that most people will be of the opinion that a foetus may have a "right to life" in its own right.

The reason I can say this is because most people will agree that it is morally wrong to injure the foetus in utero, say in a bomb explosion or in a violent attack, above and beyond the immediate physical injury it creates for a woman.

In other words, most people will count the foetus as being a "victim" of that attack. If he is "a victim", the foetus has had some right violated; presumably, his right to life.

Even among "pro-choice" people, this argument is relatively uncontroversial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

So to get back to my point, it is that most people will be of the opinion that a foetus may have a "right to life" in its own right.

The reason I can say this is because most people will agree that it is morally wrong to injure the foetus in utero, say in a bomb explosion or in a violent attack, above and beyond the immediate physical injury it creates for a woman.

In other words, most people will count the foetus as being a "victim" of that attack. If he is "a victim", the foetus has had some right violated; presumably, his right to life.

I think it's slightly more nuanced than that. If a foetus is killed in utero, the "harm" is two-fold. Obviously the foetus itself is destroyed. But I think most people are empathising, not with the foetus in such a situation, but with the woman. A wanted baby being killed is a crime, it could be argued, less against the foetus but more against the parents. So the victim could be the woman or parents moreso than the foetus itself.

Advertisement