Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokken Tournament

Options
  • 26-08-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Umm... yay?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Streetfighter X Pokemon X Tekken...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Damned right yay. GET HYPE.

This could actually be the biggest fighting game ever, when you think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looks like another reason to consider a WiiU.

*edit*

Oh wow, this was hinted at last year, and noone paid attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I remember this being "accidentally" mentioned last year. According to the pokémon forums here on boards, it'll be Japan only and arcade only. I like the look of it- pokémon and fighting games? That's all my favourite things! I just hope that the character roster doesn't only feature Fight types.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    I remember this being "accidentally" mentioned last year. According to the pokémon forums here on boards, it'll be Japan only and arcade only. I like the look of it- pokémon and fighting games? That's all my favourite things! I just hope that the character roster doesn't only feature Fight types.

There is frankly no way it will be Japan only and arcade only.

It might debut there, but it will not remain so.

There is frankly no way it will be Japan only and arcade only.

It might debut there, but it will not remain so.

Indeed. Ignoring for a moment that this is Nintendo's biggest cash-cow and a functional money-printer, if this was to be a Japan-exclusive, there's no way in hell the first teaser would be released in English.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm quite interested in this. I haven't really played fighting games since I had a few of the Tekken games on PS1/PS2, but if/when this comes out over here I'll probably have a go at it at some point. I guess the roster will be just limited to fighting types, which gives them around 30 odd characters if they just do fully evolved pokémon, to 46 if they have the lot in.

Angron wrote: »
    I'm quite interested in this. I haven't really played fighting games since I had a few of the Tekken games on PS1/PS2, but if/when this comes out over here I'll probably have a go at it at some point. I guess the roster will be just limited to fighting types, which gives them around 30 odd characters if they just do fully evolved pokémon, to 46 if they have the lot in.

29 to be exact! :)

Primeape
    Poliwrath
    Machamp
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmonchan
    Heracross
    Hitmontop
    Blaziken
    Breloom
    Hariyama
    Medicham
    Infernape
    Lucario
    Toxicroak
    Gallade
    Emboar
    Conkeldurr
    Throh
    Sawk
    Scrafty
    Mienshao
    Cobalion
    Terrakion
    Virizion
    Keldeo
    Meloetta
    Chesnaught
    Pangoro
    Hawlucha

Since Mega Lucario's in the trailer, looks like other Mega forms will be on the table too. One or two of the not-fully-evolved ones will probably make it in too.

Would be gdlk if evolving was a meter burning mechanic. Bloody roar lives!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Since Mega Lucario's in the trailer, looks like other Mega forms will be on the table too. One or two of the not-fully-evolved ones will probably make it in too.
    Aye, plus there's at least one new fighting type mega evolution in the upcoming 3DS game, there could be more yet to come.

Would be gdlk if evolving was a meter burning mechanic. Bloody roar lives!

Yes, yes, and yes some more! That would be amazing. Also, on the side of amazing imaginary ideas, if this ran off the Tekken control scheme (one button for each limb) and each button represented each of Machamp's arms.

Also, in response to the arcade/japan only topic, I hope you're right, lads, because I'd happily sell your granny to get a go of this.

As I said above, I'm hoping the roster is not limited to fighting types. Put quite brutally, I think fighting type pokemon, for the most part, are pretty boring.

Maybe they could incorporate some other types such as rock or ground, but fighting has an advantage for this style of game in that most of that type are already humanoid looking.

There's a few of the fighting types I'd be a big fan of, like Heracross, Machamp, and Hitmonlee.

Th characters have to be at least vaguely humanoid for a game to work like this. Dark types like Weavile, Bisharp and Greninja for instance could work, but you're not getting something like Pikachu.

What I'm most interested in is whether there will actually be type-based damage rules in play like the main Pokemon games. Could be interesting, but tricky as hell to balance.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. Dunno if they'll do the type effectiveness stuff. I mean, it's a pretty integral part of the series, but as you said balancing would be something of an issue.

Maybe they could incorporate some other types such as rock or ground, but fighting has an advantage for this style of game in that most of that type are already humanoid looking.

There's a few of the fighting types I'd be a big fan of, like Heracross, Machamp, and Hitmonlee.

The fact that they're all fairly humanoid is what makes their character designs quite boring, in my oppinion.
    Th characters have to be at least vaguely humanoid for a game to work like this. Dark types like Weavile, Bisharp and Greninja for instance could work, but you're not getting something like Pikachu.

What I'm most interested in is whether there will actually be type-based damage rules in play like the main Pokemon games. Could be interesting, but tricky as hell to balance.

I don't really agree. Fighters aren't really known for playing it safe, so going nuts and adding non-humanoids could really work. Look at Smash, for example. Some mad characters involved there. Also, doesn't BlazBlue have a splodge as a fighter? I suppose it would be more awkward in 3D that 2D to go wild like that though.

I reckon type match-ups would probably ruin the entire idea of a Pokémon fighting game. Kinda hoping Types are left at the door with this one.

deathrider wrote: »
    The fact that they're all fairly humanoid is what makes their character designs quite boring, in my oppinion.

They're the Fighting type. Not quite sure what else you should expect from them.

I don't really agree. Fighters aren't really known for playing it safe, so going nuts and adding non-humanoids could really work. Look at Smash, for example. Some mad characters involved there. Also, doesn't BlazBlue have a splodge as a fighter? I suppose it would be more awkward in 3D that 2D to go wild like that though.

Exactly. If this were Smash, or something developed by ArcSys or Capcom, I'd say go crazy. 2D is the place crazy hit boxes and weird movement like Arakune (the splodge), Hugo or Dhalsim.

This is 3D though, being developed by Namco - more specifically the Tekken team. This is going to be all about rush-down, big combos and juggles. Character hurt boxes need to be relatively uniform, especially with regard to height. Have you tried fighting Gon in Tekken 3? Or Yoda in Soul Calibur IV? Their mere existence breaks the game.

Gon was a colossal pain in the arse to hit, I can't speak for Yoda.

Gon was a colossal pain in the arse to hit, I can't speak for Yoda.
    Exactly the same deal, except that a great many of his attacks involved leaping. Not only was unhittable by high attacks, he was almost impossible to react to - especially his throws. Banned from tournament play, and justifiably so.

They're the Fighting type. Not quite sure what else you should expect from them.
    [/QUOTE

Nothing really. They are what they are, but I still find them boring.
    Exactly. If this were Smash, or something developed by ArcSys or Capcom, I'd say go crazy. 2D is the place crazy hit boxes and weird movement like Arakune (the splodge), Hugo or Dhalsim.

This is 3D though, being developed by Namco - more specifically the Tekken team. This is going to be all about rush-down, big combos and juggles. Character hurt boxes need to be relatively uniform, especially with regard to height. Have you tried fighting Gon in Tekken 3? Or Yoda in Soul Calibur IV? Their mere existence breaks the game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Yes, I remember Gon. Had a run in with him lately, in fact. And, yes, he comprised entirely of other peopl's headaches. I don't play Soul Cal, so I also can't say anything about Yoda's case. However, Soul Cal IV was about a hundred years ago, and Tekken 3 was a thousand before that. There's a chance that, at this stage, someone within the Tekken team may have come up with a solution. Also, non-humanoid Pokémon doesn't necassarily mean tiny. There are plenty of non-fighting big dudes to choose from without having to go for Pachirisu or Pikachu. Blastoise looks like a bug lad. Charizard is five foot or so. I'd say there's a whole lot more in there too.

However, every game ever should have Pachirisu in it. Not just Pokémon games either. I want to see him in Resident Evil, God of War, Call of Duty, GTA, Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat; you name it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

There are a few mad hitboxes in Tekken Tag 2, Kunimitsu has a ****ed up hurtbox afaik and so does Zaf, Fergus can probably comment more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

All this talk of only having fighting types in it? Y'all are ****ing crazy to think Pikachu aint going to be in this. ****ing monster crazy.
    My random out of my ass assumption: Every character is going to have a Mega Form and it'll work like X-Factor. This game will debut Mega Pikachu.
    Not even joking.

Sairus wrote: »
    All this talk of only having fighting types in it? Y'all are ****ing crazy to think Pikachu aint going to be in this. ****ing monster crazy.
    My random out of my ass assumption: Every character is going to have a Mega Form and it'll work like X-Factor. This game will debut Mega Pikachu.
    Not even joking.

Pocket monster crazy? :pac:

I'll be honest, it was refreshing to see something pokémon related being announced without Pikachu being rammed down our throats. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't in the game alright. It would be like Street Fighter without Ryu.

As far as the Mega Evolutions go, does Machamp have a Mega? I know the other two lads we've seen (Lucario and Blaziken) do.

Pikachu will be in the game, he will be easy to use and he'll be balanced and have a bit of everything.

Not our first time at this rodeo!

The more I think about this, the more I'm intrigued and want to see more. Who'll be in it? Which way will the contols work? Are they going for a straight Tekken set-up? How many Bidoof can you fit in a pokécenter? Too many questions!

It'd be kinda funny if at the end of each battle you saw the loser being stretchered off to the pokémon centre :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Ramza wrote: »
    There are a few mad hitboxes in Tekken Tag 2, Kunimitsu has a ****ed up hurtbox afaik and so does Zaf, Fergus can probably comment more

Kuni's hitbox has been patched like a month after she came out, Zafina's hitbox is pretty standard for a female, it's just when she goes into MNT/TRT stance, it can get funky but it looks like what it is.

Angel is prob the only char now that has a slightly weird hitbox, apparently King's f4 whiffs on her crouching (the homing mid)

But that's for another thread : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is everyone serious ? this looks awful.
    Pokemon is dead as well.

It died after GOLD and SILVER.

yellow. never forget.

Placebo wrote: »
    Pokemon is dead as well.

yellow. never forget.
    I beg to differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Placebo wrote: »
    Pokemon is dead as well.