Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CX beginner training in Dublin?

Options
  • 27-08-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭

Any more of us wanting to give CX a try, but unsure where and how to start?

How about meeting in one of the parks for some newbie training, on weekday evenings or weekends?

Which parks have open policy about bikes? (Phoenix Park?)

Anyone experienced willing to share some tips&tricks?

whew, so many questions :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Alek wrote: »
    Any more of us wanting to give CX a try, but unsure where and how to start?

How about meeting in one of the parks for some newbie training, on weekday evenings or weekends?

Which parks have open policy about bikes? (Phoenix Park?)

Anyone experienced willing to share some tips&tricks?

whew, so many questions :-)

Phoenix Park is perfect for training. I am looking to arrange a women's training group for this season, but not aware of a similar group for men. Some of us found the Tuesday Team Worc group too fast/advanced, so want to do our own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Any reason why (basic) training should be gender specific? :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'd be interested in meeting up for some training....I'm in no position to give tips though, as you saw first hand Alek :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As Nak says, no beginner training going on i'm aware of, though if you're in a club maybe ask some of the members?

Otherwise yea, Phoenix park is grand, quite wide open and never that busy unless a running event or concerts are on..

Also you can have a look at the likes of this:

Any reason why (basic) training should be gender specific? :)

Because boys smell. Main reasons, we race each other, not the men and it's less intimidating for some - my first experience of cross training was being the only woman among ~ 50 men who were not shy about shoving me/overtaking very closely. I had no off-road experience, so lets just say I didn't enjoy it too much.

• Advertisement

'd be interested in meeting up for some training..

As I saw first hand you were doing great, at least in the eye of a first time CX race spectator :)

Phoenix Park will be ok for you I guess? We could meet around 7:30 and train a bit before darkness comes? :)
    though if you're in a club maybe ask some of the members?

I am in the exclusive boards.ie club and this is exactly what I'm doing ;)
    Because boys smell.

... nice. :D
    Main reasons, we race each other, not the men and it's less intimidating for some

Fair enough. :)

nak wrote: »
    Because boys smell. Main reasons, we race each other, not the men and it's less intimidating for some - my first experience of cross training was being the only woman among ~ 50 men who were not shy about shoving me/overtaking very closely. I had no off-road experience, so lets just say I didn't enjoy it too much.

Fair play to you, would be great to see more women taking up CX, and having Female only training groups will certainly encourage more to take it up in less intimidating atmosphere...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

As I saw first hand you were doing great, at least in the eye of a first time CX race spectator :)

Phoenix Park will be ok for you I guess? We could meet around 7:30 and train a bit before darkness comes? :)

Sounds good to me, most evening are good for me as are weekends..so let me know when you want to get started.

so let me know when you want to get started.

I'll pick up some tires tomorrow evening and update this thread, ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm in. Work is very close to the Park and I need to justify the cost of the bumpy tires. Keep me posted. :)

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Fair play to you, would be great to see more women taking up CX, and having Female only training groups will certainly encourage more to take it up in less intimidating atmosphere...

That's what we're hoping. Fell through last year and mostly trained on my own or with my husband and friends, but they are A racers (good for learning technical stuff, but they have to slow down for me).

We made portable barriers, had a trial session using them in Phoenix Park on Sunday, worked well, it's hard work doing dismounts and remounts over and over again.

There's a beginners skills session up North, but it is on the same day as the Grange Castle race.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

If anyone is interested in heading up north, there's a CX training day being held by the Ulster off-road commission in Sept, details and pre-registration here

http://www.ulstercyclocross.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=75&Itemid=34

QueensGael wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in heading up north, there's a CX training day being held by the Ulster off-road commission in Sept, details and pre-registration here

http://www.ulstercyclocross.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=75&Itemid=34

Same day as first race of Fixx league unfortunately. Was in talks with some of the more experienced female crossers from Ulster and they were keen to organise a women's intro to cross day.

Ulster's too far on a bike after work. But thanks :)

Ulster's too far on a bike after work. But thanks :)

It's on a Sunday. Worth going up to the races in Ulster, hoping to do one or 2 myself if I can get a lift up. They're very well organised and a lot of fun (can be more muddy than the races here).

It's on a Sunday.

Even worse. Weekend = family time, full day out is a no-no.

Even worse. Weekend = family time, full day out is a no-no.

Hopefully time out for racing is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DKO

I have raced the last few seasons, am not a very good CX'er, but would like to join a few people who might like to do training rides over the next few months. I live in D16. Maybe we can get something organised in that area to compliment and/or be in addition to the tougher sessions (which I will try to do, they are tough but great to bring one up to race, or in my case what passes for, race pace)- perhaps for improving basic skills? One month to first race and a fair few second hand CX bikes available around the place... perfect time to get into this.

Wow, bad wifi connection, in the time it took me to post looks like all of this has gone and been organised! Great! Might try to hook up with you guys if it works?

It's on a Sunday. Worth going up to the races in Ulster, hoping to do one or 2 myself if I can get a lift up. They're very well organised and a lot of fun (can be more muddy than the races here).

Lurgan and Lady Dixon are the best out of the series, both 90mins or less drive from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

DKO wrote: »
    a fair few second hand CX bikes available around the place...

Ooo, have you seen any nice smallish ones? My BTW isn't kicking in for another 6 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I will keep an eye on this as I intend on doing a bit more training this year. I'll be getting back on the cross bike in time for the 28th Sept race, I think. Few weeks off after this weekend, then up on it again!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

McNally Swords CC are going to be doing some introductory CX training skills sessions, beginning this Saturday. Details, including location, are to follow (would guess in or around Swords). Not sure at this time whether it's restricted to club members either.

QueensGael wrote: »
    Ooo, have you seen any nice smallish ones? My BTW isn't kicking in for another 6 months[/QUOTE

Heard of a few for sale in the UK, but nothing here. Sometimes crop up on Ebay, on of the Swords guys was selling off bikes last winter, not sure if they sold. He is probably the same person doing the training sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beasty wrote: »
    McNally Swords CC are going to be doing some introductory CX training skills sessions, beginning this Saturday. Details, including location, are to follow (would guess in or around Swords). Not sure at this time whether it's restricted to club members either.

It is restricted to club members only.

Raam wrote: »

That's a pity. Would be good to have a day similar to the one up North. Loads of cross clinics in the US and UK now and people pay good money for them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Been speaking to one of the organsers tonight. Space is relatively limited and therefore they can only handle maybe 8/10 risers a session. Depending on interest shown they may open it up a little to non-members on subsequent events

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

That's a pity. Would be good to have a day similar to the one up North. Loads of cross clinics in the US and UK now and people pay good money for them.

Join the club so.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Join the club so.

Would love to, but I'm already in a Southside club and Swords is far far away ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Would love to, but I'm already in a Southside club and Swords is far far away ;)

Nowhere in Dublin is far far away from anywhere else in Dublin!

You can join two clubs you know. A Northside club might be good for you. Take the sheen off of you!

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Nowhere in Dublin is far far away from anywhere else in Dublin!

You can join two clubs you know. A Northside club might be good for you. Take the sheen off of you!

I didn't realise that, had to get a letter of release go switch before. Don't know if Crumlin has that Southside sheen ;)

Advertisement