Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'd be arriving suited and booted as well. Would rather have to dress down if I was too formal than rush to throw a suit on if I was too casual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Hmmm... hope it isn't too hot or raining on the day, or the walk from the train station to the college in a suit carrying all my gear will be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Hmmm... hope it isn't too hot or raining on the day, or the walk from the train station to the college in a suit carrying all my gear will be a nightmare.

If it rains I'll be in the same position. Screwed and in a soaking wet suit but I'll still have a smile on my face while walking through templemore

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Pint for the guy (2 for a gal) who shows up in a mankini.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Wait till one of ye fcuk up on parade.

Try doing laps of the college in your suits and parade shoes and then possibly press ups

Ahhhh the fond memories of Templemore :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

in case its raining here is one taxi number for Templemore 087 8191818 . if not available im sure they might recommend someone. maybe phone in advance it check if available. Im sure there are taxi numbers available in the train station

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Well, had my last day in work yesterday... It's all starting to finally sink in now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nugent0

For the lads suiting and booting, what sorta suiting will you be doing? Plain oul gear or bright 'look at me, I'm new' colours? Or would it matter? Also, would it matter what shoe colour you wore, i.e., stick to black or would brown and the like be OK?

You're going to work, not to a wedding. Keep a lid on your atire unless you truly want to bring attention to yourself.

I'll be sporting a 2 piece charcoal with black shoes, black socks, white shirt and neutral tie. Leave any waistcoats and 'salmon' shirts at home.

Don't be the Ian Poulter of Templemore - you will regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nugent0

Weddings are the only reason I have suits.
    Hence my asking.

• Advertisement

Same here. It's not the suit though so much as the shirt and tie.

Unless you're Rory McIlroy. Then it's the suit.

Rory+McIlroy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Oh lord haha.

Jim Carey's suit in Dumb and Dumber might be a good one ?
    Includes a top hat and cane.

Can't go wrong with black or grey really can ye. Can use them again and again.

Suitwise, I'm fine. Mostly dreading the fact that I've to shave. Haven't been clean shaven in about six years. I currently look like Tom Hanks in Castaway. I'm gonna end up looking like a completely different person when I take it all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Suitwise, I'm fine. Mostly dreading the fact that I've to shave. Haven't been clean shaven in about six years. I currently look like Tom Hanks in Castaway. I'm gonna end up looking like a completely different person when I take it all off.

You did shave for your interview yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JoannieG

3 words guys - conservative, conservative, conservative!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Hey folks.

Have we all read over that pension stuff?

I'm having a little trouble grasping it, but is the thrust of it that we have to work 35 years to get the full pension of 50% (35/70th) of career average?

Any opinions?

D Trent wrote: »
    You did shave for your interview yes?

Nope, trimmed a bit to tidy it up but was still bearded.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭eroc79

Rothmans wrote: »
    Hey folks.

I'm having a little trouble grasping it, but is the thrust of it that we have to work 35 years to get the full pension of 50% (35/70th) of career average?

Any opinions?
    I know at moment guards can pay extra into their pension to make up for a shortfall in the number of years worked by retirement. It can be spread over the years of employment or can be paid in a lump sum. Don't know if the same will apply to new recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

eroc79 wrote: »
    I know at moment guards can pay extra into their pension to make up for a shortfall in the number of years worked by retirement. It can be spread over the years of employment or can be paid in a lump sum. Don't know if the same will apply to new recruits.

I'll have to have another look at it to get my head around it, but it looks like anybody under the age of 24/25 will have to by back years (given that there is a mandatory retirement age of 60). Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

I could be completely wrong, but there's a good chance that the retirement age will be increased a little by the time we reach that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I'll have to have another look at it to get my head around it, but it looks like anybody under the age of 24/25 will have to by back years (given that there is a mandatory retirement age of 60). Or am I wrong?

No no no your wrong. :D

Under 25 or for that matter under 30 years you dont. think about it, start at 30 or under then 30 years later your 60 or younger.. your 30 is done you dont need to buy back years.

the higher age bracket however 30+ will have to buy back years (if they want that is) unless they have years they can carry from previous state jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Hey folks.

Any opinions?

Think its been answered already but it is 30years for AGS. You pay in a higher percentage annually of your salary than other public workers as it is a shorter service.

For those of us over 30, yes you can buy the extra years if you wish, normally spread out over a few years rather than in a lump but can opt for lump payments I believe.

But I would expect the retirement age will be increased again a few times in the next 25-30 years!!!

I'm 32 so will be looking into buying back the two years over the course of the other 28. Shouldn't add too much in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

So what is everyone bringing for the induction week. Suits, swimming stuff, gym gear or just money for the pub? Dunno what exactly i will need during the first week.

Was wondering this myself. It's just induction week so I don't think there will be much in the way of physical training going on but then I wonder how they will fill 4 days with just talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Upthedubs2014

How much physical training is involved during training? I mean how long everyday? What activities are compulsory? I am hoping to be in next intake so it would be good to prepare myself. Do you think that training ends at 5 and after that you can do what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

It says in our email where we got the offer that we'll be doing first aid training, manual handling and life saving the first week so we'll need swimming gear and probably the college tracksuit the first week id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

21days to DDay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Was wondering this myself. It's just induction week so I don't think there will be much in the way of physical training going on but then I wonder how they will fill 4 days with just talking.

I was thinking more along the lines of bringing gym gear to keep myself busy. But there we go first aid in the first week. ill have to go buy some ball stranglers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Hey folks,
    You know (a) - (e) on the sportswear list, the stuff we have to buy from the Garda shop, any idea what kinda money we're looking at? I presume we'd need a couple of each of the polo and t shirts. The formal shoes could be pricey too. Yikes. We did awesome to get in, but it's working out quite expensive! :-/ I wonder is any of it subsidised?
    Thanks

Advertisement